Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Hillsborough families say police spied on campaigners

Read 2698 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Jan 10, 2014 05:48:23 pm
      Relatives of Liverpool fans killed in the Hillsborough disaster have called on the Metropolitan Police to answer claims officers spied on them.

The call comes after Private Eye magazine had a freedom of information (FOI) request turned down by the Met.

The Met has yet to comment, but reportedly turned down the FOI request to "safeguard national security".

Sheila Coleman, of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign, called for police to show "transparency" and admit spying.

'Everything opened'
      Private Eye asked the Met for files it held on the Hillsborough Justice Campaign and the Hillsborough Family Support Group following claims Special Branch officers were involved in surveillance of the organisations.

It reported that police would neither confirm nor deny that it held any papers on the disaster.

Both the justice campaign and the support group have been at the forefront of attempts to discover what happened at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final which saw the deaths of 96 Liverpool fans.

Fresh inquests into their deaths will begin in Warrington in March after the original accidental death inquest verdicts were quashed in 2012 following an independent report.

Louise Brookes lost her brother Andrew Mark Brookes in the disaster and she alleges she has had her post intercepted or tampered with.

She said: "Everything to do with Hillsborough would arrive opened."

'Promised transparency'
      Meanwhile, Ms Coleman claimed campaigners' phones were "definitely tapped".

She said: "I represented six families in 1993 and we were aware we were under surveillance.

"A lot of attempts were made to frighten us but it just went with the territory.

"It was appalling. Not so much for me but those who had been bereaved were effectively criminalised.

"I'm disappointed that the government acknowledged a state cover-up but the Met are still holding back."

She said families and campaigners for Hillsborough have been "promised transparency and accountability and the Met should fall into line with that".

Ninety-five victims were crushed to death in Britain's worst sporting disaster, on 15 April 1989, at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium during Liverpool's FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest.

The 96th victim died in 1993 when the Law Lords ruled that doctors could stop tube-feeding and hydration.

As well as fresh inquests, there are two ongoing investigations into the disaster.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is examining police actions at and after the tragedy, while former Durham Chief Constable Jon Stoddart is looking at the causes of the tragedy and the deaths and examining the actions of a range of organisations and bodies, including South Yorkshire Police.

The IPCC said it was not actively pursuing allegations of spying on families and campaigners.

But a spokesman said: "We are reviewing all material in relation to Hillsborough and clearly if we came across any evidence that this had happened we would investigate it whether or not we have received a complaint."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-25685107

Once again!, no wonder they did not want any new inquests.

The whole thing stinks.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: Hillsborough families say police spied on campaigners
      Reply #1: Jan 10, 2014 06:50:42 pm
      Nothing about them surprises me anymore.

The Met has yet to comment, but reportedly turned down the FOI request to "safeguard national security".

What utter bollocks. Safeguarding the Met and high ranking cronies more like.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #2: Feb 18, 2014 04:26:34 pm
      Just been on BBC Breaking news:

12 families are to complain to the IPCC regarding the spying allegations.

No link yet, but I'll keep looking.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Feb 18, 2014 04:31:57 pm
      Just been on BBC Breaking news:

12 families are to complain to the IPCC regarding the spying allegations.

No link yet, but I'll keep looking.

That's good mate.  As I understand it without an actual complaint they can't/won't investigate it.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #4: Feb 18, 2014 04:46:57 pm
      Hillsborough families make formal complaint on police surveillance
      Families of Hillsborough victims have submitted a formal complaint about police surveillance.

Solicitors firm Broudie Jackson Canter, which represents families from the Hillsborough Justice Campaign (HJC), has sent the complaint to police watchdog the IPCC.

It comes after the Met Police and South Yorkshire Police refused to confirm or deny whether families and campaigners were the subject of surveillance.

Elkan Abrahamson, from the firm, said: "I was surprised to hear the Home Secretary announce in Parliament that no formal complaint of police surveillance had been made on behalf of the families and accordingly I have taken instructions from clients and I am making a formal complaint on their behalf of police surveillance including phone tapping."

The complaint, which was sent to the IPCC today, asked that investigations into surveillance were not limited to "material on Hillsborough".

It said: "We also note that the police have refused to comment as to whether such surveillance took place, their answer, and that of the Home Secretary, being that the police do not as a rule comment on surveillance issues.

"We accept this, but it is a rule with exceptions and in particular, in accordance  with the example given to the Home Secretary, we understand that the family of Stephen Lawrence were specifically told about surveillance.

"This is not a case where there is any implication or suggestion of wrong doing by any of the complainants."

The families also made a separate complaint about the refusal of the police to comment on concerns about surveillance.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-families-make-formal-complaint-6723167
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Feb 18, 2014 07:14:28 pm
      just keep the bas**rds squirming until they POP.dirty tricks filthy minds.Inhuman behaviour.

Quick Reply