Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Thoughts on our season

Read 12956 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Re: Thoughts on our season
      Reply #23: May 11, 2014 08:36:28 pm
      Great season - exceeded expectations.
      Disappointed that we didn't win it when we did have a chance. The Chelsea slip was the key moment that cost us. But proud of the way we played in the second half of the season, including that Chelsea game.
      I'd still like us to bring back Steve Clark to tighten us up at the back. I think it would help us psychologically as well as tactically. But overall we improved a lot over the course of the season and are now a genuinely good side, and entertaining as hell to watch, easily the most exciting in the prem.

We came close to winning it with the squad we have - 2 or 3 good additions in the summer, and a wee bit more tactical/organisational tweaking, and we have a real chance again next season.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #24: May 11, 2014 08:47:23 pm
      Although it was a fantastic season in terms of how much we've improved - from 7th to 2nd, it's still bittersweet because we threw the title away. That kind of thing can knock you back or become a useful experience to learn from. For us I think it's the latter and we'll continue to get better next season. Not only is the team young but Brendan Rodgers is far from finished in his own development. He's shown so far what he can do and he should now know what final tweaks the team needs. Hopefully he'll be backed in the transfer market this summer and gets his first choice signings, whoever they may be.

Onwards and upwards and who else is can't wait for European nights at Anfield again  ;D
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #25: May 11, 2014 09:23:29 pm
      I think it's exceptionally tough on us to say we threw the title away. It was tight all along n no matter what the media may say it was never really ours to lose. In 14 games we lost a tough game against against a team that made the CL semis n granted we choked against palace but after today's result whether we drew or won on Monday night was irrelevant neways. We did amazing to finish where we did, against all expectations and reawakened this club from top to bottom in the process. Let's not let this disappointed drag us down and carry through the same fire into next season. Let's see the same flag waving zeal from the fans from the start of next season and see were it gets us. This is gone, next season WE GO AGAIN!
      « Last Edit: May 11, 2014 09:54:49 pm by poolio_54 »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #26: May 11, 2014 09:58:17 pm
      Firstly, I'll never say we threw it away. I'm a firm believer that to win the title, you have to lose it. Even more so with a team as young and inexperienced as ours. City got lucky, not this year but two years ago when they did lose it but somehow managed to claw it back on the same day. We didn't quite manage to repeat it but we gave it a hell of a go. To win 12, draw 1 and lose just 1 in your last 14 games is absolutely incredible by any standards but I think we just left ourselves a bit too much to do with those back to back defeats in the Christmas period.

It's rare that we don't win anything and I still call a season a success but I can't get away from it, this was a successful season. Not only did we climb from 7th to 2nd (when did someone last do that?!) but we did in such a wonderful way. A stunning style of football. I've watched a fair bit of football in my time and I don't think I've ever seen a team genuinely look like they are going to score with every attack in the way we have. And it's built on a core of English players, in a time when the national side is struggling and we hear every week about the lack of local lads in the top flight there we are playing the best football in the league with SIX English regulars. Amongst them Sterling, who's probably the best young player in the league and Henderson who's the most improved. Chuck in a Uruguayan genius and the best young manager in the world and that's quite something.

But the greatest thing of all I've seen this season has been the togetherness in the squad. It's another 'best ever' for me - never have I seen a Liverpool squad look so united as one. Might be a bit of a strange thing to point out but the way we celebrate goals is just incredible, everyone diving on each other - just pure joy. The celebrations for Flanno's first ever goal were a personal highlight for me.

But now we move on. In the words of our captain - we go again. We need to channel the hurt the lads are feeling tonight and use it as our fuel for next season. We have to take advantage of the position we're in and buy top class players. If we do that we're going to be saying hello to the glory days very soon - I've never felt so sure about it.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #27: May 11, 2014 10:33:20 pm
      Just come across an article comparing the difference in final league positions if only English people had scored. It made me even more proud of not only our club but also of Brendan Rodgers for giving so many English players the opportunity to ply their trade in the best league in the world and for helping them improve their game so much.

Some of the interesting/important finishes where only goals from English players mattered:
      1st: Liverpool - 49 of our 101 goals were scored by English players
      2nd: Southampton - 38 of 54 goals
      3rd: Man United - 36 of 64
      4th: Everton - 19 of 61
      9th: Chelsea - 10 of 71
      11th: Arsenal - 11 of 68
      15th: Spurs - 9 of 55
      18th: Man City - 4 of 102

Personally, I think it is disgraceful that the team who won the ENGLISH league title only had 4 goals of their eventual 102 scored by English players. Couldn't be more proud of our lads!!

I've saved the tables to my documents but I have no idea how to attach them on here. I've posted the link so that people can look at them though.
      http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/05/11/upshot/up-soccer-table.html?_r=1
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #28: May 11, 2014 10:51:46 pm
      Love how the thickle media are picking apart the team, the same media that didn't give us a chance of top 4 at start of season and were falling over themselves to lick our backsides 2 weeks ago. F**k them, we'll go again

Great season. So so many highs, so few lows. Can't wait for it to start all over again
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #29: May 11, 2014 11:01:04 pm
      Thoughts ? It reminds me that I hate losing . Period . Will no doubt accept that 2nd is a good result in context of 7th last year , injuries , bans and the like . But I hate coming second best to anyone - even if they are 'better' than me.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #30: May 11, 2014 11:02:32 pm
      Another season over.....

Nuff respect to Phil Dowd for issuing that yellow card when Newcastle players borrowed the delay tactics a la Chelsea.

We came second in the league. A big improvement from last season. Gutted though, that we came this close to winning the league.

F**k Jose Mourinho and his gutter tactics that should have had his players yellow-carded for deliberate delays.

F**k Chelsea!

F**k Everton's keeper Tim Howard whom I believed deliberately allowed some cheap goals in; from Aguero and the header from Dzeko, to give ManCity the win; thereby tilting the Premiership title in their favour. I hope they lose Mirallas, Barkley, Naismith and their manager.

F**k Chelsea again.

TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #31: May 12, 2014 12:08:37 am
      I'm delighted with how the season has gone. No one would have expected us to finish where we did. Of course I'm devastated we never won it after being so close but the players and staff will learn from mistakes. We'll bring in players,get rid of some,regroup and come back bigger and better. It's only the beginning my friends.

Just saw Hansen on MOTD saying ultimately the season will go down as a failure. I really don't agree with that at all. Back in August the big goal was to secure top 4 and we did it with weeks to go anything else,including a title challenge is a bonus. Like I said I am devastated we didn't win it but the season is far from being a failure. I agree with Stevie,with the set up and players we have the title isn't far away.

I already can't wait for pre season, the transfer window to open and to do it all over again.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #32: May 12, 2014 12:14:03 am
      Another season over.....

Nuff respect to Phil Dowd for issuing that yellow card when Newcastle players borrowed the delay tactics a la Chelsea.

We came second in the league. A big improvement from last season. Gutted though, that we came this close to winning the league.

F**k Jose Mourinho and his gutter tactics that should have had his players yellow-carded for deliberate delays.

F**k Chelsea!

F**k Everton's keeper Tim Howard whom I believed deliberately allowed some cheap goals in; from Aguero and the header from Dzeko, to give ManCity the win; thereby tilting the Premiership title in their favour. I hope they lose Mirallas, Barkley, Naismith and their manager.

F**k Chelsea again.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Howard let a couple in. When aguero beat him at the near post, Howard went down but his arms never moved towards the ball.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #33: May 12, 2014 12:18:02 am
      I'm delighted with how the season has gone. No one would have expected us to finish where we did. Of course I'm devastated we never won it after being so close but the players and staff will learn from mistakes. We'll bring in players,get rid of some,regroup and come back bigger and better. It's only the beginning my friends.

Just saw Hansen on MOTD saying ultimately the season will go down as a failure. I really don't agree with that at all. Back in August the big goal was to secure top 4 and we did it with weeks to go anything else,including a title challenge is a bonus. Like I said I am devastated we didn't win it but the season is far from being a failure. I agree with Stevie,with the set up and players we have the title isn't far away.

I already can't wait for pre season, the transfer window to open and to do it all over again.

agree with whar you're saying, just hope that this nagging in my head about the almost 08/09 season,  then what happened the season after is just that. A bad memory.

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #34: May 12, 2014 12:28:53 am
      agree with whar you're saying, just hope that this nagging in my head about the almost 08/09 season,  then what happened the season after is just that. A bad memory.

Know what you mean but that season we lost Alonso, Arbeloa, Hypia and replaced them with dross. We're a different entity these days
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #35: May 12, 2014 12:36:02 am
      Delighted with the football we have played this season, delighted with the manager, happy with the team and the way they have performed over the whole season..... totally gutted that we failed at the last.

A couple of decisions in big games that went Citehs way were probably the difference. If Sterling's "goal" hadn't been disallowed against Citeh, and Newcastle's "goal" had stood against Citeh we would be champions. But we had the title in our hands with 4 games to go, so we have only ourselves to "blame".

In all honesty I think the goals and form of Suarez has hid a multitude of weaknesses, gave us the confidence to go forward and inspired those around him to play better. Deserves every plaudit he has received this season.

Gutted for Gerrard , I would have loved to see him with the cup in his hands.

Can't wait till next season now!

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #36: May 12, 2014 12:43:35 am
      Delighted with the football we have played this season, delighted with the manager, happy with the team and the way they have performed over the whole season..... totally gutted that we failed at the last.

A couple of decisions in big games that went Citehs way were probably the difference. If Sterling's "goal" hadn't been disallowed against Citeh, and Newcastle's "goal" had stood against Citeh we would be champions. But we had the title in our hands with 4 games to go, so we have only ourselves to "blame".

In all honesty I think the goals and form of Suarez has hid a multitude of weaknesses, gave us the confidence to go forward and inspired those around him to play better. Deserves every plaudit he has received this season.

Gutted for Gerrard , I would have loved to see him with the cup in his hands.

Can't wait till next season now!

Multitude of weaknesses? Jeez oh we won 12 of 14 in the run in. We'd have won at Palace as well if we hadn't embraced the idea of scoring 5,6,7.
      And Suarez in those 14 games I think scored 8/9 goals. Not as sparkling as earlier on in the season, this is by no means a 1 man team
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #37: May 12, 2014 12:50:15 am
      Absolutely brilliant season, would have been nice to win the league but it was always a long shot. My main feeling is that we are finally climbing back on our perch.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #38: May 12, 2014 12:56:25 am
      Multitude of weaknesses? Jeez oh we won 12 of 14 in the run in. We'd have won at Palace as well if we hadn't embraced the idea of scoring 5,6,7.
      And Suarez in those 14 games I think scored 8/9 goals. Not as sparkling as earlier on in the season, this is by no means a 1 man team

We conceded 50 f**king goals, our defence has been a shambles for most of the season.  Not saying it is a one man team , but that Suarez early goalscoring form inspired the other players to lift their game and gave them the confidence to go forward.

BTW Suarez has not only scored 31 goals, but has made the second highest number of assists behind Gerrard.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #39: May 12, 2014 12:57:39 am

Considering that in 2009 our best player was sold and we bought some crocked sh*t Italian as his replacement (along with the sale of Arbeloa and the lesser and expensive replacement that was Johnson) I don't think you have much to fear going into next season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #40: May 12, 2014 01:00:41 am
      Inspired by what was accomplished, sad that we couldn't close the deal, optimistic that with proper backing Brendan will turn us into the most feared team in Europe once again.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #41: May 12, 2014 01:04:09 am
      We conceded 50 f**king goals, our defence has been a shambles for most of the season.  Not saying it is a one man team , but that Suarez early goalscoring form inspired the other players to lift their game and gave them the confidence to go forward.

We also scored 101 goals so what's your point? Not buying into your Suarez theory either. Having Suarez was merely having another option/dimension to our team. Now, because we haven't won the league, the usual suspects come crawling out and effectively say he was papering over cracks. Talk about belittling the very obvious progress and form made by Sterling, Henderson, Sturridge and Gerrard this season because that's what you are doing. I mean, Luis Suarez is great, but he's not f**king Superman. Last time I looked, football was a collective game where we ascended and descended together as a team. But then again, people buy into individualism these days don't they?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #42: May 12, 2014 01:09:38 am
      Far too drunk to write coherently my thoughts on this season.  I will say the city is great.  I had an absolutely nightmare getting up here, including having my Liverpool bag, which had my scarves, replica tops etc, go 'missing' between Bristol & Birmingham and in trying to report it at the station, missed my connection and they wouldn't let me use my ticket on the next one, meaning I had to pay again. But Liverpool, the people and city, have made me feel at home and not for the first time.  Every time I come up here the people, red or blue, make me feel welcome and I've not  experienced any of that OOT sh*te you occasionally see online. 

I'm going to have another drink and toast this great city and all the lads and lassies I've met or am yet to meet. 
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #43: May 12, 2014 01:10:15 am

BTW Suarez has not only scored 31 goals, but has made the second highest number of assists behind Gerrard.

It's not just the back 4 that has contributed to conceding 50 goals. The defence Pepe Reina played in front of under Rafa was never man for man the best in the league, yet he always won Golden Glove - reason being he had 2 largely unadventurous full backs, 2 sitting midfielders and 2 wingers that did as much defending as attacking.
      I'm not saying that we shouldn't be looking to concede less goals but we need to be very careful that we don't get carried away in detracting from the fact we have the best attack in England and have played a hell of a lot of exhilarating, devastating football this year
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #44: May 12, 2014 01:13:41 am
      We also scored 101 goals so what's your point? Not buying into your Suarez theory either. Having Suarez was merely having another option/dimension to our team. Now, because we haven't won the league, the usual suspects come crawling out and effectively say he was papering over cracks. Talk about belittling the very obvious progress and form made by Sterling, Henderson, Sturridge and Gerrard this season because that's what you are doing. I mean, Luis Suarez is great, but he's not f**king Superman. Last time I looked, football was a collective game where we ascended and descended together as a team. But then again, people buy into individualism these days don't they?

To be honest I couldn't give a F**k what you buy into, he may not be superman but over the course of this season he has F***ing played like one.
      Yes other players have done well but for me without Suarez there would have been no title challenge.

Not in the mood for your shithouse posts today so I will leave it there.   
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #45: May 12, 2014 01:15:41 am
      To be honest I couldn't give a f**k what you buy into, he may not be superman but over the course of this season he has f**king played like one.
      Yes other players have done well but for me without Suarez there would have been no title challenge.

Not in the mood for your shithouse posts today so I will leave it there.   

We also wouldn't have done so without Sterling, Sturridge, Henderson or Rodgers. Simple as. Now swivel on it.

Quick Reply