Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Are we over-achieving?

Read 5090 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Are we over-achieving?
      Reply #23: Apr 09, 2014 06:23:23 pm
      As others have said, we haven't achieved anything yet. And anyway, Liverpool Football Club belongs at the top so if we were to win the league then it's not overachieving, it's meeting expectations.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #24: Apr 09, 2014 06:29:53 pm
      As others have said, we haven't achieved anything yet. And anyway, Liverpool Football Club belongs at the top so if we were to win the league then it's not overachieving, it's meeting expectations.

amen! 

can't wait to sunday!!!!
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,173 posts | 524 
      Reply #25: Apr 09, 2014 06:42:19 pm
      How can you overachieve when you haven't achieved anything yet.

Lets just enjoy this season and see what it brings, we can start thinking about next season when the times right.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #26: Apr 09, 2014 08:06:32 pm
      Over achieving/under achieving, who  will  give a F**k when we win the league. Regarding next season we have got all summer to contemplate where we are going. We have waited a long time to be in the position we are in so I for one am going to enjoy every single minute and watch our REDS win this E.P.L. :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #27: Apr 09, 2014 08:22:18 pm
      On a serious note I think you can "over-achieve" for a period but ultimately when you achieve (by actually winning something) then  that's an absolute term.

Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #28: Apr 09, 2014 10:02:29 pm
      No, we are Liverpool, our aim every season is to be the best, so no, we are not over achieving, but yes previously, we have underachieved!
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #29: Apr 10, 2014 05:22:43 am
      Lets just say that our players are playing better than what most would have predicted. This could mean that their potential has been underestimated across the board. This could mean that all our players are having a purple patch right now. This could mean this year we've been lucky. This could just mean last year we were unlucky (there is actually a wealth of stats to back up this hypothesis - I don't know if any of you guys read Michael Caley's stuff, but he has a lot of interesting insight on the matter - http://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/2014/4/5/5582432/the-statistics-that-explain-liverpools-2013-2014-season).

Regardless of what the fact of the matter is, we are performing excellently now and without being Nostrodamus we won't know if this is over-achieving, or just performing better than expected, as it is the future data which will be relevant in determining this matter.

That article was a good read.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #30: Apr 10, 2014 06:06:48 am
      I understand your concerns about next season. I've thought the same. As much as this season so far has been incredible and we're 5 wins from one of the greatest and the players are 5 wins from immortality I have found myself asking the same thing,is this a one off or is it back to how it used to be with us challenging every season. I hope BR is given the the funds necessary to improve the squad as he sees fit as no doubt citeh and chavski will buy,wither they actually strengthen or buy for the sake of it is a different question. I've only mentioned them as I don't see Arsenal suddenly starting to spend millions unless they fail to make the CL and Wenger goes,don't see spuds spending anywhere near they did last summer and who cares what the scum do they could spend £200m but still have the football genius in charge so that makes them void. So with all that going on around us in my heart I don't think we are overachieving I think its a case that many of us,myself included as I'm only 25 have never seen us in such a position before and there is worry to go along with the excitement over the fact that look's like we're finally back where we belong.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #31: Apr 10, 2014 12:06:18 pm
      Brendan's achieved a few things since he arrived..
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #32: Apr 10, 2014 01:11:04 pm
      Context.

With regards to League position, no we are not. We have a ridiculously good man manager and tactician in Brendan. He's not afraid to make changes, drop players, switch it about and even rotate halfway through a game. He is keeping the players heads on and isn't encouraging title talk.

We are also blitzing anyone we come up against with a new style of attacking football. One that utilises pace, pressing, fast passing and clinical finishing. We are where we are purely on merit. We deserve to be there.

As many have said before me - how can we over-achieve if we haven't yet won anything? Always seems to be the newbies that are negative...
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby
      • Started Topic

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #33: Apr 10, 2014 01:36:18 pm
      Context.

With regards to League position, no we are not. We have a ridiculously good man manager and tactician in Brendan. He's not afraid to make changes, drop players, switch it about and even rotate halfway through a game. He is keeping the players heads on and isn't encouraging title talk.

We are also blitzing anyone we come up against with a new style of attacking football. One that utilises pace, pressing, fast passing and clinical finishing. We are where we are purely on merit. We deserve to be there.

As many have said before me - how can we over-achieve if we haven't yet won anything? Always seems to be the newbies that are negative...

Newbie... Negative...

I am loving what's going on at the moment, riding the the red crest! I can barely remember the last title we won and I'd give anything to see us win the league again! However expressing a slight concern for the future isn't what I'd class as being negative far from it.

As for not achieving anything yet, maybe not in silverware but as far as I'm concerned being in the position we find ourselves in IS an achievement in its self and every game we get closer is an achievement! These are players that lack the mentality/experience of winning titles consistently so Brendon and his staff are doing an amazing job, the players are proving everyone wrong, they are on the verge of doing something that hasn't been done for decades!

Quick Reply