Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Bob Paisley appreciation thread

Read 10187 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Re: The Bob Paisley appreciation thread
      Reply #23: May 25, 2014 05:54:52 am
      Was always going to happen considering you no longer have to be champions to enter. Puts into perspective his achievement though, that it's only been equalled after 30odd years. Arise Sir Bob!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24: May 25, 2014 08:39:13 am
      I haven't checked, but I would say in terms of quality signings, Bob would probably have the higesr legend signing ratio of any of our managers! Kenny, Rush, Whelan..... quality msnager, quslity signings.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #25: May 25, 2014 08:56:50 am
      Sir Bob has risen.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #26: May 25, 2014 09:13:52 am
      I haven't checked, but I would say in terms of quality signings, Bob would probably have the higesr legend signing ratio of any of our managers! Kenny, Rush, Whelan..... quality msnager, quslity signings.

I think Ray Kennedy was the last signing Bill Shankly made for us prior to retiring but Bob Paisley should be given all the credit for converting Ray from a striker to a ,midfielder. I must say thank you to Bill and Bob  for  giving us the opportunity to watch such a fantastic footballer as Ray Kennedy.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #27: May 25, 2014 05:06:23 pm
      Sir Bob has always been the forgotten man when it comes to dishing out sycophantic plaudits regarding 'successful managers'. The ONLY reason for these omissions is because he was such a genuine, humble and quiet bloke who never ever went looking for fame and self gratification.

To laud Fergie as the best British manager ever is quite simply a disgrace. To have only have ever won the CL twice during his tenure is failure personified. It's been said that this lack of success and ultimately failure to overtake LFC as Britain's best European side is something that will 'eat away' at him until the day he drops. Something I'll take great pleasure in knowing.

I too was a 70's child. I remember quite vividly being taken to my 1st match as an 8 year old in 1978 at home v Man Shitty. Sat just to the right of the players tunnel watching these what seemed to me like giant fellas running out onto the pitch. And then the great man himself walks out. Even then, I myself could tell that there was an aura and reverence to him.

The way he could pick a player he knew would slot right into our system of play was uncanny. It mattered not as to which division they came from either a la Joey Jones. Or the way he could identify an injury just by looking at how the player is running. He was also a modern day Dr. Peters too, although not in the sense where he'd molly-cuddle the player, he'd just tell him the facts. The goods were always produced after a la Rushie.

Personally, he will always be my favourite LFC manager.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #28: May 25, 2014 10:18:19 pm
      Sir Bob was also my first Liverpool Manager that I properly recall.
      As others have stated, he was such a fantastic man first and foremost and then an incredible manager.
      Imagine how hard it must have been to some in and replace Sir Bill?!
      I loved how he helped Sir Kenny in his first term at the helm.
      What a proper Liverpool man he was.
      Great to read the quotes that have been posted.
      It's as if Brendan has had a read of those and carries them with him in the way he structures our club.
      We are amazingly blessed to have had him, Sir Bill, Sir Kenny, Roy Evans and Ronnie Moran at our club.
      Fourbrick3
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #29: May 26, 2014 01:04:44 pm
      I am proud to have known Sir Bob. He used to visit my mate's garage in East Prescot Road,  every morning, to pick his horses before going to Melwood. He never had a bad word to say about anybody and had a very dry wit. He told me that he never thought a lad who played for Bishop Auckland would end up managing the greatest football club in the world.

A brilliant manager  and a great physio, who could tell from the way a player walked if anything was wrong with him. A legend.

Let's get a statue of him to accompany Mr Shankly.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #30: Aug 18, 2014 10:58:54 am
      Bob Paisley: How Liverpool's reluctant hero began a revolution

Liverpool began their Premier League campaign with a 2-1 victory against Southampton on Sunday and manager Brendan Rodgers will be attempting to build on last season's second-placed finish.

But whatever Rodgers achieves at Anfield during his tenure, he is unlikely to surpass the feats of Bob Paisley, who took charge of Liverpool in the league for the first time exactly 40 years ago, with a 2-1 win at Luton on 17 August, 1974.

In his nine seasons in charge, Paisley won six league titles, three European Cups, three League Cups, a Uefa Cup, Super Cup and three Charity Shields. He was also manager of the year on six occasions - an honour won by Rodgers for the first time last season.

Paisley's 45 years as a player, physiotherapist, coach, assistant manager, manager and director is a unique example of loyalty to one club. Here, we look back at the career of one of the great managers.

Paisley spent his entire professional playing career at Liverpool

The reluctant genius
      There is no knighthood on the family mantelpiece or statue outside Anfield to commemorate one of Liverpool's true legends, but Paisley was never one for personal plaudits or making a fuss.

Long-time Liverpool secretary Peter Robinson described having a "frightful time" trying to persuade Paisley to take over the managerial reins following the departure of predecessor Bill Shankly, who had claimed three league titles, two FA Cups and two Uefa Cups over 15 seasons after taking over in 1959.

When Paisley took his first training session after his appointment, he told a shocked dressing room that he was "only looking after the shop until a proper manager arrives".

Record appearance holder Ian Callaghan, who played in midfield for the club between 1960 and 1978, said: "Bob was very reluctant to become manager because he didn't think he was cut out for it. He was an introvert and preferred being in the background.

"I think we all had to adjust. He'd always been known as simply 'Bob'. It was Shanks who was 'boss', and it took time to change.
      "Shanks was a one-off, but Bob was a one-off too and he found ways of making a great club even greater."

Paisley guided Liverpool to their first European Cup win, beating Borussia Monchengladbach 3-1 in 1977

Shankly v Paisley
      These two greats were entirely different characters with different strengths, but they complemented each other.

Paisley biographer John Keith, who has written and produced a 40th anniversary tribute show that will be staged at New Brighton's Floral Pavilion on 12 September, said: "Bob once remarked that while Shanks wore steel tips on his shoes so people knew he was coming, he preferred to wear carpet slippers.

"When Bob took over he called some of the press into his office and explained he was not very good at saying what he meant, and gave permission for us to finish off his sentences for him."

Left-back Alan Kennedy, who scored winning goals in two European Cup finals under Paisley, said that he had a ruthless streak that Shankly never had.

He said: "Bob learned a lot from Shanks' reluctance to change an ageing Liverpool side in the late 1960s. Just after we won the European Cup against Real Madrid in 1981 he said the team needed freshening up and he went out and did it."

Among the players who were phased out within a year were goalkeeper Ray Clemence, midfielder Terry McDermott and striker David Johnson.
      Right-back Phil Neal, who won nine league championships and four European Cups with the club, said that Paisley's ability to pick players from obscurity was a major strength.

Neal added: "He signed defender Ronnie Whelan from Irish League side Home Farm, striker Ian Rush from Chester City and goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar from Vancouver Whitecaps.

"When Kevin Keegan moved to German side Hamburg in 1977 for £500,000, Bob brought in Kenny Dalglish from Celtic and made a £60,000 profit on the deal."

Paisley took over from the great Bill Shankly in 1974

Soaked with success
      Paisley had a tough act to follow in succeeding Shankly, but Liverpool did not just dominate English football during Paisley's tenure, they dominated Europe, too.

In his second season as boss, Liverpool won the Uefa Cup, but Paisley had his eyes on the biggest prize of all.

The following season, he took Liverpool to their first European Cup success when they beat Borussia Monchengladbach 3-1 in the final in Rome.

Bob Paisley's career timeline
      May 1939
      Signs professional contract with Liverpool.
      October 1939
      Joins 73rd Regiment of Royal Artillery as anti-tank gunner.
      March 1954
      Plays final game for Liverpool in 1-0 loss at Sheffield United.
      April 1954
      Becomes Liverpool's reserve coach.
      April 1956
      Guides reserves to first Central League title.
      July 1974
      Succeeds Bill Shankly as Liverpool manager.
      May 1976
      Wins League and UEFA Cup double.
      May 1977
      Guides Liverpool to first European Cup and retains League.
      May 1978
      Paisley is first English boss to retain European Cup.
      May 1979
      Wins League for third time.
      May 1980
      Wins fourth League title.
      May 1981
      Leads Liverpool to third European Cup as they beat Real Madrid 1-0.
      May 1982
      Wins fifth League title with final-day win over Tottenham.
      August 1982
      Announces he will retire at end of 1982-83 season.
      March 1983
      Wins League Cup at Wembley with 2-1 win over Manchester United.
      May 1983
      Wins sixth League title and takes charge of Liverpool for final time.

On his one and only previous visit to Rome in 1944, Paisley had been a gunner in the Eighth Army and rode on the back of a tank during the liberation of the Eternal City.

Although not one for team talks, his words to the players before going out for that famous win in 1977 were as humorous as they were inspiring.

Keith explained: "He roused the players by saying that the first time he was in Rome he beat the Germans, and they were to go out there and do it again."

Paisley followed it up by taking Liverpool to two further European Cup crowns in 1978 and 1981.

Until Carlo Ancelotti led Real Madrid to Champions League glory in May, Paisley was the only manager to win three European Cup/Champions Leagues. He is still the only manager to do so with the same club.

Neal, who was Paisley's first signing from Northampton in 1974, added: "Bob's wife Jessie once said to me that what made his achievement even greater was that in those days you had to win the league to get into the European Cup. Nowadays you can finish fourth and still qualify."

Paisley won three European Cups with Liverpool, the only manager to do so with the same club

The father figure
      Alan Kennedy's family came from the same area of Tyne & Wear as Paisley and the former left-back says that he introduced the same sense of community at Liverpool as was found in the close-knit community he left behind at Hetton-le-Hole.

Kennedy said: "He didn't just chat to the tea ladies and the kit washing women, he knew their first names and, more to the point, wanted to know them.

"He always treated us the same as he would treat his sons.

"When Bob signed me as a 24-year-old from Newcastle United, he said it wasn't a gamble because he knew I was the right type of personality to make it at Liverpool because he was familiar with my background.

"He went to school with my mum, Sarah Anne, and they knew each other as they grew up. She used to serve him a lot when she worked in a fish and chip shop.

"When I joined Liverpool he would drive me to and from my hotel and tell me all the virtues of playing for the club."

Neal added: "Bob didn't focus on individuals, he treated everyone the same. He knew the importance of the team and so no-one was left out in the cold. If you had a problem on or off the pitch his door was always open."

Paisley sold star player Kevin Keegan and replaced him with Kenny Dalglish, making a £60,000 profit

Paisley's quirks
      After his playing days ended in 1954, Paisley had taken a correspondence course in physiotherapy and from it honed new skills that became beneficial later in his career.

Paisley did not like medical equipment and often struggled even to plug things in, but he had a sixth sense and trusted unorthodox methods, as striker David Fairclough was to find out.

Keith added: "David ran over to take a corner at the Kop end and as he cocked his leg to strike the ball, Bob turned to coach Joe Fagan and said 'get him off, he needs a cartilage operation'. Next week he was under the surgeon's knife."

Years earlier, Liverpool had hosted Bertie Mee's Arsenal and in the warm-up Paisley noticed Gunners striker Charlie George running with a slight ankle injury and persuaded Mee to pull George from the starting line-up.

Kennedy said that players were amazed by his ability to pick up on the slightest knocks. He added: "He had an uncanny knack. He would come up to you and ask 'are you alright?' Even if you felt fit that would put a doubt in your mind."

Shankly is often regarded as the brainchild behind the famous Anfield boot room, where tactics were discussed and important decisions made, but it was actually Paisley's idea.

Shankly had an office, but Paisley and the other coaches wanted their own place to go to chat, so chose the boot room.

Paul Orr, a friend and local brewery manager, ran his own team and would send players over to Anfield for extra coaching.

As a thank you, Orr, who later became Liverpool's lord mayor, sent a lorry to Anfield with crates of Guinness for the boot room.

Callaghan added: "You had to be invited into the boot room and when I was coming to the end of my career, Bob would invite me in with the other coaches and we'd have chats over a glass or two of Guinness."

Liverpool's Emlyn Hughes captained Paisley's side to a 3-0 win over Everton in the 1977 FA Cup semis

Anfield sunset
      Paisley had taken over the Anfield reins when he was 55 years old and by the age of 64 he had had enough.

When Shankly quit as manager, he could not let go and was often a distraction at the club's Melwood training ground.

Paisley did not want that for his successor Joe Fagan and kept a respectful distance.

Keith said: "Bob was intense when he was involved in football, but he knew when to back off. He loved nothing better than going home to Jessie and having a cup of tea and putting his feet up.

"He did become a director at the club, but he didn't interfere with the playing side, although he did become an advisor to Kenny Dalglish when he was player-manager. Kenny later said that 'the biggest debt I owe in football is to Bob Paisley' because of the vast knowledge he shared with him."

Paisley is regarded by many as the most successful manager in English football because he accrued his 20 trophies in a third of the time it took Sir Alex Ferguson to win his 38 trophies with Manchester United.

erguson recently admitted that his only regret was not matching Paisley's three European Cups at Manchester United.

While Ferguson won 1.46 trophies per season in 26 seasons at United, Paisley achieved 2.22 per season.

Callaghan said: "It is always difficult to compare, but Paisley's record speaks for itself. When you factor in his other achievements at the club both on and off the pitch, I think he has to be the best."

Paisley died in 1996, aged 77, after suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

By Russell Stoddart
      BBC Sport
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28772320
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #31: Aug 18, 2014 03:21:30 pm
      RIP Boss.

Would be great to see a Statue of Sir Bob outside Anfield alongside Shankly.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #32: Jan 30, 2020 02:59:33 pm
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #33: Jan 30, 2020 09:51:22 pm

Loving this and seeing Bob carrying Emlyn is iconic, looking forward to seeing this at Anfield.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34: Jan 30, 2020 10:18:44 pm
      Remember when Shanks resigned people said we were finished and up popped Sir Bob slippers and flat Cap at the ready.
      Our history is blessed with really good decent men and now we have Jürgen who some how is the embodiment of all that is great about this club
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #35: Jan 30, 2020 10:19:25 pm
      So sorry I didn't know this was happening. Would have loved to have been there to pay my respects to, as I said nearly five years ago above a  truly great, humble man.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #36: Jan 30, 2020 10:31:59 pm
      The 'Humble one',  Thank you Sir Bob, you gave me so many good memories
      God Bless
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #37: Jan 30, 2020 10:35:43 pm
      Greatest manager in all of British Football History, plz, don’t listen to the pro Manc media Lording it over Fergie, that man was a genius albeit very difficult for me to say so, this argument will go on forever, but just for the record Bob won 20 trophies in his 9 years as manager, including 3, yes Three, European / CL Cups Fergie  won a similar amount but took him 26 years, including 2 CLs, go figure?

also Slur Alex got ‘Sir’ on the back of it but, poor Bob got totally ignored, despite the fact that Bob, fought for his country, gave most of his life to football and in particular Liverpool FC, That’s the British establishment for you, they prefer to award bullies & gobshites rather than those who are far more deserving, now having said that, I doubt good old Bob would be to fussed about receiving any sort of ‘hood’ Knight or otherwise  he’d be to busy reading the racing post in his flat cap, cardigan & slippers, and that was Bob down to a tee, humble & modest,

I got to honest though, a statue for Bob is brilliant, but for a club to honour him like this should have been done decades ago, I know the “Paisley “ gates carry his name, but for his longevity and the success he brought to the club I can’t help but say.... It’s About Bloody Time ! !

Sir Robert Paisley,

got a great ring to it has it not ?

YNWA

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #38: Jan 30, 2020 10:43:40 pm
      he was such a gentleman this is worth watching
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2M5VYPQsO4
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #39: Jan 30, 2020 11:23:19 pm
      So proud that I  was around to witness the unrivalled success this legend brought LFC and the treasured memories he gave,the  statue is long long overdue.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #40: Jan 31, 2020 12:31:41 am
      we will always be in debt to Shanks for taking our club out of the doldrums and Building it into his
      ‘Bastion of invincibilty’
      But Sir Bob, in a meagre 9 seasons surpassed anything achieved in English or European club football ever.

His achievements are still unsurpassed or even close to being equalled.
      Not just a true servant and legend of Liverpool, but to football everywhere.

A true footballing genius.
      The statue, commendable yes, but 30 years late. Can’t wait for my selfie with it. My favourite manager ever.
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2020 12:36:24 am by GERNS »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #41: Jan 31, 2020 07:31:26 am
      What a fantastic permanent reminder of what the late great Bob Paisley did for this club.I count myself lucky that I saw Bob play for L.F.C. many times and still recall him running onto the pitch with a bucket,water and sponge to treat an injured player when he was our trainer..It is also fitting that the MIGHTY EMLYN HUGHES is depicted on the bronze sculpture,another player who gave his all to the Liverpool cause.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #42: Jan 31, 2020 08:03:12 am
      Have to say hats off to the sculptor also. Seen some dodgy statues unveiled over the last few years but this is fantastic & very life-like.

Superb work of art
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #43: Jan 31, 2020 09:06:13 am
      Good timing for me as I'm up for the match tomorrow, so will get to see Bob's statue in all it's glory  ;D

Quick Reply