Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Nintendo WiiU

Read 3279 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Nintendo WiiU
      Jan 09, 2014 09:34:17 pm
      We have many threads for PS3/4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and the games etc but I haven't seen anything recently on Nintendo's latest console.

Now I was a fan of video games over the years but got kind of bored with them in the last few years and my PS3 has become our BluRay player and something to play CD's and watch Netflix on.

But I've always been a massive Nintendo fan right back to NES and SNES days along with the original Gameboy and after having a look at a WiiU early this year I was interested but nothing much grabbed my attention game wise so I held off. But as the year went on I kept an eye out and there have been a greater amount of games coming out with Zelda WW, Lego City Undercover and last of all Mario 3D World released I finally convinced myself to purchase.

Got the premium 32Gb edition with a lot of kit alongside Lego Marvel Superheros, and Nintendoland for £200 and added Mario on the same day as it was one of the main reasons for taking the plunge and buying.

I have to say I'm well pleased with it so far and it's a fantastic bit of kit and the tablet style controller is a real plaesure to use and so versatile as well although many of the games as yet haven't used it to it's full capablilty as far as I've read. Really handy to be able to keep playing the game when every someone else wants to watch something on the TV and it can also be used to watch the likes of Netfilx in another room as well.

As far as games go Mario 3D World is an absolute joy and while maybe not as great as Galaxy it's still the best, and most enjoyable game I've played in a long time. Probably since Galaxy if I'm honest. To see a Mario game in HD and looking so beautiful is worth the price of the console alone almost and while the early worlds have been pretty tame so far I'm hoping the difficulty ramps up a little as I go on.

Lego Marvel is another great looking game and although it can be a bit samey as you progress it's fantastic fun and really humourous touches from the characters as you move through the game.

I haven't got round to Nintendoland yet and only breifly looked at ZombieU but they do look like they will keep my interst and one was free with the console and ZombieU I picked up for a tenner so can't complain.

All in all I'm well pleased so far and would be interesting to hear thoughts on the WiiU itself from you lot and if anyone else has one?
      « Last Edit: Jan 09, 2014 09:51:13 pm by srslfc »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Re: Nintendo WiiU
      Reply #1: Jan 11, 2014 05:06:26 pm
      No one then?

Good stuff. ;D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #2: Jan 11, 2014 05:17:09 pm

Really, really want one but we can't afford it right now.

Was keeping out of the thread to avoid temptation, then came in hoping to read that it was sh*te to make things easier!

Would seriously love one - I have the XBox 360, and really enjoy the games on it, but also loved the original Wii, and before that the Gamecube.

The Mario games are just brilliant fun, hope to soon be able to try out the new ones on the Wii U, as well as the new Zelda ones that will surely be released, they're just timeless.

Like I say, I enjoy more serious gaming, but the family, party-style fun games on the Wii offer a different atmosphere of fun!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #3: Jan 14, 2014 09:43:18 pm
      Really, really want one but we can't afford it right now.

Was keeping out of the thread to avoid temptation, then came in hoping to read that it was sh*te to make things easier!

Would seriously love one - I have the XBox 360, and really enjoy the games on it, but also loved the original Wii, and before that the Gamecube.

The Mario games are just brilliant fun, hope to soon be able to try out the new ones on the Wii U, as well as the new Zelda ones that will surely be released, they're just timeless.

Like I say, I enjoy more serious gaming, but the family, party-style fun games on the Wii offer a different atmosphere of fun!

I resisited for ages Ayrton, mainly due to the lack of games as I said, but the offer and the new Mario swayed me and added to the new games coming up this year I'll be well catered for.

Three I'm looking forward to playing.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #4: Jan 15, 2014 12:55:39 pm

I meant to pick this bit of your post out Ayrton as it's a good point that only serious gamers can answer and I know we have quite a few on here so maybe they will have a go.

For me though I think some of the games available on WiiU, the original Wii and the Gamecube before it are what video games are all about and Mario Galaxy stands up there as one of the greatest games ever made in my opinion.

I think in recent years Nintendo suffer from being seen as family or kids orientated but if you look past the likes of Wii Sports and the colourful graphics I think many Nintendo games are 'proper games' and should appeal to serious gamers.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,168 posts | 6344 
      Reply #5: Jan 15, 2014 04:52:47 pm
      Si, my boys got one from their grandma for Christmas (lucky turds). It's a really good console. Like you we have the Marvel Superheroes Lego game (my kids are crazy for anything Lego) , Lego City Undercover and we also have the Super Mario U.

In addition I've downloaded a couple of the NES titles (CastleVania 1 and 3) ;D

The games are really fun, Lego city in fact reminds me a lot of Grand Theft Auto in the free play aspect and the challenges. Glad to hear your report on Super Mario 3D World as my son would like to use some of his savings to pick that game up.

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #6: Jan 15, 2014 05:40:58 pm

I meant to pick this bit of your post out Ayrton as it's a good point that only serious gamers can answer and I know we have quite a few on here so maybe they will have a go.

For me though I think some of the games available on WiiU, the original Wii and the Gamecube before it are what video games are all about and Mario Galaxy stands up there as one of the greatest games ever made in my opinion.

I think in recent years Nintendo suffer from being seen as family or kids orientated but if you look past the likes of Wii Sports and the colourful graphics I think many Nintendo games are 'proper games' and should appeal to serious gamers.

That is, in fact, a very good point.

I was a huge fan of the Gamecube and Wii, yet I often find myself dismissing them because I spent many a long night with friends playing Mario Kart or Mario Party; fun games, but easily picked up and put down.

When I think about it, some of my favourite games like Resident Evil 4 (the BEST!), Fatal Frame and Zelda Twilight Princess were proper, serious games.

I think that since the arrival of Trophies and Achievements, many people (including me!) have a tendency to dismiss older games.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #7: Jan 15, 2014 05:46:47 pm

Another one on my list.

To be honest if I buy the five or six games that I really want for this it will keep me going for quite a while.

How is the WiiU seen in the US FL?

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,168 posts | 6344 
      Reply #8: Jan 15, 2014 06:20:52 pm
      Another one on my list.

To be honest if I buy the five or six games that I really want for this it will keep me going for quite a while.

How is the WiiU seen in the US FL?

From what I can tell it's very well liked, but obviously hard core gamers are going to go for the PS4 or Xbox1. I still have an old Xbox 360 that I'll continue to use to play FIFA but I haven't really had the urge to find $500 to drop on a new Xbox1. Once the WiiU prices dropped I think a lot of people  jumped on the bandwagon and got one. I have played games less and less the last few years but I still like firing up the WiiU with my boys and playing. I'm a big fan of the Mario franchise so it's natural for me to gravitate towards the U.

Lego City Undercover really is an outstanding game. Similar to Avengers in how you can roam throughout the city. You can jump in cars and just mindlessly explore ;D They did a really good job with it.

Quick Reply