Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)

Read 14442 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)
      Jan 07, 2014 04:45:15 pm
      Arsenal eyeing Johnson as Liverpool contract talks stall

Arsenal are showing an interest in Liverpool full-back Glen Johnson, who is yet to sign a new deal at Anfield.

The 29-year-old's current contract runs out in 2015 and he has been told he must accept a pay cut if he is to pen fresh terms with the Merseyside club.

That has seen talks stall and Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is monitoring the England international's situation.

The Frenchman is a long-term admirer of the former Chelsea and West Ham defender and, with Bacary Sagna becoming a free agent at the end of the season, is considering making a move to bring the Londoner back to the capital.

And Liverpool, keen to trim the wage bill, could be prepared to do business following the emergence of youngster John Flanagan.

http://talksport.com/football/arsenal-eyeing-johnson-liverpool-contract-talks-stall-14010774603?

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)
      Reply #1: Jan 07, 2014 04:47:04 pm
      No!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2: Jan 07, 2014 04:48:02 pm
      Providing we had a replacement lined up who would come in and start at RB, i would let him go. Doesn't have the passion in him anymore, if you ask me looks like his been playing away for a move.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Jan 07, 2014 04:49:24 pm
      Providing we had a replacement lined up who would come in and start at RB, i would let him go. Doesn't have the passion in him anymore, if you ask me looks like his been playing away for a move.

I've heard (just rumours) that Clyne is lined up as his replacement this summer.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,435 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: Jan 07, 2014 04:51:01 pm
      Talksport is about as reliable as my watch which hasn't been right since I got it, there's no chance of him going to the arse
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #5: Jan 07, 2014 04:54:11 pm
      Well I for one, hope we keep him. Despite what some are saying I still think he's the best right back in England and for me hasn't put a foot wrong for us.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #6: Jan 07, 2014 04:54:26 pm
      I've heard (just rumours) that Clyne is lined up as his replacement this summer.

Tbh wouldn't mind that at all, good little player but i think Shaws contributions in that defense have overshadowed his good work.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #7: Jan 07, 2014 05:00:17 pm

Would be a great signing that, big fan of him.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #8: Jan 07, 2014 05:01:01 pm
      If we can sell him for money rather than seing him leave on a free this summer, why not.

Johnson sold or not we absolutely need to sign a new experienced full back as soon as possible (ideally able to play on the two sides) imo.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #9: Jan 07, 2014 05:06:55 pm
      Well I for one, hope we keep him. Despite what some are saying I still think he's the best right back in England and for me hasn't put a foot wrong for us.

This all day.
      Cutting the wage bill is apparently reason enough to further hone a skeleton squad according to reports.
      Personally I could not envisage this story as having any legs whatever, the priority has to be strengthening an already depleted squad.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Jan 07, 2014 05:15:10 pm
      Tbh wouldn't mind that at all, good little player but i think Shaws contributions in that defense have overshadowed his good work.

Would be a great signing that, big fan of him.

Agreed he'd be a great signing but with Kelly, Wisdom, Flanno and McLaughlin all capable rb's I'm not sure we 'need' him.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #11: Jan 07, 2014 05:34:27 pm
      Arse already had one backwards step with Walcott out for 6 months, why would they want another one ?
      Johnson's been crap defending and going forwards for us most of this season.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #12: Jan 07, 2014 05:54:33 pm
      If we had the opportunity,  I would say go for micah richards and if successful,  then let jonno go. Imo, micah richards is the no.1 english choice RB.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: Jan 07, 2014 06:03:21 pm
      If we had the opportunity,  I would say go for micah richards

Yep he'd fit right into Harry Kewells and Aurelio's imprints on the treatment tables :D

Me personally I'd cash in on Johnson, his mind seems to be on his contract and not his football.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: Jan 07, 2014 06:07:02 pm
      Glen Johnson will probably go to West ham or if a London club who badly need an experienced player on a short term contract.
       He is too loose in his play and is not that great in any aspect of his game, for instance: is he a great defender? Or is he great at delivering a killer cross? Is he a Roberto Carlos unorthodox striker/winger? Is he a midfielder, What the hell is Glen Johnson? The enigma from all the years he has played here .. I know he can do great things... but it's occasionally and I still don't get what he is supposed to bring to a team that is trying to play tight.
      I am not being disrespectful (I don't think) he Marauds too much and not only that he doesn't maraud and deliver + he cannot pass any more and gives the ball away more cheaply than any of our players.
      The only solution if we keep him here is to do a Gareth Bale- move him from defensive duties into an attacking right sided midfielder. I know Gareth Bale was the left but I hope you all get my drift.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #15: Jan 07, 2014 06:11:48 pm
      Me personally I'd cash in on Johnson, his mind seems to be on his contract and not his football.

It does seem that way.  I've always liked Glen, and when he is playing well I think he is one of the best RB's in the league and possibly even in Europe.  However, he has been average for most of the season, and piss poor at times.  Perhaps he is upset about being told he has to take a pay cut.  Who knows....

At the end of the day, I'd only want him to be sold if we have a better player lined up to take his place. 
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #16: Jan 07, 2014 06:16:05 pm
      I'd rather have a consistently decent full back than an inconsistent full back who's either awesome, or awful.

I think Johnson is one of the best in the world at his best, but one of the worst about when he's at his worst. And his worst performances are becoming more regular.

So I would be willing to sell, if we could bring someone in who is effective in most matches.

I'd love Coleman at Neverton but that won't happen.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #17: Jan 07, 2014 06:24:59 pm

That's "crazy" Debs - you been out "walkin after midnight" again?

What's that? Oh that's Cline? How embarrassing....
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #18: Jan 07, 2014 06:39:46 pm
      That's "crazy" Debs - you been out "walkin after midnight" again?

What's that? Oh that's Cline? How embarrassing....

:D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Jan 07, 2014 07:17:59 pm
      Cash him in while we still have the chance, rather that than see him putting in no effort and playing cack until his contract run out.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #20: Jan 07, 2014 07:29:45 pm
      I rate the lad and think he's been a real, real quality player.

Whether physically he can still do the business at the exalted level we're aspiring to I'm less sure.

I don't think he "...doesn't care..." or that "...his mind is on his contract..." to paraphrase a few.

I love my boxing and he looks to me like a fighter who's got old overnight - it's not that he's not trying it's just that he's still thinking where 2yr ago he'd have been doing.

Today....my inclination would be to take a good bid.

But pardon me....a good bid from the Arse? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #21: Jan 07, 2014 07:34:17 pm
       I hope talksport are talking out of their ARSE.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: Jan 07, 2014 08:25:32 pm
      He's having a ropey run, but unless we get someone lined up as good or better, no sale.
      I still like Glen, know *defending* isn't his strong point, but he has good footballing ability, control etc. and is good going forward and has a goal in him.

Quick Reply