Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your LFC Man of the Match?

Mignolet
      (0.9%)
      Johnson
      (0%)
      Skrtel
      (6.4%)
      Sakho
      (0%)
      Flanagan
      (1.7%)
      Henderson
      (0.4%)
      Coutinho
      (32.6%)
      Sterling
      (31.8%)
      Gerrard
      (12.4%)
      Suarez
      (0%)
      Sturridge
      (0.9%)
      Joe Allen
      (0%)
      The Fans
      (12.9%)

Liverpool 3-2 Man City: In-game & post-match hyperventilation

Read 51227 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Liverpool 3-2 Man City: In-game & post-match hyperventilation
      Reply #851: Apr 14, 2014 03:17:57 am
      I've had to wait close to 12 hours to post on here because I've been all kinds of crazy today with excitement. And I still don't think I can post something coherent! ;D

We were great in the first half and deserved 2-0 lead. Everything we've done well this season, we did in the first, especially coming out firing and getting an early goal -- a brilliant one! -- from Sterling.

The match had the feel that City were definitely going to be going for it and I don't think it was terribly surprising when they equalized and nearly took the lead. The problem for us was twofold: We started dropping off a bit and we stopped defending as a unit, especially in midfield where we started getting overrun. When you stop defending as a unit, a team with City's quality is going to pick you apart every time.

And yet, I never felt nervous during this match when it was 2-2. Then Coutinho scored, at which point I screamed into one of the pillows on the couch haha Once we had the 3-2 lead, however, I was a basket case. That may have been the longest 13 + 5 minutes of my life!

I've read a few tweets and stuff saying Mark Clattenburg had a great game refereeing. I thought he blew a number of calls -- Suarez's dive/second yellow, Kompany molesting Suarez, Flanagan on Silva. But I suppose he deserves credit for not allowing the title to be decided on what would have been some pretty soft calls. Maybe it's just me thinking that.

We played like champions today. The strength, the desire, and most importantly, the resilience. My God was our mentality fantastic.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #852: Apr 14, 2014 03:41:51 am
      Over the moon we have won this match. A blue moon...;D
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #853: Apr 14, 2014 03:59:11 am
      Was driving back from holiday  and nearly banged the car into the one in front of me twice.

Once out of excitement after Sterling's goal
      Then out of frustration on going 2-2.

Reached the bar just in time for Coutinho's goal and the whole bar went mental in celebration.

Last 10minutes was very nervy, but a great great result.

Bring on Norwich next!
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #854: Apr 14, 2014 04:00:13 am
      We played like champions today. The strength, the desire, and most importantly, the resilience. My God was our mentality fantastic.

Agree with this. A week or so ago Carra said on Monday night football that something will happen,we'll have to come from behind,find ourselves a man down or we'll have to dig deep for a winner to prove ourselves as genuine title contenders and I don't know about anyone else but I think Coutinhos goal was that moment. BR and the team deserve every bit of credit to come their way. That passion and emotion from Stevie at the end says it all. Like I said the other day,it's went from something to aim for in a few seasons to a dream to a slight possiblity being talked about quietly to something that could happen but outwith our control to something in our own hands and now it's ours to lose.

34 down 4 to go. We can do this. 
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #855: Apr 14, 2014 06:53:55 am
      So hungover in work today but it was worth it. What a result and performance. First half we where immense.

Any update on sturridge injury? Also one other negative was suarez yesterday he frustrated the life out of me he could not keep the ball and the diving was so annoying.  Also hendos red card is a major blow.
       Anyway top of the pile what more can a red ask for
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #856: Apr 14, 2014 07:45:13 am
      I joined LFC Reds a few months ago and have not contributed much in postings. Tonight I have read all through the day's postings and would like to congratulate everyone on their respect (by and large!) for each other's opinions, unlike some websites.
      Like so many of you, I was absolutely stunned by what I saw today, albeit on the telly and 200 miles away. I followed the job to That London 25 years ago and the tributes to the 96 were amazing. I cannot comprehend where those years have gone and why we are only now getting close to justice for those fans and their families. I had to work that day and spent a frantic couple of hours, interspersed with seeing and hearing what was going on there, watching people trapped and crushed, trying to get hold of my brother. This was in the days before mobiles and I knew he had been confident of getting a ticket. Thank God he hadn't. Thank God that is as bad as it got for me personally that day and I feel guilty for saying it. Now for my other guilty secret about 1989: I was bloody angered we did not win the league that year for the 96. I was angry the players let Arsenal into our front room and let them steal our silver.
      So now today: That result and Stevie's words in the huddle were the best tribute to those dead fans, the best.
      The LFC Reds fans are superb, the type of fans I used to love being among (and still do on the rare occasion I get to a game now). Oh hell this is just rambling. What a day, what a team, what a club and what supporters.

Simply -A great post

YNWA
      sabrina
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 95 posts |
      Reply #857: Apr 14, 2014 09:04:34 am
      I joined this forum years ago, as an excitable teenage girl, not even old enough to meet the age requirements to post at the time and used to read it religiously, eager to share in the opinions of other reds around the world. Gradually I visited the page less and less, but today I just knew I had to return! I'm so proud of the team, I can hardly believe where we are, our players look like they want it more than anyone else does, for stevie and for themselves! In the first half we were outstanding and the grit we showed to get back to 3-2 is why we deserve to be champions
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,179 posts | 528 
      Reply #858: Apr 14, 2014 09:17:15 am
      Wow, fcuking wow get in the mighty Redmen.
      What a game and what a result. First half we were magnificent, don't think anyone would have lived with us. Pressing and harassing when we didn't have the ball. Second half, we dropped off a bit, and nearly payed the price.

Coutts man of the match for me, but everyone played fantastic. Gutted for Hendo, but it was a rash tackle.
      In a bazaar way, Hendo missing, I can see Allen stepping up to the plate and doing something in a game that gives us a result, its been that kind of a season.

Keep dreaming fellow Reds, we are nearly there................... .
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #859: Apr 14, 2014 09:20:07 am
      How do you split Raheem and Phillipe?

I've watched the match twice since. They were both terrific. Those two, Gerrard and Skrtel were just immense.

How many times have the original SaS been probably our worst performers in a match (along with Johnson)? A damn fine TEAM performance. Three goals against the so called best team in the league and our strikers scored none.

Thought the game probably should of been a draw. We dominated the first, they dominated the second. Thought Milner changed the game (surprised he didn't start. I said in the pre match thread I thought he would play from the beginning) and Silva got too much respect but we clawed it back. One chance, one goal. And that was it.

I do hope Suarez is back to his 2013-14 self next time. I was livid with his acting all game. He should of gone off for the dive in the second.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #860: Apr 14, 2014 09:56:40 am
      what did the scummy c**ts do mate?

Similar to the other manc forum sh*te Brian, disgusting comments about the disaster supposed to be seen as a wind up. Their mentality is so fu**ed up the only team they should support is Facebook Wanderers.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #861: Apr 14, 2014 10:13:38 am
      I joined LFC Reds a few months ago and have not contributed much in postings. Tonight I have read all through the day's postings and would like to congratulate everyone on their respect (by and large!) for each other's opinions, unlike some websites.
      Like so many of you, I was absolutely stunned by what I saw today, albeit on the telly and 200 miles away. I followed the job to That London 25 years ago and the tributes to the 96 were amazing. I cannot comprehend where those years have gone and why we are only now getting close to justice for those fans and their families. I had to work that day and spent a frantic couple of hours, interspersed with seeing and hearing what was going on there, watching people trapped and crushed, trying to get hold of my brother. This was in the days before mobiles and I knew he had been confident of getting a ticket. Thank God he hadn't. Thank God that is as bad as it got for me personally that day and I feel guilty for saying it. Now for my other guilty secret about 1989: I was bloody angered we did not win the league that year for the 96. I was angry the players let Arsenal into our front room and let them steal our silver.
      So now today: That result and Stevie's words in the huddle were the best tribute to those dead fans, the best.
      The LFC Reds fans are superb, the type of fans I used to love being among (and still do on the rare occasion I get to a game now). Oh hell this is just rambling. What a day, what a team, what a club and what supporters.

I joined this forum years ago, as an excitable teenage girl, not even old enough to meet the age requirements to post at the time and used to read it religiously, eager to share in the opinions of other reds around the world. Gradually I visited the page less and less, but today I just knew I had to return! I'm so proud of the team, I can hardly believe where we are, our players look like they want it more than anyone else does, for stevie and for themselves! In the first half we were outstanding and the grit we showed to get back to 3-2 is why we deserve to be champions

Stick around and join in the end of season celebrations - title or no title.

Great posts from both of you. We're just one big family.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #862: Apr 14, 2014 10:43:33 am
      I should praise the KOP and the other sections. I cant count the number of matches I have watched on tv. But today when they sang the chorus during YNWA I choked up. I dont have words for it.

It was just epic and I will never forget it.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #863: Apr 14, 2014 10:44:28 am
      How do you split Raheem and Phillipe?

I've watched the match twice since. They were both terrific. Those two, Gerrard and Skrtel were just immense.

How many times have the original SaS been probably our worst performers in a match (along with Johnson)? A damn fine TEAM performance. Three goals against the so called best team in the league and our strikers scored none.

Thought the game probably should of been a draw. We dominated the first, they dominated the second. Thought Milner changed the game (surprised he didn't start. I said in the pre match thread I thought he would play from the beginning) and Silva got too much respect but we clawed it back. One chance, one goal. And that was it.

I do hope Suarez is back to his 2013-14 self next time. I was livid with his acting all game. He should of gone off for the dive in the second.
      There was contact mate, watched it on MOTD and they all agree it wasn't a dive. I'd call it a dramatic fall but not a dive.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #864: Apr 14, 2014 11:02:14 am
      Fukin Awesome !

That's all.

YNWA
      Paddock Partisan
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #865: Apr 14, 2014 11:07:11 am
      This is what we pay our money for, the electric atmosphere intensified by the timing of the match and the spirit of the fans, and the players well....... They didn't disappoint, it doesn't matter whether it was little Phil or Sterling, what matters is that undeniable sense of comradery in the face of adversity and notably one of the best visiting sides to come to Anfield in years.

This is history, past,  present and future recapitulated in Gerrards unwavering sense of belief and hope, never have words been more pertinent.... "We are Liverpool" 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #866: Apr 14, 2014 12:20:01 pm
      Just rewatched the match, it's amazing how much you forget/miss first time round  ;D

Great build up, great atmosphere, great game and most importantly 3 points  ;)

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #867: Apr 14, 2014 12:25:23 pm
      I have never seen Stevie so animated it was fantastic to see. I went for the Supporters as MOTM they really brought Anfield alive again and got behind the team when they needed it.
      We have to expect a few twists between now and the end of the season but like others have said I will not show any disappointment even if we do not win it because the club has been reborn during these last 10 games YNWA
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #868: Apr 14, 2014 12:28:26 pm
      Proud of the lads yesterday, they played their football, they set about City like they would anyone else, they fought when City got back into it and didn't wilt at losing the two goal lead like many sides might, they regained their composure and found a way to win such an important game on such an emotional day for the City..

In terms of the game I felt we were fantastic for the first 35 minutes, we battled hard towards the back end of the first half when they pushed is back and defended for their lives, the Johnson off the line and Mignolet save from Fernandino were massive at the point of the game.

Second half I think we wanted to try to take the sting from them but retreated too deep for 15-20 minutes handing them the initiative and with the players they have they are always going to have strong spells in any game, I thought Nasri and especially Silva were fantastic for them in that period and the way they picked space and moved us around was breathtaking, Milner was also superb in that spell.
      But we rode it and found a way to win, the finish from little Phil was out of this world no matter of the slice from Kompany.

I have to say something about the captain, he is simply wonderful, the way he is dragging them along, the way he is visibly leading that squad is awe inspiring, the emotion of the day and the way he is dragging us towards this title is fantastic, I can't speak higher of him, I really hope we do it for him but I say without a moments hesitation he wants to do it for us too.. The man is a leader and he deserves this.

I'm actually struggling to get out what I mean, I feel so proud but so nervous right now, I'm literally struggling to think of anything else than these final few games.

Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #869: Apr 14, 2014 12:29:03 pm
      Watched the 5 minutes extra time  from behind the settee through my fingers, Stevie was not joking when he said the clock was going backward the releif at the final whistle had whooping about like a kid.
      A great win ,a jaw dropping kick in the nads at 2-2 I thought the goals we lost were bizarre ,then Phil who was my MOTM put us infront again all in all a very draining day .
      Told my Boss dont expect me in on the next few Mondays
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #870: Apr 14, 2014 12:37:17 pm
      Hell of a win and performance, Coutinho and Sterling were absolutely incredible yesterday. 4 games to go now and I'm just praying we can see these off, my nerves are shredded going into games these days.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1545 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #871: Apr 14, 2014 12:58:45 pm
      At the risk of being a killjoy, I just watched the match again, and thought Johnson was truly terrible. Horrid performance from him. Must do much better
      LFCexiled
      Reply #872: Apr 14, 2014 01:04:09 pm
      So hungover today my eyelashes hurt, worth it though.

I was thinking about Stevie today and one instance that typified him yesterday, I can't remember what point in the match it was but a city player was coming down the right towards our box and Stevie sprinted from the centre circle all the way to the edge of our box, slid and knocked it out, in my head all I could say was wow, I'm in awe of the man.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #873: Apr 14, 2014 01:14:01 pm
      At the risk of being a killjoy, I just watched the match again, and thought Johnson was truly terrible. Horrid performance from him. Must do much better

Not alone.

There was contact mate, watched it on MOTD and they all agree it wasn't a dive. I'd call it a dramatic fall but not a dive.

To me it's still a dive. He was in space in the City box and fell down for no reason.

Just like Dzeko diving over Sakho. Contact was there but still a dive.

Quick Reply