Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Brazil NOT ready for World Cup!

Read 2606 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Brazil NOT ready for World Cup!
      Nov 28, 2013 08:12:37 am
      Been reading alot about Brazil and their progress for the WC. I remember about 2 years back numerous experts on stadium design and construction were saying that the plans for building numerous stadiuns in Brazil was completely implausible. Brazil just did not have the infrastructure in place to host the WC and Olympics within 2 years of eachother, but of course FIFA being the complete, out of touch, crooked and narrow minded governing body of workd football ignored all the experts and downplayed the HUGE amount of evidence showing Brazil would not be able to get it finished.  Now Brazil have 22 DAYS to complete 6 stadiums. Many which havent even had the roof supports in place, any seats and no pitch. After being told over and over and over that the stadiums will be finished, they now say that several of the stadiums will not be ready until March...One guy on BBC said he doesnt think the stadiums will be fully operational even for the Olympics in 2016. They have nowhere near enough hotel rooms. They have not finished the transit trains and road construction.

Today the Stadium which was to host the Opening  ceremony and match had a crane collapse which crushed half of the main stand. 2 other stadiums are now closed because they failed structural inspections on the roofs.

Not to mention the huge protests and rioting about spending hundreds of millions in public money in a country lacking basics necesities as running water, electricity and proper medical care.  I love Football and I LOVE THE WORLD CUP!!!!  But, Brazil and its people would of been better suited to use the money for public ventures and to help the poor. Many who live in abysmal poverty in the same neighborhoods as these 400 million dollar new stadiums. As much as I want to see a WC in Brazil which deserves it, their love for Football and their players is inspiring, the protestors are right. Not one dollar of the WC revenue will make it to the poor neighborhoods or its people. It will go right into the coffers of FIFA and corporations like Budweiser, ADIDAS, Visa, Sony, Emirates, Coca Cola etc,etc.. All this bullshit from FIFA how the WC revitalizes the host cities is sh*t. It revitalizes it up to the last day of the match and they take all the money and piss off back to Switzerland.
      evaluator
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 88 posts |
      Re: Brazil NOT ready for World Cup!
      Reply #1: Mar 17, 2014 04:01:51 pm
      I had been hearing this too. I was thinking about going, but it seems like their infrastructure to travel around isn't really developed and may be frustrating to visitors.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. There are a few guys I know that are going, so it'll be interesting to hear their perspective vs what media says before/during the world cup.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2: Mar 17, 2014 05:21:20 pm
      Come on Diego, spill the beans!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #3: Mar 18, 2014 06:26:27 pm
      I'm sure everything will be ready to go, there's too much money at stake for it not to be. I'm sure if things can't get done legally, they'll just get done illegally ;D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4: Mar 20, 2014 10:51:45 am
      I saw something (doco) on TV the other where the police state are trying to shift all the crackheads out of the way - apparently there is an epidemic of crack cocaine uses over there - a rock that would sell at the price of 20 quid can be bought over there for a couple of pounds.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #5: Mar 20, 2014 01:40:22 pm
      I saw something (doco) on TV the other where the police state are trying to shift all the crackheads out of the way - apparently there is an epidemic of crack cocaine uses over there - a rock that would sell at the price of 20 quid can be bought over there for a couple of pounds.

It isn't really the discounted crack price that's the trouble it's the associated tiers of crime lords and gangsters that come with the deal.
      Let's not forget those tiers are ingrained in the very power structure of that country and there are individuals that have unethical affiliations with the cartels actually in the administration.
      Cocaine is established in the social order of Brazil and addressing the matter in such a time scale is truthfully laughable.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #6: Mar 20, 2014 02:46:59 pm
      I've read that they have actually put police stations in all of the favelas in Rio and that there is at least some lip service on curbing the crime in the city but as with most large sports events, likely after the Olympics moves on in a couple of years it could likely go back to the way it was.

Similar to Atlanta...they bused the homeless out of the city during the olympics. When I was there two weeks ago, there are still people sleeping under overpasses by the highway.

Sad.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #7: Mar 20, 2014 08:56:53 pm
      I've read that they have actually put police stations in all of the favelas in Rio and that there is at least some lip service on curbing the crime in the city but as with most large sports events, likely after the Olympics moves on in a couple of years it could likely go back to the way it was.

Similar to Atlanta...they bused the homeless out of the city during the olympics. When I was there two weeks ago, there are still people sleeping under overpasses by the highway.

Sad.

That's what I saw on the doco to.
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #8: Apr 30, 2014 11:18:35 am
      It should all be fine with the death squads they have to protect people :)

The company formally known as Blackwater is helping provide security training in Brazil in the run up to the 2014 World Cup, stoking fears that the ‘pacification’ of the country’s slums is very much an Iraq-style military occupation.

http://rt.com/news/155576-blackwater-world-cup-training/
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9: May 12, 2014 08:07:48 pm
      Brazilian police have put together a pamphlet of top tips for staying safe during the World Cup next month, with suggestions such as making sure not to scream if someone tries to rob you, it is reported.

"Do not react, scream or argue," says the brochure, which will be handed out by Brazilian embassies and consulates, Estadao de Sao Paulo newspaper reports. Sao Paulo police, who reportedly put together the document, are aiming their security tips at football fans planning to attend the World Cup tournament that kicks off in June.

The idea is apparently to warn visitors not to provoke robbers into further violence, and avoid the increasingly common crime of "latrocinios" - or robbery that ends in murder. "Tourists come mainly from Europe and the United States, where they do not see this crime very often," says Mario Leite, who is in charge of World Cup security in Sao Paulo.

Tourists are also advised not to flaunt valuable objects that might attract robbers, to be careful at night, make sure they are with other people and to check nobody is following them. The guidelines might sound extreme, but police officer Mario Leite says they are there to deal with realities on the ground. "There is no use crying over spilt milk," he says.

Brazil has one of the world's highest murder rates. In 2012, the UN Office on Drugs and Crime said 25.2 people are killed per 100,000 population
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-27373457

Quick Reply