Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

The 206th Merseyside Derby - Post Match Discussion.

Read 19452 times
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Re: The 206th Merseyside Derby - Post Match Discussion.
      Reply #299: Oct 21, 2007 04:10:10 pm
      As much as i believe stevie doesnt control a game, he is however extremely influencial...his presence in a game has a huge affect on the players.
      Secondly, the whole point of football is to keep posession of the ball, and ultimately run the opposition into the ground. With momom, i really cant see any positives in his game. He wins the ball, and loses it, or he wins the ball and passes to the opposition. Personally, there is no point in winning the ball more times than any other player on the park (momo) and then giving the ball away, it doesnt mean anything to me if he wins the ball 1000 times in one game...if his EFFICIENCY is low IE: he gives the ball away equally as much as winning it, or close to it- we dont need that...that is pointless, and i believe the team suffers from it in an attacking sense....we also suffer from a posession perspective, we try hard to win the ball, our wingers and strikers are making runs, and momo passes to the opposition.
      I was impressed with Lucas, and he has a great reputation in Brazil.....i believe we give him more game time, and seriously consider the future of momo....
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #300: Oct 21, 2007 04:33:52 pm
      Fair comments as always Eddie but note the following:

1.The only other bit I disagree with is about Riise's free kick, I'll have to watch a replay but I'm pretty sure Howard had it covered before the deflection, and for me it was a weak shot considering what we all know he can do.
      2. who the hell is Audriy Voronin?

1. Yea fair enough he looked like he had it but he also looked like he had Kuyt's second penalty, dived the right way and everything and I think he even got a slight touch but without the deflection on Riise's kick you never know as he ain't the best set piece keeper is he?

2. Sorry my bad I'm not too hot on me Ukrainian grammer :D

AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #301: Oct 21, 2007 04:42:48 pm
      Jammy and Donrafael stop bitching with each FFS, we won today didn't we, your like two old women, you should be celebrating, not bitching ::)

You tell em MsG!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #302: Oct 21, 2007 05:04:10 pm

I think they need me to sort them out, big kids!!! :f_steam:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #303: Oct 21, 2007 07:32:44 pm
      that match had everything i wanted, a victory for us, some comedy, a reason for the evertonians to cry about (melwood members now liking their lips like me ;D) and finally some kick ass kung-fu from dirk kuyt
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #304: Oct 21, 2007 08:10:35 pm
      Kuyt tackle would have seriously damaged Neville had he not jumped... pity he jumped really.

I would gadly give up a red card for seriously damaging any member of the Neville family...
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #305: Oct 21, 2007 09:32:22 pm
      Kuyt tackle would have seriously damaged Neville had he not jumped... pity he jumped really.

I would gadly give up a red card for seriously damaging any member of the Neville family...

:lmao: even Neville Neville
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #306: Oct 21, 2007 10:37:29 pm
      My view of the derby was slightly impaired  as I was watching it on my mobile phone on the way back to London after a short visit to Liverpool.  >:(
      Sami helped the Blues get on the score sheet with a deft little flick and whilst Reds' hearts must have sunk for a while it was clear that the small team across Stanley Park were not capable of scoring themselves, even at home!
      Step up Stevie G with a thundering run across the pitch and Hibbert hanging on to the Captain for all he was worth. It was a clear goal scoring opportunity and the resulting red card and penalty conversion was justified, as was the 2nd penalty decision.
      The mysterious rotation / substitution of Gerrard by Rafa paid dividends when Liverpool clearly threated a 2nd goal with chaos in Everton's box. Lucas had his goal bound shot and potentially his 1st Liverpool goal, stopped on the line by the superman idiot save by the Everton captain Phil Neville. The walk of shame followed after another straight red and the wheels had come off in front of the home crowd.
      Kuyt kept his cool and converted the spot kick ultimately sealing all 3 points for the Reds. Kuyt's Cantonna kung-fu kick was unsavory it has to be said, if anyone attempted that against one of our own all hell would break loose! Kuyt was very lucky to stay on the pitch in my eyes and the controversy continued with Carragher  and Lescot almost swapping shirts, Carragher was playing with fire in the penalty box but luckily he didn't get his fingers burnt!
      I was unable to guage individual players on a 2.5" screen given the (loss of) reception and was only able to watch a small percentage of the game but a great return to winning ways, grinding out 3 valuable points against the old enemy and with the other 'Big 3' winning it's just as well. Bring on the Arse.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #307: Oct 21, 2007 10:40:31 pm
      My view of the derby was slightly impaired  as I was watching it on my mobile phone on the way back to London after a short visit to Liverpool.  >:(
      Sami helped the Blues get on the score sheet with a deft little flick and whilst Reds' hearts must have sunk for a while it was clear that the small team across Stanley Park were not capable of scoring themselves, even at home!
      Step up Stevie G with a thundering run across the pitch and Hibbert hanging on to the Captain for all he was worth. It was a clear goal scoring opportunity and the resulting red card and penalty conversion was justified, as was the 2nd penalty decision.
      The mysterious rotation / substitution of Gerrard by Rafa paid dividends when Liverpool clearly threated a 2nd goal with chaos in Everton's box. Lucas had his goal bound shot and potentially his 1st Liverpool goal, stopped on the line by the superman idiot save by the Everton captain Phil Neville. The walk of shame followed after another straight red and the wheels had come off in front of the home crowd.
      Kuyt kept his cool and converted the spot kick ultimately sealing all 3 points for the Reds. Kuyt's Cantonna kung-fu kick was unsavory it has to be said, if anyone attempted that against one of our own all hell would break loose! Kuyt was very lucky to stay on the pitch in my eyes and the controversy continued with Carragher  and Lescot almost swapping shirts, Carragher was playing with fire in the penalty box but luckily he didn't get his fingers burnt!
      I was unable to guage individual players on a 2.5" screen given the (loss of) reception and was only able to watch a small percentage of the game but a great return to winning ways, grinding out 3 valuable points against the old enemy and with the other 'Big 3' winning it's just as well. Bring on the Arse.

Very good report considering the way that you viewed the match
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #308: Oct 21, 2007 11:43:42 pm
       ;D ;D ;D

In rafa we trust!!!!

Just thought I'd add my glee to the topic.

And as ever Rafa came up trumps....
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #309: Oct 22, 2007 12:02:25 am
      ;D ;D ;D

In rafa we trust!!!!

Just thought I'd add my glee to the topic.

And as ever Rafa came up trumps....

Alright Molby! Where've you been? All glee is welcome!  ;)

The most important thing about the derby yesterday, wasn't the performance. It was about getting the win! To see the players going over to our fans at the end of the game with their fists in the air was a pure buzz!! I'm still buzzing now. Not just because we beat the bitters and took all three points, but because that will have instilled confidence. Something that's been clearly lacking....

White
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts | -1 
      Reply #310: Oct 22, 2007 10:27:09 am
      BOSS: KUYT IS NOT LIKE THAT

Rafa Benitez has backed Dirk Kuyt after criticism of the Dutchman's second-half challenge on Phil Neville.
      The striker received a yellow card for a high tackle on the Everton midfielder during Saturday's Merseyside derby.

Blues boss "The Chosen One" claimed Kuyt should have seen red – a view not shared by Benitez.

He said: "The ball was one way and Kuyt was in the other (motions a 180 degree angle). Okay, he was very aggressive but he did not touch the player.

"He was trying to stop the cross. Intent? You know Kuyt, forget it."

Liverpool won the game thanks to two second-half penalties, leaving Everton feeling aggrieved they didn't get a spot kick for a last-minute challenge by Jamie Carragher on Joleon Lescott.

Asked about whether refereeing decisions went his side's way, Benitez responded: "For me, every single foul was a 'penalty', a 'red card' or 'yellow card' because it was a derby and it's exciting.

"It's football, last season we conceded two goals with two fouls. I was watching the DVD and it was very clear and nobody said anything.

"It was a disaster because we conceded three goals but two of them were with fouls. Now we scored with two goals from penalties which were penalties so it's okay.

"If we analysis every situation like this in a derby maybe there will be 10 penalties in each."

You must love that bit!
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #311: Oct 22, 2007 10:51:31 am
      Easy, wasn't it!!!

They were lucky we didn't get three penalties, because we would of kill them.

On a serious note. 

Still not right,  Rafa needs to sort this out quick.  Big game on Wednesday, need to win!

White
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts | -1 
      Reply #312: Oct 22, 2007 11:44:45 am
      We need to win at least 3 in the CL. OR else!!!!!
      tizmawpux
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Reply #313: Oct 22, 2007 01:04:16 pm
      great win but why take off gerro benitez? cant fathom the mans logic,   :f_steam: time to go son
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #314: Oct 22, 2007 01:57:12 pm
      ^you want rafa gone?

Did Lucas not come on and score (well sort of) the winner?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #315: Oct 22, 2007 02:09:28 pm
      is stevie G beyond being subbed? Dont think so lads so get over the fact he got taken off. most of ye have being saying hes not playing well for a while anyway so why get worked up over him being taken off. Its Liverpool Football Club not the Steven Gerrard club!
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #316: Oct 22, 2007 02:46:56 pm
      great win but why take off gerro benitez? cant fathom the mans logic,   :f_steam: time to go son

Just because he's Steven Gerrard, it doesnt mean he cant be taken off. HOWEVER, there were other players who played poorly who shouldnt be playing for this club firstly, and secondly, in the events of the game, should have been subbed.(momo sissoko)
      Also, the best teams in England and Europe take no prisoners....when a mistake is made, they capitalise....this is what will happen to us if momo continues to play and feed the opposition the ball- i couldnt care less how many times he wins the ball, it what he does with it that counts most, and its evident that he does more for the opposition than what he does for us... it's so fustrating, to be a professional player, and not be able to consistently pass the bal 5-10 yards....give me a break!!!!

Im still very confused why Rafa didnt start the game with any wingers, hence we were exposed in that area and stevie finnan had to defend 2 everton players..... (mascha, momo, stevie and yossi) i cant understand Rafa's logic, why is he trying out so many spontaneous and random line-ups??  We cannot afford to do this, as quality teams WILL punish us for not playing our best starting 11...

In my opinion, Ryan Babel's confidence and morale must be shot to pieces. The kid has done nothing wrong, and cant even get a start in this squad, or play a game with us....please explain??? He's more than capable of being in our starting 11. Fair enough though, his off field antics with the dutch national team, however, that is not Liverpool.

At the end of the day, we got the 3 points and i suppose thats all that matters...BUT, im still not convinced in most of Rafa's decisions, and im strugglng to figure out why he does certain things.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #317: Oct 22, 2007 02:51:58 pm
      great win but why take off gerro benitez? cant fathom the mans logic,   :f_steam: time to go son

Don't think so pal.

We are dealing with genius here... his replacement produced our best attacking period of the game... and also gives Lucas a MASSIVE shout for a regular first team place...
      RafasBeard
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts | -2 
      Reply #318: Oct 22, 2007 05:46:45 pm
      stuff gets, come on then please tell me, is clattenburg a secret kopite
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #319: Oct 22, 2007 05:48:04 pm
      stuff gets, come on then please tell me, is clattenburg a secret kopite

Is Neville in goal for your next game?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #320: Oct 22, 2007 05:50:59 pm
      Yes - he's joining us for a bevvy at the arsenal game cos he's got a free weekend next week  8) 8)

As for stuffy - you kidding?

How many shots on goal did yer have again - only yakubu chance I can remember, talking of stuffy who scored your goal?

Did you like the tesco bags or Our City song  :D
      White
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts | -1 
      Reply #321: Oct 22, 2007 05:57:30 pm
      Lucas for Sissoko would have been the much more better and ogical sub.

In a way i understand why Gerrard was taken off, but to be taken off instead of Sissoko in that game was almost an insut.

Quick Reply