Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM v Southampton

Simon Mignolet
      10 (6.4%)
      Glen Johnson
      1 (0.6%)
      Jon Flanagan
      1 (0.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      9 (5.7%)
      Daniel Agger
      0 (0%)
      Steven Gerrard
      4 (2.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      7 (4.5%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.6%)
      Luis Suarez
      123 (78.3%)
      Raheem Sterling
      1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Voting closed: Mar 08, 2014 07:43:32 pm

Southampton 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Celebration

Read 42704 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Southampton 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Celebration
      Reply #667: Mar 01, 2014 10:26:10 pm
      This is easily one of them games where we could have been lucky to escape with a draw, our record against them since their return to the Premiership hasn't been good at all. They don't really have any great players IMO but they have a team that knows how to work well together. Our shape was all wrong today and if it was against a better team then we would have been punished. They were exploiting us out wide massively in the first half, switching it from side to side and having time to look up and build a half decent attack. They were looking to get Chambers in behind Johnson and it was working, very easily because every single game Johnson seems to think he is a Centre Back, far too often when the opposition are attacking us he is far too close to our Centre Back and the man attacking down the wing is in so much space and has so much time. Then it got to the stage where he is no where to be seen at all and Agger was having to go across and cover where he should have been. Not good enough. Flanno on the other hand seemed to have it under control, he wasn't perfect but he had a handle on things.

When they hit the post we were an absolute mess, for some reason Skrtel led with his foot instead of trying to head it when Lambert headed it down and Skrtel could easily have caught Lambert and cost us a penalty, it was another piece of poor decision making by Skrtel.

The only real decent bits of play we had in that first half was when Sturridge tried squaring it for Suarez to have a tap in but was vitally intercepted by Fonte and the goal itself which I though Suarez took excellently. A lot of players would have tried to take a touch and then shoot but Suarez hit it first time and found that bottom corner with ease.

Coutinho had a mare all game once again, his passing was atrocious and I only remember him actually pulling off one pass and that was when he slipped it through to Henderson to then put in a cross. He was even failing to make the simple 5 yard passes and gave no effort into tracking back at all. Sterling came on and showed him out it was done, scoring with his first touch I believe and was very impressive, I expected him to go out wide but instead he just played where Coutinho did; he was a threat going forward and was breaking up a lot of the Saints' play in the middle of the park with some clever interceptions.

The second half after Sterling came on was when we started to grow into the game, Suarez should have gone for goal himself but tried to find Sturridge that then led to a bit of a scramble where he then clipped a nice ball over to Sturridge and the play was eventually finished with Hendo blasting over. Though that is probably one of the few things Hendo done wrong, thought he had a really good game today. He didn't do anything spectacular but he kept things ticking over nicely and linked our play up well as well as providing Flanno with good support and had Shaw in his pocket defensively for a lot of the game. He wasn't trying to bomb forward too often and held his position well. Likewise Allen, he struggled at first, especially in the physical sense but he really grew into the game and especially in the second half I think the midfield three of them two and Gerrard played well together. Gerrard was very good defensively, often making amends for one of our defenders losing their man or just sweeping up the lose ball. He then put that penalty away brilliantly like we all knew he would.

This wasn't a great performance by any means and I think the scoreline flatters us, especially if you are basing it on the first half. We had the usual stand out performance by Suarez as well as some other players doing well but if we play like we did today against a better team I fear the points outcome wont be the same. The way we were set up wasn't right for us but we made it work and although we won 3-0 we managed to grind out the result. It's games like this that usually cost us come the end of the season but we made the most of our chances and showed that we can once again win when not playing well. The Fulham game, the Swansea game and this game are easily ones where we often throw away points by simply taking them for granted and although we only scraped a win against Fulham and Swansea we still managed to get the 3 points.

It's incredibly refreshing to be able to take knowledge in the fact that although we weren't at our best, we still managed to come away with not just a 1 goal win but a 3 goal win and a clean sheet.

Well in Reds, now push on and beat the Mancs.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5032 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #668: Mar 01, 2014 10:26:18 pm
      Thank you guys for your kind words of encouragement, your best wishes. & your vote ups , very much appreciated,
      Thank you
      We truly are the best supporters in the world

YNWA

solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #669: Mar 01, 2014 10:33:52 pm
      If we beat Chelsea it will only be one point, if we don't beat Chelsea I don't think it will matter much how many points they are in front. 

You guys are thinking about the Chelsea game? I'm only thinking as fas as next week's game.

Knock that one off with about 4 goals and we're good for the next one.

One game at a time.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #670: Mar 01, 2014 11:32:23 pm
      Thank you guys for your kind words of encouragement, your best wishes. & your vote ups , very much appreciated,
      Thank you

YNWA

Very best of luck Billy
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #671: Mar 01, 2014 11:37:30 pm

We are Liverpool tralalalala
      We're the best football team in the land
      YES WE ARE!
      Poetry in motion tralalalala
      We're the best football team in the land
      YES WE ARE!

Thank you
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #672: Mar 01, 2014 11:39:23 pm
      Brendan keeps on not only beating records but smashing them very impressed with the gaffer today
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #673: Mar 01, 2014 11:50:39 pm
      Yes we are!

Poetry in motion... been battered this today. Absolutely brilliant.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #674: Mar 02, 2014 12:02:53 am
      All the best, Billy. Hopefully your test results will prove as negative as the Manc's season so far :P
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #675: Mar 02, 2014 12:12:56 am
      Massive win, psychologically as much as anything - given our record at St Mary's. It shows we can beat anyone, even on our bogey grounds.

Massive win because Arsenal slipped up and we captalised while maintaining pace with Chelsea. And put distance between ourselves and City.

Words really can't sum up how happy Liverpool Football Club make me. Today is one of those days. Alls I can say is I'm very, very, very F***ing happy.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #676: Mar 02, 2014 12:55:14 am
      GET THE FVCK IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOO

You can see the belief is there, the way we grinded that one out.

OVER THE MOON thought this game was/could have been a stumbling block.

MASSIVE BOOST!
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #677: Mar 02, 2014 12:58:04 am
      Massive win, psychologically as much as anything - given our record at St Mary's. It shows we can beat anyone, even on our bogey grounds.

Massive win because Arsenal slipped up and we captalised while maintaining pace with Chelsea. And put distance between ourselves and City.

Words really can't sum up how happy Liverpool Football Club make me. Today is one of those days. Alls I can say is I'm very, very, very F***ing happy.
      :clap: :clap: :clap:

Brendan R. was asked about our title hope.
      “I'm not focusing on that, to be honest,'' the Reds boss told a news conference after the game. "I'm focusing on winning the next game."

Yes,yes, Boss. Thats the way to do it. Take away the pressure from the players, Play it cool, look only towards the next game. Hang in there.

;) :aaliverpool2xt1: :drinking: :ernaehrung004: :food-smiley-005:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #678: Mar 02, 2014 01:00:04 am
      Outstanding result. There's an argument there that says we were flattered by the 3-0 scoreline but such was our overall superiority in the second half I personally believe it was a just scoreline. The first half was hairy at times but Brendan did a superb point when he got them in at the break. Maybe a simple reminder of their duty as we seemed to have lost all tactical discipline. And then he cemented his tactical supremacy with a brilliantly timed substitution. It was a massive game for us. Even since the fixture list was published last June it was clear that this was going to be a tough tough match particularly after last years poor defeat there. Southampton came at us today but I was delighted that we handled them this time round. To win 3-0 away at St Mary's is a great great result and really has set us up beautifully for the remaining 10 games.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #679: Mar 02, 2014 01:54:43 am
      Yes there were a lot of positives to take out of this game, but there were a lot of negatives too :-

We only scored 3

Brendan didn't butt a Southampton player (more commitment needed Brendan)

Sterling needs to learn that as a substitute he has to make an immediate impact instead of just faffing about for the first 90 seconds.

Yes, Suarez ran about a lot, but he needs to start making a genuine contribution to the team.... apart from scoring , getting an assist and a penalty what did he really do?

After our third goal we never looked like scoring again.

We really need to improve!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #680: Mar 02, 2014 02:06:23 am
      Yes there were a lot of positives to take out of this game, but there were a lot of negatives too :-

We only scored 3

Sterling needs to learn that as a substitute he has to make an immediate impact instead of just faffing about for the first 90 seconds.

Yes, Suarez ran about a lot, but he needs to start making a genuine contribution to the team.... apart from scoring , getting an assist and a penalty what did he really do?

Whole post cracked me up lad but the bit in bold about Suarez just reminded me so much of the Life of Brian scene "what have the Romans ever done for us?"
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #681: Mar 02, 2014 02:45:00 am
      Whole post cracked me up lad but the bit in bold about Suarez just reminded me so much of the Life of Brian scene "what have the Romans ever done for us?"
      I'll have you know You lucky b***ard (Dungeon Scene) Monty Python-Life of Brian  :)
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #682: Mar 02, 2014 03:02:40 am
      Thank you

YNWA

All the very best Billy. You'll win your battle. You'll never walk alone.

As for the win. What a win. We're actually going to win the bloody league aren't we.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #683: Mar 02, 2014 03:07:20 am
      This was such a great win for a number of reasons. First, 3 points against our bogey team and at a difficult stadium. Huge psychological victory. Second, a cleansheet! Third, we had an opportunity to go second and don't you know it, we didn't crack under the pressure like we would have the past few years.

And perhaps most importantly, that was a professional performance. There was a time in the match when Southampton were the better side and should have equalized. But we got ourselves together, kept our composure, and got the insurance goal to seal the 3 points. F**k me we have a shot this year!

Suarez MOTM for me. Goal, assist, won a penalty, didn't stop running. Agger with a great rebound performance too, and another good outing from Allen playing in a 3-man midfield. Great, great win. 10 cup finals from here on out.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #684: Mar 02, 2014 03:15:29 am
      I'm so pissed, but het the F**k in!!!!!!!! Proper resultt hat one, 3-0!!! Title winnning performance!!!!!!!]

Proud as F**k!!!!!!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #685: Mar 02, 2014 03:16:52 am

We only scored 3

:D
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #686: Mar 02, 2014 03:27:05 am
      Third, we had an opportunity to go second and don't you know it, we didn't crack under the pressure like we would have the past few years.
      One of the most important facts to be noted .

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #687: Mar 02, 2014 06:28:29 am
      Thank you

YNWA

Hope everything works out okay for you Billy, all REDS will be thinking of you mate.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #688: Mar 02, 2014 06:34:12 am
      We are good.

We are very, very good.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #689: Mar 02, 2014 07:06:16 am
      Very important result today, and we sit second with most of us on here still believing that our defence and midfield need to be strengthened.  Imagine how we will be when we get that sorted out.

These have been the games in recent past when we have not taken advantage of other results etc, and we certainly seem to have developed a better mental strength, especially after Arsenal had lost and knowing we could leapfrog them as well as City.

The difference in the teams was really that quality in the final third, something we have in abundance at the moment.

Quick Reply