Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

The 'War Chest'... who will leave?

Read 15606 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: The 'War Chest'... who will leave?
      Reply #69: May 07, 2014 01:23:58 pm
      Reina, Johnson, Cissokho, 1 from Skrtel/Agger, Toure, Lucas (only for the fact I think hes given us his best and we should cash in) Aspas, Moses and a loan deal for Martin Kelly to get his career back on track

The thinking behind 1 from Skrtel and Danny is simpley that I think we need 2 top class centre backs to come in ( e.g. Hummells and the Greek lad) and Illori back from loan. so we couldnt keep both here 5 centrre halfs arent required
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #70: May 07, 2014 02:16:45 pm
      As much as I believe Lucas and Johnson are probably surplus to a first XI I think it could be dangerous to sell them this summer.

I really really hope we keep Agger too.  I do not get what Rodgers has against him - I can only assume it is a personality clash like with Pepe.

Fringe players leaving - fair enough - but at least for the next year I would like to keep the majority of those who have played at least some part in this season.  Like many said the squad needs gradual improvement now, not wholesale surgical Spurs treatment.

Spot on JD and how I see it as well.

I have a feeling Agger will be off and maybe Lucas as well but like you I think we should be doing everything to keep them in the squad and adding to it.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #71: May 07, 2014 03:01:24 pm
      As much as I believe Lucas and Johnson are probably surplus to a first XI I think it could be dangerous to sell them this summer.

I really really hope we keep Agger too.  I do not get what Rodgers has against him - I can only assume it is a personality clash like with Pepe.

Fringe players leaving - fair enough - but at least for the next year I would like to keep the majority of those who have played at least some part in this season.  Like many said the squad needs gradual improvement now, not wholesale surgical Spurs treatment.

I don't think Brendan has anything "against" Agger. Agger was named vice captain, was a starter, got injured, Sakho played well enough to not warrant being benched, Sakho got injured, Agger returned and played well enough to resume his starting place, got injured again, Sakho again played well enough to not warrant being benched.

It's more of a case of the in-form and fit player plays, especially when we only have one match per week. I've never seen a team play with 2 left-footed, left-sided CBs and the 3-5-2 we tried out didn't work that well, so it's always a case of one or the other, unfortunately.

That said, I can see him being off too. High wages, number of injuries, etc. Would hate to see it happen and it would totally be the wrong move, but it seems like there's a good chance of it happening.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #72: May 07, 2014 04:22:45 pm
      I have this nasty feeling that we're gonna lose Dagger this summer  :-\
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #73: May 07, 2014 05:15:30 pm
      The reason we relied on our attack is Suarez Sturridge and Sterling are that good and we've been fortunate with injuries.  There are a lot of players that  aren't performing well enough.  I think Allen and Henderson have crossed the line to be what is expected from a Liverpool player this season,  that's some evidence right there that patience can pay off... unfortunately Borini is taking too long and Lucas is taking backwards steps... I see those going along well Agger because he's not quite first choice anymore.  Johnson has to go because he's inconsistent.  Enrique is injury prone so I'd have him gone... Aspas wants to go and I would not try too hard to keep him... Cissokho and Moses loan deal should not be renewed because they've not been good enough. Toure isn't a future player because of his age. We could need upto 9 replacements this summer. Our backbone is going to be. ..

Suarez   Sturridge  Sterling

Hendo   Allen
                         Gerrard

Flanno  Skrtel  Sakho

Mignolet

We don't have 2 good fall backs and just one good alternative Winger,  Coutinho. .. going to be a busy summer.

We need a strong presence in midfield, Alberto doesn't fit that for me so he's more forward to me. I don't know if Suso can put in a good performance next season but I'd certainly hang onto him with the extra fixtures next season.

Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,316 posts | 279 
      Reply #74: May 07, 2014 10:52:10 pm
      The keeper situation does worry me,I'm happy with Mignolet he does look a little nervy at times bit he's a good shot stopper but if he get's injured we are knackered,I don't rate Brad Jones at all. With the CL league games and cup games etc we need some decent cover. I personally would keep Reina but he's on a good wedge, probably too much to be a number 2 keeper.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #75: May 07, 2014 11:04:02 pm
      We don't need to go mad buying players. Time now to spend wisely on 2 or 3 quality additions in key areas. A full back, a central creative type and a tricky forward.
      Road end boy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #76: May 07, 2014 11:52:10 pm
      I think we should retain reina if we can get his wages down, currently no competition for Simon m. We need to keep Lucas unless we get a superior dm which there isn't many, too many people are forgetting his early season form, although it could be argued he lacks pace, personally I think agger could function in this role, as gerrard won't last no more than two seasons. We need borino  back, we need competition for our defence, another world class midfielder, that Russian we were after maybe. IDE try to get hazard off the chavs. Get rid of loan players, Johnson needs shipping out. I would get shaw in his place and forget about llama or both oh. And I would break the bank for Barkley, give em Johnson, Lucas and 23 million.  Job done
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #77: May 08, 2014 12:36:16 am
      If I could have it my way:

very decent right back
      Very decent left back
      A competent defensive midfielder
      And Javier Pastore

Then a couple of support players
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #78: May 09, 2014 12:32:42 pm
      Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Toure, Aspas, Assaidi, Coates, Lucas, Cissokho, and maybe Jones
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #79: May 09, 2014 07:47:58 pm
      "Who will leave?"
      What are the odds on our no 7 buggering off to Madrid this summer?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #80: May 09, 2014 07:53:57 pm
      I think we should retain reina if we can get his wages down, currently no competition for Simon m.

With all respect mate why would he come back with not being first choice and take a pay cut for the privilege?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #81: May 09, 2014 08:29:30 pm
      With all respect mate why would he come back with not being first choice and take a pay cut for the privilege?

I agree, no way would he take a pay cut, however, I still think he's better than Mignolet. Reina should be at his peak now and I would love to see him retain the #1 spot for next season. Saying that, I highly doubt it'll happen :(
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #82: May 09, 2014 09:16:04 pm
      I agree, no way would he take a pay cut, however, I still think he's better than Mignolet. Reina should be at his peak now and I would love to see him retain the #1 spot for next season. Saying that, I highly doubt it'll happen :(

Don't get me wrong mate I'm as big a Pepe fan as you will find but he won't be back..

I just was asking the lad what he meant, why would Pepe come back and not be a no.1 when he could be anywhere he was to go, and take a pay cut to boot.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #83: May 09, 2014 10:27:50 pm
      There is more chance of Bruce Grobbelaar being back in nets next season then Pepe.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #84: May 11, 2014 11:26:30 pm
      The keeper situation does worry me,I'm happy with Mignolet he does look a little nervy at times bit he's a good shot stopper but if he get's injured we are knackered,I don't rate Brad Jones at all. With the CL league games and cup games etc we need some decent cover. I personally would keep Reina but he's on a good wedge, probably too much to be a number 2 keeper.

Most keepers are good shot stoppers.

Trouble is he seems poor positionally, with distribution,  and commanding his defence. Agreed about Jones though. Would love pepe back to offer serious competition to mig.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #85: May 11, 2014 11:36:24 pm
      "Who will leave?"
      What are the odds on our no 7 buggering off to Madrid this summer?

Why? He's got the CL footy he wanted. Yes Real Madrid are massive, but they've blown their league chances too this season. Plus he's now on massive money here. On the flip side, there is the pull of teaming up with Ronaldo,  Bale et al. If this is the case, then so be it.

We are still one of the world's biggest clubs. We have great players. A great, young manager,  and the pull of CL footy to attract "better" players. We are in a fantastic place right now and the future is looking rosy.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #86: May 12, 2014 05:45:12 am
      Why? He's got the CL footy he wanted. Yes Real Madrid are massive, but they've blown their league chances too this season. Plus he's now on massive money here. On the flip side, there is the pull of teaming up with Ronaldo,  Bale et al. If this is the case, then so be it.

We are still one of the world's biggest clubs. We have great players. A great, young manager,  and the pull of CL footy to attract "better" players. We are in a fantastic place right now and the future is looking rosy.

As much as he is our key man...

A few years ago we sold Rushie to juventus and got barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge, (and a bit later on houghton) in exchange more or less, and that worked out pretty well...

So if we sold Suarez...think of what that cash could generate in terms of squad strengthening...

Just a glass half full thought...
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #87: May 12, 2014 08:14:33 am
      As much as he is our key man...

A few years ago we sold Rushie to juventus and got barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge, (and a bit later on houghton) in exchange more or less, and that worked out pretty well...

So if we sold Suarez...think of what that cash could generate in terms of squad strengthening...

Just a glass half full thought...

I'm pretty sure your dates are mixed up. Rush went to Juve in '84/85. Barnes et al joined 86/87? That's how I seem to remember it anyway.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #88: May 12, 2014 09:19:08 am
      I'm pretty sure your dates are mixed up. Rush went to Juve in '84/85. Barnes et al joined 86/87? That's how I seem to remember it anyway.

Pretty sure you've got it mixed up. Rush was in Italy for the 87-88 season.
      Barnes joined us for the 87-88 season, so did Peter Beardsley, John Aldridge & Ray Houghton. Rush came back a year later

Nevertheless, Suarez aint leaving. We cannot "perfectly" rebuild even if we get the 100mil. We just saw a working example (Spurs) for a similar scenario. Heck, no more rebuilding, we have to build upon what we have
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #89: May 12, 2014 09:31:09 am
      Pretty sure you've got it mixed up. Rush was in Italy for the 87-88 season.
      Barnes joined us for the 87-88 season, so did Peter Beardsley, John Aldridge & Ray Houghton. Rush came back a year later

Nevertheless, Suarez aint leaving. We cannot "perfectly" rebuild even if we get the 100mil. We just saw a working example (Spurs) for a similar scenario. Heck, no more rebuilding, we have to build upon what we have

I thought Rushie went to Italy after the Heysel cup final? Remember it was 3.2 million pounds though.

you're right about Luis though. We have to build around him. Not too many players who could replace him tbh. Maybe aguero but at what cost?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #90: May 12, 2014 09:33:29 am
      I thought Rushie went to Italy after the Heysel cup final? Remember it was 3.2 million pounds though.

I think he signed or agreed the deal then but he stayed with us for naother season and leave for the 87-88 season.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #91: May 12, 2014 09:42:07 am
      I think he signed or agreed the deal then but he stayed with us for naother season and leave for the 87-88 season.

Indeed it was 87/88.

Crikey I know I'm getting old,  but my noggin really must be addled :O

Quick Reply