Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM v Stoke

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      1 (0.7%)
      Aly Cissokho
      0 (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      1 (0.7%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Steven Gerrard
      11 (7.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      1 (0.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Raheem Sterling
      44 (29.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Luis Suarez
      76 (50.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      16 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: Jan 17, 2014 06:30:29 pm

Stoke 3-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delightful Relief

Read 39240 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Stoke 3-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delightful Relief
      Reply #736: Jan 13, 2014 07:40:39 am
      Sturridge"s goal celebration; was he taunted as a break dancer? Very interesting dance move.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #737: Jan 13, 2014 08:05:31 am
      I gave Danny Sturridge  my M.O.M. for the way he laid off the ball for Luis Suarez to score and his determination and skill to score the 5th goal. All in all 3 well earned points.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #738: Jan 13, 2014 08:16:01 am
      Brilliant result under extreme pressure after Utd Tottenham Everton had all won.

So good to see Sturridge back & immediately back on form.

Superb play to set up Luis & maybe ever better play to score after great ball from Suarez.
      Especially as the keeper made a brilliant save from his 1st effort.

If they both stay fit anything is possible..
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #739: Jan 13, 2014 08:21:25 am
      Good win, a very good win.

Just need to learn how to close the game down when we are in front as we now have the players that can really damage teams on the break.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #740: Jan 13, 2014 08:24:34 am
      Sadly Lucas hasn't been the same since his injury. He has won only 44% of his tackles this season which by any standards is poor. I think Brendan rather than looking to find a place for Gerrard, has been looking for someone to allow him to move Lucas out of the defensive role.

Totally agree, the change is long overdue. The Stoke third goal was a perfect illustration of Lucas's problem, a complete lack of mobility allowing Adam I think it was to get in first and cut us open down the left. His heart has it in spades, he reads it well but the legs are simply not there. Gerrard at whatever age he is is incomparable to Lucas in terms of athleticism.

AJ-LFC
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #741: Jan 13, 2014 08:27:10 am
      On the subject of did Stevie G have a good game or not, let's not forget he only came back from a lay off with injury for the Hull game on New Year's Day. The game away at Stoke was a very high tempo game and not sure he is 100% match fit yet. Sorry to sit on the fence with this one but that's my belief...

My MOTM went to Suarez, even when he doesn't score he bloody excites me! Having a player like him in the team means they spend more time and effort trying to stop him playing and making the room this leaves more space for our other forward players. So he also makes the front runners, Sterling/Sturridge look very good!
      « Last Edit: Jan 13, 2014 09:13:02 am by AJ-LFC »
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #742: Jan 13, 2014 10:06:03 am
      Made up with that I am !!..
      We badly needed them 3 points to keep up with the pack..
      I'm not gonna slag anyone off as for me it was one of those games in the pissing rain that the ball could've gone anywhere at times , zipping around and skimming off heads and legs... I mean if Crouch had connected with that header that hit the post followed by Mignolet's Gordon Banks save from our captain in the dying minutes it could've all gone horribly wrong..

Suarez is Class.. He IS the difference.. and he will f**k England over in Brazil... ha ha..
      Delighted to see Sturridge back... just wish we could have had him for the Man City & Chelsea games recently...

3 points.. back up to 4th.... move on..

Aston Villa next at Anfield !! :scarf:
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #743: Jan 13, 2014 10:21:45 am
      Still buzzin.

Oooooooo we've got the best front 5 in the world

We've got Sturridge and Suarez
      Sterling and Hendo
      And super coutin-ho oo
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #744: Jan 13, 2014 10:33:32 am
      Not one for the faint hearted that.

Pleased to get the win but that was some match we showed we could play like league champions one moment and relegation battlers the next.

Dissapointing performances from Mignolet, Gerrard and Lucas and Coutinho to some extent. Getting the 3 points for the first time at the Brittania is all that matters now though.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #745: Jan 13, 2014 10:38:19 am
      Fantastic result, given our record at that dump. We saw all the best and all of the worst of Liverpool today. We scored five goals. Remarkable, really. We have an outstanding attack. and always look likely to score. Sadly, the usual defensive lapses are getting worse.

Mignolet (3). He's a brilliant Relegation Team Shot-stopper. At least one spectacular save a game. Which, in a relagation team, is fine, because they always get beat and the keeper may let in 5, but can save 5 too. Nobody remembers the rubbish goals conceded, just the fantastic saves. But that's not what we need, and he does concede *really* soft goals. His distribution is shocking and he is hopeless on crosses. His erratic displays cost us goals (and points) against Chelsea and City. it's fine when we are playing poor opposition and can score 5 goals, but he concedes too many for a top team. Sorry if that's controversial, but it's a fact.

Cissokho (5). Did OK, but generally has no brain, talent or footballing technique. Can run around all day, but that isn't a footballer.

Toure (3). All over the place like a mad woman's piss.

Skrtel (4). Wasn't helped by the hapless Toure, but got bullied and bashed around all day.

Johnson (5). Attacked well at times and was always positive in his play. Defending was ordinary.

Lucas (4). Slow, cumbersome and bizarrely playing further forward, with Gerrrard BEHIND him at times. Which he is useless at, given he can't shoot or create chances or beat players.

Gerrard (6). Extra point for the nerveless penno, but seemed a bit rusty and WHY is he playing more defensively than the hapless Lucas?

Sterling (7). A real threat with his pace and constant attacking. Keep it up Raheem.

Henderson (6). "A decent shift". Which is pretty much Hendo in a microcosm. Didn't create much and bottled one chance, but provided usual energy and appetite

Coutinho (6). Lots of the ball, but too often didn't do enough with it. Should have scored, but didn't. Again.

Suarez (9). He's a F***ing genius.

Subs:

Sturridge (8). Great to have him back; immediate threat, pace and skill. Set one up and scored one. Can't ask for more than that.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Re: LIVE: Stoke City v Liverpool
      Reply #746: Jan 13, 2014 10:48:03 am
      Sorry to bring this up again but Gerrard away from home has been garish this season. The root cause of our away form ills this season?

"Garish"? What the actual F**k are you on about?
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #747: Jan 13, 2014 11:13:46 am

BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #748: Jan 13, 2014 11:14:09 am
      Great header from Gerrard... great save from Mignolet

I think about conspiracy theory sometimes. Doubt this one is true, someone please post a vid of this. Want to see it again. The game was won and someone would have been super rich if finished 4-5. Was that on purpose, I want another look. Conspiracy theories  :f_whistle:
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #749: Jan 13, 2014 11:24:17 am
      I think about conspiracy theory sometimes. Doubt this one is true, someone please post a vid of this. Want to see it again. The game was won and someone would have been super rich if finished 4-5. Was that on purpose, I want another look. Conspiracy theories  :f_whistle:

Hahhhhaahahahahahaha!

Oh. You're serious.

Oh F***ing dear.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,498 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #750: Jan 13, 2014 11:34:31 am
      Hahhhhaahahahahahaha!

Oh. You're serious.

Oh F***ing dear.
      I actually agree with you whilst at the same time believing BKLFC's theory is not that outrageous

It can happen in big PL games with big PL teams; ask Brucie
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #751: Jan 13, 2014 11:38:55 am
      Someone asked when the last time Stoke conceded 5 at home ?
      Last time in top flight was in 81-82 by us with the same score btw !
      The last time they scored 3 at home in the league and lost was 57-58 div 2  3-5 v Bristol Rovers.
      With my limited research (site crashed after 50 mins)!

Still have an high heart rate after yesterdays performance !
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #752: Jan 13, 2014 11:52:20 am
      Shame Kolo Toure and Johnson had such a stinker! Migs let in another cheap goal too, no effort should be slipping under his body like that.

But we got the 3 points and that's all that matters.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #753: Jan 13, 2014 12:20:06 pm
      Has anyone mentioned the weather?

Absolutely appalling and probably accounts for some of the mistakes made in the match by both teams.

Three points. That'll do.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #754: Jan 13, 2014 12:48:02 pm

Hahhhhaahahahahahaha!

Oh. You're serious.

Oh f**king dear.
      If I had to put my mortgage on it Stevie's innocent, but yea I want another look. :o

BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #755: Jan 13, 2014 12:50:18 pm
      I just seen it once and it all happened so fast. Just recall seeing Stevie connecting with a blinder of a header meant to score not to defend.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #756: Jan 13, 2014 12:52:15 pm
      I just seen it once and it all happened so fast. Just recall seeing Stevie connecting with a blinder of a header meant to score not to defend.

It actually did look like he was trying to score ;D

Not sure what he was trying to do, but thankfully mignolet kept it out  :P
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #757: Jan 13, 2014 01:41:26 pm
      It actually did look like he was trying to score ;D

Not sure what he was trying to do, but thankfully mignolet kept it out  :P

Cracking defensive midfield play wasn't it? :D

Was a fine save by Mig but the worry was at even 5-3 up with minutes to go they still hit the post and almost scored with that Gerrard header.

If you include corners I'd be surprised if we didn't concede the highest number of crosses in any game this year we were getting pelted from all angles, didn't matter what side it just looked like we had no defense at all.

Mig, again gets bailed out because of our fine attack, for a mistake Pepe would have been lambasted for. As Carra suggested in his post match commentary, I don't know if it's his confidence has dropped or what but mistakes are creeping in quite regular now. When you add that to a defence that looks disorganised at best then we have to play like Brazil (we'll score 1 more than you) as we've no other choice at the moment.

None of the back 6 can be happy with their performances, Gerrard has an excuse that he's just settling in to role, thankfully our attack was outstanding and dug them all out of what, on pretty much any other day, concededing 3 to Stoke at their place means you leave with nothing.

If we let the January transfer window shut without signing a full-back though we're asking for trouble.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #758: Jan 13, 2014 01:54:18 pm
      Sadly Lucas hasn't been the same since his injury. He has won only 44% of his tackles this season which by any standards is poor. I think Brendan rather than looking to find a place for Gerrard, has been looking for someone to allow him to move Lucas out of the defensive role.

Actually I think the reason Rodgers wants to move Gerrard there is because Lucas is now fourth choice.

I've got a sneaking suspicion he would rather have Allen and Henderson in there than the Brazilian.

Quick Reply