Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

World Cup 2014 - General Discussion

Read 2869 times
      Bier
      World Cup 2014 - General Discussion
      Mar 10, 2014 12:36:52 pm
      Use this thread to discuss anything about the 2014 WC up until any match/team threads are created in the summer.

Strootman out of the World Cup with a long term injury. Big loss for us.
      « Last Edit: Mar 10, 2014 01:26:53 pm by Reslivo »
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: World Cup 2014 - General Discussion
      Reply #1: Mar 10, 2014 02:23:08 pm
      Saw that about Strootman. Can't say I've seen him play that much but obviously a talent and a very key player in the Dutch teams qualification.

Out of interest, anyone care to shine any light on what time of the day (British time) will most games be at? Just want to know how much of it I'll get watching round work.
      Bier
      Reply #2: Mar 10, 2014 02:35:09 pm
      Our national team is in a pretty bad shape as it is. Strootman is 1 of 3 key players, next to Robben and Van Persie.

The games will be from the afternoon untill late at night, most late in the afternoon and early in the evening I believe. Reasonable times anyway.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Mar 10, 2014 02:37:49 pm
      Saw that about Strootman. Can't say I've seen him play that much but obviously a talent and a very key player in the Dutch teams qualification.

Out of interest, anyone care to shine any light on what time of the day (British time) will most games be at? Just want to know how much of it I'll get watching round work.

Think I heard our (Englands) first game kicks off about 11pm GMT Paul, not sure about the others though.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #4: Mar 10, 2014 02:57:49 pm
      Think I heard our (Englands) first game kicks off about 11pm GMT Paul, not sure about the others though.

Would sooner those times that it being on during the day when most of us are at work. Just have to make do with little sleep.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Mar 10, 2014 03:00:52 pm

Would sooner those times that it being on during the day when most of us are at work. Just have to make do with little sleep.

Same here mate.  Sleep's so overrated   ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #6: Mar 10, 2014 03:43:25 pm
      We sure didn't fare well against Ukraine and while I was somewhat optimistic at our chances at the end of the year, Altidore and Dempsey are hitting a patch of very poor form and being in the group of death is going to be tough. The US defense reminds me a lot of LFC's.....plenty of athletic and talented players, but a bit lazy and unfocused at times.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #7: Mar 10, 2014 05:42:55 pm
      We sure didn't fare well against Ukraine and while I was somewhat optimistic at our chances at the end of the year, Altidore and Dempsey are hitting a patch of very poor form and being in the group of death is going to be tough. The US defense reminds me a lot of LFC's.....plenty of athletic and talented players, but a bit lazy and unfocused at times.

Altidore being sh*t isn't a huge surprise. He's not a smart player and he isn't much of a fighter, which is largely why he's been dropped by Sunderland (only scoring 1 goal isn't helping either). Too many Americans failed to contextualize his goalscoring record playing in the Eredivisie. Striker is a big gap for the US because the options are slim: Altidore, Johannsson, Johnson, Boyd, Agudelo, Wondolowski. None of them inspire confidence.

It's shocking how much Dempsey has dropped off. He was playing well at Tottenham, moves to Seattle and has been crap ever since. Amazing how quick that happened.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #8: Mar 10, 2014 05:53:02 pm
      Altidore being sh*t isn't a huge surprise. He's not a smart player and he isn't much of a fighter, which is largely why he's been dropped by Sunderland (only scoring 1 goal isn't helping either). Too many Americans failed to contextualize his goalscoring record playing in the Eredivisie. Striker is a big gap for the US because the options are slim: Altidore, Johannsson, Johnson, Boyd, Agudelo, Wondolowski. None of them inspire confidence.

It's shocking how much Dempsey has dropped off. He was playing well at Tottenham, moves to Seattle and has been crap ever since. Amazing how quick that happened.

I thought Klinsmann had started getting the best out of Altidore, but I suppose it was too good to be true.

It's ok...we still have old man Donovan to carry us to glory ;D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #9: Mar 10, 2014 06:03:58 pm
      I thought Klinsmann had started getting the best out of Altidore, but I suppose it was too good to be true.

It's ok...we still have old man Donovan to carry us to glory ;D

Jürgen did get the best out of Altidore. Beyond now having low confidence, the problem is when he looked good he was against CONCACAF opposition. Germany, Portugal and Ghana would straight up demolish those teams.

;D Laugh if you will, but Donovan is still our best and most consistent player. It's going to really suck when he retires.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6915 
      Reply #10: Mar 14, 2014 12:56:14 pm
      Use this thread to discuss anything about the 2014 WC up until any match/team threads are created in the summer.

Thanks for the nudge Bier - World Cup board has been brought out of it's 4 year hibernation.

This topic Locked.

Quick Reply