Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Brendan Rodgers transfer market dealings, good or bad?

Read 11653 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers transfer market dealings, good or bad?
      Reply #115: Jan 25, 2014 08:26:24 pm
      Brendan is definitely operating with fiscal constraints on him...that being said I have to wonder.

Why do we bring in Aspas so we can send Borini on loan...both of them are 3rd strikers why not just keep Borini and use the 9 million elsewhere?

Why did we spend 7m on Ilori and now send him out on loan, or 7 million on Alberto who never plays, Joe Allen 15m an a backup.

I understand needing depth but honestly without Europe I would rather fill the depth with kids and spend that money on 1 or 2 good starting XI players that will actually contribute versus players that never play or play on loans for other sides.

FSG has been skint no doubt but I dont think they put a gun to BR's head and forced him to buy Joe Allen or Fabio Borini.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #116: Jan 25, 2014 08:46:47 pm
      Brendan is definitely operating with fiscal constraints on him...that being said I have to wonder.

Why do we bring in Aspas so we can send Borini on loan...both of them are 3rd strikers why not just keep Borini and use the 9 million elsewhere?

Why did we spend 7m on Ilori and now send him out on loan, or 7 million on Alberto who never plays, Joe Allen 15m an a backup.

I understand needing depth but honestly without Europe I would rather fill the depth with kids and spend that money on 1 or 2 good starting XI players that will actually contribute versus players that never play or play on loans for other sides.

FSG has been skint no doubt but I dont think they put a gun to BR's head and forced him to buy Joe Allen or Fabio Borini.

I think Allen and Borini were "comfort" buys so he had some familiar face at Melwood.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #117: Jan 25, 2014 11:24:19 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25898102

Story reporting that as of Saturday night Brendan hasnt given up on signing Salah........ !?1?!?

Its like a girlfriend who has pissed off with some bloke at a dance.

Look like he was depending on this transfer and will say that was the one that got away when the window closes.

Smoke and mirrors .

(Anyway there is something to cheer him up in the Salah transfer thread  ;D)

I think Allen and Borini were "comfort" buys so he had some familiar face at Melwood.

The first corporate allies.
      I cant believe we paid what we did for Allen.
      If he was the ambassor for Tika Taka .......  then thanks but his time is up.
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2014 12:02:18 am by eurored »
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #118: Jan 26, 2014 03:04:07 am
      I've got to say, I'm seriously panicking, because we are getting a sense of de ja vu from two years ago. And this is coming from someone who has been relatively supportive of FSG. I'm struggling to come up with anything to defend them this time around.

They were in the mix for the top 4, but Lucas got injured and we desperately needed to enter the transfer market. Come the end of the season, we were nowhere near Europe.

As much as some fans would like to believe, Gerrard will not provide the answers for us at holding midfield - 8 years ago perhaps, not today.

If we don't beat Everton, then alarm bells will start ringing - there will be no two ways about it, we need to sign desperately.

If FSG think we are good enough for 4th on the basis of the first half of the season, then they are playing russian roulette. Our squad hasn't been big enough for ages, while our rivals - including Tottenham and Man Utd have much bigger squads.

If FSG think having a small squad is capable of achieving a top four spot, then they shouldn't be investing in this sport. What's more, if we DO miraculously make the top four, and that we are still at the same level of numbers in the squad next season, then we will be ripped to shreds trying to battle on all fronts.

It's a disaster waiting to happen.

P.S. Happy Birthday to the boss. Best of luck for the rest of the season - I feel he's going to need it.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #119: Jan 26, 2014 08:43:21 am
      So what? He was still sh*t.

I like Vladi as a person, he never moaned about being a squad player, always speaks highly of the club and you could see what playing for Liverpool meant to him. But just because he scored in Istanbul (both from open play and a penalty) doesn't make his Liverpool career on the whole a great one. The same way Djimi Traore blocking a shot on the line in Istanbul doesn't make his Liverpool career on the whole a great one. The same way Igor Biscan's performances against Chelsea in both legs of the semi finals doesn't make his Liverpool career on the whole a great one. The same way Jerzy Dudek's heroics in Istanbul doesn't make his Liverpool career on the whole a great one.

Nor does the fact that Vladi scored in Istanbul make the point about him being a Houllier signing any less relevant.

Yes Vladi's goal was vital, yes it was a goal that every Kopite around the world cheered and yes it brought tears to my eyes. It still doesn't hide the fact that his Liverpool career, overall, was sh*t from a playing perspective. In terms of medal it was quite good with him winning everything except the League with the club.

Nail on head smacked well and true.

Quick Reply