Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0%)
      Jon Flanagan
      (0.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (8%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      (0%)
      Joe Allen
      (3.4%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (0.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (0%)
      Raheem Sterling
      (84.5%)
      Luis Suarez
      (1.7%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      (1.1%)
      Victor Moses
      (0%)
      Daniel Agger
      (0%)

Norwich 2-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delirium

Read 33765 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Norwich 2-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delirium
      Reply #621: Apr 20, 2014 03:42:57 pm
      I think Allen had a good game today especially the first half and he certainly gave us like-for-like style while Henderson was out. The way the second half started and the "momentum" Norwich built up and had meant that ultimately 2 out of our 3 CM dropped too deep. Rodgers at one point (I'm sure) pointed two fingers up to instruct Lucas and Gerrard to sit. Risky game that. The two don't play well together. Gerrard is the sitter but Lucas couldn't provide the Allen factor on his side of the pitch - he looked as though he was running through treacle and gave away more of those 'silly' fouls he tends to award the opposition with. With this in mind, Rodgers has no opportunity other than to make Lucas a sitter alongside Gerrard. It's been a while since I've seen us concede that much territory to a relegation threatened team. Allen too, as part of the three central midfielders has to drop off to keep shape and density (his game has thus become restricted, contrast to the first half) and by this time Rodgers's options were limited so he really can only make defensive substitutions to reinforce the team's mindset that it has been forced to take on - bring on Agger. On top of that we had a RB who looked half @rsed and a keeper who looked more frightened of crosses than Dracula himself and Sahko who wasn't at his best.

It's good to see this time grind out results and defend (a bit) but it's not our game and it was like the games earlier on in the season where we won those 1-0 fixtures by defending deep. Since then, we have taken our games to another stratosphere and attack has been our best form of defense. And our midfield and the form of those players has been integral to the way this style has panned out but my God 1 key midfielder out, a not so able replacement and a couple of iffy performances from other team members and we look quite different. Credit to Norwich, they pressed us like Southampton did at Anfield earlier on in the season and worked themselves to the bone to pressure us and as we retreated, they, like Citeh last week sniffed our mindset and obliged by taking over territorial advantage.

I will say, as I said before the game today, I hope Coutinho drops back into that midfield with Allen to give the midfield the impetus, creativity, running and tenacity to put Chelsea on the back foot next week. I couldn't care who's picked to partner Sterling & Suarez upfront I just know we need to have the midfield sorted so that it is set-up to take on and boss the match against Chelsea next week.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #622: Apr 20, 2014 03:52:35 pm
      Mig 6 (first time today I though we need a new keeper)
      Johnson 3 (had it with him, liablilty, will cost us before long)
      Skrtel 8 (MotM - immense)
      Sakho 7 (solid, if not electrifying)
      Flano 7 (solid)

Lucas 7 (solid, seemed to be everywhere - which was quite disconcerting on times)
      Gerrard 7 (solid, more defensive, worked hard)
      Allen 7 (8 out of 10 first half, very impressed, less of an impact second half)

Couts 6 (missing again away from home)
      Suarez 7 (needs to stop losing possession, needs to link up a bit better, still a handful of trouble for opponents)
      Sterling 8 (brilliant, almost my motm, this guy could be a true legend)

Even Moses played one of his better games (7)

But please please please stop switching off if/when you score a brace
      fotisl7
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #623: Apr 20, 2014 03:52:56 pm
      Well done Reds! I'd like to see more possession football and better tempo management, especially when they were up by 2, but the win is all that matters! 3 more to go...or just 7 points!
      Greetings from Athens, Greece and #makeusdream

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #624: Apr 20, 2014 03:56:52 pm
      I think Allen had a good game today especially the first half and he certainly gave us like-for-like style while Henderson was out. The way the second half started and the "momentum" Norwich built up and had meant that ultimately 2 out of our 3 CM dropped too deep. Rodgers at one point (I'm sure) pointed two fingers up to instruct Lucas and Gerrard to sit. Risky game that. The two don't play well together. Gerrard is the sitter but Lucas couldn't provide the Allen factor on his side of the pitch - he looked as though he was running through treacle and gave away more of those 'silly' fouls he tends to award the opposition with. With this in mind, Rodgers has no opportunity other than to make Lucas a sitter alongside Gerrard. It's been a while since I've seen us concede that much territory to a relegation threatened team. Allen too, as part of the three central midfielders has to drop off to keep shape and density (his game has thus become restricted, contrast to the first half) and by this time Rodgers's options were limited so he really can only make defensive substitutions to reinforce the team's mindset that it has been forced to take on - bring on Agger. On top of that we had a RB who looked half @rsed and a keeper who looked more frightened of crosses than Dracula himself and Sahko who wasn't at his best.

It's good to see this time grind out results and defend (a bit) but it's not our game and it was like the games earlier on in the season where we won those 1-0 fixtures by defending deep. Since then, we have taken our games to another stratosphere and attack has been our best form of defense. And our midfield and the form of those players has been integral to the way this style has panned out but my God 1 key midfielder out, a not so able replacement and a couple of iffy performances from other team members and we look quite different. Credit to Norwich, they pressed us like Southampton did at Anfield earlier on in the season and worked themselves to the bone to pressure us and as we retreated, they, like Citeh last week sniffed our mindset and obliged by taking over territorial advantage.

I will say, as I said before the game today, I hope Coutinho drops back into that midfield with Allen to give the midfield the impetus, creativity, running and tenacity to put Chelsea on the back foot next week. I couldn't care who's picked to partner Sterling & Suarez upfront I just know we need to have the midfield sorted so that it is set-up to take on and boss the match against Chelsea next week.
      people say Henderson is a loss but you have to remember he was careless with the ball and then put in a careless challenge.  That could have been more costly,  perhaps it is better that he sits out the next couple anyway.  He's been immense this season but the pressure  has forced Henderson into a mistake.  I've never been keen on Allen but now he's doing okay. Hopefully he's gelled a bit with Lucas today so Gerrard can sit a bit deep while Allen and Lucas can be a bit in front of him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #625: Apr 20, 2014 04:07:45 pm
      Sweet result as usual hard come by.
      Lets just keep looking at the league table and get behind West Brom as the game against Chelsea is going to be massive
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #626: Apr 20, 2014 04:20:44 pm
      My heart can't handle much more of this , between jittery legs and nails bit down past the skin it's all nerve wrecking stuff , but once we won i don't care how we do it and no complaints about any particular players what's done is done .
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #627: Apr 20, 2014 04:23:08 pm
      Mignolet scares me but that save against Van Wolfswinkel at the end was top draw!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,220 posts | 2802 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #628: Apr 20, 2014 04:31:15 pm
      So similar to last week. Off to a flyer playing great stuff then second half sit back too much and let them back into it.

But all that matters is the 3 points. 3 games to go and were 5 ahead of 2nd place. Could go 8 ahead next week with then only 6 to play for

Huge huge result today biggest of the season
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #629: Apr 20, 2014 04:43:57 pm
      Sterling man of the match for me. He was immense.
      Worrisome how we switched off but on the bright side, we basically only played one good half and still managed a win.

Skrtel was outstanding, Sakho, does he ever play a misplaced pass? I didn't see any. Joe Allen was great as well, really acquitted himself well today. Lucas put it a good shift, probably needs more game time to get sharper. Stevie was Stevie, a higher standard couldn't be set or met. Suarez and a Coutinho were good but not great today. Flannel once again showing he is going to make it hard for the manager to not choose him week in and week out.

Migs had the one big blunder but also made some good saves. Glen Johnson didn't have his best game, hope he plays better going forward because we will need him.

3 more to go, one at a time, we go again.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #630: Apr 20, 2014 05:58:40 pm
      Ye the whole club, fans and owner have no class. Pretty much hate them!

Yeah I'm the same. Along with citeh they're one of my most hated teams. Would love nothing more than to,in the process of winning the title,see the chavs season ended by us and Atletico. Hope we rip them a new one next weekend.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #631: Apr 20, 2014 06:29:38 pm
      remember the sh*te Maureen came out with about Luis earlier in the season. Can't wait to see the c**t at Anfield
      Klopp_Tarts
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #632: Apr 20, 2014 06:34:12 pm
      I know Lucas used to be a box to box midfielder at Gremio but my word he looked clueless when he went forward today. I understand we're making the most out of our lack of midfielders but imo, he can't be anything other than a traditional DM. Sit deep, break up play and make the simple pass to more creative players.
      Hope Sturridge is back for Chelsea cos God knows we'll need him.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #633: Apr 20, 2014 06:36:34 pm
      Today's game also showed why Sturridge has been so crucial to our league challenge this season.

He may not always perform brilliant in the biggest games but in these type of games he is ideal on the counter attack with his speed.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #634: Apr 20, 2014 07:16:39 pm
      I know Lucas used to be a box to box midfielder at Gremio but my word he looked clueless when he went forward today. I understand we're making the most out of our lack of midfielders but imo, he can't be anything other than a traditional DM. Sit deep, break up play and make the simple pass to more creative players.
      Hope Sturridge is back for Chelsea cos God knows we'll need him.

He used to be an attacking midfielder I believe. Sadly two major injuries have fu**ed his legs up which is a real shame given the player he was before then.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #635: Apr 20, 2014 07:30:47 pm
      I don't really care much about performance as a team at this point. When you're this late in the season, and really you can't get any later, performances don't really mean much. Getting three points is all that matters. We did that, increased the gap at the top, got the job done and set ourselves up in a good position for the match vs Chelsea. Sterling was brilliant today. We conceded very preventable and soft goals, but we didn't break and regained our mentality after their first.

Teams like Norwich are very dangerous. They desperately need points, want to scalp one of the big sides, etc. Not to mention that going into today's match, they'd only lost once at home in 2014 -- last week vs West Brom. They held City scoreless at Carrow Road, for example. So this was a huge 3 points with just that in mind. Put that in context of the past week when the team in 20th picked up 4 points at City and at Chelsea, and this is an even bigger 3 points.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #636: Apr 20, 2014 08:26:32 pm
      Massive 3 points again. Three games to go, F***ing 5 clear, unbelievable :) Made up.

But that was closer than I expected today. When we went 2 up, thought we'd just pull away and score a few more. But fair play to Norwich, they stuck at it and never gave up, as you'd expect with were they are in the table. Allen did well today,  Lucas did OK too - but we missed Hendo and Studge's purposefulness (is that a word!?) going forward. If Sterling had not been on incredible form (by far and away the clear MOTM) don't think we'd have got the win. The lad was immense, a screamer, assist, 2nd by deflection, and generally excellent all day.

We're stretched thin subs wise - get nervous when Moses has to come on, though bringing Agger on was a good move to combat the balls that were getting launched into the area towards the end. BR hasn't much to work with when things get tight, as they did today - so fantastic again from the manager to navigate us through that to another 3 points. Jonno had a ropey enough game, and Migs will need to work on clearing/dominating on crosses in the summer, but we had just enough today.

Chavs next. And after seeing their last game, and the fact that they have CL coming, again confident that we can do them at home. Bit worried about our lack of options on the bench, but as long as one of Luis, or Sterling, or SG, or Couts, or whoever, continue to pop up when needed with big performances, think we can stick it to them at Anfield. Maureen is no fool (though he is a F***ing annoying little dweeboid) so expect some twists and turns, but we will be up for this, and reckon we can stretch the winning run. And 12th man are huge help.

We're so close now, it would be gut-wrenching to let it go. Definitely in the driving seat. The lads will regroup and get strong for Sunday. 3rd last game, let's leave every ounce of effort on the field. Roll out our attacking game, approach it in the same way, and we can notch up another win...
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,281 posts | 1663 
      Reply #637: Apr 20, 2014 09:02:58 pm
      interesting to see views on sakho i remember seeing him first time and thought wtf but think its his unganely stature that makes him look clumsy and uncomfortable but always passes forward and rarely wastes a ball. My worry as it has been all season is Johnson and Mignolet sorry not good enough  reina a far better option .
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #638: Apr 20, 2014 09:24:56 pm
      On reflection, the last two games have me worried. We are nervy and only for our hell for leather attack attitude early days in both games, we would be in trouble. I hope not, but I think Chelsea will manage to hold us at bay a bit longer than what city or Norwich did. That said we need to be able to hold them off. They will clearly press us high up the pitch and so will Palace. We have conceded easy goals when teams press us high.

Wish we had Hendo back. Wish we had a keeper who commanded his area. Wish we had 2 Skrtels. Wish we had 2 Flanos, 1 for RB. Going forward we are lethal but good teams can press us back and that makes it difficult to counter.

3 games left and Im suddenly more worried than ever. Please god dont let us blow this now.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #639: Apr 20, 2014 09:25:41 pm
      Mixed day really , pushed our luck a bit Ming saving the point blank header  made up for his powder puff punch IMO ,Allen Skits and Raheem our best Stevie Louie Phil  Flanno Lucas & Sakho put in a shift ,as for Johnson enoughs been said Im sure it will have grabbed Brendans attention and will sort it out accordingly ,3 points closer and the dream carries on ,
      well done Redmen.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #640: Apr 20, 2014 09:32:14 pm
      real hard fought game today.  showed real character to win that one. gave stevie MOM even though raheem got the glory. stevie was everywhere and his help in defending was utterly essential.  I'm a little surprised brendan never put aspas up front with luis to try and keep the formation the same. but fair play to raheem he was excellent.

just need to keep going the same as in every other game. keep the focus one game at a time. We're nearly there!
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #641: Apr 20, 2014 09:41:12 pm
      you look at mig's handling from crosses, sakho's slip, flanagan not jumping, lucas not impressing further forward and you know all these things will improve under Rodgers
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,238 posts | 4925 
      Reply #642: Apr 20, 2014 10:00:39 pm
      Had to listen to the second half on the radio and it was unbearable at times.

We're really showing some steel these days though and always look like a win is in us.

DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #643: Apr 20, 2014 10:08:43 pm
      watched the game, then went to play hockey and afterwards, spent time with the wife and kids at the park.  was a good day really

yup it was definitely a nervy 3 pts.  but this is kind of expected since it is so close to the season.  relegation threatened teams are super dangerous as they have to go all out.  what has really been our saving grace is our ability to score early and force the game to be more open.  I pray this trend continues especially against Chelsea

we really really have a thin squad don't we?   also luis world class ability has been on display for us all year but his ability to stay uninjured for me is one of his qualities that do not get enough notice. 

moses has played decent of late on his cameo appearances... did help us move the ball up the field and cause problems on opponents end.  agger coming on was good too.... really helped steady the ship as I can see legs were starting to tire. 

and mig... what can I say about him?  his skill as a shot blocker is top notch really.  his reaction speed, ability to get down and his air time is really great.  his ability to pass the ball around with his feet.... scares me.  I can see it worries SG as well as a few times in the game he opted for the switch pass over heads rather than play it back.  hopefully he keeps improving on this as I was watching some clips of him during the early part of the season and as unbelievable as it may sound,  he has already improved! ;D

as for Johnson,  its his positioning that is letting him down imo.  so many times an opposition player runs down the flank so he tracks him... said player passes to a teammate closer to the center.. so what does Johnson do?  he goes running to that player and we end up having two reds marking one player.  player passes back to the original guy on the flank and suddenly the guy is clear on the side for a deadly cross.    Johnson's flaw is quite well known to other teams ... they attack that side relentlessly.  I can see Chelsea pushing down that flank as well.  but this time it will be a player like willian on the side and players like ivan, JT, ba, eto waiting for it in the middle

Quick Reply