Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

John Bishop donation

Read 4268 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,053 posts | 2744 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      John Bishop donation
      May 05, 2014 02:56:36 pm
      Comedian John Bishop has donated £96,000 to the Hillsborough Family Support Group after being moved by personal statements delivered by the victims' families at their inquests.

The 47-year-old said "reading the statements has brought home to me once more the individual loss that so many suffered".

Ninety-six Liverpool fans died after a crush at the Sheffield stadium in 1989.

The support group said they were grateful for the donation.

The comedian was one of thousands of fans who paid tribute to those who died in front of the Kop at Liverpool's Anfield ground in the days after the disaster.

'Never walk alone'

He said that "in 1989, I laid flowers to pay my respects to those who had lost their lives and show support to their families".

He added: "Today, making a donation to help assist in bringing the end closer seems more appropriate.

"The dignity with which the families have sought justice for over a quarter of a century is a lesson to us all.

"They are the best of us and will never walk alone."

John Bishop (left) playing at Anfield The comedian played in a charity match at Anfield in April
      He added that the donation was "no more important than any other donation from any other individual trying to support the families over the last 25 years".

In April, the Liverpool-born comedian took part in a charity football match at Anfield held to celebrate the lives of the 96 fans who died in the 1989 Hillsborough disaster.

The inquests, set to last a year, were ordered after new evidence revealed by the Hillsborough Independent Panel led to the original inquest verdicts being quashed.

Background statements about the victims have been given by their relatives and are the first time any court has heard how the disaster impacted on individual families.

Fair play to John a fabulous gesture
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: John Bishop donation
      Reply #1: May 05, 2014 03:57:15 pm
      Fair play indeed Brian.

Nice gesture.

I have been reading those statements too, it really brings home. It usually ends up with a tear being shed. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #2: May 05, 2014 05:05:48 pm
      Sound lad is John.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #3: May 09, 2014 07:46:39 pm
      Nice one Bish.