Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM v Aston Villa?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Aly Cissokho
      3 (2.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      34 (30.4%)
      Kolo Toure
      1 (0.9%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      25 (22.3%)
      Raheem Sterling
      16 (14.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Luis Suarez
      5 (4.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      14 (12.5%)
      Lucas Leiva
      9 (8%)
      Joe Allen
      2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Jan 23, 2014 07:26:56 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Aston Villa: In game and Post match deconstruction

Read 39736 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Aston Villa: In game and Post match deconstruction
      Reply #690: Jan 20, 2014 11:53:06 am
      Just finished re-watching the game again, lets start with some a positive, this thread needs it. :) Henderson & Skrtel were head & soldiers above every other player on the pitch, both were diminished by having to cover so much ground because those around them were poor.  Sturridge, Suarez and Sterling, when given service actually looked threatening. In the 11 minutes Lucas was on, I saw more communication between our back line & keeper than during the rest of game put together.  Agger does a little talking, Skrtel much less and Mignolet is struck dumb at present, it was Carragher's greatest strength, organisation is where he was a key player for us.  The unsettled nature of our back line has caused problems and it needs working on and it's worth mentioning that 3 of that back line be shouldn't be starters for us, either based on form or the players unavailable to us through injury and let us not pretend that isn't a problem in itself.

Rodgers has to take some flack as well, that kind of attacking line up, against a team noted for its away form, its counter-attacking style and playing better against the 'big' boys this season  I caught the end of their game against Arsenal last weekend, the combined pace, power and trickery that Benteke and Wiemann displayed, especially as they both play in between the DM and defence with the added threat of Agbonlahor was always going to cause Gerrard problems and it seems to be noted already and teams apply pressure on him straight away.  We haven't a strong enough team to impose ourselves for 90 minutes against most of the Premiership and certainly not a quick, powerful, counter-attacking side.  Coutinho should have missed out, he looks like he needs the rest and either Lucas or Allen should have started, I know hindsights 20-20, but the starting line up surprised me, just from what I'd seen of Villa this season, which by and large has been poor, except when you let them play the football they thrive on. 

Lets end on a positive as well.  As poor as we were, we fought back for a point and when's the last time we fought back from 2-0 down at home in the league?
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #691: Jan 20, 2014 12:21:26 pm

I think I said in an Earlier post I was up in the Centenary with Cissokho directly below me. He did get forward, but had no idea what to do when he got there. If he was our best defender (going forward) then we really do have big problems. Seriously he was being laughed by the crown near me, plus a few expletives. Also what you didn't see his how bollocksed he looked and on more than a few occasions was trotting back totally out of the game.

IMO was the worst Liverpool player on the pitch., but it's all about opinions eh...
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #692: Jan 20, 2014 12:24:13 pm
      Just finished re-watching the game again, lets start with some a positive, this thread needs it. :) Henderson & Skrtel were head & soldiers above every other player on the pitch, both were diminished by having to cover so much ground because those around them were poor.  Sturridge, Suarez and Sterling, when given service actually looked threatening. In the 11 minutes Lucas was on, I saw more communication between our back line & keeper than during the rest of game put together.  Agger does a little talking, Skrtel much less and Mignolet is struck dumb at present, it was Carragher's greatest strength, organisation is where he was a key player for us.  The unsettled nature of our back line has caused problems and it needs working on and it's worth mentioning that 3 of that back line be shouldn't be starters for us, either based on form or the players unavailable to us through injury and let us not pretend that isn't a problem in itself.

Rodgers has to take some flack as well, that kind of attacking line up, against a team noted for its away form, its counter-attacking style and playing better against the 'big' boys this season  I caught the end of their game against Arsenal last weekend, the combined pace, power and trickery that Benteke and Wiemann displayed, especially as they both play in between the DM and defence with the added threat of Agbonlahor was always going to cause Gerrard problems and it seems to be noted already and teams apply pressure on him straight away.  We haven't a strong enough team to impose ourselves for 90 minutes against most of the Premiership and certainly not a quick, powerful, counter-attacking side.  Coutinho should have missed out, he looks like he needs the rest and either Lucas or Allen should have started, I know hindsights 20-20, but the starting line up surprised me, just from what I'd seen of Villa this season, which by and large has been poor, except when you let them play the football they thrive on. 

Lets end on a positive as well.  As poor as we were, we fought back for a point and when's the last time we fought back from 2-0 down at home in the league?

When was the last time we were 2-0 down at home in the league?
      It doesn't exactly happen often enough for any analysis to have statistical vailidity.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #693: Jan 20, 2014 12:33:22 pm
      The problem is Gerrard, apart form that 15 minute surge in the second half he was awful, which brings me to an earlier point, and it is pretty fecking obvious really, that his best role from this point until he retires is an an impact sub, now grow a set Brendan and drop him, for the good of the team. Oh btw Cissokho probably is the worst defender we've ever had, Brendan protecting his ego by playing him instead of Kelly, again not thinking of the team but himself.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #694: Jan 20, 2014 12:39:44 pm
      Like I said, for me the single most worrying thing about all this, is what on planet Earth and Mars the Gaffer saw in Cissokho in the first place.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #695: Jan 20, 2014 12:44:54 pm
      Some of our dabbling in the transfer market deffo has to be reviewed. Many are/have not yet shown any signs of improving our starting 11.

Who is head of scouting these days?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1508 
      Reply #696: Jan 20, 2014 12:48:21 pm
      Some of our dabbling in the transfer market deffo has to be reviewed. Many are/have not yet shown any signs of improving our starting 11.

Who is head of scouting these days?
      Good question, it used to be those ex Man City scouts before they left a few months ago. Judging by Apas, Cissokho and Moses, I think it's David Cameron. Well, he generally screws up most of the time.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #697: Jan 20, 2014 12:53:54 pm
      When was the last time we were 2-0 down at home in the league?
      It doesn't exactly happen often enough for any analysis to have statistical vailidity.

The fact that it is rare does not diminish the result.  We were poor and rescued a point. We had issues to address in how we ended up two behind, but those issues don't detract from our coming from two goals behind, whilst not playing well. 
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #698: Jan 20, 2014 01:41:27 pm
      Disasterous first half, better second half.

Chalking this one down to the Manager.  Against Villa we should never have put three up front and reduced the midfield allowing them free range through the middle down the wings on the counter.  If this wasn't clear before the game it was blatently obvious after the first ten minutes.  You could see their goal coming and this was the time to make a change.

Also I agree that there are better options in the squad and in the reserves than some of the players selected as has been well discussed above.

Must try harder Brendan!
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #699: Jan 20, 2014 01:47:58 pm
      I think I said in an Earlier post I was up in the Centenary with Cissokho directly below me. He did get forward, but had no idea what to do when he got there. If he was our best defender (going forward) then we really do have big problems. Seriously he was being laughed by the crown near me, plus a few expletives. Also what you didn't see his how bollocksed he looked and on more than a few occasions was trotting back totally out of the game.

IMO was the worst Liverpool player on the pitch., but it's all about opinions eh...

I thought he was sh*t myself lad.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #700: Jan 20, 2014 04:19:48 pm
      Disasterous first half, better second half.

Chalking this one down to the Manager.  Against Villa we should never have put three up front and reduced the midfield allowing them free range through the middle down the wings on the counter.  If this wasn't clear before the game it was blatently obvious after the first ten minutes.  You could see their goal coming and this was the time to make a change.

Also I agree that there are better options in the squad and in the reserves than some of the players selected as has been well discussed above.

Must try harder Brendan!
      The problem wasn't that we put 3 up front but that the formation was changed. Lucas should have started that game with Gerrard and Hendo in front. We played a 4-2-2-2 I'd say (instead of our usual 4-3-3). It should be Villa who are trying to alter formations to counter our threat, not the other way about, especially at Anfield. If we started with our usual 4-3-3 set-up, the team who played against Stoke, I'm sure we would have got the 3 points.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #701: Jan 20, 2014 05:00:50 pm
      Henderson describing Suarez as an ''easy target'' and dismissed suggestions that he dived, he went on ''there is contact and it was a definite penalty, it's too easy to point the finger at Luis sometimes.''
      Very hard to argue with Jordan's statement, although judging by the picture in the Manchester produced Echo there is no contact at all!?!?
      Perish the thought but surely there's no way the paper's location could influence it's reporting is there.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jordan-henderson-defends-luis-suarez-6527579
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,437 posts | 3421 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #702: Jan 20, 2014 05:07:35 pm
      All the Suarez debate missed the elbow in the head and the knee up the arse he got in the first half which went unpunished (as well as the volleyball from the villa defender), at times we were kamikaze with leaving 2 on 2 at the back with the full backs nowhere to be seen. the team was far too stretched from the first minute, hope Brendan learns his lesson now as he sure has hell didn't learn anything from the villa game last year.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,246 posts | 923 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #703: Jan 20, 2014 07:22:26 pm
      Gerard's performance was bud but the two full backs were woeful. Cissoco was bad but at least he tried, were as Johnson can't be bothered when is BR going to drop Johnson. He is dire drop him now
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #704: Jan 20, 2014 07:43:51 pm
      Well that was a bit of a let down. Was at the match and havent had a chance to digest the result properly.

I thought we played shocking in the 1st. Coutinho, albeit with poor passing, ran the show. His movement is incredible. The Gaffer got it all wrong with the 442 and Gerrard just got crowded out and we really didnt have a chance. Glad to see the change happening so soon and once Lucas came on we were much better. He gave Kolo and Aly an avenue to pass out of, without him they had nothing and their flaws were exposed 10 fold. Aly is clearly MUCK! Crowd on his back rightly so. We still should have won though. Hopefully Everton slip up but cant see it happening. Hope the Derby is a cracking win for us. Coleman vs Cissoko is terrifying.

On a plus note - Met Kenny D. in our hotel, followed up by bumping into Werner, Ayre, Lovely Linda and John. I was star struck and then finally I met Sakho in the stadium before he went in. He was late, clearly knew he wasnt playing.
      Made my weekend!!!!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #705: Jan 21, 2014 12:18:14 am
      hope Brendan learns his lesson now as he sure has hell didn't learn anything from the villa game last year.
      Or the Swansea game, or Hull game this season !

BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #706: Jan 21, 2014 04:33:57 am
      Well that was a bit of a let down. Was at the match and havent had a chance to digest the result properly.

I thought we played shocking in the 1st. Coutinho, albeit with poor passing, ran the show. His movement is incredible. The Gaffer got it all wrong with the 442 and Gerrard just got crowded out and we really didnt have a chance. Glad to see the change happening so soon and once Lucas came on we were much better. He gave Kolo and Aly an avenue to pass out of, without him they had nothing and their flaws were exposed 10 fold. Aly is clearly MUCK! Crowd on his back rightly so. We still should have won though. Hopefully Everton slip up but cant see it happening. Hope the Derby is a cracking win for us. Coleman vs Cissoko is terrifying.

On a plus note - Met Kenny D. in our hotel, followed up by bumping into Werner, Ayre, Lovely Linda and John. I was star struck and then finally I met Sakho in the stadium before he went in. He was late, clearly knew he wasnt playing.
      Made my weekend!!!!
      Glad the day still panned out well for you tho the result didn't go in our favor, regards.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1508 
      Reply #707: Jan 21, 2014 07:38:42 am
      Or the Swansea game, or Hull game this season !
      But has learned his lesson against the scum, Spurs away, Fulham, Stoke away, Sunderland away, Palace, West Brom, Norwich, West Ham, and Cardiff

He's not going to win every game and he does give me the impression that he does learn from mistakes
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #708: Jan 21, 2014 10:45:10 am

Made my weekend!!!!

JWH and his good lady wife are a very rare sight in these environs, KD, Werner and Ayres in the same location other than Anfield would suggest something is in the offing.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #709: Jan 21, 2014 08:49:15 pm

Perish the thought but surely there's no way the paper's location could influence it's reporting is there.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jordan-henderson-defends-luis-suarez-6527579

Perish the thought Stu.

Would even think of such a thing. They are so nice that end of the East Lancs .....
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #710: Jan 22, 2014 04:55:18 am
      Henderson describing Suarez as an ''easy target'' and dismissed suggestions that he dived, he went on ''there is contact and it was a definite penalty, it's too easy to point the finger at Luis sometimes.''
      Very hard to argue with Jordan's statement, although judging by the picture in the Manchester produced Echo there is no contact at all!?!?

gotta love misleading pictures

a split second before or after the contact will make any player look like they are diving
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #711: Jan 22, 2014 06:52:39 pm
      JWH and his good lady wife are a very rare sight in these environs, KD, Werner and Ayres in the same location other than Anfield would suggest something is in the offing.

Ye mate they were having the pre-match board meeting in one of the conference rooms in Hope St Hotel!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #712: Jan 22, 2014 09:24:34 pm
      Ye mate they were having the pre-match board meeting in one of the conference rooms in Hope St Hotel!

I would hope there'd be something more long term on the agenda.

Quick Reply