Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

USA World Cup Squad

Read 2511 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      USA World Cup Squad
      May 12, 2014 09:04:52 pm
      PROVISIONAL 30-man U.S. squad released today:

GKs
      Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)
      Tim Howard (Everton)
      Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders
      DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla)
      Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City)
      John Brooks (Hertha Berlin)
      Geoff Cameron (Stoke City)
      Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg)
      Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC)
      Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy)
      Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes)
      Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim)
      Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew)
      DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

Midfielders
      Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake)
      Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes)
      Michael Bradley (Toronto FC)
      Joe Corona (Club Tijuana)
      Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo)
      Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg)
      Maurice Edu (Philadelphia Union)
      Julian Green (Bayern Munich)
      Jermaine Jones (Besiktas)
      Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards
      Jozy Altidore (Sunderland)
      Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna)
      Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC)
      Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)
      Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar)
      Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

--

This is their 30 that they'll need to cut down to 23. There are a lot of German-Americans in there :laugh:
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: USA World Cup Squad
      Reply #1: May 13, 2014 03:08:35 pm
      Never even heard of half of those US players.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #2: May 13, 2014 04:04:24 pm
      Never even heard of half of those US players.

15 of the 30 play in MLS plus a few in Mexico like Beasley and Corona, so that's probably why. I actually kind of like so many players from North American leagues on the team even though Liga MX and MLS don't compare to Europe's top six leagues.

Believe me though when I say the options for the backline are atrocious! Petrified at what Germany, Portugal and Ghana are capable of doing to them.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #3: May 13, 2014 04:58:26 pm
      Believe me though when I say the options for the backline are atrocious! Petrified at what Germany, Portugal and Ghana are capable of doing to them.

Oh yeah. Forgot the US had the fabled Group Of Death.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #4: May 13, 2014 07:53:34 pm
      How on earth is that considered a worse group than Spain, The Netherlands and Chile?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #5: May 23, 2014 06:08:43 am
      Brad Evans tweet after being left out of the squad was class :laugh:

@brad_evans3
      You got off easy this time @Cristiano
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #6: May 25, 2014 03:14:54 am
      Brad Evans tweet after being left out of the squad was class :laugh:

@brad_evans3
      You got off easy this time @Cristiano

:lmao: Fair play to Evans that.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was shocked Donovan got cut. I never thought that would actually happen.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #7: May 27, 2014 02:16:13 am
      :lmao: Fair play to Evans that.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was shocked Donovan got cut. I never thought that would actually happen.

I am not, from what I seen from him this season in MLS he really is showing his age. I know a lot of the American soccer media is ripping Jürgen for leaving him out while putting in his German "Americanized" players like Jones, Green or Boyd.
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #8: May 27, 2014 03:49:31 am
      I was not shocked by the omission of Donovan. We played well as a team when he took the time off and qualified for the World Cup. He opened the door for younger player to step up and show what they can do. They did not disappoint. I am looking forward to seeing how the team does in the competition.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #9: May 28, 2014 09:21:15 pm
      Think Donovan should have been included if for nothing else his World Cup experience and leadership. There's obviously a rift with him and Klinnsman though as evidenced by Jürgen's son's tweet after Donovan was excluded.

I watched them in their friendly last night and I don't think there's any way we get out of our group. In addition to a porous back line, we really don't have anyone up front that can take over a game. Let's be honest, Jozy Altidore just doesn't have what it takes....for his size and skill he should be the Lebron James of US Soccer. But he alway seems to be one move away or one step away from being where he needs to be or doing what we need him to do. Bradley looked horrible last night, not sure what he was even doing out there. Wish I could be more optimistic but I think we'll be lucky to win one game (Ghana) in our group. Hope they prove me wrong.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: May 28, 2014 09:59:42 pm
      Let's be honest, Jozy Altidore just doesn't have what it takes....for his size and skill he should be the Lebron James of US Soccer. But he alway seems to be one move away or one step away from being where he needs to be or doing what we need him to do.

I'm honestly not sure how he has made a career out of playing football. Who are the rest of the teams in your group mate? I had a quick look at some of the groups earlier but can't remember yours. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #11: May 28, 2014 10:19:23 pm
      I'm honestly not sure how he has made a career out of playing football. Who are the rest of the teams in your group mate? I had a quick look at some of the groups earlier but can't remember yours. 

Ghana
      Germany
      Portugal

We're screwed. Our only hope is to beat Ghana, draw with Portugal and then hope that Germany beats everyone else.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #12: May 29, 2014 10:01:33 pm
      Think Donovan should have been included if for nothing else his World Cup experience and leadership. There's obviously a rift with him and Klinnsman though as evidenced by Jürgen's son's tweet after Donovan was excluded.

That's just it for me. Donovan is one of the few U.S. players who can actually perform in a pressure situation, 2006 aside ;) My guess is that Jürgen didn't care much for Donovan's 140-plus day sabbatical right when qualification was starting.

I've seen Mix Diskerud come off the bench a number of times now and change matches. I'd like to see him get a good 60 minutes with the first team to see how he gets on against Turkey.

Regardless, though, the backline is dodgy as f**k. Cameron looked good at CB and we know he can play well RB and even DM. Beasley isn't a LB, Johnson is pretty decent, Chandler is still unknown, Yedlin lacks good positioning at his age, Gonzalez's knee is not 100 percent, Besler practically panicked against Azerbaijan, and Brooks is an unknown quantity as well. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #13: Jun 08, 2014 02:31:16 am
      Thought the US did very well this evening. I think they have probably found their lineup and their "system". Looks like we are going to have to concede possession, defend well and then hit quick on the counter.

It was good to see Altidore get 2 goals, if we have any chance he's going to have to actually play with some quality, although I told my wife, my early prediction is that he won't score any goals this World Cup.

Bradley had a good game, Dempsey looked good and the back line actually held together pretty good till Gonzalez came on...he's utterly useless when it comes to defensive positioning.

We play like we did tonight in our group games, we MIGHT (huge might) have an outside chance of advancing.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #14: Jun 08, 2014 02:43:02 am
      Thought the US did very well this evening. I think they have probably found their lineup and their "system". Looks like we are going to have to concede possession, defend well and then hit quick on the counter.

It was good to see Altidore get 2 goals, if we have any chance he's going to have to actually play with some quality, although I told my wife, my early prediction is that he won't score any goals this World Cup.

Bradley had a good game, Dempsey looked good and the back line actually held together pretty good till Gonzalez came on...he's utterly useless when it comes to defensive positioning.

We play like we did tonight in our group games, we MIGHT (huge might) have an outside chance of advancing.

Only seen bits of the match, a bit of the 1st half and last 25 of the 2nd after the England game finished, good second goal by Altidore and was very impressed with the US support who made plenty of noise.

Spot on about your chances, can see Germany winning the group as I think they will get to at least the semis, big game will be Portugal especially if Ronaldo is still not fit.

Quick Reply