Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Medical Thread.

Read 56676 times
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      The Medical Thread.
      Mar 03, 2014 04:35:58 am
      Hi everyone.
      I have never started a post, so this is my first and hope to get a good response.
      There are many Reds all over the world who have some medical issues minor or major.
      Recently BillyTheRed is had a bronchoscopy on Monday. I hope Bill keeps us updated on his result and health cos this would also help other reds facing similar problems.
      likewise, WhatAHitSon dad is undergoing chemo. Thee is a certain cannibdol oil you can place under your tongue. It has rave reviews in some states in USA. maybe there is a centre in where you are from that may help you obtain this drug. This is good because you don't need to smoke and has no side effects.
      Hope you can all share your experiences.

« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2014 05:14:00 am by BKLFC, Reason: NA »
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Re: The Medical Thread.
      Reply #1: Mar 04, 2014 01:22:31 pm
      Just checked in and glad Reds from all over the world are doing good. Or either they haven't seen this thread  ;)
      Please take time to watch this. It could be the problem for pain to your wife, girlfriend, daughter and help in spreading the awareness.

http://endometriosis.org/news/support-awareness/the-big-bad-wolf-of-endometriosis-raising-awareness-through-ted/

3rd- 9th March Endometerosis Awarness Week

BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Reply #2: Mar 08, 2014 06:11:23 am
      How on earth did the FA Medical team not find a hair line fracture in Jack Whilshire. Assuming that the FA would use a top top radiologist? Either they wanted him misdiagnosed or that medical team needs to be replaced.
      Just goes to show that choosing a top notch expert is crucial even if it means waiting it out a bit due to insurance issues, health benefits, or getting a better referral center.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Reply #3: Mar 13, 2014 01:23:14 pm
      Today is World Kidney Day. Please check if your local community is organizing any free check ups. When 90% kidney has been damaged, it shows no symptoms at all. Urine, blood test, key to diagnose and fight off Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD).
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Reply #4: Mar 21, 2014 09:23:39 am
      Here's an article written by me and my wifey
      My Misdiagnosed Story

For all you women and couples having infertility problems and Pregnancy issues, this article may give you some help.
      After being undiagnosed for 2 years in Kathmandu and suffering immense pain, my husband and I finally went to Delhi for a diagnostic laproscopy and hysterscopy with chromotubation. After surgery and rest we were thankful that I got diagnosed. But the diagnosis I had was Endometerosis and this was the reason for infertility and pain. She gave Lupride injections to suppress the endometerosis and we tried to conceive through the normal way and also IUI, which both ultimately failed.
      By now my endo was making a major comeback and by knowing that Pregnacy suppresses the Endometerosis and that it's such a disease that it can make you completely infertile we went to Kolkata for IVF treatment. Many hormonal injections and medicines later I was finally ready for egg collection. the process went fine but since my case was unique, I had to wait a whole month for my Frozen Embryo Tranfer day and again more medicines and USG to make my endometerial lining perfect for implantation.
      Finally after my FET we waited for our Beta HCG blood report. Boom! I was pregnant. We were so happy and we returned to Kathmandu with the good news.
      My first USG after 4 weeks FET date showed a gestational sac and yolk sac. My second USG I opted for Trans vaginal USG showed same thing but no heart beat. 2 weeks later same result but now the doctors are advising abortion surgically. A week later I decide to get a 2nd opinion and was told it was a Blighted Ovum. I was devastated and we mourned the loss of our baby.
      With my medical condition, I did not want to have a Blighted Ovum in my CV, as this opens a whole can of worms relating to chromosomal health of the embies. The testing for this is very expensive and highly doubt they have the facility to test it here in Nepal. In India my research points to this test being banned as it relates to gender testing, that's why the drs in India try to go around this by collecting maximum eggs during egg collection whereas in some western countries they only take one.
      So a final USG was scheduled, not in the hope that we would hear a heart beat as we knew it was not to be this time, with an independent radiologist in a top centre in Kathmandu. and rightly so there it was the calcified remains of a yolk sac. So my proper diagnosis was a missed abortion.
      There have been cases where after abortion, fetus has been found so you do need a top radiologist to make sure you are not misdiagnosed during pregnancy and always find the best team as your care givers.
      take care all moms to be in the first Tremester, as this has the highest rate for miscarriages. exercise moderately, eat healthy and take lots of rest.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5: Mar 21, 2014 03:52:07 pm
      My lower back is killing me, was taking down a Chimney wall in the house using a large hammer drill, lost my balance on the ladder & hey presto!.

Re aggravated it again 2days ago.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Reply #6: Mar 21, 2014 04:49:09 pm
      Shanbs, how long ago did you have that fall from the ladder? Better get an x-Ray done to confirm there's no damage.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #7: Mar 21, 2014 05:04:53 pm
      Shanbs, how long ago did you have that fall from the ladder? Better get an x-Ray done to confirm there's no damage.

No fall buddy, just lost my balance as I went through a void in the chimney applying too much pressure, lost my balance on the ladder by moving forward but the weight of the hammer drill pulled me down and across.

Sorry to read about the loss you and the wife went through mate with her pregnancy.

My sister has tried for over 5 years to have a Child but the news was not good for her, she was told she would never conceive, husband & wife tried all treatments but failed & were then advised to take an egg donor, after giving the idea some thought they decided to go for it.

She had arranged to meet the doctor performing the op in Barcelona, that's were the egg donor would come from,after arriving in Barcelona she was given some test with one being a pregnancy test! guess what the doctor came back into the room and broke the news she thought she would never hear, she was pregnant & would not need a donor.

Life throws many obstacles at us to test us I guess, I remember when me & the wife were trying for a child, she miscarried our first one, she thought it was the end of the world as we were trying for 8 years, few months later she was pregnant & we have 3 little boys now.

Always have hope, never give up, I hope & pray you and your wife find happiness in children you receive.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Reply #8: Mar 22, 2014 04:22:49 am
      Still get your back checked out tho, Shabs. That's a good descriptive write in your fall. Lucky you didn't smash your head, break a neck or the drill didn't drill into you.

Thanks a lot for posting and sharing and am sooo happy to read about your sister.
      Best
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Reply #9: Mar 22, 2014 05:16:34 am
      I am glad this thread is getting some views and hope my posts can be discussed or helpful to members and guests.

Here's a write up of my own misdiagnosis and all you tumor or cancer waiting to be diagnosed people may find helpful.

MY MISDIAGNOSED STORY II

It was around 6 years back before I got married. It was late afternoon and I felt like having a snack.  I had some momo (Chinese type dumplings) and was enjoying munching away, when suddenly an intense sharp pain hit me right in my left jaw. It was unbearable pain and I sat down in agony until the pain finally subsided.
      At first I had the impression that while I was eating, my jaw must have got some sort of dislocation. The pain never returned and I was busy with my daily routines.
      It was a few months later that my Late Brother in Law, Capt. Sabin Basnet came to my house. I was in the kitchen, eating when he noticed a small lump in my left jaw and told me to get it checked out.
      Several weeks passed and I finally went to a Dentist friend who advised for digital x-Ray of my jaw. She looked at the report and said it must be that the upper joint of the jaw has slipped forward a bit. Thus, the protrusion. I took the report to an orthopedic surgeon and he said the same. He even advised me to chew gum.
      Now several years passed and am married and my brother in law has passed away in a Helicopter Rescue Operation in Solukhumbu region. I look in the mirror and the lump looks to have slowly slowly increasing in size but no pain. I hold the lump in my fingers and it's hard but can move it a little bit.
      Now, I'm trying to figure out which Dr to go and get a check up with. I decide on an ENT because of the proximity to the ear and also the air passage of my left ear goes not feel the same. The ENT does a physical examination of the lump and brushes it off to do nothing since it's not making life difficult for me. He recommends me to get a FNAC done in one his referrals. The FNAC was not painful but left a weird feeling after the doc jabbed it about 3 times to withdraw samples.
      Finally the report comes out as chronic Sialadenitis and I was happy with the report. The ent doc even said he would remove the lump with a simple procedure called a Lumpectomy. I gave it some thought because I wanted this lump (about the size of a big marble) out purely for cosmetic reasons and symmetrical face. But decided not to do anything at that moment since I had issues with my wife's ENDO as well. that time she too was not diagnosed for ENDO.
      So there I am going from hospital to hospital trying to find out the cause of pain for my wife. One family doctor, a urologist advised me to get another FNAC done because he knew the guy that did the FNAC on me and didn't think highly of him.
      Now am in Delhi, wife's recovering from her diagnostic laproscopy and I suddenly remember what the urologist said. Since I was in an international Class hospital, headed to the lab and asked to get a FNAC done. The FNAC process was a bit different, more than jabbing, I could see the guy turning something like a manual drill and it was making a "khrik-khrik" sound.The next day my wife got discharged and also had a glance at my report. It's different to my Nepal report, it's says Pleomorphic Adenoma with advise of Hystopathalogy.
      But I never got a chance to remove it there as I was too busy caring for my wife and we returned to Kathmandu. Till now am still very occupied looking after her. Need to take her for evacuation tomorrow. :(

In concluding, if I had done the lumpectomy. The chances of my Pleomorphic Adenoma turning malignant would have increased significantly as the Lumpectomy procedure does not take out clear margins. Also if you are from a small town, it may be wiser to seek proper diagnosis in a bigger city and an institution which is renowned. Preferably your pathologist should have credentials in getting trained in the top pathology institute in your country or abroad. No matter how good the dr is if the team is bad, you suffer. A word about FNAC, these days an ultrasound guided FNA can be used. This is the safest and most correct way to do FNAC. If not done correctly it may cause spillage and spreading of the tumor or help it turn malignant. After my Partoidectomy surgery to remove my tumor, there was a satellite nodule tumor growing from the main tumor which I feel, may have been caused from the jabbing during FNAC
      I would like to write about my experience of a Partoidectomy surgery but that's for another time. But for now let's smash Cardiff and keep the momentum going forward.
      Best.

BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Reply #10: Mar 22, 2014 10:26:17 am
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Reply #11: Mar 25, 2014 01:34:24 pm
      Ladies and Gentleman, kindly let me present to you the revolutionary System of FUSE Full Spectrum Endoscopy.
      Please see the video and get insight in this latest technology. I am absolutely raving about this god send device to detect problems in the lower GI region.
      Please check it out and check out if a hospital around you has this.
      https://vimeo.com/66772129

It has a great question answers as well, where you can see many more videos of this Endoscope, such as https://vimeo.com/87687216

Enjoy the videos and hope that all of you are able to get the best diagnosis, whatever your health issues, God Bless.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #12: Mar 25, 2014 01:38:38 pm
      BKLFC, are you a medical student or is the wife?.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Reply #13: Mar 25, 2014 01:45:38 pm
      Shabs, hi again.
      No, neither are med students. Getting married and both having medical issues. It just gave me another perspective to life. Getting involved with this test and that really made me realize you need to be on top of your game. Otherwise it's lights out. Just hoping that my post may help a RED or if someone is out there that is seeking answers and this thread may help them.
      One positives from all this experience is that it's been one hell of a learning curve.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #14: Mar 25, 2014 01:52:31 pm
      Shabs, hi again.
      No, neither are med students. Getting married and both having medical issues. It just gave me another perspective to life. Getting involved with this test and that really made me realize you need to be on top of your game. Otherwise it's lights out. Just hoping that my post may help a RED or if someone is out there that is seeking answers and this thread may help them.
      One positives from all this experience is that it's been one hell of a learning curve.

All good buddy, nothing wrong with being prepared or even having knowledge of certain issues which can help you further down the line, as they say prevention is better than a cure.

CORNISH
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #15: Mar 25, 2014 11:27:26 pm
      I m waiting to  have my very  enlarged spleen removed (the sooner the better) to  potentially  save my life. I have blood clots and also  suffer from severe portal hypertension and very  large and eventually lethal esophageal varices(varicose veins).They  are going to  burst  sometime in the not  too  distant  future and i will 100 % guaranteed bleed to  death  in a matter of minutes.
      The problem is my spleen is filling the varices with blood and they  are fit  to  bursting.If i have my spleen removed, no more blood can go into the varices and their " food source" is gone and they will quickly shrink and eventually disappear getting rid of the danger of me bleeding to  death.
      The success rate of me surviving the  splenectomy operation(spleen removal) for my condition is over 85 % ........................ .................

IF my blood clots behave and stay  where they  are and dont  move to  where the doctors dont  want them  to  go.If they move, i will die.
      catch 22 , but not having the op is not an option and have to hope the clots behave themselves.
      If i  survive  i will have to  take anti biotics every day  for life and will still be prone to illnesses and infections that  wouldnt  normally  affect  people with a working spleen.
      Apart  from that  though im as fit  as a butchers dog. ;D.
      sorry  for the long post.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Reply #16: Mar 26, 2014 03:14:44 am
      Cornish, nice communicating with you.
      Sorry to hear that you are going through such a hard time.
      But at least the success is over 85% for a splenectomy.
      Similar stats to my Partoidectomy, not in terms of surviving the surgery but for the tumor to be B9. So try and stay positive and not worry too much. Try and channel all the negative energy into doing things you have been missing out on.
      I am not aware of insurance procedures and NHS services in the UK if you are from there. But from what I have heard it takes ages for all the processing and so forth.
      When do you plan to have your surgery?
      The sooner the better IMO. So maybe trying to push your surgery date nearer would be a good idea. Or if you could get a referral to a better hospital and a highly experienced surgeon specializing in splenctomies the better.
      You will be in my prayers.
      Best.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Reply #17: Mar 26, 2014 03:56:58 am
      Cornish thought this may be of interest to you.
      Drug shrinks spleens, improves quality of life, relieves symptoms in bone marrow disease
      http://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/news-releases/2009/jak2-inhibitor-demonstrates-effective-durable-control-of-myelofibrosis.html
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Reply #18: Mar 28, 2014 06:51:47 am
      Folks! It's Colon Cancer Awareness month. It's the 2nd highest cause of death by cancer in the USA. How many of you have had a screening? Please all get a screening done. It can show pre cancerous polyps which can be removed before turning cancerous. All the best!
      CORNISH
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #19: Mar 28, 2014 10:35:31 pm
      Having my immunisation injections on wednesday morning
      HIB , pneumonia coccal and mennigcoccal.
      Just waiting for a date for the OP now, will be in the next  month i reckon(hope).
      minimum of 2 months off work (might drag it out an extra week or 4 ) and then probably 6 months to  get  back  to  decent level of fitness and hopefully a return back to the gym and restriction lifted by the docs on how far  and fast  i can walk.
      new challenges to meet but ive proved the docs wrong by  still being alive 4 years after i got ill and they  gave me 2 days to  live so bring it on.

Cheers for your words BKLFC.
      Good luck  to  you  and the missus.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #20: Apr 02, 2014 10:58:57 am
      Just back from the consultation with the Chiropractor, analysis, slipped disc :(
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #21: Apr 02, 2014 05:55:44 pm
      Just back from the consultation with the Chiropractor, analysis, slipped disc :(

That does not sound good mate, all the best with the rehab.

BTW if anybody has got any advice on Achilles tendinitiis  it would be appreciated, been suffering for over 6 months, tried the eccentric heel drops in fact still doing them regularly but just cant shift it. Maybe time to put up the five a side trainers for good.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 822 posts |
      Reply #22: Apr 04, 2014 07:03:21 pm
      Shabs, am glad you decided to get it checked out and got diagnosed. Make sure you ask your dr what to avoid and what to do. Speedy recovery to you mate.

Quick Reply