Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Senna The Movie

Read 5872 times
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 384 posts | 13 
      Senna The Movie
      Jun 02, 2011 10:52:54 pm
      Going to see this on Saturday at Fact, really looking forward to it, it has had some stunning reviews. Senna was one of my top sporting heroes, and after he died it was a long time before I could watch another Grand Prix.

Started watching and going to Formula One in the 80's; That was an incredible decade for the sport,  with Gilles Villeneuve's death in 82, then Didier Pironi getting badly injured at the German GP. I maybe be wrong but I think Paletti died as well on the startline at Canada. But it seemed to be one after another horrible incidents following on from each other. But after that year, it got almost too respectful, and at times there were no young drivers on the scene that challenged the more experienced ones.

Until Ayrton Senna of course, and he seemed to almost shatter the confidence of more than one older driver. No doubt about it once he arrived Formula One changed, people such as Alain Prost were thrust out of their own safety net and into a new world with new rules. Not surprisingly there were a few victims, but there were so many things that stood out about Senna. Whether it was his driving, his talent, his personality, the way he felt about things which went against him, his fierce battles with Ballestre the FISA guy, who he considered favoured Prost at times. The fact that he was prepared to go to extreme lengths to win a race in one moment and then show real kindness to someone in another moment. He was a real complex character but always spellbinding, to follow as you never knew what he would do or say next. But he was also a symbol of Brazil and brought great pride to a country which had many problems. I hope the film shows all aspects of what made Ayrton so unique and special as both a man and a competitor

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Senna The Movie
      Reply #1: Jun 02, 2011 10:55:38 pm
      Yeah, I'd like to see this as well, looked really good from what I've seen on TV.

Only one Ayrton Senna  :gt-happyup:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Jun 02, 2011 11:09:23 pm
      Advertising boards are up now in the cinema. I have never looked forward to a movie like this. I'm emotional just thinking about it. Such a complex man. Formula One has never been the same since he was lost on that faithfull day. Stolen away in his prime. How I wish he had followed his first instinct after visiting Rubens and not raced that weekend. Unparalled IMO. Forget Schumacher, Prost, Mansell. I wont even mention the pretenders of today. Senna was the best of the breed. Focused and fully committed. Deep thinking family man and unrelenting fighter. Brazil's beacon of light that burnt out far too early
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Jun 03, 2011 01:28:10 am
      Advertising boards are up now in the cinema. I have never looked forward to a movie like this. I'm emotional just thinking about it. Such a complex man. Formula One has never been the same since he was lost on that faithfull day. Stolen away in his prime. How I wish he had followed his first instinct after visiting Rubens and not raced that weekend. Unparalled IMO. Forget Schumacher, Prost, Mansell. I wont even mention the pretenders of today. Senna was the best of the breed. Focused and fully committed. Deep thinking family man and unrelenting fighter. Brazil's beacon of light that burnt out far too early

Very true. I'm massively loyal to Michael Schumacher who as a child was the one figure I absolutely adored so I'm a bit biased but I couldn't separate Senna or Schumacher in all honesty. Senna v Schumacher would have been possibly the finest sporting rivalry of them all. Yet we were cruelly denied. It was the best chapter of f1 which never was. But this Senna movie looks like an absolutely outstanding and beautifully made film. Definitely eager to see this one more than any other film. Mark Kermode says you don't have to be an f1 fan or a sports fan to appreciate this film. But I guess it's not hard for a film on this man not to be great. That's how powerful a human being he was.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #4: Jun 03, 2011 09:09:10 am
      I'd love to see this as well but have one concern.
      I watched a documentary on Senna and welled up. If I watch a film with all the emotional music and slow motion footage, I could be a wreck by the time the lights come back on! Maybe I should wait for the DVD to watch at home!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Jun 03, 2011 11:26:34 am
      Ayrton Senna movie: Oliver Holt remembers the magic of a F1 hero who transcended his sport
      http://m.mirror.co.uk/article?a=m4:23175345

by Oliver Holt, Daily Mirror

Next Photo
      THE morning after Ayrton Senna died, I left my room above the pizzeria where I stayed every year at Imola and walked the half a mile or so to the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari.

Everything was still a blur. The crash, Senna in his famous yellow helmet lying fatally injured on the concrete run-off area by the side of the track as the medics worked on him, the helicopter landing on the circuit to carry him away.

The announcements in the press room that became increasingly grave in tone and content, a journalist who was a friend of the three-time world champion becoming more and more upset.

Working and working, knowing that Senna's death was bigger news than the fact Nelson Mandela and the ANC had just won South Africa's first multi-racial election.

And, finally, leaving the circuit in the evening and meeting Betise Assumpcao, Senna's press secretary, who was returning from the hospital.

She was a beautiful woman, popular with the media because she was always cheerful and bubbly, but now her face was stained with tears and she had no words. Her grief made the whole thing very real. The world's greatest racing driver, the planet's most famous sportsman was dead. He was 34.

The cause of the accident remains controversial. The cause of his death was that on impact a piece of suspension pierced his helmet visor and punctured his skull.

The next morning, May 2, 1994, the Imola circuit was surprisingly quiet when I got there with a colleague.

We walked out on to the track. We expected someone to stop us but nobody did, so we followed Senna's last journey.

We walked down the few hundred yards to Tamburello, the fast left-hand bend where Senna's Williams had careered into the perimeter wall at 130mph.

There were black tyre marks on the low white wall that traced the point of impact. There were flowers hanging in the fence.

The place was already becoming a shrine. We had been standing there for a couple of minutes when a silver Mercedes with tinted windows appeared from the direction of the pits and came to a stop.

A door opened and a tall, elegant woman dressed in black, her eyes covered by sunglasses, got out of the back seat and walked over to the crash site.

She bent down and placed some flowers on the spot where Senna had lain, bowed her head and walked back to the car.

It was an eerie moment of stillness and peace at the start of a frantic period of grief, investigation and recrimination.

It seemed to sum up the enigmatic nature of Senna and the mystique that attached itself to him and forms such an important part of his legend.

A brilliant new film about his life and death - called Senna - is released today and captures that mystique beautifully.

It examines the thoughts of a man who transcended his sport in the same way Muhammad Ali was bigger than boxing.

It tells of his bitter rivalry with Alain Prost and his resentment at his treatment by the sport's governing body, the FIA.

Some of the footage in the film is intensely moving, some of it, like scenes from explosive drivers' briefings, fascinating glimpses of a hidden part of F1.

Senna was a genius behind the wheel, of course. He won three world titles and set the record for pole positions, a pure measure of a driver's speed.

He drove in Formula 1's golden era, competing against great champions like Prost, Nelson Piquet and Nigel Mansell.

And when it rained, when the conditions wiped out any advantages a driver might derive from a superior car, Senna was the undisputed master. His pièce de résistance came at the European Grand Prix at Donington Park in 1993 when he conjured what many believe is the greatest lap in Formula 1 history.

Starting fourth in pouring rain, he slipped to fifth going into the first corner but then drove like a superhuman.

He produced an astonishing move to overtake Karl Wendlinger and then gave chase to Williams teammates, Damon Hill and Prost, whose Williams-Renaults were far superior to Senna's McLaren. Senna overtook them both with two daring moves before the end of the first lap and went on to win the race.

Prost, a metronomic Frenchman known as The Professor because of his precise driving style, was Senna's greatest rival.

And it was out of their fierce enmity that Senna's greatness was born because Prost pushed him to his limit.

The point Prost proved was that actually Senna didn't have a limit.

'Ayrton has a small problem,' Prost says in the film. 'He thinks he can't kill himself and I think that is very dangerous.'

In the late 1980s when their rivalry was at its height, it seemed there was nothing Senna would not do to win. The acrimony grew when they were teammates at McLaren in 1988 and 1989, sweeping all before them, and it reached its zenith the following season when Prost had moved to Ferrari.

In the penultimate race of the season at Suzuka in Japan, Senna started from pole position with Prost next to him.

As the cars headed for the first corner at 170mph, Prost edged ahead and turned into the corner, expecting Senna to yield. But Senna did not yield. He held his line and the two cars collided.

There was widespread astonishment at what Senna had done. Prost was furious and deeply shaken.

Once again, he alluded to Senna's disregard for his own mortality. 'He pushed me off,' Prost said. 'I am not prepared to fight against irresponsible people who are not afraid to die.'

The episode added to the aura that had built up around Senna and reinforced the idea that his greatness was not just a product of his skill and courage. Senna came to be viewed as a quasi-religious figure, who drew upon a higher force when he was driving.

'In the last qualifying session,' he said after the 1988 Monaco Grand Prix, 'I was already on pole, then by half a second and then one second and I just kept going.

'Suddenly I was nearly two seconds faster than anybody else, including my team mate with the same car (Prost).

'Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension. I got closer to God.

'It was like I was in a tunnel. Not only the tunnel under the hotel but the whole circuit was a tunnel.

KICKED

'I was just going and going, more and more and more and more. I was way over the limit but still able to find even more.

'Then suddenly something just kicked me. I kind of woke up and realised that I was in a different atmosphere than you normally are. My immediate reaction was to back off, slow down.

'I drove slowly back to the pits and I didn't want to go out any more that day. It frightened me because I was well beyond my conscious understanding.'

Some feel Prost has been demonised by the film and it is true he does not emerge well from it.

The film does not portray Senna as an angel, either, but it does reinforce his reputation as the greatest racing driver the world has ever seen. Senna took that with him to his grave.

3Senna is released in cinemas today.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Jun 03, 2011 02:56:49 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Jun 03, 2011 03:31:02 pm
      I haven't seen that yet, don't know why as I'm such a huge Senna fan. I see him as one of the biggest heroes Brazil has ever had, and I don't mean merely sports heroes. He represented happiness and success in a country struggling with hyperinflation after just recently having conquered democracy again. He gave the people a reason to feel pride. After his death, it became know he was donating millions of dollars to charity without any publicity. It wasn't an act of PR, a rich man trying to look good; it was something from someone who really cared.

He was a very complex man indeed, but a natural leader, with such a powerful charisma, he was adored by millions. Over 3 million people went to the streets of São Paulo to give him a last salute as his body was sent back to Brazil for his funeral. In the day of his death, there was a Flamengo vs Vasco match, in which for possibly the first time, both sets of fans sang the same song together ("Ole ole ole ola, Senna, Senna"). The Brazilian football team that won the World Cup 94 dedicated the victory to him.

I was only 6 when he died, but I remember that day very well. I couldn't watch a F1 race again for years. I really think I could have become a F1 fanatic if it wasn't for this fatidic day, as my grandfather was a big fan of the sport and I used to watch the races with him. But nowadays I don't really care much about racing.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #8: Jun 03, 2011 09:52:39 pm
      I actually thought our very own Nigel Mansell gave Senna a good run for his money ,and was every bit as fearless as Senna was.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Jun 03, 2011 10:36:21 pm
      I actually thought our very own Nigel Mansell gave Senna a good run for his money ,and was every bit as fearless as Senna was.

Absolutely. Mansell may have one world title to his name but he deserved at least three. I always feel he's a bit overlooked in the f1 world. But we love him don't we!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #10: Jun 03, 2011 10:38:18 pm
      It doesn't help that the media branded him with that 'boring' tag. How you can be boring driving at 200mph, I'll never know!
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #11: Jun 04, 2011 10:13:10 pm
      Just come back from watching the movie, and I feel an emotional wreck! If anyone gets the chance to see this, then go it won't be disappointing.

One of the fasinating parts of the film, is what goes on in the driver debriefs, you get it all, the arguments, the irration, the pathetic stance of the FISA officials and even some of the humour between the drivers, you also appreciate the intense dislike that Senna had of the politics in motor sport.

But it's the simple things that really got me, like the interviews with his mum, and his sister, and also the fact that you can really see how he was a symbol in Brazil, and how the poor in that country really belived that he was the one good thing that the country had, at that time. The funeral scenes are amazing, and just show the impact he had.

The really hard bit was the timetable through the Imola weekend. Everything is shown from Barchiello's huge shunt, to Roland Rattenburger's tragic death through to the footage of Senna's car going off. Really couldn't watch much of that, just brought it all back.

stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #12: Jun 10, 2011 11:04:42 pm
      Going to see this as soon as it is out,I love formula 1 and its all down to one man the legend Ayrton Senna.What a driver no fear one aim win,and thats what he did best he was fearless and not afraid to crash.

Just looking at the vid there racer put up showed you how good and how brave he was.

Top gear gave a great tribute to him have a look Senna fans Amazing.
      Ayrton Senna Top Gear Tribute

This video is an astonishing tribute to the best race car driver that has ever sat in a vehicle. :f_wah:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Jun 10, 2011 11:16:33 pm
      I'm shattered after the movie tonight. Powerful, emotional, awe inspiring, heartbreaking, unparallelled. Never will a movie based entirely on archive footage have an impact on me like that again. I actually brokedown when we started to talk about it afterwards. Was hard to watch at times, especially near the end, but my god the Monaco onboard. Mindblowing
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #14: Jun 11, 2011 12:21:44 am
      Is it out Racer thought it was out in July,going to go watch it tomorrow night.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Jun 11, 2011 12:24:52 am
      It's in Vue Liffey Valley and it's awesome
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #16: Jun 11, 2011 12:33:44 pm
      Will definately have to give this a watch then
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #17: Oct 15, 2011 11:39:43 pm
      Finally got round to watching this tonight and I always expected it to be a great film but it surpassed even my high expectations.

As racer said above this is one of the most emotionally powerful films I have watched that is based only on archive footage. No new interviews, no reminiscing just footage from the time that plots his life, mainly in F1 and boy does it succeed.

What you get most if all from the film is a real sense of Ayrton's passion for motor racing and how that impacted both his life and the lives of others, particularly the people of Brazil. There are a few times where he talks about pure motor racing and I got the sense that although his ambition was to get to F1 and be a World Champion he hated the politics of the sport and the increasing influence of technology as the years went on.

I was furious during the 89 crash with Prost as he was so unfairly treated and you have to wonder if Prost's close relationship with Balestre was the main reason for the outcome after the crash.

The best moment was his finish in Brazil 91 with the last laps in 6th gear as it showed his will to win and how badly he wanted to give his fans in Brazil a victory to celebrate.

But the ending with the lead up to Imola and the footage from the race was very hard to watch as I remember it from the time and haven't really  seen it since. Very emotional and he look tortured in the pictures when he was sitting on the grid to start the race. I wonder if he didn't want to race but felt he had to and his desire to race took over.

This quote from him says it all about the man

By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win. And the main motivation is to compete for victory, it's not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th.

Truly an exceptional film.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Oct 17, 2011 01:15:20 pm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #19: May 09, 2014 08:08:23 pm
      Just watched this, I know, finger on the pulse me.

I feelings towards him have changed immensely.

RIP.

Quick Reply