Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Steven Caulker (Cardiff)

Read 8649 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,384 posts | 2823 
      Steven Caulker (Cardiff)
      May 10, 2014 05:14:11 pm
      Liverpool set to land Steven Caulker in coming months after missing out on Cardiff defender last summer
      Liverpool are ready to capitalise on Cardiff's relegation to finally land Steven Caulker.

Reds boss Brendan Rodgers wanted Caulker last summer but Spurs refused to sell to their rivals.

They instead flogged former England U21 and Great Britain stopper Caulker to Cardiff for a smaller £8million fee but with a 50 % sell-on clause.

The Bluebirds captain, 22, has had a decent campaign despite the Welsh club being bottom.

He has scored five goals and Rodgers, who had Caulker on loan at Swansea in 2011/2012, now wants to finally get his man.

Caulker has a relegation release clause which Liverpool now plan to activate.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-steven-caulker-3520084#ixzz31KV6aSZA

BBC also reporting the buyout clause.

Not sure what to make of this really. Would be a good 4th choice if we move Kolo on and loan Ilori out again but I'm not sure he's that leader we're looking for at the back.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Steven Caulker (Cardiff)
      Reply #1: May 10, 2014 05:34:37 pm
      Not excited by this. We need a top quality addition at the back, Caulker is just semi decent IMO.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2: May 10, 2014 06:32:20 pm
      Not watched enough of the lad to make an honest appraisal. I have heard plenty about him though and he's consistently named as the best player for Cardiff this year. In a team that has conceded 72 goals and you're a defender still to come out on top must suggest you've been doing something right or everyone else has been total and utter crap of course.

A very strange move to buy a CB from the bottom club in the league when you're finishing in the top 2, part of that actually makes me like the deal in an odd way. They must see something they like and I'm not going to knock the idea just because they're getting relegated so will reserve judgement until I've seen the lad play a few times.

If it's true we've been after him that long then it's clear this season he's done nothing to put us off. One to keep an eye on this one as I actually do believe we're in for him.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: May 10, 2014 06:44:02 pm
      Not watched enough of the lad to make an honest appraisal.

I'd be in same boat. Guess BR knows him from his time in Swansea, maybe he sees something in him. When he was at Spurs playing, thought he looked decent, but not one that shouted 'sign me'. But again, haven't seen enough of him to have opinion one way or the other.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4: May 10, 2014 06:48:03 pm
      I haven't watched much of Cardiff but I really liked this guy at Swansea. I was actually surprised when Spurs sold him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #5: May 10, 2014 06:49:43 pm
      He looks a good player from the very little I've seen of him.

Brendan knows him well so if we buy him then he obviously feels he's worth it.
      The Lark
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 12 
      Reply #6: May 10, 2014 07:14:13 pm
      Don't know much about him but it's not a marquee signing, is it?

Maybe Brendan is trying to get in plenty of "decent" players to increase the squad size, with an extra competition to play in next year.  When the WC is over, maybe we go for "top class" targets (I hope).

With the improvement this year, it would be unthinkable that we didn't get in at least 1 player of top quality - availability and clubs not wanting to sell, might be factors, of course.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #7: May 10, 2014 07:18:41 pm

Not all of our signings will be or need to be. I'd be concerned if this was our only signing but it won't be, plus I actually think he's an excellent defender.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #8: May 10, 2014 07:58:25 pm
      I think caulker is a good option. Also a calmer head than sakho at the back and handy going forward. I could see a caulker/skrtel combination playing well.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #9: May 10, 2014 08:08:22 pm

Don;t care if it's a marquee signing or not, as long as it makes me pitch a tent.  :)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,264 posts | 2825 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: May 10, 2014 08:58:07 pm
      Obviously bigger names out there and maybe well still be looking at 1 but to be fair he seems to get good reports back on most of his games and I couldn't give a toss if hes not a big enough name if he helps shore up our defence next season
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #11: May 10, 2014 11:51:35 pm
      Not seen a lot of him but when I did watch him he was either scoring or picking up MOTM so if we do indeed buy him then ill trust Brendans judgment in believing he's good enough for us.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #12: May 11, 2014 08:15:28 am
      Should be getting him cheap, not too fussed about signing him to be honest, no more than the $8m he went to Cardiff for
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: May 11, 2014 09:27:13 am
      Scenario: Say we do sign Caulker, could that mean Agger is on his way out? Bare in mind for a minute, part of the reason Caulker left Spurs was because he wanted first time football on a regular basis...

‘It wasn’t that I wanted to leave Tottenham but I am at a stage in my career where I want to play regular football,’ said the 21-year-old defender. (Metro) but a direct quote all the same.

Link for the rest of the article: http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/02/steven-caulker-admits-he-left-tottenham-because-he-feared-being-fourth-choice-3909270/

If he comes then don't expect him to be 4th choice or "back up".
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #14: May 11, 2014 09:36:04 am
      Scenario: Say we do sign Caulker, could that mean Agger is on his way out? Bare in mind for a minute, part of the reason Caulker left Spurs was because he wanted first time football on a regular basis...

‘It wasn’t that I wanted to leave Tottenham but I am at a stage in my career where I want to play regular football,’ said the 21-year-old defender. (Metro) but a direct quote all the same.

Link for the rest of the article: http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/02/steven-caulker-admits-he-left-tottenham-because-he-feared-being-fourth-choice-3909270/]

If he comes then don't expect him to be 4th choice or "back up".

The expectation would be to challenge Skrtel and may be eventually replace him as the 1st choice RCB. Sakho & Agger will be the LCBs obviously
      The Lark
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 12 
      Reply #15: May 11, 2014 10:08:34 am

The expectation would be to challenge Skrtel and may be eventually replace him as the 1st choice RCB. Sakho & Agger will be the LCBs obviously

Where does that leave Ilori, Toure, Coates, even Kelly?

I expect Coates to leave, Toure might also go, Kelly might not be seen as a CB.  Ilori definitely is and CB and might not be keen on more loan moves...

Also, we know that defence has been our major weakness this term, I would expect more arrivals in that area than Caulker so I think Agger or Skrtel will leave - maybe both if the right replacement(s) are found.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #16: May 11, 2014 10:22:28 am

I expect Coates to leave, Toure might also go, Kelly might not be seen as a CB.  Ilori definitely is and CB and might not be keen on more loan moves...

Also, we know that defence has been our major weakness this term, I would expect more arrivals in that area than Caulker so I think Agger or Skrtel will leave - maybe both if the right replacement(s) are found.

Skrtel, caulker, vertonghen, Sakho, illori, Kelly. That'll do for me.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #17: May 11, 2014 10:27:07 am

I think Illori will have another year out on loan, then will eventually replace Agger..

Next season with additional games we will look to go in with

Rcb
      Caulker (or another)
      Skrtel

Lcb
      Agger
      Sakho

The others I think will leave

That offers decent balance to the squad
      The Lark
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 12 
      Reply #18: May 11, 2014 12:16:29 pm
      I think Illori will have another year out on loan, then will eventually replace Agger..

Next season with additional games we will look to go in with

Rcb
      Caulker (or another)
      Skrtel

Lcb
      Agger
      Sakho

The others I think will leave

That offers decent balance to the squad

So we address our biggest issue with a decent defender from the bottom club, who conceded the 2nd highest amount?  I don't much/enough improvement there.

I'm hopeful that if Caulker will comes in, it will be as backup to whichever 2 are going to start regularly.  I'd hope that would be one top class CB with Skrtel/Agger or two new top class with Caulker & Skrtel/Agger as backup.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #19: May 11, 2014 12:28:46 pm
      So we address our biggest issue with a decent defender from the bottom club, who conceded the 2nd highest amount?  I don't much/enough improvement there.

I'm hopeful that if Caulker will comes in, it will be as backup to whichever 2 are going to start regularly.  I'd hope that would be one top class CB with Skrtel/Agger or two new top class with Caulker & Skrtel/Agger as backup.

I can't say I've watched him week in week out, but all these players are good players, some can thrive under different coaches.

I remember some peoples reaction to the potential Sturridge signing.

It's a rumour currently, nothing more, I was just saying it makes sense us looking at a right footer as another option.. Whoever that option is

As for the goals we have conceded  I'm of the mind we need to look at other areas than just the two center backs for full blame. There are numerous reasons we conceded goals and it's not just on the two there
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #20: May 11, 2014 12:43:47 pm
      No! Just no!
      The Lark
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 12 
      Reply #21: May 11, 2014 01:12:36 pm
      Agreed - we can't lay blame solely at the feet of the CB pairings we've had.  The whole defence and the rest of the team are responsible for keeping the opposition out, but those who sit at the heart of defence have to be better than they have been this season.

I also think we need to strengthen at full back.  Johnson is very hot and cold and Flanno is still young despite having a great season.  We have little or no cover for these.  Enrique has been out all season and his defensive duties are suspect at best, Kelly doesn't seem to be fancied - as shown when playing Flanno at RB and letting Cissokho on the field.  At a push, Agger can play LB and Toure RB, but that's not the quality needed to improve on this year's form.

I have nothing against Caulker, I just hoped we'd shopping slightly more up-market given we are back in the CL and defence is our biggest weakness.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #22: May 11, 2014 09:22:52 pm
      Not excited by this. We need a top quality addition at the back, Caulker is just semi decent IMO.

He wasn't deemed good enough spurs, so why would we want/need him? Then again it was AVB who got rid of. Imo though we need a leader at the back. Another Carra, or john terry type figure.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #23: May 11, 2014 09:31:10 pm
      Let's be honest, nobody can be less composed on the ball than Sahko, and I think Toure will be let go.
      Definitely need a revamp at the back whatever.
      Sissoko and Johnson should be shifted out as well
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #24: May 11, 2014 09:36:14 pm
      Let's be honest, nobody can be less composed on the ball than Sahko, and I think Toure will be let go.
      Definitely need a revamp at the back whatever.
      Sissoko and Johnson should be shifted out as well

Definitely agree about Johnson,  but how old is cissohko? Is he young enough to be able to "make" better?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #25: May 11, 2014 09:45:25 pm
      Definitely agree about Johnson,  but how old is cissohko? Is he young enough to be able to "make" better?

You really want us to sign Cissokho permanently after his performances this season?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #26: May 11, 2014 09:54:37 pm
      He wasn't deemed good enough spurs, so why would we want/need him? Then again it was AVB who got rid of. Imo though we need a leader at the back. Another Carra, or john terry type figure.

Who didn't have too shabby a Spurs record, especially in defence.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #27: May 11, 2014 10:43:51 pm
      Let's be honest, nobody can be less composed on the ball than Sahko

Have a word with yourself.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #28: May 11, 2014 10:50:47 pm
      Haven't we learned our lesson about buying big fish from small ponds yet? Is this lad really going to go from relegated Cardiff to dominating Europe's Elite in the Champion's league? I think we can do a lot better than this.

Why? He's right.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #29: May 11, 2014 11:02:57 pm
      You really want us to sign Cissokho permanently after his performances this season?

Never said that. Just thought that possibly he could get better alà Henderson due to his age. Yes his performances haven't been thebest in the limited gametime he's had. But he has pace and a seemingly good work ethic. His touch has been admittedly poor at times but how much can be contributed to nervousness/lack of experience in a new league? A highly pressured and fast league at that.

And if we want to talk about defensive performances, well then basically no-one is getting off scott free after conceding 50 league goals and PROBABLY costing us winning the league.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #30: May 11, 2014 11:38:16 pm
      And if we want to talk about defensive performances, well then basically no-one is getting off scott free after conceding 50 league goals and PROBABLY costing us winning the league.

This is a tiresome argument. Liverpool lost six games. Chelsea lost six games. City (Champions) lost six games. It wasn't the defence that cost us, it was the timing of those games that did. Yes, our defence is leakier than an old bucket but when we only lost the same number of games as the Champions then not winning the title can't really be blamed on the defence.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #31: May 11, 2014 11:52:13 pm
      This is a tiresome argument. Liverpool lost six games. Chelsea lost six games. City (Champions) lost six games. It wasn't the defence that cost us, it was the timing of those games that did. Yes, our defence is leakier than an old bucket but when we only lost the same number of games as the Champions then not winning the title can't really be blamed on the defence.

UTTER BALLS! Chucking away a 3 goal lead last week through shoddy defending. Having to score 4 to beat Swansea at Anfield. What about Stoke away? Or Cardiff away?

Conceded as many as Palace FFS, who were pretty much awful until Pulis turned their fortunes around. We've had a fantastic season, but had the defence been solid as a top 4 teams defence should, it would be Liverpool lifting the league trophy, and not city.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #32: May 11, 2014 11:56:27 pm

Stop talking sh*t. We conceded 50 goals ffs!
      miguelred
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts |
      Reply #33: May 11, 2014 11:58:45 pm

Totally agree
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #34: May 12, 2014 12:00:10 am

How many did we score?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #35: May 12, 2014 12:02:48 am

Not enough to come first!
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #36: May 12, 2014 12:06:10 am

Enough to come second so give it a rest. We conceded 40 goals 11/12 and finished 8th
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #37: May 12, 2014 12:08:21 am

101 scored.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #38: May 12, 2014 12:23:51 am

Enough to come second so give it a rest. We conceded 40 goals 11/12 and finished 8th

Give it a rest yourself and stop deluding yourself that our defence is fine! It's far from fine and needs to be/will be addressed accordingly. How far do you think we'll progress in CL leaking goals in this manner? Barca, both Madrids, Bayern would turn us over with posession/speed of movement.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #39: May 12, 2014 12:26:20 am
      Give it a rest yourself and stop deluding yourself that our defence is fine! It's far from fine and needs to be/will be addressed accordingly. How far do you think we'll progress in CL leaking goals in this manner? Barca, both Madrids, Bayern would turn us over with posession/speed of movement.

Obviously it's an issue but nows not the time to be whining about conceding too many goals it's a time to bask in the fact we scored 100+ league goals
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #40: May 12, 2014 12:54:04 am
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #41: May 12, 2014 03:00:35 am
      Come on here to read about Caulker ....
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #42: May 12, 2014 03:56:26 am
      Come on here to read about Caulker ....

Thought the same thing.....

On the topic of Caulker, I'd pass as I don't think he's any better than any of our current crop. 
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #43: May 12, 2014 05:40:41 am

Funnily, I think we would turn over the teams you have mentioned with possession/speed of movement.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #44: May 12, 2014 08:19:03 am
      Funnily, I think we would turn over the teams you have mentioned with possession/speed of movement.

With all due respect, peps bayern, same as his barca, destroy absolutely everyone with possession.  Including better teams than currently our own.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #45: May 12, 2014 08:51:48 am

He's not.

Sakho may well look uncomposed on the ball but hr he is far from it.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #46: May 12, 2014 10:10:14 am

O.K. look. First off, let's be clear here. There's a distinction to between our defenders ability to operate within BR's system (i.e. "Defend") and our defence being responsible for missing out on the title over the course of an entire season. Liverpool lost the same number of games as Chelsea and finished the campaign two points clear of them due to drawing six times as opposed to their seven times. Yet Chelsea, despite the fact that they finished below us, are regarded to have the best defence in the league. Well clearly they don't because they finished with less points than us and that's the entire point I'm making. Points win titles. Goals conceded only come in to it if there's a tie on the points tally and then only by goal difference. We lost to City because Mason screwed us. We lost to Chelsea at Anfield because Gerrard slipped allowing Ba in on goal. That's four points dropped, enough to have won the league. Was our defence to blame for that? Again I'll say it, our defence is sh*t and needs an overhaul but is it solely to blame for not winning the title? If only it was as cut and dry as that.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #47: May 12, 2014 10:54:13 am
      Liverpool are considering a summer move for Cardiff's Steven Caulker as manager Brendan Rodgers seeks to improve his defence for next season, sources have told ESPN FC

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1818340/liverpool-weighing-deal-cardiff-defender-steven-caulker?cc=4716
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #48: May 12, 2014 11:11:58 am
      Came on here to read about transfer targets.  If you wanna argue like school girls start another thread and piss off clogging this thread up with stuff that does not concern Caulker.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #49: May 12, 2014 12:37:35 pm
      Well I'm always accused of being negative. However, I actually quite like what I've seen of Caulker.
      And I've seen quite a bit of him.

He's a fast, elegant defender, with an impressive physique. You always see him looking around trying to anticipate. He's actually bigger than you'd think (atleast if the stats are to be believed).
      Because he has terrific mobility. Apparently taller/as tall as than players like Stam, Vidic and Ferdinand.

Ofcourse he's been in a sh*te team, so the danger is that that had flattered him. (Read Carroll, Henderson etc).

The big question is how our whole team will set up defensively. And what the mix will be across the "back 6 or7" ie goalie to midfield.

Ofcourse some people were fuming when Sami was signed ("whats this 2.7m sh*te from some shitend of a football club"). But Sami wound up one of our best ever.

Back to Caulker, he's only 22, but already has a maturity. Many defenders (think Mark Wright, Tony Adams etc, develop MUCH later). I wouldn't complain at all if he signed.

I wonder if we'll see a 2nd centreback too? A real destroyer..?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #50: May 12, 2014 12:58:34 pm
      O.K. look. First off, let's be clear here. There's a distinction to between our defenders ability to operate within BR's system (i.e. "Defend") and our defence being responsible for missing out on the title over the course of an entire season. Liverpool lost the same number of games as Chelsea and finished the campaign two points clear of them due to drawing six times as opposed to their seven times. Yet Chelsea, despite the fact that they finished below us, are regarded to have the best defence in the league. Well clearly they don't because they finished with less points than us and that's the entire point I'm making. Points win titles. Goals conceded only come in to it if there's a tie on the points tally and then only by goal difference. We lost to City because Mason screwed us. We lost to Chelsea at Anfield because Gerrard slipped allowing Ba in on goal. That's four points dropped, enough to have won the league. Was our defence to blame for that? Again I'll say it, our defence is sh*t and needs an overhaul but is it solely to blame for not winning the title? If only it was as cut and dry as that.

Can you please remind me what the goal difference was between us and Citeh? Even if we hadn't fecked it up against Palace we would still not have won. Now ask yourself would that have been because of the lack of goals scored or amount of goals conceded, hint we scored more or less the same number of goals as Citeh.
      One other thing to remember please, next season we are in the CL where having a solid defence becomes much more important so yes we need to improve the defence, it is the number 1 priority this transfer period. As for Caulker, I trust Brendan's judgement on him, but where we really need to strengthen is at RB, so many goals were conceded form that flank, i.e Glen.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #51: May 12, 2014 02:33:44 pm
      Came on here to read about transfer targets.  If you wanna argue like school girls start another thread and piss off clogging this thread up with stuff that does not concern Caulker.

It's absolutely relevant if it's a position that Caulker could potentially be playing. Targets have relevance if they are to replace or battle current squad members for a spot in the starting 11.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #52: May 12, 2014 11:30:59 pm
      It was a mixture of not protecting the defence enough and defending too deep. Sakho and Skrtel don't work. Would be interesting seeing them with ilori as his pace may give them confidence to play a higher line.

We need to replace Agger. Him and Skrtel don't work well (see Swansea), and he gets outpaced too easily. I love him and he is a red but we need a world class new centre back to partner sakho and Skrtel. Caulker is good but not that good.

We need at least one full back. Replacing 3 of the starting back 4 is a big gamble so I would probably go

Johnson new cb sakho new lb
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #53: May 13, 2014 12:23:17 am
      I think the lad is decent but plays the sort of defensive game that contradicts Brendan's style.

Doesn't have the composure on the ball that I think is neccessary to play in our system, in saying that though the areas he excels in are his athleticism and aerial abillity two attributes that were amiss throughout the season and responsible for the goal leakage.

I would take a punt on the lad but nothing in excess of 3-4m/
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Reply #54: May 13, 2014 01:18:16 pm
      A very strange move to buy a CB from the bottom club in the league when you're finishing in the top 2

Agree entirely.  Not just that - but as a captain I don't see how he is going to be mentally capable to go from relegation to the missing ingredient to land a title.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #55: May 13, 2014 01:28:36 pm
      Makes a nice change to be linked with a younger defensive player. Most of the players we seem to have been linked to Sagna, Williams, Masch, Cole are at the latter end of their careers. Hardly the FSG philosophy in action.

I think Caulker looks the type who will improve under Brendan. Good in the air, decent pace (?), just needs experience and a bit more composure on the ball. 
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #56: May 14, 2014 08:35:38 am
      Honestly, from the little I have seen of him, I'd very much so have him here if I thought we needed some depth in the CB department but I genuinely don't think we do (Skrtel, Toure, Agger, Sahko, Coates, Ilori).  The fact his team got relegated would actually make me consider the lad now (if we can learn to not get mugged for him) and loan him out for a season because I think he looks quite good but it might mean sacrificing someone like Agger for it, something I'd consider (and probably agree to if we didn't have European competition this season).
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #57: May 23, 2014 09:20:07 pm
      Cardiff fans seem to think he's on his way to us.

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=msg&th=389892&start=0&rid=0

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,701 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #58: May 24, 2014 07:34:23 am
      I don't want to be bombarded but I like him a lot. He is a player that will improve much under Brendan. I disagree with the relegation argument because I think that he was one of the best players under Malky Mackay (who himself was a defender).
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #59: May 24, 2014 10:32:31 am
      I just hope he and Emre Can are not dud buys. Could see us waste potentially over £20m and that would be a real shame, especially as we've been guilty of that every single summer.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #60: May 24, 2014 10:45:13 am
      I just hope he and Emre Can are not dud buys. Could see us waste potentially over £20m and that would be a real shame, especially as we've been guilty of that every single summer.

hate us to repeat past mistakes, buying largely unproven players is a big gamble...
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #61: May 24, 2014 10:48:16 am
      hate us to repeat past mistakes, buying largely unproven players is a big gamble...

And buying known players isn't?  I'm sure Rodgers will have done due diligence with any player he's after, after all he has got a bigger scouting network than Robert Baden-Powell.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #62: May 24, 2014 10:52:49 am
      And buying known players isn't?  I'm sure Rodgers will have done due diligence with any player he's after, after all he has got a bigger scouting network than Robert Baden-Powell.

fair point, and Rodgers does seem to thrive on coaching youngsters, as for Baden Powell there have been suggestions that his interest in youngsters wasn't exactly innocent.

Quick Reply