Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Fixing up the Defense

Read 1499 times
      djb447
      • Forum Michael Robinson
      • Started Topic

• 53 posts |
      • I always tell the truth, even when I lie
      Fixing up the Defense
      Jul 08, 2014 11:13:19 am
      Hello, I am new here. I want to discuss and share thoughts about how our transfer season is going, specifically the defense.

Lambert was a steal and Lallana is entering his prime. Emre Can is another prospect (who seemed confident in his first training session at melwood)

Concerning our yet to come players:
      It looks like getting Lazar Markovic and divock origi, and possibly signing 1-2 more attacking options (like shaqiri) will wrap up our new incoming attackers.
      There is great potential in markovic and origi, and shaqiri is the real deal. I will admit though, markovic is a little overpriced.
      But, so far not bad.

My main concern is with our shaky defense that allowed 50 goals last season.

Alberto Moreno deal is not going through and Southampton is trying to hold on to lovren.
      Lovren isn't bad, he is basically a younger and less scary skrtel. However, 20 million is too much for him. He isn't really an upgrade but will give Sakho, Skrtel (and Agger, if we manage to keep him) some competition. Lovren is a  top 15-10 epl center back

Our central defensive midfielder options should be boosted by Emre Can.BR plans to make him a long term replacement for Gerrard. For next season, I expect Gerrard to start less games or get less minutes due to age and Can's presence. Can can also play left back but that is not what we got him for.

Our full backs are one of our biggest concerns, if not the biggest.
      With Moreno deal looking off, I cannot stress how important it is to get Ricardo Rodriguez. Jose Enrique is back but he is too injury prone. He is good but has had an unreliable past couple seasons due to injury. Ricardo Rodriguez is the next big fullback in the sport. We can get him with Suarez funds. He can't cost more than 40 mil at MAX. He is young(turning 22 next month) and has impressed in world cup and past season with Wolfsburg. He is one of the best leftbacks in Europe and is only getting better. He can easily break into the starting 11. Also, Rodriguez would fit the attacking philosophy of BR, he is good at crossing and provides plenty of key passes. Enrique can be used as a bench option (Flanagan can be used if Enrique gets injured, AGAIN).
      For our right back issue, we can use Johnson as bench and Flanagan as starting, or vice versa. Regarding who to buy, Lucas pcizek from Dortmund comes to mind but it will be hard to pry him away from Jürgen klopp. Other names include Serge aurier who has impressed at world cup, and Gregory van Der wiel. Wiel is currently easing back into routine after a successful recovery from injury but he was good in the past season.

Regarding our keepers, I say we test it out with Mignolet or use reina if Mignolet is insufficient. Navas from Costa Rica would be really nice to have. He could probably be starter.
      Fixing up our defense could ease the burden on our keepers

So yah, these are my thoughts regarding who to buy. Ricardo Rodriguez should be high on our priorities. So what do guys think?
        xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      MattJL
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Re: Fixing up the Defense
      Reply #1: Jul 08, 2014 08:46:15 pm
      Rodriguez is clearly a talented player, but we can't afford to be spending 30m+ on one fullback considering we need a replacement for Luis. Also you call Markovic and Lovren overpriced but is it really worth the money for a fullback who is unproven in the EPL?

I absolutely agree that fullback is a massive problem area for us - as soon as I saw Cissokho on the team sheet I feared the worst. Piszczek would be a brilliant addition, but at 29 he has already peaked, yet would require a high fee. I also agree that a keeper is an absolute must. Mignolet looked shaky at times last season and it looks like Reina is on his way out - we have been linked with Ochoa who may be a risk but from what I've heard it would be a free transfer.

For me I would like to see a commanding centre back more than anything. Our defence was often disorganised last season and there was a clear lack of communication. Hummels comes to mind but he looks set for United (although at 20m I can't see why we haven't put in a bid for him). Lovren would certainly be a welcome addition but I don't see how he could improve our back line.
      djb447
      • Forum Michael Robinson
      • Started Topic

• 53 posts |
      Reply #2: Jul 09, 2014 03:11:11 am
      I am a Liverpool fan as well as a Dortmund fan. I think Hummels won't leave Dortmund. He likes playing there and likes klopp. His father also said that he wouldn't leave. Also he would be wanting to win champions league after being so close 2 years ago. United won't be able to offer the chance to play in champions league. Only way is he leaves is if he gets greedy(I seriously doubt it), or if BVB sells him to United if BVB feel confident in sokratis and subotic, who has just returned to training from long injury. Or if United could sweeten deal by offering kagawa back to his former team.
      Hummels has been one of favorite players for past 2 years and it would kill me to see him leave. It would especially hurt to see him play for Liverpool's enemy United.

Concerning Rodriguez, my 6th sense won't stop bothering me till we sign him. I hear United is after him. I would be horrified if we passed up on him and he ended fulfilling his potential for my enemy. Damn united. They piss me off. I'm rooting against Holland since LVG is the manager (though I don't mind kuyt). Damn LVG for joining man utd.  :mad:  :f_steam:

My sixth sense also told me that Suarez was gonna be really good when we got him. It also told me Chelsea were getting the real deal after I saw hazard playing with Lille.

I just know Rodriguez is gonna be big. His stats don't lie, he really is good. I know he's not proven in EPL, but some things, you just feel it before they happen.My wild animal instinct is telling me we should get Rodriguez, and I believe we should.

Actually, Lovren could help out anyway since we need a bigger squad for the coming season.

Concerning keepers, if not risky Ochoa, then Navas of Costa Rica. Levante is wanting to sell him. His release clause is 8 or 10 million. His suitors include Atletico Madrid and Bayern Munich. I doubt levante would sell to teams in their same league, especially one that won the title,so atleti is pretty Much out of the equation. Bayern has Neuer, they don't need him as much and has not shown a great interest so far. It would be nice to have either Ochoa or Navas but we would need to deal away with reina or Mignolet
      djb447
      • Forum Michael Robinson
      • Started Topic

• 53 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 09, 2014 03:16:41 am
      Oh and tell cissokho to get the hell out.
      That fool doesn't belong here
       ;D
      djb447
      • Forum Michael Robinson
      • Started Topic

• 53 posts |
      Reply #4: Jul 09, 2014 08:28:09 pm
      We should get Xherdan Shaqiri with the Suarez funds. If Barcelona isn't willing to pay the whole cash deal up front, Liverpool may not sell Suarez.
      I hear barca might pay a huge part like 54 mil up front and the rest later. It would be nice to keep Suarez but he has history. Also he wouldn't be allowed to train for 4 months, that would result in him needing even more time getting into shape and more time getting used to the playing for the team, getting used to the new players, and tactics of the manager.
      He will have a tough time getting back to the level he was, for whichever team he is on.
      If he ends up in Barcelona, then FIFAlona might get him a reduced ban.

So basically we should get shaqiri if Suarez leaves.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #5: Jul 09, 2014 10:37:38 pm
      Oh and tell cissokho to get the hell out.
      That fool doesn't belong here
       ;D

Cissokho treated the club and the supporters with the utmost respect; which is a lot more than I can say of others I have seen.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6: Jul 10, 2014 12:38:19 am
      I actually didn't think Cissokho was that bad, his defense was admirable and I felt he offered more balance and width than Flanno, but what let Cissokho down was his poor distribution and attack.

I actually thought Cissokho was better than Flanno as a left back and would've been happy to see us sign him as cover for Enrique :)
      djb447
      • Forum Michael Robinson
      • Started Topic

• 53 posts |
      Reply #7: Jul 10, 2014 07:24:12 am
      I don't think we should go for Ben Davies.
      Ricardo Rodriguez is a much better option

Quick Reply