Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Hillsborough Wikipedia posts vandalised.

Read 10102 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Hillsborough Wikipedia posts vandalised.
      Apr 25, 2014 07:38:32 am
      Hillsborough Wikipedia posts: Government pledges 'urgent inquiries'
      The government says it is making "urgent inquiries" into reports Whitehall computers were used to make insulting comments about the Hillsborough disaster.

The Liverpool Echo reported that changes were made to Wikipedia entries about the tragedy.

Comments were posted from computers on Whitehall's secure intranet, it said.

The Cabinet Office said the claims were being treated with "the utmost seriousness".

"We thank the Liverpool Echo for bringing this to our attention," a spokesman said.

"No one should be in any doubt of the government's position regarding the Hillsborough disaster and its support for the families of the 96 victims and all those affected by the tragedy."

'Appropriate action' call
      Steve Kelly, who lost his 38-year-old brother Michael at Hillsborough, said: "After all these years it's disgusting that people are still trying to put the knife into the families - we're good people.

"We've tried to maintain our dignity and people are still doing this sort of thing."

Sheila Coleman, spokeswoman for the Hillsborough Justice Campaign, said they will be talking to their legal team about "how to proceed".

"Clearly we'll be calling for an enquiry - we'll expect those responsible to be identified and appropriate action taken," she added.

The Liverpool football fans died after a crush at the FA Cup semi-final in April 1989.

New inquests, set to last a year, were ordered after new evidence revealed by the Hillsborough Independent Panel led to the original inquest verdicts being quashed.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-27152223

Exclusive: Shocking Hillsborough insults added on Wikipedia from Government computers
      Families shock and anger over revisions including "Blame Liverpool fans" and "You'll Never Walk Again" made from machines in Treasury and Department for Culture, Media and Sport

Government computers have been used to insert insulting references into Wikipedia entries for the Hillsborough disaster, the ECHO can reveal.

A series of sickening revisions to the site began on the 20th anniversary of the 1989 tragedy, when “Blame Liverpool fans” was anonymously added to the Hillsborough section of the encyclopedia site.

Computers on Whitehall’s secure intranet were used again in 2012 to change the phrase “You’ll never walk alone” to “You’ll never walk again” and later “You’ll never w*** alone.”

A further amendment from a government machine includes changes to the phrase “This is Anfield”, which appears above the players’ tunnel at the club's ground, to “This is a S***hole.”

The words “nothing for the victims of the Heysel stadium disaster” were also added to a description of the Hillsborough memorial at the Reds’ stadium.

On another occasion, the description of a Bill Shankly statue on the Anfield Wikipedia page was revised to change the well-known quote “He made the people happy” to “He made a wonderful lemon drizzle cake.”

The entries were posted from IP addresses used by computers based in government departments including the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, Her Majesty's Treasury and the Office of the Solicitor General.

Sheila Coleman of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign described the edits as “absolutely disgusting” and said the families of the victims would demand a formal inquiry.

She told the ECHO: “We’re still in the inquests and we’ve sat listening to the most heart-breaking accounts of that day, and then you hear about things like this. It’s absolutely appalling, disgraceful.

“I’m just completely appalled, my God. It’s shocking that these comments came from within the government, no matter how spurious.

“The fact is that these changes came from within the government and that’s very saddening. It warrants an investigation and we will be seeking formal advice from our legal team.”

The Cabinet Office yesterday pledged to make “urgent inquiries” into the incident.

A spokeswoman said: “We thank the Liverpool ECHO for bringing this to our attention. This is a matter that we will treat with the utmost seriousness and are making urgent inquiries.

“No one should be in any doubt of the government’s position regarding the Hillsborough disaster and its support for the families of the 96 victims and all those affected by the tragedy.”

Margaret Aspinall of the Hillsborough Family Support Group said she was “saddened” and “frightened” by the news.

She said: “I don’t even know how to react, it’s just so sad.

“I hear something like that and it upsets me a great deal, it makes me incredibly sad. I’m glad somebody has found out about it but I’m frightened to be honest that we haven’t known until now.”

How the changes came to light

The vandalism posted by people with access to government computers on Hillsborough Wikipedia pages was traced through a series of IP addresses.

Computers on the Whitehall estate are linked by the Government Secure Intranet GSI), a service that allows different departments to share sensitive data securely.

The web of computers is tracked online by a handful of IP addresses, the details of which were released by Wallasey MP Angela Eagle following a parliamentary question in 2008, when she was a Treasury minister.

Analysis of Wikipedia’s revision history revealed the same unique ID codes were used to amend the Hillsborough and Anfield pages with a series of sick jokes.

Of the 34 government IP addresses known to the public, at least two were used over a three-year period to insert the phrases “Blame Liverpool fans” and “You’ll never walk again.”

However, an official inquiry is necessary to establish exactly which department and which people are responsible for the changes as the IP addresses cover thousands of Whitehall computers.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-wikipedia-insults-added-government-7029881

Name & Shame.
      LFCexiled
      Re: Hillsborough Wikipedia posts vandalised.
      Reply #1: Apr 25, 2014 07:49:02 am
      Name and shame indeed, then sack but it wouldn't surprise me if the knobhead can't be found.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #2: Apr 25, 2014 08:21:44 am
      The Whitehall whitewash personnel will as ever be up for the challenge.
      Believing as they do that anyone gives what they say an iota of credibility.
      In other words lying, duplicitous, self-seeking individuals to a man - Civil Servants personified

Name and shame indeed, then sack but it wouldn't surprise me if the knobhead can't be found.

It will be on record Ian, individuals who have access to classified data and state computers will be under the strictest security, any investigation process would begin with the security measures. If they are found wanting heads will roll until the culprit is collared.   
      « Last Edit: Apr 25, 2014 08:32:48 am by stuey »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3: Apr 25, 2014 02:25:08 pm
      Every time I think the bas**rds can't sicken me any more, something else is reported.

There truly are some horrible people around.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #4: Apr 26, 2014 09:42:14 am
      Every time I think the bas**rds can't sicken me any more, something else is reported.
      You're right on the money with that mate... sickening. It'll be interesting to see who this was: what sort of sad f**ker they allow to access government computers. I'm guessing a scummy Chelsea Chav.

KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #5: Apr 29, 2014 03:18:07 pm
      Where's the 'Anonymous Group' when you need them. They could name this scum in the time it takes Schwarzer to take a goal kick  :)
      Captain Beaky
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #6: May 22, 2014 01:42:40 am
      How comes my post wasn't allowed? This is the name and shame thread isn't it? The person I named in that thread is someone who routinely mocks the deaths of the 96, as well as Jamie Bulger and Liverpool as a whole. He was behind some of the sick postings on wikipaedia and is close mates with Old Holborn who made the news regarding his sick tweets about Hillsborough and Jamie Bulger too.

I've looked through this forum and other people have named sickos who post hateful tweets about Hillsborough etc, so I can't see that I've broken any rules? I'm not complaining about being monitored. I get that. I'm a new member. Fair enough. I just don't see why my post wasn't allowed?

Assuming this post is allowed, if people are interested they can DM me and I will give the name on there.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #7: Jun 17, 2014 09:06:04 am
      It's simply not enough that this chav c*nt has been fired. The tw@t needs to be named & shamed. The same rules and laws ought to be applied to this person as has happened previously to the people who made grievous comments in Facebook or Twitter against April Jones or the McCann's for example. Why isn't he being taken to court - it's the same thing isn't it? But no, lucky for him he had his fate dealt with by all the magnanimous families of the 96. YNWA.

Civil servant fired after Telegraph investigation into Hillsborough Wikipedia slurs
      A civil servant in Liverpool has been fired for gross misconduct after a Telegraph investigation identified the government employee who wrote 'you'll never walk again' on Wikipedia

By Oliver Duggan

6:00AM BST 17 Jun 2014

A civil servant in Liverpool has been fired for using government computers to post abuse about the Hillsborough disaster on the Wikipedia website following an investigation by The Telegraph.

The Whitehall official used the government intranet to mock the 1989 tragedy in which 96 Liverpool fans died at Sheffield Wednesday’s football ground. An inquest into the deaths is being held.

The man, an administrative officer, edited the phrase “You’ll never walk alone”, the anthem of Liverpool FC, to read: “You’ll never walk again.”

The 24 year-old later added the phrase “This is a s---hole” to the Wikipedia page for Anfield and “nothing for the victims of the Heysel disaster” to a section of the site dedicated to the Liverpool ground’s Hillsborough memorial.

An “urgent inquiry” began after the changes were disclosed in April, when the Cabinet Office said it would be almost impossible to trace the offending civil servant.
      Related Articles

However, Francis Maude, the Cabinet Office Minister, is expected to tell Parliament today that evidence unearthed by The Telegraph succesfully identified the author of the comments.

In a ministerial statement, he will inform MPs that a “junior civil servant” has been dismissed for gross misconduct after he used a Whitehall-linked computer to post the abuse.

The offender, who is from London but lives in Liverpool with his fiancĂŠe, was found after changes to the online encyclopedia were linked to his social media activity and employment history.

The suspected author was first located when his abusive edits from a government secure intranet (GSI) computer ended with a joke about the Liverpool stadium’s capacity.

He claimed that attendance at the ground was worse than Chelsea and Everton football clubs — “and even Borehamwood”, a town in Hertfordshire.

Wikipediocracy, an online community concerned with abuse of the internet, alerted The Telegraph to subsequent edits that appeared to have been made from the same government computer to Borehamwood’s dedicated Wikipedia page.

Among a cluster of changes made soon after the Hillsborough slurs, the civil servant is believed to have penned an addition to the town’s “Notable Companies” section.

He wrote critical comments about Adecco, a recruitment firm with which he had some grievances, and left biographical details about his time in the area.

Wikipediocracy and The Telegraph later traced a man with access to the GSI who had made comments about Hillsborough and Heysel on social media and was also linked to Adecco, Borehamwood, Chelsea and Everton.

The government employee grew up in Hertfordshire and his parents still live in the county. He is an avid Chelsea fan and is engaged to an Everton supporter.

It is believed that he denied any wrongdoing when interviewed by Home Office investigators. He was put on “special leave” while his work station was analysed for any evidence.

Online activity also suggests he has made sexist edits to a Wikipedia page on Natalie Sawyer, the Sky presenter about whom he has tweeted affectionately.

A source close to the Cabinet Office’s investigation said: “There has been a rigorous investigation and an individual has been dismissed for gross misconduct.The person has been dismissed on the grounds that they were responsible for the 2012 edits.

"They are a very junior and young administrative officer. This dismissal is for the 2012 edits only but in the absence of other leads relating to other edits the investigation has concluded.”

Andy Burnham, the MP who has overseen the inquiry, said: “These edits were hurtful to the families, but all the more troubling coming from a government computer.”

Margaret Aspinall, chair of Hillsborough Family Support Group, said: "We had a meeting on Friday evening and all the families agreed that his name should be withheld.

"He has been sacked, and we all took the decision not to name him because social media can be very unpleasant.

"The most important thing is that this has been dealt with and it has not been covered up. He has been punished."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10904540/Civil-servant-fired-after-Telegraph-investigation-into-Hillsborough-Wikipedia-slurs.html
      « Last Edit: Jun 17, 2014 09:30:08 am by Scally21 »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #8: Jun 17, 2014 03:27:32 pm
      He wants to F**k off back to Landan as soon as for his own safety.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #9: Jun 22, 2014 09:06:40 pm
      Absolutely sickening.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #10: Jun 25, 2014 05:19:51 pm
      Man who posted offensive Hillsborough comments on Facebook could face jail

24-year-old John Boden from Blackpool pleaded guilty in court to saying "96 wasn't enough"

A man was warned he could face jail after he admitted posting vile messages about the Hillsborough disaster on Facebook.

John Boden, 24, of Branstree Road in Mereside, Blackpool, today pleaded guilty to two counts of sending a grossly offensive message via a public electronic communications network.

Blackpoool Magistrates Court heard Boden had posted the comments about the 1989 disaster on Facebook and claimed "96 wasn't enough".

District Judge David Scanlon said: "Bearing in mind the nature of the messages and the effect on the recipients of the messages, there is a serious and genuine possibility this will attract a custodial sentence."

Philip Hall, prosecuting, said unemployed Boden had posted about the 1989 disaster after Liverpool lost 2-0 to Chelsea on April 27.

He wrote that he had "lost every bit of respect" for Liverpool fans after supporters had kept Chelsea players awake by playing music and setting off fireworks outside their hotel.

The claims were later revealed to be internet rumours.

Boden also said a Chelsea fan had been stabbed in Liverpool by a group of LFC supporters.

He went on to post sick comments about the 96 Hillsborough victims, writing "rot where they belong".

Mr Hall said: "A man saw the message on Facebook and was shocked and disgusted.

"He had been a survivor of the tragedy.

" A woman, whose brother died at Hillsborough, described the post as derogatory and vile.

"One man contacted Facebook to ask the message be deleted."

The court heard one man messaged Boden and he replied with more offensive comments about the tragedy.

Peter Manning, defending, said Boden was single, lived with his parents and suffered from mental health issues.

Mr Manning added: " He is a young man who lives a very lonely life and does not get out much except to go out to medical appointments.

"He lives the life of a hermit in his bedroom. He realises what he did was wrong and caused a great deal of distress. He has expressed remorse."

Boden was bailed for pre-sentence reports to be prepared.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/man-who-posted-offensive-hillsborough-7326161?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #11: Jun 25, 2014 06:40:19 pm
      24, wasn't even born.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #12: Jun 25, 2014 08:52:00 pm
      its hard to believe but on some forums people and I use the term loosely still think they had something to do with the tragedy.This is a very sick world we live in.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #13: Jun 25, 2014 09:16:18 pm
      its hard to believe but on some forums people and I use the term loosely still think they had something to do with the tragedy.This is a very sick world we live in.

It's alright mate, I think as a collective they are called sun readers!

Quick Reply