Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Armin Hodzic (Liverpool -> Dinamo Zagreb)

Read 3544 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Armin Hodzic (Liverpool -> Dinamo Zagreb)
      Feb 19, 2014 03:11:52 pm
      Thought I'd start a player thread for this young lad as he's been doing really well at his loan club Zeljeznicar this season.  He's been playing regularly and scoring almost as often with a goal every 120 mins.  I'm assuming his visa/work permit issues have been sorted now as he's been training with the 1st team during the recent winter break in Bosnia so it'll be good to have him back in the summer.  With Morgan being released, Ngoo on loan and probably not coming back and Yessil having 2 serious injuries in less than a year we are desperately short of attacking options coming through the Academy.

For those of you who don't know much if anything about him here's some background info.

Hodzic was signed by Liverpool in May 2011 from Bosnian side Zeljeznicar Sarajevo for a reported fee of €150,000, after the young striker had broken a number of goalscoring records in the Bosnian youth leagues, and impressed on international duty with the Bosnian Under 17 and Under 19 teams. He put pen-to-paper on a long-term deal, thought to be as long as six years, which would take him to the age of 22. Injury meant Hodzic had to wait until 19 July 2012 to make his Liverpool debut, which came in a Reserves' pre-season friendly against the USA under 20s. Hodzic netted a fine goal in the match which finished 4-2 to Liverpool. He followed this up with another impressive finish in the 8-4 Under 18s pre-season friendly win over Bury on 21 July 2012. For the 2012-13 season, Hodzic returned to Bosnia to compete for Zeljeznicar on loan. He linked up with Zeljeznicar again for the 2013-14 season. 
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Re: Armin Hodzic (Liverpool -> Dinamo Zagreb)
      Reply #1: Feb 19, 2014 04:17:48 pm
      Good to see we are still tracking and signing promising young players!  Hopefully this kid will be a better fit for BR's style of play than the likes of Ngoo....
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2: Mar 15, 2014 07:30:45 pm
      I'm not sure as to how much of a competitive league it is in Bosnia but 10 goals in 15 matches is some going. The fella looks a genuine prospect.

Armin Hodžić brace against HŠK Zrinjski
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Mar 22, 2014 10:00:01 am
      Just a bit more info on how our young player is progressing.

It seems like every few months or so, a new name pops up in Bosnia, or across the Bosnian diaspora, some unknown young talent, being compared to Bosnia’s leading hitman, Edin Dzeko.  And yet, very few truly live up to the hype and the expectations.  Many said that Armin Hodzic would fall through, like countless others, but just as Dzeko was a diamond in the rough, Zeljeznicar might have hit the jackpot, and bottled lighting for a second time.

Armin Hodzic (1994) is a 19 year-old striker playing for FK Zeljeznicar in Bosnia’s top domestic flight, the Premijer Liga, on loan from Liverpool.  Standing at 1.82m, Hodzic is a mutli-talented forward, possessing the classic strength and positioning prowess of a traditional center-forward, but also speed and technique which usually compliments secondary strikers, or classic tens.

Hodzic passed through Zeljeznicar’s youth ranks before Liverpool purchased the young talent in May of 2011, for a reported fee of 150,000 euros.  He has since then premiered for Liverpool’s youth teams, as well as the reserves, but predominately played on loan back to his home club Zeljo.

So far this season, Hodzic has scored ten goals in 18 league matches, a total of 1256 minutes.  He is the leading scorer of the best club in the Bosnian Premier League.  Hodzic has passed through all of Bosnia’s youth teams, currently playing for the Bosnian U21 teams under Vlado Jagodic.

Hodzic in action for Bosnia

Back when Hodzic was still playing for Zeljeznicar’s youth team, at 16 years old, current manager Amar Osim (son of Ivica Osim) had just taken over as manager.  Upon viewing the player for the first time, he declared, “For nobody can you truly say whether they will become a good player or not.  You cannot know for certain how their body will develop and in which direction their head will follow.  One thing is certain however, if he stays healthy, Armin Hodzic will be a fantastic player.”

16 year old Hodzic

It would seem that Osim’s words are slowly becoming true, with Hodzic evolving into a top player, worthy of being considered one of the best to come through Zeljeznicar’s school, and certainly in the Bosnian youth system.  Recently, the young player showed incredible composure and understanding of when to pick a moment by scoring two important goals to bring his team victory over league rivals Zrinjski Mostar, who are also in the championship hunt.

After spending the winter break with Liverpool, training and developing, bettering his body and skill, the young player’s game is already like night and day compared to the fall portion of the season.  After showing some signs of rust in the first game against Bijelina, he was still proclaimed the player of the match, despite missing some good chances.  He’s shaken off the rust with gusto since.

Hodzic at Liverpool

“I feel great after doing well with Liverpool.  I’m hungry to prove myself, hungry for goals and competition.  I’m more confident, and I know I can play even better than before.  I’m happy my career is on the right path.”

FK Sarajevo ace, and legend, Slavisa Vukicevic, who works for the “Sport global management,” group observed the young player at the Zeljeznicar – Zrinsjki match.

“My agency was working with FIFA during the Kosovo & Haiti friendly.  Upon the request of two Ligue 1 clubs, I came here to scout Hodizc, and I have to say, I am incredibly impressed.”

“I saw a player that reminded me of Suarez.  He can play on multiple positions on the field, left, right, in the middle, as a secondary striker, or as a classic forward.  He runs a lot, and he has that certain hunger and desire in his eyes and in his legs. His technique is excellent for such a young player.  All in all, he has all the predispositions to become a top player in the world.”

Game by game, Hodzic is evolving and maturing as a player, showing all of the attributes necessary of a big time player.  Hodzic is truly living up to the hype, and in Dzeko’s fashion, a domestic diamond in the rough, waiting to be discovered.  On derby day in Sarajevo, Zeljeznicar faced their old cross town nemesis in the quarter final of the Bosnian Cup.  Hodzic played the full 90 minutes, and even though he didn’t score, created loads of chances for his club, contributing to build up play, and playing unselfishly.

Hodzic holds off two Sarajevo defenders, loses possession briefly, but doesn’t give up on the play and claws back the ball with a precisely timed tackle, passing it in one fell swoop to set up the winger on his left. This is just one example of the competitive spirit in the boots of the young striker.

Beyond football, off the field, Hodzic is a poster child player, always smiling, with a can-do attitude, quickly becoming a fan favorite with the Zeljeznicar fans, who have on numerous occasion given him the “Player of the Month,” award.  They see a skilled player in Hodzic, but above all, a fighter.  Luka Modric, who at one time played for Zrinjski in Bosnia’s top league once stated, “I played football in Bosnia and made it.  Any player who can do that, has my respect.”  And in the mud drenched, cold football fields of Bosnia, Armin Hodzic has made it.

http://bhdragons.com/is-armin-hodzic-the-next-edin-dzeko/

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Jul 27, 2015 04:30:11 am
      He's just broken the internet:

https://vine.co/v/egH5EQt6KeM
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5: Jul 27, 2015 08:09:20 am
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Jul 27, 2015 09:38:54 am

Good to see he's doing well.  Such a pity we never sorted a work permit out for him.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #7: Jul 27, 2015 11:05:22 am
      Scored hat trick in this game. Been waiting for him to be given a chance in first 11( last year he played very little). Have high hops for him.

Quick Reply