Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Inquest updates

Read 70123 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Re: Inquest updates
      Reply #230: Apr 06, 2016 10:45:33 am
      Former police chief denied claims of concocting story to blame fans
      Jury reminded of Bettison role during inquest summing up

As he started his 24th day of summing up Coroner Sir John Goldring reminded the court of the evidence gathering following the disaster on April 15, 1989.
      He said he ''hoped'' they would retire to consider their verdicts either today or tomorrow.

Sir John recapped on the evidence of Norman Bettison who was a chief inspector in S.Yorkshire Police at the time of the tragedy.

Bettison had told the inquests at that time he was asked to become part of the team tasked with gathering evidence to brief lawyers ahead of the enquiry led by Lord Justice Taylor. He said he was part of the team preparing the Wain Report submitted to the force lawyers for the inquiry.
      The coroner said: '''he was involved, he said, in seeking self taken statements, he remembers no queries involving them he says''.

The chief inspector said he was responsible for a section of the report on the events of that day which included some disparaging comments about the fans.
      Sir John Goldring said ''He agreed the statements were to some extent gratuitous and not necessary to a proper understanding of the event''.

read more: 

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-inquests-reminded-role-norman-11135282

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2016 12:22:05 pm by stuey »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #231: Apr 06, 2016 01:09:43 pm
      The jury are expected to be sent to consider their verdict this afternoon.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #232: Apr 06, 2016 01:21:02 pm
      The jury are expected to be sent to consider their verdict this afternoon.

Stomach churner that Stuey, not that I'm expecting anything for a while.  They've so many things to consider, the list of questions is immense and that's before they get to the actual verdicts as each one needs to be done seperately.

I really can't see us having any answers before the 15th, which is what most were hoping for.

I can't imagine how the families and survivors are feeling, talking of which, how's your lad holding up mate?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #233: Apr 06, 2016 02:07:58 pm
      Stomach churner that Stuey, not that I'm expecting anything for a while.  They've so many things to consider, the list of questions is immense and that's before they get to the actual verdicts as each one needs to be done seperately.

I really can't see us having any answers before the 15th, which is what most were hoping for.

I can't imagine how the families and survivors are feeling, talking of which, how's your lad holding up mate?

It will as you say Debs be a lengthy process in putting together the thousands of statements and the actual evidence from the UK's longest running inquest on record. Wouldn't be surprised if the jury is out for weeks.

Funny you should mention me lad, I was looking on the Hillsborough section in the Echo and there was a disturbing pic of some lads carrying one of the victims off the pitch, our Stuart did tell me he did the same thing and one of the lads in the pic looks uncannily like him - won't mention it of course; he still won't talk about it after all these years. He didn't have counselling but I'm not sure it would have done any good, there are people who have been traumatised that have the experience locked away somewhere inaccessible and would like to keep it that way, nevertheless time does go someway in healing Debs.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #234: Apr 06, 2016 02:10:22 pm
      The jury have retired.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #235: Apr 06, 2016 02:40:13 pm
      It will as you say Debs be a lengthy process in putting together the thousands of statements and the actual evidence from the UK's longest running inquest on record. Wouldn't be surprised if the jury is out for weeks.

Funny you should mention me lad, I was looking on the Hillsborough section in the Echo and there was a disturbing pic of some lads carrying one of the victims off the pitch, our Stuart did tell me he did the same thing and one of the lads in the pic looks uncannily like him - won't mention it of course; he still won't talk about it after all these years. He didn't have counselling but I'm not sure it would have done any good, there are people who have been traumatised that have the experience locked away somewhere inaccessible and would like to keep it that way, nevertheless time does go someway in healing Debs.

I know only too well mate.  I upset one of my clients to tears last week talking about it and not realising she taught one of the 14 year olds that died.  She apologised for getting so upset but explained she had to give up teaching because of the grief.  She was surprised that it was 27 years ago, so I'm guessing she'd pushed it as far from memory as possible.

It must be so tough for you knowing what he went through but being helpless to help him deal with what he witnessed.  Christ I wasn't even there, just watching on tv but I remember it vividly, clinging onto my kids so they wouldn't see it, the anger rising that nothing was being done to help get them out when it was so obvious they were in distress.  Then the disbelief at what was being said afterwards as though they were describing a totally different scenario and then more anger realising why they were doing it.

I moved to Sheffield a couple of years later and I've been to Hillsborough quite a few times with the kids, always in the Kop because I've still not been able to face going down Leppings Lane. 

I hope your lad can perhaps open up about it after the verdicts come in mate but it's probably a vain hope, as you say some just want to keep it hidden and locked away in the memory bank.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #236: Apr 06, 2016 05:47:45 pm
      I know only too well mate.  I upset one of my clients to tears last week talking about it and not realising she taught one of the 14 year olds that died.  She apologised for getting so upset but explained she had to give up teaching because of the grief.  She was surprised that it was 27 years ago, so I'm guessing she'd pushed it as far from memory as possible.

It must be so tough for you knowing what he went through but being helpless to help him deal with what he witnessed.  Christ I wasn't even there, just watching on tv but I remember it vividly, clinging onto my kids so they wouldn't see it, the anger rising that nothing was being done to help get them out when it was so obvious they were in distress.  Then the disbelief at what was being said afterwards as though they were describing a totally different scenario and then more anger realising why they were doing it.

I moved to Sheffield a couple of years later and I've been to Hillsborough quite a few times with the kids, always in the Kop because I've still not been able to face going down Leppings Lane. 

I hope your lad can perhaps open up about it after the verdicts come in mate but it's probably a vain hope, as you say some just want to keep it hidden and locked away in the memory bank.

The lady you speak of mate although not directly involved in the tragedy recalls the emotion of 27 years ago like it were yesterday - her experience of it as fresh and biting as it ever was and bringing about the same tearful reaction.
      For that very reason the second inquest is nearing a verdict, the manifest injustice we saw in the first ''inquest'', establishment concocted, could not withstand the struggle and tireless conviction of the families of the 96, Liverpool and it's people and every right minded person in the world.

Let justice prevail.

YNWA.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #237: Apr 06, 2016 07:30:13 pm
      Maximum Respect Stu for all the work you have put in each week with the updates for us to follow.

Lets hope the jury will return the verdicts we all want and the relatives need.

JUSTICE FOR THE 96

YNWA
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #238: Apr 08, 2016 12:49:01 pm
      14 astonishingly simple questions the jury have on a questionnaire they have to complete to assist them in arriving at a verdict.   

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/questions-hillsborough-jury-answer-10787260
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Hillsborough inquest verdict due
      Reply #239: Apr 20, 2016 05:26:28 pm
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #240: Apr 26, 2016 09:26:54 pm
      Finally.

Justice For The 96.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #241: Apr 27, 2016 12:05:55 am
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #242: Apr 27, 2016 12:13:56 am
      Let the deads of the families of the 96 be a beacon for all people around the world who have been trounced and trampled upon by the might of a dictatorial state.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #243: Apr 27, 2016 11:19:08 am
      Nobody will be sad to see the back of this topic, the unrestrained relief of the families outside the court make this particular topic's closing a reward to us all.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #244: Apr 27, 2016 11:32:32 am
      Got these pics last night at St George's Hall. Looked fantastic and how must those families feel today? Relief, grief, anger. Just every emotion.

https://twitter.com/MrPrice1979/status/725267245287485440
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #245: Apr 27, 2016 11:37:21 am
      Got these pics last night at St George's Hall. Looked fantastic and how must those families feel today? Relief, grief, anger. Just every emotion.

https://twitter.com/MrPrice1979/status/725267245287485440

Nice one Mr Price.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #246: Apr 27, 2016 12:20:32 pm

We need another memorial with all those questions and answers on it make it 20 foot tall so all the world can see it
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #247: Apr 27, 2016 12:22:32 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #248: Apr 27, 2016 12:37:04 pm
      Hmm

Hillsborough disaster: Kelvin MacKenzie apologises for ‘hurt’ caused by The Sun’s 1989 front page

The headline 'The Truth' carried the accusations Liverpool fans pickpocketed victims and assaulted police officers
      Olivia Blair |
      @livblair |
      1 hour  ago|

The former editor of The Sun Kelvin MacKenzie has apologised for the “hurt” he caused when the newspaper ran a headline which accused Liverpool fans of being drunk and abusive during the tragedy.

Four days after the disaster at the Hillsborough football stadium in Sheffield in April 1989, The Sun ran the headline “The Truth” which accused Liverpool fans of being drunk, pickpocketing victims, urinating on “brave” police and assaulting police officers. Following the headline The Sun was boycotted in Merseyside and many Liverpudlian newsagents refuse to sell it today. In yesterday’s Liverpool Echo coverage online they do not mention the paper fully, putting an asterisk in the middle of its name.

MacKenzie was editor of the paper at the time and later admitted it was his “decision alone” to run with the front page of which he said the story came from a Sheffield news agency and cited sources including a senior police officer as well as a Conservative MP. It has been claimed fellow journalists warned him against the front page.

Responding to the decision by a long-running inquiry which found on Tuesday that all 96 victims of the disaster were “unlawfully killed” and Liverpool fans were not to blame for the crush, MacKenzie issued a statement apologising.

“Today’s verdicts are an important step in obtaining justice for the victims. My heart goes out to those who have waited so long for vindication,” he said.

“As I have said before, the headline I published was wrong and I am profoundly sorry for the hurt caused. Clearly, I was wrong to take the police’s version of events at face value and it is a mistake I deeply regret.”

MacKenzie, who still writes for the paper, also told ITV news he “absolutely” agreed with the jury’s verdict. “It’s been an absolute disgrace what the police have done in south Yorkshire this last 27 years, I feel desperate for the families and the people and I also feel that in some strange way I got caught up in it […] everybody got sent this agency story, I printed it in that way but honestly the way it affected those families was a disgrace, I’m delighted for those families.”

The paper apologised for its reporting of the disaster in 2004 and again in 2012 after the Hillsborough report was released. MacKenzie wrote: “It would have been far more accurate had I written the headline ‘The Lies’ rather than ‘The Truth’.” An editorial in the paper called the 1989 report “the blackest day in this newspaper’s history”.

MacKenzie was also doorstopped by Channel 4 news in 2012 where he refused to make any further comment on camera saying he’d “already explained how sorry I am”.

The findings of yesterday’s ruling are notably absent from The Sun’s from page today. The Times, who are also owned by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp group also failed to put the findings on the front page of its first edition.

Additional reporting by the Press Association.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/hillsborough-disaster-kelvin-mackenzie-apologises-for-hurt-caused-by-the-sun-s-1989-front-page-a7003031.html

https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/725282445289918464
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #249: Apr 27, 2016 12:48:45 pm
      Hmm

Hillsborough disaster: Kelvin MacKenzie apologises for ‘hurt’ caused by The Sun’s 1989 front page

The headline 'The Truth' carried the accusations Liverpool fans pickpocketed victims and assaulted police officers
      Olivia Blair |
      @livblair |
      1 hour  ago|

The former editor of The Sun Kelvin MacKenzie has apologised for the “hurt” he caused when the newspaper ran a headline which accused Liverpool fans of being drunk and abusive during the tragedy.

Four days after the disaster at the Hillsborough football stadium in Sheffield in April 1989, The Sun ran the headline “The Truth” which accused Liverpool fans of being drunk, pickpocketing victims, urinating on “brave” police and assaulting police officers. Following the headline The Sun was boycotted in Merseyside and many Liverpudlian newsagents refuse to sell it today. In yesterday’s Liverpool Echo coverage online they do not mention the paper fully, putting an asterisk in the middle of its name.

MacKenzie was editor of the paper at the time and later admitted it was his “decision alone” to run with the front page of which he said the story came from a Sheffield news agency and cited sources including a senior police officer as well as a Conservative MP. It has been claimed fellow journalists warned him against the front page.

Responding to the decision by a long-running inquiry which found on Tuesday that all 96 victims of the disaster were “unlawfully killed” and Liverpool fans were not to blame for the crush, MacKenzie issued a statement apologising.

“Today’s verdicts are an important step in obtaining justice for the victims. My heart goes out to those who have waited so long for vindication,” he said.

“As I have said before, the headline I published was wrong and I am profoundly sorry for the hurt caused. Clearly, I was wrong to take the police’s version of events at face value and it is a mistake I deeply regret.”

MacKenzie, who still writes for the paper, also told ITV news he “absolutely” agreed with the jury’s verdict. “It’s been an absolute disgrace what the police have done in south Yorkshire this last 27 years, I feel desperate for the families and the people and I also feel that in some strange way I got caught up in it […] everybody got sent this agency story, I printed it in that way but honestly the way it affected those families was a disgrace, I’m delighted for those families.”

The paper apologised for its reporting of the disaster in 2004 and again in 2012 after the Hillsborough report was released. MacKenzie wrote: “It would have been far more accurate had I written the headline ‘The Lies’ rather than ‘The Truth’.” An editorial in the paper called the 1989 report “the blackest day in this newspaper’s history”.

MacKenzie was also doorstopped by Channel 4 news in 2012 where he refused to make any further comment on camera saying he’d “already explained how sorry I am”.

The findings of yesterday’s ruling are notably absent from The Sun’s from page today. The Times, who are also owned by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp group also failed to put the findings on the front page of its first edition.

Additional reporting by the Press Association.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/hillsborough-disaster-kelvin-mackenzie-apologises-for-hurt-caused-by-the-sun-s-1989-front-page-a7003031.html

https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/725282445289918464

F**k him and F**k Murdoch, 27 years too late you pair of cu*ts.
      That rag will always be taboo in Liverpool.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #250: Apr 27, 2016 12:59:11 pm
      F**k him and f**k Murdoch, 27 years too late you pair of cu*ts.

Not half Stuey lad.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #251: Apr 27, 2016 02:28:21 pm
      F**k him and f**k Murdoch, 27 years too late you pair of cu*ts.

don't worry mate there is a special place in hell waiting for him and hopefully the wait will not be too long.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #252: Apr 27, 2016 02:48:44 pm
      F**k McKenzie, F**k Murdock and F**k the authorities who continued to lie right through the Inquests in a vein hope they wouldn't be held responsible  :mad:

Quick Reply