Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Liverpool 2-0 Oldham: In game and Post Match Cup Chat

Read 28732 times
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Oldham: In game and Post Match Cup Chat
      Reply #414: Jan 05, 2014 06:18:26 pm
      Just got back from the match, glad we got the win despite an average performance.
      1st half we were very poor going forward, Alberto looked a step ahead of everyone which probably worked against him, played a lot of balls to Moses/Cissokho who just werent awake, Moses in particular was woeful, didnt look like he wanted to even be there.

2nd half started much better with Coutinho and Lucas on, Gerrard was allowed to go further forward with Lucas being on so him Sterling and Coutinho were pulling the strings around the box, good finish from Aspas for his goal.
      Had a few periods were Oldham were on top but we didnt let much go through apart from one which Jones saved comfortably.
      After Agger went off Sterling went to RB and played great, won every tackle and got forward quite abit and beat his man EVERY time, great performance and my MOTM.

Atmosphere was pretty poor in the ground though, Oldham outsung us for most of the game so fairplay to them, I know the majority of fans see it as almost a walkover, but still no reason to not give 100% singing wise to get behind our players.

Also was nice to see B-Rod's son Anton get a huge applause when coming on, and the minutes silence turning into a minutes applause.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #415: Jan 05, 2014 06:31:03 pm
      For those at the match how did Alberto play? I like what I have seen of him in small cameos so far he looks like he can spot and deliver a pass.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #416: Jan 05, 2014 06:35:09 pm
      For those at the match how did Alberto play? I like what I have seen of him in small cameos so far he looks like he can spot and deliver a pass.

Just going on from my post above, looked like he was in the game, was a step ahead of other players which worked against him when playing through balls cause the recieving player wouldn't have caught onto it, seems to have very clever feet and an eye for a pass, made a few good challenges also, just the odd dodgy touch but think if he had a run of games he would be great IMO, been wanting him to start all season, was dissapointed he went off at half-time, hope hes given a few more chances.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #417: Jan 05, 2014 06:37:35 pm
      Moses in particular was woeful, didnt look like he wanted to even be there.

Careful, DanMann will get all bitter and blue over that analysis.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,694 posts | 880 
      Reply #418: Jan 05, 2014 06:40:39 pm

Not at all mate.

Everyone has an opinion. So long as you agree with the masses..
      DanMann

• 5,694 posts | 880 
      Reply #419: Jan 05, 2014 06:41:12 pm
      Just got back from the match, glad we got the win despite an average performance.

How was Sterling in that 1st half mate?
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #420: Jan 05, 2014 06:43:35 pm
      Haha, just my opinion anyway, he was lacklustre today.

How was Sterling in that 1st half mate?
      Nowhere near as good as 2nd half, did beat his man a few times but was often marked by 3 men out on the right, so we played most of our stuff down the left
      DanMann

• 5,694 posts | 880 
      Reply #421: Jan 05, 2014 06:44:48 pm
      Nowhere near as good as 2nd half, did beat his man a few times but was often marked by 3 men out on the right, so we played most of our stuff down the left

Cheers mate.

That sounds right from the highlights.  :)
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #422: Jan 05, 2014 06:49:47 pm
      Cheers mate.

That sounds right from the highlights.  :)

By the way, just watched those highlights, doesnt do it justice, Moses lost the ball on numerous occasions, and also failed to get on the end of a couple of chances. Sterling was average first half like but he did create a few chances for himself and others.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 624 posts | 59 
      Reply #423: Jan 05, 2014 06:50:14 pm
      Cup games are always tricky,through to the next round and thats all that matters
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #424: Jan 05, 2014 07:25:19 pm
      Back now from the game and thought we were pretty poor in all honesty. Oldham pretty much parked the bus and without Suarez and Coutinho we created nothing. Moses, Cissokho and Aspas were all dreadful for different reasons. Moses and Cissokho just looked like they couldn't be arsed and Aspas hid all game apart from his goal which wasn't enough to cover the cracks of another completely anonymous showing. I was surprised to read the comments on his performance in this thread until I saw there was no stream!

Alberto was the best in the first half easily so I was surprised he got taken off instead of Aspas. Moses has no reason to be at this club any longer and after being subbed at half time I hope that was his last appearance in our shirt. Coutinho a different class that sadly only highlighted just how sh*te our squad is minus a few players!

I'm not too happy as I said before the game I wanted to see a team and performance that shows the club values this competition as highly as we do. Not only was it a mix and match side, half of the players looked like they couldn't have cared less. On that basis I left the ground feeling quite bitter despite the win.

Oldham fans were superb, and their team gave us a real run for our money in the second half. Huge credit to them. At least one team had some FA Cup spirit.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #425: Jan 05, 2014 07:32:33 pm
      Back now from the game and thought we were pretty poor in all honesty. Oldham pretty much parked the bus and without Suarez and Coutinho we created nothing. Moses, Cissokho and Aspas were all dreadful for different reasons. Moses and Cissokho just looked like they couldn't be arsed and Aspas hid all game apart from his goal which wasn't enough to cover the cracks of another completely anonymous showing. I was surprised to read the comments on his performance in this thread until I saw there was no stream!

Alberto was the best in the first half easily so I was surprised he got taken off instead of Aspas. Moses has no reason to be at this club any longer and after being subbed at half time I hope that was his last appearance in our shirt. Coutinho a different class that sadly only highlighted just how sh*te our squad is minus a few players!

I'm not too happy as I said before the game I wanted to see a team and performance that shows the club values this competition as highly as we do. Not only was it a mix and match side, half of the players looked like they couldn't have cared less. On that basis I left the ground feeling quite bitter despite the win.

Oldham fans were superb, and their team gave us a real run for our money in the second half. Huge credit to them. At least one team had some FA Cup spirit.

Despite the fact that this reflects quite negatively on both club and supporters, thanks for the analysis.

Didn't see the game like most, so always good to hear from someone who saw the full performance first-hand.

Just glad to get through, really. They're always potential banana-skins these cup-ties.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #426: Jan 05, 2014 07:49:51 pm

Just glad to get through, really. They're always potential banana-skins these cup-ties.

Yep, clean sheet, Aspas scored, no 'major' injury concerns (I don't think, reading some of the above). Can't be unhappy with that.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #427: Jan 05, 2014 07:55:35 pm
      Yep, clean sheet, Aspas scored, no 'major' injury concerns (I don't think, reading some of the above). Can't be unhappy with that.

Job done, and if we'd hammered them 10-0 we'd still be in the same situation.

Maybe I'm easy to please, but getting the result when we play poorly and put out a weaker side is more than enough for me.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #428: Jan 05, 2014 08:05:31 pm
      Just got back from the match. Atmosphere was pretty poor with Oldham out singing and cheering us for most of the game.
      A quiet first half with Sterling and Aspas willing runners. Alberto was probably the pick of the bunch with some very neat touches.
      Moses oh dear me there is a good reason he did not appear in the second half!
      Second half was much better with Countinho running the show and Aspas deserved his goal.
      Stevie appeared to be walking around most of the 70 odd mins he was on the pitch.

Sterling my MOTM.

Overall a fairly workman like performance just efficient with nothing flash.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #429: Jan 05, 2014 09:32:46 pm
      Probably the toughest game to watch/get highlights of since internet began!!!

ITV highlights won't work here either. Waiting for some other site to get them up.
      RedWilly

• 9,176 posts | 1630 
      Reply #430: Jan 05, 2014 09:45:01 pm
      Like everyone else it seems, I was listening on the radio, couldn't find myself a stream!

Made up with the win, I think this is a tournament we can win & should be looking to win, Brendan will really have his feet under the table then.

The game sounded pretty drab in all honesty, Oldham came to defend and we laboured to try get through them, but we did. Bit annoyed we weren't able to leave the likes of Coutinho and Suarez on the bench, this was Oldham we were playing and if our 'squad' players can't crack it against them, then what benefit do they truly offer?

All in all though, cups are just about getting through and avoiding the replay, so job done.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #431: Jan 05, 2014 10:11:43 pm
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,525 posts | 33 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #432: Jan 05, 2014 10:32:34 pm
      I went to the game today and at times we looked poor, especially in the first half. Moses and Aspas were anonymous throughout the match. We played a bit better once Lucas and Coutinho came on. I know he scored but Aspas is not good enough for us - we should be looking for another forward this month. In my opinion once Agger went off and we went down to 10 men we played a lot better! We scored soon after.
      All in all, cup upset avoided and we're in the next round.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #433: Jan 05, 2014 10:34:40 pm
      I was in the paddock annie road end and so in the first half I saw up close how gutless Moses and Cissokho are. Sorry if that sounds harsh but they just played it safe all day. When they did get in behind it was either a hopeful ball in or they lost it.

Sterling was my motm and like others have mentioned Alberto looked good to me in the first half. Shame he didnt have more of the ball on sterlings side to find the gap between the full back and centre half.

The big lad at the back for Oldham (no. 6) was fantastic all day on and off the ball he comes out with the most credit of the day for me. That is apart from the Oldham fans. They were brilliant barring a few nutters and deserved their applause from me on the way out.

Overall I suppose we were left a bit neither made up nor gutted but a very workman like performance by Oldham ensured we had to dig deep for the win. Didn't really see the peno shout yet, heard it on the radio on the way home (in between jumping up and down at the swansea goal and trying to dodge out the way of a crazy ambulance on the east lancs in packed traffic).

As most have said its a win in the cup. So we march on.

Sidenote - Rodgers lad looked quite neat didn't he?

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #434: Jan 05, 2014 10:51:52 pm
      Job done.

:scarf:
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #435: Jan 05, 2014 10:54:04 pm
      With the next round not being played on the 25/26th it looks like our next game is almost two weeks away.  While it will be hard to wait that long to see our boys in action (didn't even get to see them today ffs) it will be a good thing as we should be having a few of our important senior members coming back from injury.  It will be a huge boost to get Studge back, and the likes of Enrique and Allen shouldn't be too far off. 

Good to get the win and march on.  Also, makes it a bit sweeter knowing that the scummers were dumped out!! 
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #436: Jan 06, 2014 12:05:15 am
      First of all, a word on the supporters at the game today. Truly embarrassing. If you go on the Kop with every intention to just F***ing sit on your F***ing hands all game, you can F**k off. Sick to death of being the only one in about 5 rows to be singing and to be looked at like I've just taken a sh*t on the pitch.

Anyway, on to the game itself. First half we were abject, as poorly as we've played all season with only Alberto showing any kind of attacking flair and promise, and even he gave the ball away too much.

The changes (and quite possibly a bollocking from the manager) made a big difference and we came out in the second half with renewed vigour. We eventually took a deserved lead through Aspas' smart finish, although that shouldn't paper over another shocking performance from our number nine.

Oldham started to grow into the game as it opened up, with chances finally starting to flow for both sides. Brad Jones, who looked fairly secure throughout, made one particularly good save. The second goal was a killer obviously and to be honest I was more relieved than pleased that we'd come through an unnecessarily difficult game.

But, a win's a win.

Sterling for me was our best player especially in the second period, he beat his man on countless occasions and showed great variety too, sometimes shifting the ball to deliver quickly and sometimes just burning past his man with fantastic pace.

Also, one quick word on Victor Moses. I'll be hugely disappointed if we see him in the red shirt ever again.

Quick Reply