Voting closed: Mar 01, 2014 03:36:59 pm

Liverpool 4-3 Swansea: In Game Chat and Post Match Defibrillation

Read 34063 times
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Re: Liverpool 4-3 Swansea: In Game Chat and Post Match Defibrillation
      Reply #713: Feb 24, 2014 10:18:02 am

The likes of MOTD have started to highlight Skrtel on defenders in set pieces and
      I'll be honest he's lucky that we don't get penalised more often. Skrtel seems to
      always be focused on "containing" the player, and quite a few times he's been warned
      about it.

My views a little different.... I honestly think Skrts doesn't do more "Grabbing" than most top defenders..
      May have been his fault to start with (Genuine foul highlighted on MOTM) but I think there's a too much concentration on this fellas handling of players in the box, magnifying his normal-ish behavior.. Just watch what actually takes place in the box instead of watching the ball in ANY game. Sumo wrestling?lolol
      I think Boney played for that foul perfectly tbh?

manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #714: Feb 24, 2014 10:47:22 am
      Jesus, that was not great viewing from a defensive purist POV, we were all over the place at the back, with yet another Keystone Cops/ Benny Hill display at the back. What was most worrying is that we had almost our strongest defensive line-up, with Agger and Johnson back, and only long-term absentee Enrique missing.

It's easy to blame "individual mistakes" but a good defence is a collective; a unit. We don't have one and it requires serious investment and work over summer and from now until the end of the season. I have talked an awful lot about Mignolet's weaknesses, of which there are many, but he has no presence and control of his area at all. He reacts to crosses like a Translyvanian Count on a sunny beach. We obviously miss Carragher, not just from a defensive excellence perspective, but his organisational skills. Skrtel had a scrappy game indeed, and Agger was equally culpable.

But they were again given less than amazing protection from a ragged midfield, which only highlights the requrement for midfield reinforcements in summer. A player like Matic at Chelsea, ideally. Shelvey, who is neither quick nor exactly subtle in his movements was allowed to amble into dangerous positions at will, and eventually scored that magnificent goal (and much kudos to him for the subdued celebration, which was rightly acknowledged by The Kop, a lovely moment).

Mignolet (5). Not much chance with the goals, but he was to blame for lack of organisation, communication and presence. Distribution and kicking terrible as ever, but made several good stops. Which is what he's been doing all season.

Skrtel (4). Having a good season, but this was not a display he will enjoy watching again. All over the place at times.

Agger (4). Like Agger a lot, but when you're subbed off for Kolo Toure, you know you've not had a great game. Found Bony a proverbial "handful" and looked rusty.

Johnson (4). Good to ahve him back, but a below-par display. Gave Bony and co far too much freedom in and around the box

Flanno (6). Another solid display and didn't let the disparity in pace between him and Routledge overwhelm him.

Gerrard (6). Needed more help than he got from the rest of the midfield. Typical great passing and drive, and unlucky with shot that came off the post.

Coutinho (5). Average. Some nice movement, but not involved enough and Swansea's midfield ran rings around ours in general.

Henderson (8). Two goals - one a quite splendid strike - and the usual energy and stamina. But should have done more to bully Shelvey and De Guzman in particular, who were too influential.

Sterling (6). Quite splendid pass for Sturridge's first, but should have used his pace more to get in behind Swansea.

Suarez (7). The drought continues. Brilliant cross for the third goal and worked hard to create chances for himself and others. The goals will return, but he is playing a bit too far away from goal.

Sturridge (9). Probably the best striker in the Premiership at the moment. He looks as if he will score at any moment and his movement and pace is simply deadly. Skilful and merciless. Great player.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #715: Feb 24, 2014 10:53:39 am
      Has to share responsibility too though mate. It's actually really irritating me now how rooted to his line he's getting.

His kicking, communication, presence and general terror of the high ball has been ever-present all season.

I called him a classic relegation team shot-stopper months ago. That's what he is. Not good enough, and making our defence look teerrible.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #716: Feb 24, 2014 10:54:59 am
      What our defence lacks is that Carragher-type leadership that keeps defenders on their toes.

Looks like, right now, each defender is playing his own game and hoping other defenders hold up their own end of the bargain and defend well.

The keeper is a bit quiet too.

The defenders are good but they're not a cohesive unit. That needs leadership.

I think you're right, it needs a mouthy b***ard. Then again Kolo never shuts up but I suppose to be the mouthy b***ard you have to lead by example on the pitch too to gain that respect. Looking forward to Sahko getting back in. At the same time lets remember that Agger and Johnson haven't had much game time at all really.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #717: Feb 24, 2014 10:57:32 am
      His kicking, communication, presence and general terror of the high ball has been ever-present all season.

I called him a classic relegation team shot-stopper months ago. That's what he is. Not good enough, and making our defence look teerrible.

I think we can't altogether judge him personally if we don't know what his instructions are. If he is told not to come for anything then he won't come for anything. On the whole I don't think he has been as bad as you are making out. Plus, if you are going to call him out for everything you have to balance it with the amount of points he has won for us and to me that is quite a few. He certainly isn't the whole reason our defence has looked bad at times.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #718: Feb 24, 2014 11:06:54 am
      Wanna watch an exciting game? Want to not go to sleep watching an "arse"nal? Want to see pure tempo football as it's played in the English league etc? In other words we have the most entertaining games even when, to our despair, we lose.
      Today's or yesterday's game was/is what football can be, even if we might have had a draw we can afford the brasilian logic of we'll score one more. I wouldn't have thought it'd be Henderson but no one here or at home understands how his winner made my day or year.
      Jordan Henderson you beautiful b***ard come back kid, I love you for this.
      (non gay)

You say that but I saw you yesterday with your mate and I can't repeat what I saw between you and him;)

wghennessy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #719: Feb 24, 2014 11:09:13 am
      Why Skrtel gives refs the opportunity to make such decisions is the question irrespective of was it a pen or not.

But he didn't because it wasn't a pen. He has to stick close to Bony, that's his job.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #720: Feb 24, 2014 11:18:13 am
      After going 2-0 up, it looked like we'd hit them for another 5 like we did last year. Didn't quite happen, but we got the job done. Now off to Southampton to settle a score or two.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #721: Feb 24, 2014 12:46:39 pm
      . Now off to Southampton to settle a score or two.

What like when they turned your lot over 6-3 when you wore them awful shirts?
      Or Le Tiss putting one through Taibi's legs?

8)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #722: Feb 24, 2014 12:48:52 pm
      Was at a christening all day yesterday so thanks lads for the brilliant coverage on the forum, was praying my phone wouldn't ring during the service.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #723: Feb 24, 2014 03:58:16 pm
      Honorable mention to Joe Allen. He was great when he came on.

Bring on the Sooton for some payback!!!

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #724: Feb 24, 2014 04:16:32 pm
      had to give myself a night to sort out the game.  (well that and it was date night so I was busy :D)

ok, offensively we are pretty awesome... i think everyone can see this.  However defensively we are like a league 2 side.  Also, we have have the most amount of OGs in the league?  we always seem to score on ourselves.  Really tough luck with skrtel, every deflection off him yesterday was goal bound.

I thought hendo, sturridge, suarez sterling were top notch.  Allen did good as well when he went on.  Moses added nothing to the team. Kolo coming on was a sign that the boss thought agger was poor

seriously, if we had the defense of chelsea and with our offense, we would've won the league by now.  we bleed so many goals its ridiculous

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #725: Feb 24, 2014 04:18:39 pm
      This season is ageing me something rotten.
      Milestone
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      • Liverpool FC - The only club to watch in England
      Reply #726: Feb 24, 2014 08:51:12 pm
      My moment was Shelvey not celebrating after scoring. Much respect for this guy... Hope we buy him back later...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #727: Feb 24, 2014 09:14:29 pm
      This season is ageing me something rotten.

you won't enjoy the next 11 games then because they will test anyone's nerve regardless of how long we have supported this club.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #728: Feb 25, 2014 04:04:27 am
      you won't enjoy the next 11 games then because they will test anyone's nerve regardless of how long we have supported this club.
      the run in is difficult for any team. I think Rodgers handled it well to say everybody is talking about arsenal city and Chelsea for the title,  as for Liverpool we'll just finish as high as we can.  That way it's less pressure to keep the media writing us off... then we might even win it.

Quick Reply