Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Who would you like to sign now that we are back amongst Europe's elite

Read 44439 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Who would you like to sign now that we are back amongst Europe's elite
      Reply #529: Jul 12, 2014 08:41:26 pm
      Even with N'Gog as back up in 2009 we reached 86 points and only lost twice all season. Our class players brought us to that level. Concentrate on improving our first 11 and let some of our current players be pushed to the bench to bolster the squad.

Lovren and Bony are two players who no other top club is after.  Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal or Utd weren't desperate for Lallana, either.  It's only Liverpool apparently falling over to pay high fees for these players. We've seen that before with Downing, Carroll, Adam et al

I know there's always nuggets in the market, Debs. But we've already taken risks on Lallana and Markovic. Now we need more proven quality.

If we'd only lost twice last season we'd have won the league at a canter.  Hell we probably wouldn't have needed Luis at all! 

These are the "class" players we bought in the summer of 2008

Deggan
      Dossena
      N'Gog
      Keane

Did they really strengthen us enough to challenge?  I doubt it.

Were they ever likely to?  Not really and we probably all knew it at the time.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing for good and bad, optimism is only good  ;D

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #530: Jul 12, 2014 08:42:15 pm

I knew there was another one mate, cheers for that  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #531: Jul 12, 2014 08:51:17 pm
      I believe that Rodgers will go for Pedro
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #532: Jul 12, 2014 08:51:37 pm
      Or we could just look to the #2 scorer in the premier league last year and try to replace what he did.

Danny is the #1 striker now so I don't think Brendan is looking to replace Luis but looking to replace the #2 spot.

Even if that's the case, the point still stands. The players we're being linked with are a significant step down from our primary target.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #533: Jul 12, 2014 08:52:18 pm
      Even if that's the case, the point still stands. The players we're being linked with are a significant step down from our primary target.

Who Sanchez?

We have been linked with Turan every year for the past 4 years.

How many players last year were we "linked' with?

If FSG was as smart as they think they are they would pay-off journos to "link us" with all the big names and thus appease the masses.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #534: Jul 12, 2014 09:26:18 pm
      Kuyt. Must be cheap, plus what experience.

Love him back.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #535: Jul 12, 2014 09:31:09 pm
      Kuyt. Must be cheap, plus what experience.

Love him back.

Certainly get in the starting XI ahead of Johnson.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #536: Jul 12, 2014 10:25:19 pm
      Who Sanchez?

We have been linked with Turan every year for the past 4 years.

How many players last year were we "linked' with?

If FSG was as smart as they think they are they would pay-off journos to "link us" with all the big names and thus appease the masses.

Clearly we're never going to agree on this. To me, you epitomise the very lack of ambition that's crept in to our club. To you, I probably represent someone who wants unrealistic targets. Let's just agree to disagree.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #537: Jul 12, 2014 10:29:53 pm
      Clearly we're never going to agree on this. To me, you epitomise the very lack of ambition that's crept in to our club. To you, I probably represent someone who wants unrealistic targets. Let's just agree to disagree.

I agree, unfortunately AZ represents a different type of football fan, one that has only 'grown up' in this era and is happy with the mentality surrounding aspects of the game now.
      I don't mean any offence in that at all

I like you will always expect us to push everything to be successful, whereas certain aspects and the owners are only willing to try to get there the safe way, turning up to a gun fight with a water pistol.. They have brainwashed us or attempted to that this is the only way.

We know we can't change their view but it doesn't mean we can't discuss other ways to look at things
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #538: Jul 12, 2014 10:35:27 pm
      Varane, Felipe Luis and Reus.

Faaaaaaaaanks Brendaaaaan. :D
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #539: Jul 13, 2014 12:04:29 am

5X what is my speaking about the owner and what I think they will do, reflect my lack of ambition?

All I have been stating is what I believe are the ways FSG look at things, that's all.

I fail to see what that has to do with me and a personal lack of ambition?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #540: Jul 13, 2014 12:09:28 am
      I agree, unfortunately AZ represents a different type of football fan, one that has only 'grown up' in this era and is happy with the mentality surrounding aspects of the game now.
      I don't mean any offence in that at all

I like you will always expect us to push everything to be successful, whereas certain aspects and the owners are only willing to try to get there the safe way, turning up to a gun fight with a water pistol.. They have brainwashed us or attempted to that this is the only way.

We know we can't change their view but it doesn't mean we can't discuss other ways to look at things

Once again do you see me say "This is what I would do if I owned LFC"

All I was posting is what I feel is the inevitable outcome of how this money will be spent.

How is it that FSG/John Henry's lack of ambition reflects upon me as an individual?

Debs just posted at the top how she thinks we are not quite ready yet and the money will be spent to strengthen the spine of the team...Does she lack ambition?

Mick does not want "big names" he wants to build from the inside-out and have depth...does he lack ambition?

Hell Swab thinks part of the money will go to the stadium so he must really lack ambition.

Just for the record I would go along with what Saint suggested...sell Lucas, Aspas, Borini; put it with the Suarez money and buy 4-5 really good players; I hope for my sake that is not showing a lack of ambition.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #541: Jul 13, 2014 12:13:51 am
      There isn't a correct mentality. Everyone expects things in different forms. Reality is, we are never ever satisfied and I'm most guilty for that. The way I see it is that FSG are shrew business men. Selling Suarez will probably be the best thing they have done since appointing Rodgers as the manager. The money they have saved from wages alone has funded Adam Lallana's fee and wages for four years. Markovic comes in because he is young. His fee isn't so cheap (£20m apparently), but his wages will inevitably be small (£2m per year?). Rickie Lambert is on £40k per week and cost £4m. That's also a total of £12m over four years. I simply cannot see FSG spending £30m on a player and then giving them a £120k per week transfer. That'd cost £25m in wages over four years plus the £30m fee. We will not spend big because of wages. Vidal, Kroos, Hummels, Reus, Khedira, Di Maria will all demand wages over £100k per week in my opinion. We don't function like that. So while I'd like to see these type of players come in, they won't, which makes me then want us to invest in top youngsters who will be moulded into top stars. This is where we'd need a decent scouting network.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #542: Jul 13, 2014 12:17:16 am
      Don't worry AZ unfortunately some of our fans believe we have  a  multi billionaire backer who will sanction ridiculous sign on fees a sky high salaries.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #543: Jul 13, 2014 12:17:47 am
      I think a fair few of the players we're signing will be starters and will improve the 1st team. You'd think that Lallana and Lovren would start more often than not. Then Markovic and Can, whilst not likely to be automatic starters, should get a decent number of games and will probably become integrated into the 1st XI in a few seasons if they play well. Lambert and whichever CF comes in will start on the occasions that Sturridge is out/rested or if BR feels we need a 'big lad' up front. Finally, I'd imagine Moreno would start at LB ahead of Enrique most of the time if we do get him. Even if we do instead get a fairly average player like Bertrand then at least it would still be an improvement over out options for that position last season and will allow Flanno to compete with Johnson for RB.

I would also argue that we did have a good team last year, and it would not be an unreasonable assumption to make that a lot of the younger lads will continue improving into next season. However, we did lack quality in the bench and in defence. So perhaps making 8 or so signings, some of whom will start, some of whom will probably start in a season or two's time and some of whom give us more options, to ensure we have sufficient depth for all 4 comps next season and hopefully sorting our defence out is a better way of going about things than just buying 3 £40 players. Not that I'd be complaining if we brought 3 big names in though.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #544: Jul 13, 2014 12:23:27 am
      There isn't a correct mentality. Everyone expects things in different forms. Reality is, we are never ever satisfied and I'm most guilty for that. The way I see it is that FSG are shrew business men. Selling Suarez will probably be the best thing they have done since appointing Rodgers as the manager. The money they have saved from wages alone has funded Adam Lallana's fee and wages for four years. Markovic comes in because he is young. His fee isn't so cheap (£20m apparently), but his wages will inevitably be small (£2m per year?). Rickie Lambert is on £40k per week and cost £4m. That's also a total of £12m over four years. I simply cannot see FSG spending £30m on a player and then giving them a £120k per week transfer. That'd cost £25m in wages over four years plus the £30m fee. We will not spend big because of wages. Vidal, Kroos, Hummels, Reus, Khedira, Di Maria will all demand wages over £100k per week in my opinion. We don't function like that. So while I'd like to see these type of players come in, they won't, which makes me then want us to invest in top youngsters who will be moulded into top stars. This is where we'd need a decent scouting network.
      Agree with this, and I think bringing in top youngsters is what BR is doing with Can and Markovic. Incidentally, I also believe that the reason you give (i.e.not wanting to pay high wages unless it's a top 10 or so player) is exactly why we didn't get Sanchez. He's on £130k a week at Arsenal. No way I could see FSG offering him that much or even close to it.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #545: Jul 13, 2014 12:25:31 am
      Don't worry AZ unfortunately some of our fans believe we have  a  multi billionaire backer who will sanction ridiculous sign on fees a sky high salaries.

Not worried, some posters think the reality of FSG is somehow a reflection of what my dreams and aspirations are.

How the two somehow melded together I haven't a clue.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #546: Jul 13, 2014 12:38:29 am
      5X what is my speaking about the owner and what I think they will do, reflect my lack of ambition?

All I have been stating is what I believe are the ways FSG look at things, that's all.

I fail to see what that has to do with me and a personal lack of ambition?

Fair enough mate. For the record though, I believe the owners have demonstrated time and again that they're prepared to back Brendan on his targets, if the money is available for them. I believe 100% that if Brendan wanted to spend £75 million on trying to get Muller to come, FSG would back him all the way. The lack of ambition at our club does not lie with the owners, it lies with the manager and our transfer committee and frankly, that disgusts me on a variety of levels. Remember what the great man once said: “Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.” Right now we're barely aiming above the skirting board.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #547: Jul 13, 2014 12:40:25 am
      Not worried, some posters think the reality of FSG is somehow a reflection of what my dreams and aspirations are.

How the two somehow melded together I haven't a clue.
      We know that you're really John Henry  ;D and we're trying to get you to loosen the purse strings . How about it boss .  ;)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #548: Jul 13, 2014 12:40:40 am
      Fair enough mate. For the record though, I believe the owners have demonstrated time and again that they're prepared to back Brendan on his targets, if the money is available for them. I believe 100% that if Brendan wanted to spend £75 million on trying to get Muller to come, FSG would back him all the way. The lack of ambition at our club does not lie with the owners, it lies with the manager and our transfer committee.

I respect your opinion and respectfully disagree with it 180 degrees the opposite.

But that is ok.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #549: Jul 13, 2014 12:41:14 am
      We know that you're really John Henry  ;D and we're trying to get you to loosen the purse strings . How about it boss .  ;)

I'd be F***ing Linda right now not on an internet forum.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #550: Jul 13, 2014 12:43:27 am
      I respect your opinion and respectfully disagree with it 180 degrees the opposite.

But that is ok.

I genuinely can't understand that? I really can't. What on earth makes you think FSG have told Brendan Rodgers that he cannot sign experienced players? Where would the business sense be in that? If nothing else, Henry and Warner are successful business men.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #551: Jul 13, 2014 12:50:31 am
      I genuinely can't understand that? I really can't. What on earth makes you think FSG have told Brendan Rodgers that he cannot sign experienced players? Where would the business sense be in that? If nothing else, Henry and Warner are successful business men.

Show me evidence that they would?

When it comes to money over the 30 million mark:

The MO is buying talented and upcoming superstars that have sell on value, not to buy 27-28 year olds that have none or to overpay for any individual.

Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Markovic....hell even Andy Carroll; young, big upside , big potential sell on value...that's how they think and how they always have thought.

I do not see them spending huge sums of money where they are not going to have an opportunity to get it back.

They tried it a few years ago with the Red Sox and they got burned to a crisp now Henry says they will never ever do it that way again.

You will retort that baseball is different than football and you would be correct but FSG do not think that way its all the same to them.

I hope for your sake and everyone else that feels we need it that we get it so you can sleep easier at night.

Personally I rather we have a better and deeper squad than try to replace Suarez with a 75 million Mueller as I think we have bigger and deeper problems but that is another story.

In the end if we do not get the "big name" I am not going to lay it on Brendan's door that he lacks ambition.

Quick Reply