Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match vs Fulham

Simon Mignolet
      (0%)
      Jon Flanagan
      (0.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (0.6%)
      Kolo Toure
      (0.6%)
      Aly Cissokho
      (0%)
      Steven Gerrard (c)
      (67.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (1.2%)
      Phillipe Coutinho
      (11.8%)
      Raheem Sterling
      (1.2%)
      Luis Suarez
      (6.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      (8.2%)
      Joao Teixeira (sub)
      (1.8%)
      Daniel Agger (sub)
      (0%)

Fulham 2 - 3 Liverpool : In Game & Post Game Added Time Celebration

Read 36011 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Fulham 2 - 3 Liverpool : In Game & Post Game Added Time Celebration
      Reply #782: Feb 13, 2014 12:32:04 pm
      Massive result !!..
      I'm sure there'll be a few more heart stopping second halves before the seasons out.. The likes of Palace,Southampton, Cardiff and West Ham away spring to mind..especially if we don't tighten up at the back.
      Made up to see Agger back on the back line for the final Fulham onslaught..
      What a sweet finish by Stevie for that Penalty eh..
      Made up today I am...
      Thats a whopper shiner as well..ouch !

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #783: Feb 13, 2014 01:07:50 pm
      Watched the game in a Spurs bar i Copenhagen and they werent pleased to see Gerrard scoring that penalty for a win - or me jumping around screaming YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAH, yeeeeees, WU-HU, YEPYEPYEPYEPYEP, Aaaaargh, HMMMFFFFFP, LOLOLOLOL.....

Did you pop to Christiania to celebrate?  :cool-smiley-027:
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #784: Feb 13, 2014 01:28:41 pm
      A truly incredible night, atmosphere was absolutely bouncing in a crammed away end (and there were quite a few more fans than seats, f*ck knows how they all got in but fair play!). My player ratings on the night:

Mignolet: Didn't have much to do in truth, but on watching the second goal on telly (it was at the far end of the ground so couldn't see it really) I think he probably ought to have come for it. 5/10

Flanno: His worst game since his return, between him and Skrtel (along with Mignolet) they made a right bollocks of it for their second. Sloppy in possession. 5/10

Skrtel: Aside from the 2nd goal where he was one of the guilty, was excellent. This is particularly so as he had an accident waiting to happen playing alongside him. 8/10

Toure: Bless him Kolo was absolutely brutal on the night. The own goal did for his confidence and he got progressively worse, awful. Would have been a lower mark but for some typical never say die defending in the final few moments. 4/10.

Cissoko: Not really a game made for his "talents", in that Fulham never attacked him and were happy to let him have the ball all night if he wanted. The second part is something which we'll no doubt see repeated as time goes on, but by and large Aly didn't make any mistakes and only fell over it once. 5/10.

Gerrard: Absolutely immense, a colossus. Aside from a suspicion he maybe ought to have tracked Richardson for their first goal, performed the defensive part of his duties brilliantly and provided the pass of the season for our first goal. Then to compound it all buried the penalty under the harshest of pressure. Once again made a mockery of his doubters in the DM role, and was our man of the match by a squillion miles 9.5/10.

Henderson: Very disappointing for me. Fulham played an innovative little pressing system on Gerrard with Luis Holtby in particular almost doing a man marking job on him and Darren Bent screening in front. Gerrard told Henderson where to go in order to receive the pass which he would otherwise have been expecting on numerous occasions, and very often the ex Sunderland man was afforded acres of space. That he failed to make a telling contribution to the game despite Fulham concentrating so much on Gerrard says much, and when Brendan talks about bringing "more quality" into the team it's not hard on this showing to see where he means. Must do better. 5/10.

Coutinho: Aside form the goal was disappointing. His shooting is awful, even in the warm ups before the game he is erratic and he needs to have a rethink. To my mind he kind of looks like me when I'm swinging a golf club, it's all a bit hurried and he tries to hit it too hard. I'd like him to get himself on the training pitch and perfect his "swing" a bit. For starters I'd let the ball come an inch or two more under his body before he hits it, or alternatively concentrate on getting his standing foot an inch or two closer. This allied to him "staying down on it" (much like the old "keep your head down" mantra in golf) ought to see him strike it more consistently. As one of the "barometer" players I mentioned before the game (along with Sturridge and Henderson), he was poor in the first half just like the others. Second half he like they was more "at it", but must do more. If we had a stronger squad, he wouldn't have scored because he'd have been pulled by then. 6/10. 

Sterling: Was one of the players which caused Fulham to defend incredibly deep. Given that, his pace was always going to be less of a factor and he had a quieter game than he or us have become used to. Did little wrong though and always looked lively. 6/10

Suarez: A quiet game by his standards but still lit up the game with illuminations of utter brilliance. His spirit permeates through the team too, a truly wonderful footballer. 8/10.

Sturridge: Scored one and made the other by getting the penalty. Annoyingly greedy at times but a striker who oozes class on the ball and always looks likely to get on the scoresheet. It must irk Chelsea fans to see him doing so well, and given his age how the f*ck Brendan signed him unopposed for 12 million quid I'll never know. 8/10.

Subs: Texeira: I've seen him praised on here this morning and he's clearly a talented footballer. He has much to learn though, shooting when he should have taken his man on when he first came on, then surrendering possession a couple of times in stoppage time. 5/10.

Agger: Apparently got some headers in. From where we were you couldn't see, but great to see him back in any case. 6/10.   
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #785: Feb 13, 2014 02:00:02 pm
      Did anyone else notice Gerrard play more offensively and Henderson defensively in the 2nd half?

Henderson was so redundant in attack so I think they kind of reversed roles? I was really disappointed with Henderson, It was a game we needed him to drive into the box or offer support to the attack but It didn't work out.

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #786: Feb 13, 2014 02:22:37 pm
      Subs: Texeira: I've seen him praised on here this morning and he's clearly a talented footballer. He has much to learn though, shooting when he should have taken his man on when he first came on, then surrendering possession a couple of times in stoppage time. 5/10.

A very good post, so my apologies for singling out this bit.  You're right, Tex wasn't perfect.... But, for a 21 year old kid on his debut with the 1st team it was about as good of a cameo as you could hope for.  I certainly thought he showed good technical ability on the ball, had a good sense of positioning and tactical awareness, and showed good composure in possession to suggest that we have a real talent on our hands.  I would normally expect a kid his age with no 1st team experience to turn into pressure, run down blind alleys, and get bullied off the ball.  Instead, he turned away from pressure, typically played the smart pass, and kept things ticking over.  Yes, he was wasteful with his shot, and yes he did surrender possession cheaply once or twice towards the end, but overall I was sufficiently impressed with the young lad. 

Edit:  Oh, and perhaps most importantly..... he didn't go hiding.  He wanted to get on the ball and get involved in the game, and I love seeing that sort of ambition from a young player!!
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #787: Feb 13, 2014 05:47:50 pm
      Was delighted with the win but the performance in the first half was very frustrating,  just like against West Brom.

It's our attitude is these away games that looks wrong. We don't start the games with an obvious determination to go and get three points. The amount of slow sideways passes we do at the back shows the wrong attitude. We need more aggression away from home to go and get three points. We need the defenders to be looking forward for passes and not pissing around with the ball at the back for long periods.

If we play against Southampton as we have against West Brom and Fulham, we'll lose. So while grateful for the 3 points last night, we clearly need improvement away from home. I'm not sure Coutinho and Sterling away from home works.

DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #788: Feb 13, 2014 07:14:12 pm
      Did anyone else notice Gerrard play more offensively and Henderson defensively in the 2nd half?

Henderson was so redundant in attack so I think they kind of reversed roles? I was really disappointed with Henderson, It was a game we needed him to drive into the box or offer support to the attack but It didn't work out.

i did notice it but imo BR has it right.  gerrard should stay more defensively as he doesnt have the legs for a full 90 anymore.  however, we were losing / tied and gerrards presence was critical so he moved up and pushed the attack... hendo then played cover for him

i think this is a great idea... gerrard is able to last 90 mins and because he is more DM during the game, if we need him to move up, he still has the energy in the last quarter to make a difference
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1668 
      • YNWA
      Reply #789: Feb 13, 2014 08:39:55 pm
      Absolutely crucial 3 points last night. MADE UP to win it :)
      One of those nights, dark and cold, away to a struggling side fighting for everything. Could easily have come away with a point, saying 'ah sure, we probably didn't do enough to win it', and be relatively OK with that - but fighting back twice to level it and then nicking it at the end - SG's reaction at the end also showed how important it was. If we can start winning these games, we're not just in the running for top4, but for the title. We're already excellent at home, that might be the start of an improvement in consistent away results.
      Last night was the first time this season I really thought we could be in with a chance of the title this year. To shoot ourselves in the foot twice, with some keystone cops defending, and still come back to win it showed character that we have lacked in past seasons. Improving our away form, while continuing the home form - who knows.
      It's brilliant that we know we can score goals anywhere, just behind City with goals scored. If we can get our act together in defense, it would make a huge difference. If we can get some guys back in there, shore things up, improve the distribution - takes some pressure of the lads up front.
      SG was my MOTM, pass of the season to setup the first, and cool finish at the end. Stuck the chest out, stayed calm, professional Captains performance again.
      And HUGE credit yet again to BR, imo is staying calm, not getting carried away, saying it's others to loose etc etc
      We're the form team in the PL imo, if BR can keep everyone focused and the players retain the character shown last night, f**k me the goosebumps won't be far behind.....
      erics_dad
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #790: Feb 14, 2014 12:41:33 am
      Normally, I read ALL thread posts but don't have time ;D

I didn't get to the see the match live, despite having Sky and BT Sports. How did you folks see it? Were you there at the match? Anyway, I did see on Sky a more "extended view" of the match later on and of course watched MOTD.

Toure (*sigh), it's bad enough he had that poor pass the other match against W Brom and then the ridiculous "clearance" (into our net) but to then bulldoze the ref and not even offer a helping hand...sorry, I said to my wife "he must be drunk", she said, "I bet he was high" ;D. Anyway, whatever, he's too easy a target so I guess....poor Toure??? Actually, I feel like we should get rid and hope Agger comes back asap. Plus, when's Enrique back? Miss him!

Again, going off the "extended replay" of the match, not watching it live, I was NOT impressed by a lot of our boys' plays BUT....we friggin' stuck it out and focused on the bloody win and while I was watching the "live feed" on BBC's site, I shouted with gutteral glee when SG got the penalty. Watching the playback, seeing Suarez cut Coutinho's goal celebration short, said a lot. "Let's stay focused boys, this ain't over yet". Despite the OG, despite not playing as brilliantly as we did against Arsenal (OMG, we flippin' KILLED it!) I still say that there is this intangible sense of optimism I'm feeling about this season.

I'm NOT going to go on about winning the league (as much as I'd love to!). I have to admit I'm more concerned about CL than winning but...I told my wife (and this is just a gut feeling guess) that I feel at one point before the end of the season, we'll be #1 again but, I don't know if we'll finish #1, I think we might be #2. This might offend some of you, sorry. I hope to hell we finish first but, my focus is on us finishing in top 4. Keep Man U-shited 3+ games behind us, redeem ourselves against Man City and Chelsea and spread points between us and the Spurs. I'm not saying the Spurs aren't on good form lately but I feel as long as we keep winning, then I feel we'll distance ourselves from the Spurs. I don't feel they've got the same "team passion" as us, but hey, they're winning lately so we def' have to keep winning...and we are!

The more we win, the greater our confidence grows. The young lads like Henderson, Flano, Sterling & Couts seem to be picking up their game and there's just something, some intangible magic that is happening with our club, that I remain optimistically confident we're going to end this season in a very, very good place!

Despite being heavily biased, I feel we're THE team this season, most improved (as a team and even player to player), and if the boys can keep the confidence up (which we haven't seen a lot of in the past few years) then dammit....we got a fu**in' chance to win it. Go Reds! YNWA!
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #791: Feb 14, 2014 12:57:27 am
      A truly incredible night, atmosphere was absolutely bouncing in a crammed away end (and there were quite a few more fans than seats, f*ck knows how they all got in but fair play!). My player ratings on the night:

Mignolet: Didn't have much to do in truth, but on watching the second goal on telly (it was at the far end of the ground so couldn't see it really) I think he probably ought to have come for it. 5/10

Flanno: His worst game since his return, between him and Skrtel (along with Mignolet) they made a right bollocks of it for their second. Sloppy in possession. 5/10

Skrtel: Aside from the 2nd goal where he was one of the guilty, was excellent. This is particularly so as he had an accident waiting to happen playing alongside him. 8/10

Toure: Bless him Kolo was absolutely brutal on the night. The own goal did for his confidence and he got progressively worse, awful. Would have been a lower mark but for some typical never say die defending in the final few moments. 4/10.

Cissoko: Not really a game made for his "talents", in that Fulham never attacked him and were happy to let him have the ball all night if he wanted. The second part is something which we'll no doubt see repeated as time goes on, but by and large Aly didn't make any mistakes and only fell over it once. 5/10.

Gerrard: Absolutely immense, a colossus. Aside from a suspicion he maybe ought to have tracked Richardson for their first goal, performed the defensive part of his duties brilliantly and provided the pass of the season for our first goal. Then to compound it all buried the penalty under the harshest of pressure. Once again made a mockery of his doubters in the DM role, and was our man of the match by a squillion miles 9.5/10.

Henderson: Very disappointing for me. Fulham played an innovative little pressing system on Gerrard with Luis Holtby in particular almost doing a man marking job on him and Darren Bent screening in front. Gerrard told Henderson where to go in order to receive the pass which he would otherwise have been expecting on numerous occasions, and very often the ex Sunderland man was afforded acres of space. That he failed to make a telling contribution to the game despite Fulham concentrating so much on Gerrard says much, and when Brendan talks about bringing "more quality" into the team it's not hard on this showing to see where he means. Must do better. 5/10.

Coutinho: Aside form the goal was disappointing. His shooting is awful, even in the warm ups before the game he is erratic and he needs to have a rethink. To my mind he kind of looks like me when I'm swinging a golf club, it's all a bit hurried and he tries to hit it too hard. I'd like him to get himself on the training pitch and perfect his "swing" a bit. For starters I'd let the ball come an inch or two more under his body before he hits it, or alternatively concentrate on getting his standing foot an inch or two closer. This allied to him "staying down on it" (much like the old "keep your head down" mantra in golf) ought to see him strike it more consistently. As one of the "barometer" players I mentioned before the game (along with Sturridge and Henderson), he was poor in the first half just like the others. Second half he like they was more "at it", but must do more. If we had a stronger squad, he wouldn't have scored because he'd have been pulled by then. 6/10. 

Sterling: Was one of the players which caused Fulham to defend incredibly deep. Given that, his pace was always going to be less of a factor and he had a quieter game than he or us have become used to. Did little wrong though and always looked lively. 6/10

Suarez: A quiet game by his standards but still lit up the game with illuminations of utter brilliance. His spirit permeates through the team too, a truly wonderful footballer. 8/10.

Sturridge: Scored one and made the other by getting the penalty. Annoyingly greedy at times but a striker who oozes class on the ball and always looks likely to get on the scoresheet. It must irk Chelsea fans to see him doing so well, and given his age how the f*ck Brendan signed him unopposed for 12 million quid I'll never know. 8/10.

Agger: Apparently got some headers in. From where we were you couldn't see, but great to see him back in any case. 6/10.   

F**k me you have most of the team with terrible grades. We did not play as poorly as you suggest, while it was not our best game and we scrapped a win out of it, we were not utterly poor.

Flanno was not as bad as you suggest. I saw some fantastic runs and he stuck with his marks like glue and was good defensively. His crosses were awful but he will have to work on that. For that goal it was neither his or Skrtel's fault. The guy was standing at the top of the box, and Flanno was on his mark. The guy ran in the box unmarked. That is one of the center mids job to pick up. He was barely in the box when the cross was hit. Your not going to see a CB go to the top of the box, it is not his position, that is the job of a center midfielder. Skrtel was doing his job to win the ball. He was trying to get something on it and he did you can not blame him. If he did not get a touch it would have gone through and Flanno was on the guy there but it was so close to the net anything could have happened.

I thought Coutinho was great. Nobody played to good in the first half. Second half he was really playing some good passes and getting stuck in defensively. His shots are not the best, but he is getting better. His goal was fantastic. And that is what sparked our comeback. He really helped take control of the game in that second half.

Harsh on Texeira. He comes on in his debut and did not shy away and went after the ball. He even got a shot off. You can't expect anyone to set the world alight in his debut. Thought it was a solid debut to build off of.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #792: Feb 14, 2014 05:34:39 am
      They were only showing the Arse and Manc game Live that night.  What a dire game that was.
      Time to time the goal updates would come in the bottom screen.  It showed 2-1 to Fulham last than did not show it again during the match at the Emirates.  Went to bed thinking we had once again squandered the opportunity to close the gap.  Amazed to read in the internet that we had won the match.
      Watched the match in replay and thought Stevie G was the MOTM, gritty performance to come up with a close win to keep us dreaming.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #793: Feb 14, 2014 08:33:38 am
      Great result in the end but certainly touch and go. Fulham made it very difficult and probably deserved something from the game. But, our fight impressed me, and Brendan has made that clear. This game has an image of when we played Fulham and Portsmouth in consecutive days under Rafa, winning with late goals. We can't let that continue, opposing teams will start to get the better of us.

Gerrard was breathtaking at times. The pass to Sturridge was nothing short of exquisite, Danny's finish cool and calm. Kolo at the back looked shaky but having seen the analysis on MOTD, it did show me that our defence as a whole looked unsure. Midfield we were sound and in attack, we were always dangerous. Cut out these slip ups and who knows what we can achieve.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #794: Feb 14, 2014 08:51:05 am
      Yet another Keystone Cops defensive display away from home, which could and probably should have cost us dearly, but the magnificent Gerrard, and quality of Sturridge and Suarez saved the day. Christ, we need Agger and Enrique back. And a new goalkeeper. But our attacking prowess is fierce.

Mignolet (4). Hates crosses more than f**king Dracula. Has no presence or command of his box and is useless with his feet. I don't think he's anywhere near good enough if all he can offer is good reflexes. But I've been saying that from the very start.

Flanno (5). Had an OK-ish game, but was left trailing by Holtby and Richardson more than once, as he isn't very quick.

Toure (2). F**k me. Watching this fat-arsed oaf waddle about in his skintight shorts is nothing short of an embarrassment. A disaster of a performance and needs to be shipped oout of Anfield.

Skrtel (4). Comedy display from his horrific partner dragged Skrtel down with him. He clearly had zero confidence in Koko Toure and that was refelcted in his own display.

Cissokho (5). He is never going to be a good footballer, but his defending was largely sound and he never shirked his duties.

Gerrard (9). Slow start as Holtby and Sidwell were dominant, but slipped into his usual routine nicely and supplied a world-class pass to Sturridge and a nerveless penalty. Having a great run of form and still our best player.

Coutinho (7). Drifted in and out and didn't have as much influence as he has in recent games, but scored via deflection and wasted another decent chance.

Henderson (5). Did more of his usual shift: lots of energy, no real attacking threat at all. Needs to be more aggressive and confident if he is going to play that high up the pitch, as his goal threat is minimal.

Sterling (7). Pace as ever a threat, and he worked very hard, which is great to see. Not enough threat though.

Suarez (7). Having a dry time of it in front of goal, but still struck a post and supplied some great passes.

Sturridge (8.). Scored a great goal from *that* pass and won the penalty. He really is a totally nerveless finisher and his shooting is dangerous from any angle.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #795: Feb 14, 2014 10:57:19 am
      F**k me you have most of the team with terrible grades. We did not play as poorly as you suggest, while it was not our best game and we scrapped a win out of it, we were not utterly poor.

Flanno was not as bad as you suggest. I saw some fantastic runs and he stuck with his marks like glue and was good defensively. His crosses were awful but he will have to work on that. For that goal it was neither his or Skrtel's fault. The guy was standing at the top of the box, and Flanno was on his mark. The guy ran in the box unmarked. That is one of the center mids job to pick up. He was barely in the box when the cross was hit. Your not going to see a CB go to the top of the box, it is not his position, that is the job of a center midfielder. Skrtel was doing his job to win the ball. He was trying to get something on it and he did you can not blame him. If he did not get a touch it would have gone through and Flanno was on the guy there but it was so close to the net anything could have happened.

I thought Coutinho was great. Nobody played to good in the first half. Second half he was really playing some good passes and getting stuck in defensively. His shots are not the best, but he is getting better. His goal was fantastic. And that is what sparked our comeback. He really helped take control of the game in that second half.

Harsh on Texeira. He comes on in his debut and did not shy away and went after the ball. He even got a shot off. You can't expect anyone to set the world alight in his debut. Thought it was a solid debut to build off of.

It's all opinions mate and we're entitled to have them. If you look above this post you'll see some people make my post look like I'm praising the lads up! I would say to you though that we needed two late goals to beat the team which is rooted to the bottom of the league and we struggled like f*ck to get them, so I personally think we can play far better hence the marks.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #796: Feb 14, 2014 11:06:22 am
      It's all opinions mate and we're entitled to have them. If you look above this post you'll see some people make my post look like I'm praising the lads up! I would say to you though that we needed two late goals to beat the team which is rooted to the bottom of the league and we struggled like f*ck to get them, so I personally think we can play far better hence the marks.
      Although I haven't read your post mick, I tend to agree, that even though we picked up 3 points, we did through three factors, hard work, luck, and skill. The skill factor was the least of the three variables; we won, but we did not play well.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #797: Feb 14, 2014 11:14:38 am
      Skrtel (4). Comedy display from his horrific partner dragged Skrtel down with him. He clearly had zero confidence in Koko Toure and that was refelcted in his own display.

You forgetting the fact that Skrtel has made a few mistakes this season and has also scored more own goals than Toure? For you to suggest that Skrtel only had a relatively poor game because of KOLO Toure is an absolute joke. Skrtel's lack of communication and spacial awareness along with Flanagan was the fault for the second goal. Forget about Kolo not being in the desired position, if Skrtel, Flanagan or even Mignolet deal with that cross then we don't concede a second.

manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #798: Feb 14, 2014 11:17:49 am
      You forgetting the fact that Skrtel has made a few mistakes this season and has also scored more own goals than Toure? For you to suggest that Skrtel only had a relatively poor game because of KOLO Toure is an absolute joke. Skrtel's lack of communication and spacial awareness along with Flanagan was the fault for the second goal. Forget about Kolo not being in the desired position, if Skrtel, Flanagan or even Mignolet deal with that cross then we don't concede a second.

Skrtel has indeed made mistakes. He was horrific against Hull. He's also been our best defender overall, and is having a greats season. Kolo Toure has not, he's been largely useless. with the emphasis on "large" the tubby get.

It's embarrassing that he plays for us, he's about 6 years past his best and shouldn't be anywhere near our first team.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #799: Feb 14, 2014 11:50:18 am

The lack of commuication in our back five is poor, I'd thought we'd see Gerrard be a bit more vocal with them, considering how often he slips in to the backline, but that's not happened either.  Sakho might have it in his game, but it's something that Carragher's retirement has certainly emphasised.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #800: Feb 14, 2014 12:41:59 pm

You been watching the game through red tinted glasses again Mick ? :)

I daren't give my marks, especially for our defence in that first half.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #801: Feb 14, 2014 02:07:09 pm
      You been watching the game through red tinted glasses again Mick ? :)

I daren't give my marks, especially for our defence in that first half.

Agree with this, and also that Gerrard was pretty poor defensively. It's his job to track the runners, not go out to the wing where there were already 3 players pressing.

A great pass and a good-ish penalty don't really take away from his poor discipline defensively.
      He got better as the game went on, but too many times he just let his man run past him.

Henderson was doing the dirty work in front of him, and he only ever had to pick up one runner, so imo he should have done better.

That said, he had a decent game when pushing us forwards, but that was always the strongest part of his game, and it was noticeable that Henderson dropped behind him on occasion to let Gerrard dictate the play further up when we were pushing them hard in the 2nd half.

I like to see us mixing it up a bit with the midfielders, and we even had Coutinho dropping in behind Gerrard on a couple of occasions to drag fulham players out of position.
      I'll give credit for that to BR, because it looked to me like they were told to do that.

Slowly but surely, BR is instilling a very fluid system, but our centre is so soft without a dedicated DM in there, which showed when fulham waltzed straight through the middle a few times in the opening minutes.
      BR has tackled this by playing a deep back line against strong teams, but we still have a lot of problems when playing a high line.

All in all, a good effort from the lads, a good 3 points, but some issues still to work out against teams who park the bus and look to hit on the counter.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #802: Feb 14, 2014 02:12:36 pm
      . but our centre is so soft without a dedicated DM in there, which showed when fulham waltzed

I think our centre has looked better since Gerrard's been deployed there - defensively or otherwise.

Funny how people see things differently.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #803: Feb 14, 2014 02:34:59 pm
      I think our centre has looked better since Gerrard's been deployed there - defensively or otherwise.

Funny how people see things differently.

It is too. The good thing since Gerrard has moved into the centre is that not only do we look far more solid, but we also look much more potent on the counter. In pretty much all of the games since he's gone in there, the goals we've conceded have been down to calamitous individual errors rather than us just being walked through which was happening too often previously. We kept a clean sheet against Everton, Toure gave a goal away against WBA, then another against Fulham before Skrtel and Flanno fell over each other. Defensive midfielders no matter who they are can't do too much about those kind of goals, indeed the only legitimate one we conceded WAS Gerrards fault when he gave the penno away against Arsenal.

Fortunately some of the more entrenched views on here aren't reflected by the views of either the manager or the wider football world. 

DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #804: Feb 14, 2014 02:45:19 pm
      just rewatched the game again. 

just wanted to point out at the 94ish minute, bent had a killer opportunity, luckily he didnt react fast enough.  At that time, Agger was on for cou so we had 5 in the back.  when it deflected over to bent, our CMs were all about 1-2 yards on each side of him.    Positioning details is what I hope BR is going to work on.  I truly believe proper positioning is over 50% of the battle.  In no way should Bent be able to stand where he is without a red shirt bugging him.

some of you have pointed out lack of communication.  I agree with this.  Skrtel and flanno had a lack of awareness / communication and thus that joke of a second goal happened.  flanno should have got that ball and skrtel covered incase it bounced out the way it did

Quick Reply