Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Go back to 3-5-2 to suit SAS

Read 5074 times
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Re: Go back to 3-5-2 to suit SAS
      Reply #23: Jan 15, 2014 02:00:32 pm
      I'm with Chats on this plus it's looking increasingly likely that we won't sign anyone in January, let alone a DM.

*sighs*

I know, I know. And if we do sign anyone, it will more than likely be Salah or similar, rather tahn one of the many central midfield players we keep being linked to, but almost certainly won't buy
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,608 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24: Jan 15, 2014 02:01:10 pm
      I prefer the 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 but it's never been popular,leaves you exposed in wide areas.

Hmm.
      The asymmetric 4-2-2-2.

Not sure we can handle such a complex formation right now.

Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #25: Jan 15, 2014 03:10:57 pm
      I don't see the need to change now when we're playing well and winning. Tbh I think it's pretty obvious to continue playing a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-1-3 if you like.

Gerrard    Lucas

Coutinho

Sterling   Suarez   Sturridge

Henderson as the rotational CM, Alberto as the rotational CM/AM and Aspas as the rotational forward. As Chats said, our fullbacks are too sh*t to pull off the 3-5-2 successfully. Also, Jordan Henderson is not a fullback/wingback!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #26: Jan 15, 2014 03:13:56 pm
      We'll still play 433.

Suarez and Sturridge will interchange the right side and centre, Coutinho will play wide left and cut inside.
      If Sterling is preferred, just change the wide interplay from right to left side.

Yup.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #27: Jan 15, 2014 03:25:48 pm
      Henderson as the rotational CM, Alberto as the rotational CM/AM and Aspas as the rotational forward. As Chats said, our fullbacks are too sh*t to pull off the 3-5-2 successfully. Also, Jordan Henderson is not a fullback/wingback!

He's played there very successfully in the past.

Don't know if you've heard the old adage that you're only as strong as your weakest part, currently that is Johnson. When Kelly is blatantly not fit you need to search for an alternative, unless of course you're happy to persist with players who are, by your own admission "too sh*t". When there is one available who has played there successfully in the past then it would be logical to use that solution, so rather than shout about it, why not offer something constructive to the discussion.

Johnson has also proven to play with more concentration when playing from the lefthand side.

The thread is about getting the best out of SAS by reverting to 3-5-2 so coming in and just commenting as you did offers nothing and frankly there's too much of it going about at the moment. Absolutely nothing constructive, nothing insightful just refuting anything put forward then moan about how things are when nothing changes, don't see the point of that at all.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #28: Jan 15, 2014 04:00:10 pm
      He's played there very successfully in the past.

Don't know if you've heard the old adage that you're only as strong as your weakest part, currently that is Johnson. When Kelly is blatantly not fit you need to search for an alternative, unless of course you're happy to persist with players who are, by your own admission "too sh*t". When there is one available who has played there successfully in the past then it would be logical to use that solution, so rather than shout about it, why not offer something constructive to the discussion.

Johnson has also proven to play with more concentration when playing from the lefthand side.

The thread is about getting the best out of SAS by reverting to 3-5-2 so coming in and just commenting as you did offers nothing and frankly there's too much of it going about at the moment. Absolutely nothing constructive, nothing insightful just refuting anything put forward then moan about how things are when nothing changes, don't see the point of that at all.

Has he? From what I've seen he tends to drift back into CM and leaves the flank exposed. I don't understand why we have a habbit of playing players out of position, I'm not for it because we're short all over the park especially midfield. We need Henderson's energy in the middle of the park as well to compensate for Gerrard and Lucas' lack of it.

I agree Kelly lacks match fitness which is proving to be a big problem because of the lack of cover at RB. I mean who is to blame for that then? Because he's been unfit all friggin' season, someone must be doing something wrong with his fitness work because I just don't get it. Also agree that Johnson plays better as a LB, so maybe it's just RB altogether that we need to sort out.

And I merely stated that I don't think we should revert back to a 3-5-2 because we are playing well and winning. I'm sure Sturridge can come in and fit nicely into a 4-3-3 system. I don't need to be constructive about it, it's pretty obvious in my eyes that we should stick to what's working. Adding Sturridge to our current formation and style of attacking play won't hinder that, he'll only help us further. Don't fix what's not broken...
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #29: Jan 15, 2014 04:08:32 pm
      Because he's been unfit all friggin' season, someone must be doing something wrong with his fitness work because I just don't get it.

Sorry for just picking out this bit mate but he had a very nasty injury last season only weeks after coming back from a previous nasty injury.  He's still a young lad and I'd say it's obvious that he's being gradually brought back in to give him time to recover properly without being rushed.

Yes we've needed him a few times this season but I'd rather not push him and have him fully fit for future seasons than use him when he's not ready and potentially end his career.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #30: Jan 15, 2014 04:21:57 pm
      Has he? From what I've seen he tends to drift back into CM and leaves the flank exposed. I don't understand why we have a habbit of playing players out of position, I'm not for it because we're short all over the park especially midfield. We need Henderson's energy in the middle of the park as well to compensate for Gerrard and Lucas' lack of it.

Yeah he's played there when we've had a switch in the match Paul, I'm not 100% sure he's played there for an entire match I'll leave someone with a better memory than mine to fill in that blank.

I don't understand why we have a habbit of playing players out of position, I'm not for it because we're short all over the park especially midfield.

I agree with you here but that's a different debate and when the midfield positions are already full (in the 3-5-2) I see no harm in trying to upgrade our weakest position with what, on current form, is a better player and certainly someone who appears to have the proper attitude which we need at the moment.

We need Henderson's energy in the middle of the park as well to compensate for Gerrard and Lucas' lack of it.

Fair point and in the system I posted I would hope that Henderson could use his relentless energy to fill the gaps in midfield while Skrtel could cover for him in transition if needed. However I can certainly see your point on this.

I agree Kelly lacks match fitness which is proving to be a big problem because of the lack of cover at RB. I mean who is to blame for that then? Because he's been unfit all friggin' season, someone must be doing something wrong with his fitness work because I just don't get it. Also agree that Johnson plays better as a LB, so maybe it's just RB altogether that we need to sort out.

Yep Kelly has been frustrating and Debs does make good points regarding the injuries he's coming back from, but like you I think he should have recovered by now and be contributing when we're struggling so much in his position.

And I merely stated that I don't think we should revert back to a 3-5-2 because we are playing well and winning. I'm sure Sturridge can come in and fit nicely into a 4-3-3 system. I don't need to be constructive about it, it's pretty obvious in my eyes that we should stick to what's working. Adding Sturridge to our current formation and style of attacking play won't hinder that, he'll only help us further. Don't fix what's not broken...

Fair enough Paul, but in this reply you've been far more constructive from my perspective and I should perhaps apologise for taking my frustrations out on you personally. I just can't stand posts that simply say anything from the person they choose to quote is rubbish but offer nothing as an alternative.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31: Jan 15, 2014 04:32:48 pm
      I think it's a good formation against teams who play two strikers, which so few do nowadays. Also a nice change up in a tactical battle. But as everyone has stated, we just don't have the fullbacks right now to make this successful. With a fully fit team this may be a great option, but not as we currently stand.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4927 
      Reply #32: Jan 15, 2014 04:33:42 pm
      I don't see the need to change now when we're playing well and winning. Tbh I think it's pretty obvious to continue playing a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-1-3 if you like.

Gerrard    Lucas

Coutinho

Sterling   Suarez   Sturridge

Henderson has done far more than Lucas, and arguably Gerrard this season, to merit a starting place and if none of the forwards miss out with Sturridge's return then it would have to be Lucas for me.

« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2014 04:44:43 pm by srslfc »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33: Jan 15, 2014 04:41:25 pm
      Henderson has done far more than Lucas, and arguably Gerrard this season, to merit a starting place and if none of the forwards miuss out with Sturrisge's return then it would have to be Lucas for me.

Aside from Suarez, I would have to say Hendo has been player of the season so far. The midfield failings that have occurred this season I have largely attributed to the performances of Gerrard and Lucas and less so from Jordan. Indeed one of Stevie or Lucas should be moved for Joe Allen once he comes back. I would prefer Lucas, Allen and Henderson myself.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #34: Jan 15, 2014 05:11:37 pm
      Sorry for just picking out this bit mate but he had a very nasty injury last season only weeks after coming back from a previous nasty injury.  He's still a young lad and I'd say it's obvious that he's being gradually brought back in to give him time to recover properly without being rushed.

Yes we've needed him a few times this season but I'd rather not push him and have him fully fit for future seasons than use him when he's not ready and potentially end his career.

That's definitely a fair point, but I still think he should be ready to play. If he's on the bench then he's declared fit enough to play isn't he? I'm not even saying 90mins, even bit part play in matches if we're in a solid winning position. It's now January, how long do we give Kelly? Sometimes I just get a feeling it lies deeper than match fitness, Kelly really excelled under Dalglish for me and I was hoping he would be in the side by now. But I'm not a fitness coach  ;D, god knows what's going on with Kelly Debs.

Yeah he's played there when we've had a switch in the match Paul, I'm not 100% sure he's played there for an entire match I'll leave someone with a better memory than mine to fill in that blank.

I agree with you here but that's a different debate and when the midfield positions are already full (in the 3-5-2) I see no harm in trying to upgrade our weakest position with what, on current form, is a better player and certainly someone who appears to have the proper attitude which we need at the moment.

Fair point and in the system I posted I would hope that Henderson could use his relentless energy to fill the gaps in midfield while Skrtel could cover for him in transition if needed. However I can certainly see your point on this.

Yep Kelly has been frustrating and Debs does make good points regarding the injuries he's coming back from, but like you I think he should have recovered by now and be contributing when we're struggling so much in his position.

Fair enough Paul, but in this reply you've been far more constructive from my perspective and I should perhaps apologise for taking my frustrations out on you personally. I just can't stand posts that simply say anything from the person they choose to quote is rubbish but offer nothing as an alternative.

No need to apologise mate! I can see where you're are coming from in regards to Hendo, it's a pretty similar situation to how Kuyt became a work horse on the flank. But I still think we'd lose more in midfield than gain as a team if he was to move position. We lack mobility and stamina and I think that's our team's biggest problem hence why I'm against Hendo going to RWB.

Henderson has done far more than Lucas, and arguably Gerrard this season, to merit a starting place and if none of the forwards miss out with Sturridge's return then it would have to be Lucas for me.

Tbh mate as soon as I posted it I did think to myself 'hmm maybe Henderson should be starting instead of Lucas'. I agree with you, I'd probably swap Lucas for Hendo.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #35: Jan 15, 2014 05:38:02 pm
      That's definitely a fair point, but I still think he should be ready to play. If he's on the bench then he's declared fit enough to play isn't he? I'm not even saying 90mins, even bit part play in matches if we're in a solid winning position. It's now January, how long do we give Kelly? Sometimes I just get a feeling it lies deeper than match fitness, Kelly really excelled under Dalglish for me and I was hoping he would be in the side by now. But I'm not a fitness coach  ;D, god knows what's going on with Kelly Debs.

I don't think there is anything more to it mate.  It's not like Brendan doesn't like him or he doesn't fit his future plans.  He's had a contract extension under Brendan and he also tried to sign him at a previous Club.

I think we just need to be patient with him, something Brendan seems happy to do.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #36: Jan 15, 2014 10:26:08 pm
      Hmm.
      The asymmetric 4-2-2-2.

Not sure we can handle such a complex formation right now.

Exactly! It depends on your reference point but sometimes it could look like a gigantic 1. If they line up properly a defender sees only on player ...then they fan out!

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #37: Jan 15, 2014 10:29:09 pm
      If we were going to play 3-5-2 I would do it like this:

Mignolet
                 Skrtel      Agger      Sakho
        Henderson                            Johnson
                        Gerrard    Lucas
                             Coutinho
                        Suarez Sturridge

With Enrique coming back into the side as soon as he's fit. To be honest though I see no reason at all to change to 3-5-2, I think it exposes our weaknesses and the benefits of getting both into striking positions will be more than lost in the lack of service they'll receive and the goals we'd ship.

Sturridge and Suarez are both incredible players, they should have no problem sharing the striking responsibility and the work load of one of the wider players in the 4-3-3 we more naturally play. Our concern can never be to make sure Luis gets the golden boot or breaks shed loads of records, neither can it to be to keep Sturridge 100% happy playing only as a striker. We should fit the pieces together the best they can and that is a 4-3-3 with alternating strikers/wide-forwards.

Against weaker opposition you could easily swap Raheem, Coutinho and Henderson as needed, Raheem or Henderson in the wing back role, any of them in the AM.

Quick Reply