Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Old Liverpool Pictures

Read 65712 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Old Liverpool Pictures
      Reply #69: Feb 09, 2014 07:41:06 pm
      Open air swimming pool, New Brighton...Good Times ;D
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #70: Feb 09, 2014 08:53:46 pm
      Probably one of the first photographs of Anfield.. Taken on the Kop between 1903-05, how things have changed...

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #71: Feb 09, 2014 09:05:09 pm
      In the studio recording The Anfield Rap !!... :roll:

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #72: Feb 21, 2014 08:52:01 pm
      I can remember this night like it was last week...Scotland clinch their place in the World cup Finals in Argentina with a 2-0 win over Wales at Anfield 1977.
      The Tartan Army invaded Liverpool.. Scots of all ages, shapes and sizes, Kilts, Flag waving, Songs being sung all over the city.
      The Pub at the top of our road was taken over , literally...along with loads of others..I think the one near us ran out of ale.. ;D
      Even during the game there was Scottish fans everywhere around the ground just there for the crack, singing and having a great time..
      What made it even more special was Kenny had just joined us and that night he became King Kenny to the massive Tartan Army when he rose to head in the winner and produce a roar out of Anfield that could be heard for miles around..believe me !..
      Notice poor Joey Jones looking on helpless...

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #73: Mar 10, 2014 08:28:33 pm

The launch of MAURETANIA II in 1938 from Cammel Lairds in Birkenhead.
      What a sight !
      johnh
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #74: Dec 03, 2014 05:24:17 pm
      Martindales delivered coal mate, remember seeing their trucks when I was a kid, completely forgot about it 'till I saw the pic, doubt this kid worked down the pit he's far too clean, they had no showers in those days and took the coal dust home. He's clean as well for a coal delivery boy, that box he's leaning on looks like a shoeshine box with an advert on it for Martindale Coal Deliveries maybe, just a thought.
      This looks to be staged. The two photo's of the lad are in different places.  Also, if you look at the photo of the three lads by the Leeds and Liverpool canal at Bootle the same lad is in the middle.  He is also second left on the photo of the seven lads. Obviously related to the photographer.  Sorry to ruin a good story. ;D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #75: Dec 04, 2014 06:34:14 am
      The Boss helps clear the snow before a game..

Is it any wonder we loved him, he was a credit to the working class man.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #76: Dec 05, 2014 09:48:35 am
      Ice Rink .

You can just see the bus stop on the left of picture where I used to get off the 510 down from Prescot and then cross the road and walk the rest of the way down to the ground.
      johnh
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #77: Dec 05, 2014 05:38:28 pm
      It cost my old man an old sixpence (tanner) for me  when I first went into the Boys Pen in Kemlyn  Road. When they moved the pen into the back corner of the Kop it cost 9 pennies in old  money. From memory I think it was one and six to get into the ground when the pen was moved to the Kop.
      I paid sixpence to go in the boys pen at Goodison to watch Everton v Liverpool 1948/49. It was Everton's record crowd that day, over 78,000.  It finished 1 - 1.  Remember seeing Billy Liddell play at Anfield against Villa about the same time. He clashed heads with a Villa player and they were both laid out right in front of us. Later, he scored from a penalty.  He had the hardest shot I ever saw.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #78: Dec 06, 2014 03:21:24 am
      I paid sixpence to go in the boys pen at Goodison to watch Everton v Liverpool 1948/49. It was Everton's record crowd that day, over 78,000.  It finished 1 - 1.  Remember seeing Billy Liddell play at Anfield against Villa about the same time. He clashed heads with a Villa player and they were both laid out right in front of us. Later, he scored from a penalty.  He had the hardest shot I ever saw.

Billy Liddell had a tremendous shot that's for sure, when you consider the old leather casies that soaked up the water. I doubt that the modern footballer would be able to handle the old casie  and hit it as hard as the late great Billy Liddell did .I think they moved the boys pen from Kemlyn Road to the back of the kop in 1949.
      johnh
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #79: Dec 09, 2014 03:12:39 pm
      Is it any wonder we loved him, he was a credit to the working class man.
      In 1958 I met Bill Shankly when he was manager of Huddersfield Town. I was captain of a representative team playing against Huddersfield Town.  After the game I was introduced to him.  He looked me straight in the eye and, pointing to a young blond haired lad standing next to him, said 'let me introduce you to a future Scottish international'.  It was Denis Law aged about 16.
      One of my favourite memories from playing football.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #80: Dec 10, 2014 07:47:22 pm
      In 1958 I met Bill Shankly when he was manager of Huddersfield Town. I was captain of a representative team playing against Huddersfield Town.  After the game I was introduced to him.  He looked me straight in the eye and, pointing to a young blond haired lad standing next to him, said 'let me introduce you to a future Scottish international'.  It was Denis Law aged about 16.
      One of my favourite memories from playing football.

lovely memory John welcome
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #81: Dec 11, 2014 08:00:07 am

It's good to see another old feller on the forum besides me and Walton, cheers  John and enjoy LFCREDS.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #82: Dec 11, 2014 11:59:34 am
      It's good to see another old feller on the forum besides me and Walton, cheers  John and enjoy LFCREDS.

who are you calling old :D
      johnh
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #83: Dec 11, 2014 02:42:19 pm
      I was born on St. Paddy's day in 1936. Lived in Liverpool (Walton Hall avenue) until I was 15 when my Father's job moved us to Leeds.  Have lived down south (Berkshire) since 1969. Will always be a Scouser though.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #84: Dec 11, 2014 09:25:56 pm
      I was born on St. Paddy's day in 1936. Lived in Liverpool (Walton Hall avenue) until I was 15 when my Father's job moved us to Leeds.  Have lived down south (Berkshire) since 1969. Will always be a Scouser though.

I feel like a young lad again you are nearly 3 years older than me, is it ok if I call you sir.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #85: Dec 11, 2014 09:27:06 pm

You will always be an old mate to me Walton, cheers.
      johnh
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #86: Dec 12, 2014 05:27:09 pm
      I feel like a young lad again you are nearly 3 years older than me, is it ok if I call you sir.

I insist on it.  :)  People regularly tell me I don't look 78, you don't look a day over 77 they say.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #87: Dec 13, 2014 11:20:43 pm

ALmost neighbours John I am from County road ,It never leaves you the place gets under your skin.I spent 13 years away and just had to come back home .
      johnh
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #88: Dec 14, 2014 05:51:29 pm
      ALmost neighbours John I am from County road ,It never leaves you the place gets under your skin.I spent 13 years away and just had to come back home .
      We lived in a cul-de-sac on the opposite side to Littlewoods. It was our football pitch in the winter and our cricket pitch in the summer.  Learned all my ball skills kicking a tennis ball. Sadly, can't see us going back as her indoors is a Yorkshire lass. If we moved anywhere (unlikely) it would be back to Yorkshire.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #89: May 01, 2017 09:31:55 am

1941: The horror of the eight day 'May Blitz' commences

Quick Reply