Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)

Read 14393 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)
      Reply #92: Jan 26, 2014 03:19:34 pm
      We'll see those options players' worth now mate as they get their chance with no questions asked - and that [a Liverpool team without Glen] should make an awful lot of fans happy. Let's wait-see if that pans out.

My guess is that a fit Enrique will help... Flanno to right back and Jose straight back in on the left.

My opinion bbb is that with Johnson out we are defensively stronger, albeit offensively weaker.

A defender in my eyes should strengthen the defensive unit. When Johnson is on it he's one of the best attacking full backs in the League but it cannot be argued that his defending and awareness of danger is nowhere to be seen. It's all well and good when he's playing F**k in the opposition half, it's when he loses the ball and can't get back that we suffer.

Whether that is to do with this supposed long term injury is neither here nor there to me mate, Brendan has to held accountable for knowingly fielding an injured player and therefore weakening the defence. We have more than enough attacking flair to compensate for the loss of Johnson, unless Johnson is fully fit then that balance down the right flank becomes an imbalance and a weakness.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #93: Jan 26, 2014 03:21:52 pm
      Flanno was probably seen as Johnson's number two with Cissokho being Enrique's number two.

Cissokho is definitely a number two alright mate. The problem is that he is a 'wedger', no matter how many times you flush, the little bugger won't budge!.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #94: Jan 26, 2014 03:23:04 pm
      Seriously. Make an enquiry about Micah Richards' availability.
      Yeah we all know he CAN be a great asset when 100%

:lmao: I'm fitter than Micah Richards for F**k's sake.  :lmao:

The thing is we'll all know soon enough if Kelly/Flanno/whoever are better than Glen. I'm sure no-one wanted to see him out with injury but Glen's detractors should be happy he's not going to be playing. I hope, for the sake of the team it works out.

Certainly better, than the same scenario, as it has unfolded on the left. Sometimes you should watch what you wish for... I hope this ain't one of them 'sometimes'.

My opinion bbb is that with Johnson out we are defensively stronger, albeit offensively weaker.
      Fair enough mate.

As you know I'm not as 'old-school' in my thinking as that - I believe the team defends better when we have the ball (and play high up the pitch) and we play better as a team. There's way more to defence than just being able to tackle or head a ball.

Look at our defensive form in the second half of last season. Look at the players involved [Pepe, Enrique, Agger, Johnson]. To a man those players were maligned for their defensive 'frailties'. Yet look at the clean sheets they kept [9 in 19].

Now look at our first half this season without them [Pepe, Enrique, Agger, Johnson] and all their defensive 'frailties' [5 in 19].

Having backs who are better at defending than attacking doesn't necessarily translate into a better defence and certainly not the way we are set up to play in my opinion but I'll agree to disagree mate.
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2014 03:39:31 pm by bad boy bubby »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #95: Jan 26, 2014 03:24:28 pm
      Cissokho is definitely a number two alright mate. The problem is that he is a 'wedger', no matter how many times you flush, the little bugger won't budge!.

Yeah he's a good old Richard the 3rd alright.

Quick Reply