Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

ESPN Hillsborough Doc

Read 5962 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      ESPN Hillsborough Doc
      Apr 16, 2014 06:28:27 am
      I just watched the ESPN 30 For 30 on Hillsborough.  It was an amazing piece of film and is one of the best historical documentaries I have ever seen.

My Mother was here and watched it with me and she just wept and to be honest I actually got choked up. After the match on Sunday and the crowd singing YNWA then this film showing the victims laying on the terrace, it was just too much.

I was particularly saddened by Margaret Aspinall.  To lose her son James like that and to be broken down by the injustice of it all and forced to continue suffering is so sad. My heart breaks for her. I dont know what too say.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: ESPN Hillsborough Doc
      Reply #1: Apr 16, 2014 06:56:49 am
      Been reading a lot of positive reviews of that documentary. I'll have to try and get hold of it.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #2: Apr 16, 2014 07:01:17 am
      ^^

If anyone gets a link drop it in here please :)
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #3: Apr 16, 2014 07:27:04 am
      ^^

If anyone gets a link drop it in here please :)

You won't find a legal stream of it in the UK for up to a year due to the ongoing inquest.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4897 
      Reply #4: Apr 16, 2014 09:00:09 am
      You won't find a legal stream of it in the UK for up to a year due to the ongoing inquest.

Was thinking this Rep.

CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #5: Apr 16, 2014 12:58:07 pm
      Well, I have it on DVR.  Anyone know how I can maybe transfer it to a computer and tinker with it?
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #6: Apr 16, 2014 01:42:53 pm
      It was a very good piece.  I had read a decent amount about Hillsborough on my own, but the documentary did a great job of showing just how negligent the policing officials were on the day of the game, the extent of the lies and attempted cover up, and the ongoing suffering and struggle of the families to get justice for the 96.  It was very hard to watch at times, as anyone with any compassion would be torn up hearing some of the testimonies.  However, it was very well put together and I agree with Yank_LFC_Fan that it was indeed one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #7: Apr 16, 2014 02:47:21 pm
      Watched it as well. Having done lots of reading on Hillsborough since becoming an LFC supporter and following all the news and these boards etc., I personally didn't think there was a huge deal of new information in it for me to learn. But, it was a great introductory for people not that familiar with the tragedy and good exposure of the events for Americans who might not understand why it's such a big deal.

They did a really great job exposing how inept Duckenfield was and the massive policing issues. One thing I did learn was the control box being right next to the Leppings Lane end. Really exposes how awful the SYP were. I never realized you could see the entire end from the box. That's criminal. As was the number of statements changed to exonerate the SYP of any wrongdoing. Talking to aggrieved SYP officers whose statements were changed added a nice perspective to the documentary, especially the officers pointing out the hysterical voices and officers swearing over the radio.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I felt the documentary could have spent a little bit more time on the 3:15 p.m. cutoff by the coroner. One of the biggest tragedies of Hillsborough is that 40+ lives could have been saved. The story of 15-year-old Kevin Williams practically deserves its own documentary, as does the story of 95 other families, but I really thought they missed a truly heartbreaking story by not going into more detail there.

That said, there is just so much to Hillsborough that trying to get it all into a 2 hour documentary is very difficult. It boggles the mind the blood alcohol levels of the victims -- including children FFS! -- were printed. The documentary did a really great job at both making you cry and making you infuriated at the officials.

Seeing the CCTV footage of the crush ongoing outside the stadium and the footage of the agony of the people being crushed in the central pens was devastating.

Overall, the documentary was excellent and I hope people in the UK get the chance to see it.
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #8: Apr 16, 2014 03:36:11 pm
      I bawled like a baby and then felt like punching something.  I don't know what else to say really.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9: Apr 16, 2014 03:44:44 pm
      I have a link for it
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #10: Apr 16, 2014 05:59:59 pm
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11: Apr 16, 2014 06:08:29 pm

Well what?

There is no way I'm posting a link on an open forum when it could be viewed as prejudicial to the current proceedings.

Anyone who wants the link can PM me.
      I'm not going to discuss the video or anything about it on an open forum, and I suggest others follow suit.

Just to add, the link I had has been taken down.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #12: Apr 16, 2014 06:10:55 pm
      Thought it was very well done, and like Mozzie said, it's not inclusive of everything that could be covered, but with the 2 hours that they had, I think it would be a good primer so to speak to give someone that didn't know anything about Hillsborough a starting point for learning about what happened.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #13: Apr 16, 2014 06:12:06 pm
      Well what?

There is no way I'm posting a link on an open forum when it could be viewed as prejudicial to the current proceedings.

Anyone who wants the link can PM me.
      I'm not going to discuss the video or anything about it on an open forum, and I suggest others follow suit.

Just to add, the link I had has been taken down.

Forgive my ignorance but why couldn't (shouldn't) you discuss the video?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14: Apr 16, 2014 06:14:30 pm
      Forgive my ignorance but why couldn't (shouldn't) you discuss the video?

There's stuff in it which could be viewed as prejudicial to the Inquest mate.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #15: Apr 16, 2014 06:16:30 pm
      There's stuff in it which could be viewed as prejudicial to the Inquest mate.

So there are free speech limitations in the UK where the public can't publically discuss something because of an ongoing inquest?

That seems odd.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16: Apr 16, 2014 06:20:19 pm
      So there are free speech limitations in the UK where the public can't publically discuss something because of an ongoing inquest?

That seems odd.

No, there are no free speech limitations.

The term prejudicial doesn't refer to freedom of speech, it refers to prejudicing the jury in the case, and to that end, the mods here advised people to be careful about what they posted.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #17: Apr 16, 2014 06:26:38 pm

The term prejudicial doesn't refer to freedom of speech, it refers to prejudicing the jury in the case, and to that end, the mods here advised people to be careful about what they posted.

Well I had no idea about this Swab, thanks for clearing it up.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #18: Apr 16, 2014 06:36:36 pm

Can't imagine how the jury wouldn't be able to be prejudiced already at this point.

Similar to when there's a high profile criminal case here in the states...with the way the media works, it's almost impossible to find someone that hasn't heard about the details and already formed an opinion.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #19: Apr 16, 2014 06:57:25 pm
      Topic locked, sorry.

As the information show in this TV programme may, as Swab has said may be seen as prejudicial to the current hearing. It may not, I don't know as I have not seen it.

But to be on the safe side, and to stop any members posting something that may be prejudicial I feel it is best to call a halt.

As I have said sorry, but we in the UK will just have to wait, like so many others have had to.

Quick Reply