Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Something I wanted to share

Read 3736 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Something I wanted to share
      Mar 18, 2014 03:53:13 pm
      Just a quick story i wanted to share from today.

I have been over in Sheffield for a work meeting at a restaurant in the City, I stayed after the meeting to finish some notes and grabbed a coffee. I went to order it at the bar and an older lady brought it over, she saw I was a Liverpool fan and told me a story of the afternoon of the disaster.

She lived in one of the streets off of leppings lane and was at home on the day off the game, she said she was outside before the game and the Liverpool fans she met were great, having banter with her and her neighbours. After everything happened she came outside and saw what was happening and because of the days back then of no mobiles etc she brought her landline out of the window and put it on the wall and told a few of the fans to use it to phone home and let their families know they were ok, she left the phone there til the late that night and when she came out she found numerous scarfs and 4 flat Liverpool caps full of change that the people who used her phone had left her so she didn't have a massive bill to pay.

She said that when the stories came out following she didn't believe them for a second, that the Liverpool fans were a credit to us.

Brought a tear to my eye, I could have listened to her all afternoon.. The fact she did it and didn't ask for anything and the fact our lads in that day of madness thought to thank her for her kindness just shows such a fantastic show of human nature at the worst times.

Just wanted to share.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Re: Something I wanted to share
      Reply #1: Mar 18, 2014 04:00:56 pm

I have been over in Sheffield for a work meeting at a restaurant in the City, I stayed after the meeting to finish some notes and grabbed a coffee. I went to order it at the bar and an older lady brought it over, she saw I was a Liverpool fan and told me a story of the afternoon of the disaster.

She lived in one of the streets off of leppings lane and was at home on the day off the game, she said she was outside before the game and the Liverpool fans she met were great, having banter with her and her neighbours. After everything happened she came outside and saw what was happening and because of the days back then of no mobiles etc she brought her landline out of the window and put it on the wall and told a few of the fans to use it to phone home and let their families know they were ok, she left the phone there til the late that night and when she came out she found numerous scarfs and 4 flat Liverpool caps full of change that the people who used her phone had left her so she didn't have a massive bill to pay.

She said that when the stories came out following she didn't believe them for a second, that the Liverpool fans were a credit to us.

Brought a tear to my eye, I could have listened to her all afternoon.. The fact she did it and didn't ask for anything and the fact our lads in that day of madness thought to thank her for her kindness just shows such a fantastic show of human nature at the worst times.

Just wanted to share.

Brilliant post PD restores faith in the normal human being that does !
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2: Mar 18, 2014 04:28:43 pm
      Brilliant post PD restores faith in the normal human being that does !

It's genuinely touched me mate

I could have hugged her.. What a lady.

I just hope stories like hers reach the public awareness one day.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3: Mar 18, 2014 04:45:45 pm
      Thanks for sharing this....speaks to my belief that the majority of folks try to do the right thing and try to see the good in others. It's a shame there are always a vocal minority that try and ruin that notion.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #4: Mar 18, 2014 05:01:15 pm

They may well do one day but like all good news stories they don't sell papers ! LIES AND FABRICATION on the other hand, well that's different story as well we know !
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Mar 18, 2014 05:07:13 pm
      Heartwarming mate when there are so many horror stories from supposed locals round the ground.

Thanks for sharing it even though it's brought me to tears  :'(
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #6: Mar 18, 2014 06:34:24 pm
      Heartwarming mate when there are so many horror stories from supposed locals round the ground.

Thanks for sharing it even though it's brought me to tears  :'(

I know debs, me too to be honest..

Made my week bumping into her
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7: Mar 18, 2014 07:10:04 pm

Just wanted to share.

Cracking that P.D. in times of the news filled with horror stories these are the stories I cling to most. Thanks for sharing, heart warming mate.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Mar 18, 2014 07:26:50 pm
      I know debs, me too to be honest..

Made my week bumping into her

I bet it has made your week and why not, it's not often we get something positive said about that terrible day.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #9: Mar 18, 2014 11:04:08 pm

Have now mate.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #10: Mar 29, 2014 08:42:01 am
      Lovely story that mate.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11: Mar 29, 2014 08:56:09 am