Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

The 206th Merseyside Derby - Post Match Discussion.

Read 19544 times
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Re: The 206th Merseyside Derby - Post Match Discussion.
      Reply #253: Oct 20, 2007 04:43:12 pm
      I hate watching j.Lescott's hair...

he looks like a klingon :D
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #254: Oct 20, 2007 04:56:28 pm
      I hate watching j.Lescott's hair...

It's the result of an car accident at the age of 6 - so let's leave that one alone...
      afif212_reds
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 180 posts |
      Reply #255: Oct 20, 2007 04:56:41 pm
      Haha...Good one jakkeo... :)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #256: Oct 20, 2007 05:01:50 pm
      It's the result of an car accident at the age of 6 - so let's leave that one alone...

Still looks like a Klingon! 8)

Cracking result! Just got in from work (which was technically watching the match from our end at every opportunity!) I ended up standing in the away end for a bit in me suit! Sadly, I missed the goals as I was signing staff off! Can't wait for the highlights later! ;D
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: The 206th Merseyside Derby - 20th October 2007
      Reply #257: Oct 20, 2007 05:07:25 pm
      One word describes this game, and that is lucky. Actually scrap that it's two words, F***ing lucky.

I have been a firm backer of Rafa over recent weeks when he has come under fire, but todays decisions from the gaffer just have no rational explanation. He took off the two main attacking threats on the pith, Gerrard & Benayoun, whilst leaving on Mascherano & Sissoko who don't really offer a lot going forward. I can understand that they may have been tired from the internationals, but you make those sort of changes when you're winning, not chasing a win in a derby match. The decision to wait until the 87th minute to bring on Pennant also left me dumbfounded, what real difference could he make at that point? We got off the hook here big time, and I just hope Rafa learns from mistakes made & doesn't repeat them.

As for the players themselves, in goal Reina didn't really have a lot to do. He didn't have a chance with the own goal, but apart from one dodgy punch near the end he got everything else pretty much right. Carragher I have to admit was a very lucky lad, could easily have conceded a penalty at the end and could well have picked up two yellows for his constant arguing if it had been a harsher ref, in my eyes Gerrard should have been doing more as captain to stop him. Hyypia was desperately unlucky with the own goal, it was one of those ones that could've gone absolutely anywhere, and apart from that had a very good game. His aerial prescence certainly saved our skins more than once or twice at the back and showed for me why he's still an important member of our squad. Finnan as ever was Mr reliable, a couple of brilliant saving challenges and on current form he also seems to be our best crosser of the ball. The weak link in the defence for me was Riise, and why the hell he played the full 90 minutes I don't know. His passing was poor, and for the goal he should have been closing down a lot quicker. There were two incidents that really stood out for me though, firstly after about 10 minutes when Hyypia conceded a free kick in a dangerous position. The Everton player (I think it was Osman) was bursting down the right where Riise should be defending, yet it was Sissoko & Hyypia that were having to cover as Riise was still making his way back from the opposition half. The other incident was at the opther end of the pitch towards the end of the game when we were chasing the win, Kuyt played a through ball that was slightly ahead of him and he made no effort to get on the end of it. The ball was asking a lot of him, but he could've slid in & played it out for a throw instead of letting it roll out for a goal kick, he showed no desire to get to it.

In midfield I think we got better as the game went on, but in the first half we had no thrust from the middle & our wing play was non-existent. Benayoun was the only midfielder to make any sort of impression before the break & we just looked devoid of ideas. Come the second half things improved, thanks in no small part to the fact that Gerrard actually decided to start playing then. He did very well for the penalty, Hibbert was tugging on his shirt almost as far back as the halfway line, but Stevie stayed on his feet until he'd made it into the box. There were memories of Istanbul for me, Gerrard had the same grin on his face as he'd had that night when he finally went down in the box, he knew it was a penalty & I think it was very clever play that won it. I still don't see why Mascherano played, he'd travelled halfway round the world & played 180 mintues of football already this week, and it showed. I can only assume it was due to Alonso not being ready, but I still don't think he should've featured in this game. Sissoko was just Sissoko, we all know what to expect from him now, win the ball back brilliantly then give it away, I really don't think he should play unless partnered with Alonso who seems to be the only one who always makes himself available for the easy ball.

Up front Voronin managed to get every other aspect of his game right apart from the bit that really matters for a striker. He did some great tracking back but that's not his main job, a striker's there to score or create goals andin that he failed miserably. Kuyt faired a little better, whilst not having many clear cut chances himself he created well for others, and fair play for having the bottle to take the first penalty, not easy in such a big game when you haven't scored for a while.

All in all as I said at the start we were lucky today, but it's another three points notched up and we're still in contention. I doubt todays performance will have boosted anyone's confidence much though, and for once I actually put this down to the manager rather than the players as I have in recent weeks.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #258: Oct 20, 2007 05:09:15 pm
      Great write-up Eddie. Spot-on as ever.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #259: Oct 20, 2007 05:13:09 pm

Seconded! Cracking take on things! ;)
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #260: Oct 20, 2007 05:30:16 pm
      come on boys , lets just enjoy the derby win eh ? 

wasnt a great performance we all know but the derby is a one-off game where anything happens , we won and for me  thats all that matters when is comes to the derby

i dont know whether this has been mentioned or not but did anyone see the tesco bags at the match ?
      my mate told me they never showed it on sky but i was sat in the lower bullens (nearly got in a fight) , and all the away reds had balloons with tesco bags tied over them at the start of the game , it was so funny
      « Last Edit: Oct 20, 2007 05:34:21 pm by lazb07 »
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #261: Oct 20, 2007 05:30:46 pm
      Didn't play that well today, but got the 3 points which is the most important thing, won away from home again which is excellent, does nobody remember the dodgy chelsea pen against us this season, all things even out, now if we can just get our home form back starting with a win against arsenal that'd be amazing.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #262: Oct 20, 2007 05:38:19 pm
      Maybe this could turn even better today

1729: GOAL

Aston Villa 1-0 Man Utd

Gabriel Agbonlahor heads Villa in front at the near post, converting Ashley Young's superb cross from the left.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #263: Oct 20, 2007 05:42:31 pm
      Rafasbeard is very quiet.......I wonder why???? :lmao:

Great win lads, just what we needed

Nothing else to say that hasn't already been said ;D
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #264: Oct 20, 2007 05:49:08 pm
      I think we played a lot better today as a title contending team.  The team played with flair and we looked more convincing going forward. 

Jose Reina had a tough game and was unlucky that Hyypia's shot had a ever so slight curve on it which in effect cost him a clean sheet.  He also had a couple of decent saves from close range.  Rating 7/10

Steve Finnan   was always chasing back and helped the midfield push forward more often looked like our best player and kept the game alive for us   8/10

Sami Hyypia was unlucky with the own goal but I feel he made up for it for keeping a tight like otherwise

Jamie Carragher played with all his heart today (not just his brains Rafa!) but worried me a bit though the way he kept arguing with the ref and is lucky to be only yellow carded.  A bit disappointed with his late antics in the box which was lucky not to have got them a penalty. 8/10

John Arne Riise he still frustrates me the way he comes along that left wing from nowhere, having said that he nearly had a goal with that free kick if it wasn't for that deflection I think it may have gone in. 6/10

Javier Mascherano looked tired today I don't think he had a good game at all and maybe we could have started without him and had Pennant on the right with Gerrard and Sissoko in the middle and Benayoun on the left. 4/10

Momo Sissoko had a good game today and nearly a goal too! (same old story really lots of chances no goals) he always looks like a solid midfielder and breaks away really well for us.  6/10

Stevie Gerrard looks like he is retaining some of that all important drive we have missed recently was unlucky not to get a goal today from what was a perfect pass through from Voronin and then a strong run down the left only to be taken down by Hibbert.  6/10

Yossi Benayoun played a convincing role today and showed exactally why Rafa preferred him to maybe Babel with those penetrating runs into the box only to waste the chance he could have had himself. 7/10

Dirk Kuyt the penalty man! kept a calm and focused approach today but didn't look too promising going forward as much as Voronin and needs to watch his drop kicks (sorry tackling).  2 great penalties though. 6/10

Audriy Voronin looked good today and was unlucky not to get a goal in the first half with a inch perfect cross from Benayoun which Howard stopped with ease. 7/10

Subs
      Babel played ok few crosses could have been converted better  6/10, Lucas played with potential nearly had a goal which Neville decided he'd stop (moron) 6/10, Pennant didn't see much of him near the end so can't judge

Overall this is good away play from the mighty reds and we should take this to Turkey to give Besitas a decent game on Wednesday.

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #265: Oct 20, 2007 06:04:49 pm

Positive ratings?

:D :D :D

AJ, agree with most of your assessment, but there's a couple of points on which I don't. Firstly I wouldn't say Reina had a tough game really, Everton only had one shot on goal & the own goal was just a freak that wouldn't happen if Sami did it again a hundred times. What he did have to do he dealt with though, can't blame him for the fact that he had a quiet game. Also I don't think Voronin had a great game, he did a lot of useful tracking back but in front of goal he was pretty useless. Kuyt was the better of the two IMO, but was left on his own far too much & had a mountain to climb.

The bit that I really disagree with is Sissoko having a good game, he gave the ball away on too many occassions to count. He has his uses, namely breaking up the play against passing teams, but he has nearly as many negatives as positives & for me should only be used in a select few games. The only other bit I disagree with is about Riise's free kick, I'll have to watch a replay but I'm pretty sure Howard had it covered before the deflection, and for me it was a weak shot considering what we all know he can do.

100% agree with your assessments of Finnan, Carragher, Mascherano & Benayoun, but who the hell is Audriy Voronin? ;D
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #266: Oct 20, 2007 06:10:07 pm
      Maybe this could turn even better today

1729: GOAL

Aston Villa 1-0 Man Utd

Gabriel Agbonlahor heads Villa in front at the near post, converting Ashley Young's superb cross from the left.

FFS, 3-1 to Utd now >:(
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #267: Oct 20, 2007 06:13:10 pm

negative ratings ?  :lmao: :lmao:

only kiddin mate

paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #268: Oct 20, 2007 06:18:50 pm
      Villa's defending is a F***ing disgrace today! Anyway this is the merseyside derby thread not the Villa v Utd thread  ;)
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #269: Oct 20, 2007 06:21:29 pm
      against teams like everton, scum, arse and chelski, the performance isn't really all important, the main thing is the 3 points.  momo gave the ball away, voronin missed a few, we all know sami's best days are behind him.....who gives a sh*t!!!  3 points at tesco's, and i didn't even bring my clubcard, RESULT!!!! ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #270: Oct 20, 2007 06:25:16 pm
      We can stand around and mock the decision to take Gerrard off, but we did look better without him even though Momo carried on being shocking and at the end of the game we did get the 3 points.

Neville the dirty cheat - I thought for a minute that we would have missed the penalty but glad that we didn't and Neville saw red.

Some terrible terrible performances we have been putting in lately.  5 wins and 4 draws in our 9 Premiership games is not going to win us the title, but unbeliveably we have still yet to lose in the Prem considering how bad we were - I'm taking that as a positive.
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #271: Oct 20, 2007 06:41:31 pm
      Some terrible terrible performances we have been putting in lately.  5 wins and 4 draws in our 9 Premiership games is not going to win us the title, but unbeliveably we have still yet to lose in the Prem considering how bad we were - I'm taking that as a positive.

I think you're right to, whilst being aware of the performances. We're going to really stick-it to someone when we do start playing well.

I've seen more of Rafa's responses to taking Gerrard off, and it does seem to have been purely tactical. A seemingly strange decision that oddly enough worked. A microcosm of Rafa's rotation working, dare I say?

Yes, I do dare.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #272: Oct 20, 2007 07:04:19 pm
      Rafa raised my eyebrows when he took Gerrard off but it paid off, fair play to him for having the balls for it. And look how much Gerrard played on the wing instead of the center, i know last season we all said he needed to be moved into center mid but he plays much better on the wings.

F***ing c**t neville, thought he was a goalie, stopped lucas getting his first goal for us, F***ing burn in hell you w**ker.

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #273: Oct 20, 2007 07:29:40 pm
      We can stand around and mock the decision to take Gerrard off, but we did look better without him even though Momo carried on being shocking and at the end of the game we did get the 3 points.

Neville the dirty cheat - I thought for a minute that we would have missed the penalty but glad that we didn't and Neville saw red.

The problem in my head that I am fighting with... is that we have looked a better side every game/time SG has not been in since his return from a broken toe/Pako's exit... I don't care what some people say, I think SG (who is a sensitive guy) HAS been affected by that... as his relationship with Rafa is ultra-cold - and Pako may have been the bridge-man between Captain and Manager. My opinion and I'm sticking with it... even more so after today and Rafa's criticism of Stevie playing with heart before brain and that being the reason he pulled him off... (on sky interview after match).

...I'm at war with myself with that one... should he be dropped? Help?!
      « Last Edit: Oct 20, 2007 07:34:18 pm by donrafael »
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #274: Oct 20, 2007 07:48:48 pm
      I think SG (who is a sensitive guy) HAS been affected by that... as his relationship with Rafa is ultra-cold - and Pako may have been the bridge-man between Captain and Manager

Again with the unfounded statements of "fact". How do you know his relationship with Rafa is "ultra-cold"?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #275: Oct 20, 2007 07:53:05 pm
      SG says so himself, a number of times, in his own autobiography... maybe Stevie was just making up eh?

"Distant" is the word he uses to be exact.

Quick Reply