Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 8th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Shamrock Rovers 0:4 Liverpool (Friendly) Pre, In game and Post match thread.

Read 15149 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Shamrock Rovers 0:4 Liverpool (Friendly) Pre, In game and Post match thread.
      Reply #161: May 16, 2014 10:19:13 am
      Still the topic of discussion this morning.
      Trying to explain to his mother.

We went to see Liverpool mammy.

"Suarez wasn't there"

Neither were Gerrard or Sturridge, but they won 4-0 and daddy got me a cheeseburger and chips, and a scarf.

Job done.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,353 posts | 4968 
      Re: Shamrock Rovers 0:4 Liverpool (Friendly) Pre, In game and Post match thread.
      Reply #162: May 16, 2014 10:48:31 am
      Still the topic of discussion this morning.
      Trying to explain to his mother.

We went to see Liverpool mammy.

"Suarez wasn't there"

Neither were Gerrard or Sturridge, but they won 4-0 and daddy got me a cheeseburger and chips, and a scarf.

Job done.

You are a legend to him right now Racer.

Enjoy it while it lasts!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #163: May 16, 2014 11:01:21 am

That's the key really isn't it.
      They say grandparents enjoy their grandkids more because they relax.
      Then end up with better relationships. There might be a moral there.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #164: May 17, 2014 12:14:14 am
      Glad you and your lad had a good time Racer.....Anfield next hun  ;D  :scarf:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #165: May 17, 2014 09:18:13 am
      Glad you and your lad had a good time Racer.....Anfield next hun  ;D  :scarf:

Absolutely :scarf:

MsGerrard
      Reply #166: May 17, 2014 08:00:52 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #167: May 20, 2014 11:51:43 am

You'll have to let us know where the best chipper is.
      Won't be a game without a cheeseburger now.

Think he's talked more about the burger than anything else,
      apart from Martin Kelly.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #168: May 20, 2014 12:37:47 pm
      ’42,000 morons going to watch Liverpool reserves’: Soccer Republic’s debate on Irish football gets feisty
      TheJournal.ie
      By Sean Farrell | TheJournal.ie – 1 hour 16 minutes ago

TheJournal.ie - ’42,000 morons going to watch Liverpool reserves’: Soccer Republic’s debate on Irish football gets feisty
      Former shelbourne manager Dermot Keely issued a harsh rebuke of Irish football fans last night, claiming the majority are only interested in the game as TV entertainment.

Keely’s words came at the beginning of a debate on RTÉ’s flagship Airtricity League show, Soccer Republic, on the heels of Shamrock Rovers’ money-spinning friendly against Liverpool in the Aviva Stadium on Wednesday.

“It’s absolutely shocking,” Keely said. “42,000 morons going to watch Liverpool’s reserve team – they deserve to go, they deserve to pay their money, they deserve anything they get as far as I’m concerned.

“I do not understand how Irish people cannot support an Irish league. It’s beyond me. If you parachuted half that crowd into Liverpool, they wouldn’t be able to find their way to Anfield.”

He added: “You can’t stall it to go the toilet or make a cup of tea! That’s what they’re into now – you’re in here, you watch your tele and you can go on and stall it, go off and come back and you don’t miss any of the match – that’s not football.”

Keely went on to single out Liverpool’s goalkeeper on the day, Brad Jones, for special criticism, pointing to his poor goals against to games ratio while the Australian was on loan at Tolka Park.

“Brad Jones, I let him go 10 years ago – two games, he played. The only games I managed him in, he let in four goals.”

Richie Sadlier was on the other side of the debate, challenging Keely’s assumptions and finding no room to criticise the people who took up seats in Lansdowne Road on Wednesday, adding that the league must improve to attract fans back to Irish football.

“They’re Irish people who like football, who showed up to a match that the team they support played in.

“The notion that Irish people, just by virtue of their Irishness, should support Irish football – that ignores any discussion on things like facilities, or the standard of play or how clubs are run or how attractive the thing is.

“If you simplify it to: ‘you’re Irish, therefore, go.’ It’s far more complex than that. People find far more reasons to attach themselves to a football team other than the fact they play in this country.”

Link

Nice bloke.

Seems to ignore the fact that the reserves thumped Shamrock Rovers and the fact that being Irish doesn't mean you have to support and Irish Football team. Quite a lot of Irish support their local GAA or Rugby teams.

sh*te facilities, academy structures that play through winter and an unwillingness to go see the Irish equivalent of Stoke City might have a lot to do with it.

GAA has massive community support.
      Rugby might earn you a living at home.

Football has neither of those here.

Anyway Premier League Football has always been massive in Ireland.
      Being bitter about it when Shamrock Rovers have gotten a pay day out of it is odd at best.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #169: May 20, 2014 01:47:40 pm
      ’42,000 morons going to watch Liverpool reserves’: Soccer Republic’s debate on Irish football gets feisty
      TheJournal.ie
      By Sean Farrell | TheJournal.ie – 1 hour 16 minutes ago

TheJournal.ie - ’42,000 morons going to watch Liverpool reserves’: Soccer Republic’s debate on Irish football gets feisty
      Former shelbourne manager Dermot Keely issued a harsh rebuke of Irish football fans last night, claiming the majority are only interested in the game as TV entertainment.

Keely’s words came at the beginning of a debate on RTÉ’s flagship Airtricity League show, Soccer Republic, on the heels of Shamrock Rovers’ money-spinning friendly against Liverpool in the Aviva Stadium on Wednesday.

“It’s absolutely shocking,” Keely said. “42,000 morons going to watch Liverpool’s reserve team – they deserve to go, they deserve to pay their money, they deserve anything they get as far as I’m concerned.

“I do not understand how Irish people cannot support an Irish league. It’s beyond me. If you parachuted half that crowd into Liverpool, they wouldn’t be able to find their way to Anfield.”

He added: “You can’t stall it to go the toilet or make a cup of tea! That’s what they’re into now – you’re in here, you watch your tele and you can go on and stall it, go off and come back and you don’t miss any of the match – that’s not football.”

Keely went on to single out Liverpool’s goalkeeper on the day, Brad Jones, for special criticism, pointing to his poor goals against to games ratio while the Australian was on loan at Tolka Park.

“Brad Jones, I let him go 10 years ago – two games, he played. The only games I managed him in, he let in four goals.”

Richie Sadlier was on the other side of the debate, challenging Keely’s assumptions and finding no room to criticise the people who took up seats in Lansdowne Road on Wednesday, adding that the league must improve to attract fans back to Irish football.

“They’re Irish people who like football, who showed up to a match that the team they support played in.

“The notion that Irish people, just by virtue of their Irishness, should support Irish football – that ignores any discussion on things like facilities, or the standard of play or how clubs are run or how attractive the thing is.

“If you simplify it to: ‘you’re Irish, therefore, go.’ It’s far more complex than that. People find far more reasons to attach themselves to a football team other than the fact they play in this country.”

Link

Nice bloke.

Seems to ignore the fact that the reserves thumped Shamrock Rovers and the fact that being Irish doesn't mean you have to support and Irish Football team. Quite a lot of Irish support their local GAA or Rugby teams.

sh*te facilities, academy structures that play through winter and an unwillingness to go see the Irish equivalent of Stoke City might have a lot to do with it.

Being bitter about it when Shamrock Rovers have gotten a pay day out of it is odd at best.

Very cynical when from all accounts the 43,000 morons mentioned had a F***ing great time of it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,353 posts | 4968 
      Reply #170: May 20, 2014 01:52:14 pm
      Quite a lot of Irish support their local GAA or Rugby teams.

Pretty much the same in the North Racer.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #171: May 20, 2014 02:57:30 pm
      Very cynical when from all accounts the 43,000 morons mentioned had a F***ing great time of it.

Well this "moron"s kid had a great time.

Pretty much the same in the North Racer.

I've seen a few of my friend's kids (F**k I'm old) do cruciate ligaments and other injuries
      from playing in swamped fields during the winter. At kids level there is no excuse for it.
      They should have smaller teams and have a winter break. GAA do it. That's why my son
      plays Gaelic and not Soccer.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #172: May 20, 2014 03:30:10 pm
      Well this "moron"s kid had a great time.

From what I was reading on the forum at the time there was great anticipation, you were saying about your lad that he was beyond excited or words to that effect and you were a bit pleased to get hold of a ticket for yourself.
      I can only think this crank with his talk about 'morons' has psychological issues with a 'Scrooge' fixation and locks himself away at Christmas then fasts right through, it's a good job he's economical with his sperm count or some poor mite could have a woeful time.
      Or he could be a hateful manc.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #173: May 20, 2014 03:44:37 pm
      From what I was reading on the forum at the time there was great anticipation, you were saying about your lad that he was beyond excited or words to that effect and you were a bit pleased to get hold of a ticket for yourself.
      I can only think this crank with his talk about 'morons' has psychological issues with a 'Scrooge' fixation and locks himself away at Christmas then fasts right through, it's a good job he's economical with his sperm count or some poor mite could have a woeful time.
      Or he could be a hateful manc.

Typical of many in the country that don't want to accept Irish Football in this country is rotten at many levels.

I could tell you stories, but this isn't the place for it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #174: May 20, 2014 04:13:41 pm
      Typical of many in the country that don't want to accept Irish Football in this country is rotten at many levels.

I could tell you stories, but this isn't the place for it.

I always thought the Irish football was played a lot in S.Ireland.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #175: May 20, 2014 04:30:01 pm
      I always thought the Irish football was played a lot in S.Ireland.

Schoolboy football in this country is massive.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #176: May 20, 2014 05:29:39 pm
      Schoolboy football in this country is massive.

The christian brothers used to beat the piss out of us with hurleys if they caught us playing football haha
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #177: May 20, 2014 06:54:49 pm
      The christian brothers used to beat the piss out of us with hurleys if they caught us playing football haha

Ha. Yeah. My dad quit hurling and football for the same reason.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #178: May 20, 2014 07:13:41 pm

We got to the railings and a girl offered him one, a half and half.
      He said no I want a real Liverpool scarf.

Feck . Could ave got da price of a pint off Ebay for dat.

Hitched round Ireland many moons back. South West and Cork were magic.
      Hitched up to Dublin and slept in Phoenix Park for a month in the summer ............ when you could ! I'm still alive.
      Lived in Dublin for a year.
      Great craic.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #179: May 20, 2014 07:33:38 pm
      Feck . Could ave got da price of a pint off Ebay for dat.

Hitched round Ireland many moons back. South West and Cork were magic.
      Hitched up to Dublin and slept in Phoenix Park for a month in the summer ............ when you could ! I'm still alive.
      Lived in Dublin for a year.
      Great craic.

Corks a great spot. Heading up in a few weeks. Dublins great away from Temple Bar.

MsGerrard
      Reply #180: May 20, 2014 08:34:28 pm
      You'll have to let us know where the best chipper is.
      Won't be a game without a cheeseburger now.

Think he's talked more about the burger than anything else,
      apart from Martin Kelly.

Aww bless him....plenty of chippies and burger bars around Anfield, but the place he'll want to visit is the fan park which is great for kids  ;) Mighty Red in action !!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,889 posts | 704 
      Reply #181: May 21, 2014 09:03:17 pm
      Quote from stuey
      Very cynical when from all accounts the 43,000 mentioned had a F***ing great time of it.

Those who go to Anfield every week, will probably understand the point he is making. They'll also get the point behind the home fans singing "does your telly know you're here?".

There's nothing the football community in Ireland hate more, than people whose only experience of football games, is on a tv set.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #182: May 21, 2014 10:53:40 pm
      Those who go to Anfield every week, will probably understand the point he is making. They'll also get the point behind the home fans singing "does your telly know you're here?".

There's nothing the football community in Ireland hate more, than people whose only experience of football games, is on a tv set.

Those who go to Anfield every week probably have first to understand they're wasting their time, once a fortnight will cover it- on the telly or not.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #183: May 22, 2014 12:52:16 am

Yeah.
      All the Everton fans will understand the points the bitter pr**k is making.
      Looking over there, complaining about the other team and why it's fans don't come to see them instead.

Quick Reply