Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Ashley Cole (Chelsea)

Read 14798 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Re: Ashley Cole (Chelsea)
      Reply #115: May 18, 2014 10:32:24 pm
      I'm fairly certain he won't be short of offers and he looked pretty decent playing in the Champions League semi final at the end of the season. Azpilacueta has been excellent this season so there is no shame in losing his place to him.

It seems we're not too fussed on Cole anyways so perhaps we will bring in this Moreno lad instead. I would prefer to see us spend the bigger bucks in other areas though which is one of the reasons I like Cole on a free transfer. Is the kitty so big that we can afford to spend 15 million on a full back?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #116: May 19, 2014 12:38:21 pm
      As much as I've always quite disliked him I can never say anything other than he has been a fantastic full back.. I remember a couple of games he had against Ronaldo, one vs Utd the other vs Portugal and he was superb, squashed all minds that he wasn't very good defensively and was there mainly as an attacking full..

I heard that his clash with Mourinho this season had a lot  to do with him going to Arsenal's Christmas party rather than an ability thing, then Azpilucuta kept his place as the season wore on as he was playing well enough to do so.. But I'm sure he isn't the first or last to have a personality clash with Mourinho

However I think we would be better looking for a better long term option there myself, someone we can nail that left full spot for 5-6 years at least.. I think the full backs are so key to Brendan's system that we need to think long term.

He has been very good, and if Brendan brought him in I wouldn't complain however he wouldn't be my first choice personally

I also don't think Brendan will bring him in, I see Cole going off to get a big final pay day somewhere, especially now he hasn't got to worry about playing at the highest competitive level for international consideration.
      I don't see us even if we had the will to bring him in bring able to match the other offers he will get, or wanting to anyway to keep a level to our wage bill
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #117: May 20, 2014 12:23:27 pm
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #118: May 20, 2014 01:00:10 pm
      I think this will happen.

Great player
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #119: May 20, 2014 03:52:39 pm
      I wouldn't be too bothered if he came in as a last resort if we can't find or do anything to fill that position before the transfer window shuts.

The thing is though he's on £120k per week at Chav and he'd be lucky if LFC offered him half of that. He's basically won the lot so what incentive is there for him to compete in any competitive league.

Nah, he's deffo off to America. Kerching, kerching.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #120: May 20, 2014 03:57:23 pm
      As much as I've always quite disliked him I can never say anything other than he has been a fantastic full back.. I remember a couple of games he had against Ronaldo, one vs Utd the other vs Portugal and he was superb, squashed all minds that he wasn't very good defensively and was there mainly as an attacking full..

I heard that his clash with Mourinho this season had a lot  to do with him going to Arsenal's Christmas party rather than an ability thing, then Azpilucuta kept his place as the season wore on as he was playing well enough to do so.. But I'm sure he isn't the first or last to have a personality clash with Mourinho

However I think we would be better looking for a better long term option there myself, someone we can nail that left full spot for 5-6 years at least.. I think the full backs are so key to Brendan's system that we need to think long term.

He has been very good, and if Brendan brought him in I wouldn't complain however he wouldn't be my first choice personally

I also don't think Brendan will bring him in, I see Cole going off to get a big final pay day somewhere, especially now he hasn't got to worry about playing at the highest competitive level for international consideration.
      I don't see us even if we had the will to bring him in bring able to match the other offers he will get, or wanting to anyway to keep a level to our wage bill

Was that at Euro 2004 or was it World Cup 2006? Seem to recall Cole being fantastic in both matches.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #121: May 20, 2014 03:58:39 pm
      Nah, he's deffo off to America. Kerching, kerching.

Apparently a move to America has been ruled out because he still feels he can contribute a lot at the highest level.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #122: May 20, 2014 04:29:40 pm
      I'm really surprised that not only do some people say that Cole's too far past his best to be any good to us, but that one or two have "never rated him". Surely they must be allowing their opinions as to his character muddy the waters as to his football prowess? For me it's as plain as the nose on Thommo's face that he was an absolute World class performer at his best, the best in the World in his position in fact. Equally, his performances for Chelsea towards the end of the season were excellent, I don't see how anyone can deny that really.

The ONLY unknown for me is whether or not he would be prepared to a) take a pay cut and b) whether his head could stay in it for however long we sign him. In many respects he fits what we ought to be looking for in that he is hungry in a football sense and probably feels like he has something to prove. Yes he's 33, but he's a natural athlete and it's hardly like we're talking Jan Molby or something.

I don't think it will happen in a million years,but Ashley Cole at left back would IMHO make a HUGE difference to our team.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #123: May 20, 2014 05:20:25 pm
      Surely they must be allowing their opinions as to his character muddy the waters as to his football prowess? For me it's as plain as the nose on Thommo's face that he was an absolute World class performer at his best, the best in the World in his position in fact.
      I have to agree on both counts 'mick. He may or not be a bit of a c**t as a human being but there were/are few better attacking full-backs in the past 15 years.

Jose done for him both times round with his negative 'tactics'; making sure Cole rarely got the chance to cross the half-way line. Even then, [with his attacking instinct muted], Cole still shone as a defender.

I don't know if we are interested (I doubt it) but on purely footballing terms; I would be happy enough if we signed him.

NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby
      • Started Topic

• 134 posts |
      Reply #124: May 20, 2014 06:17:21 pm
      ...also should he come to Anfield, he would not be part of the old boys establishment as he was at Chelsea. Couldnt see the senior pros here putting up with any stupid behavior from him.

If it's true that he's turned down the US, I would interpret that positively. He wants to stay in the Premier league, and has a point to prove. He could be very motivated to perform. If he's in that frame of mind you could be getting a very focused, positive player in a position where there are very few around in his class (yes even today - he may not still be at his peak, but would still be in the top dozen in the position).

This could be a good short term deal at little cost to the club - presumably wages only, no transfer fee - might be good for a couple of years with his experience, save the £15 mill people are quoting for Moreno, Shaw etc and spend it in other areas of the park.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #125: May 20, 2014 09:06:42 pm
      I think he is going to want to prove a point to Chelsea just like Johnson and Sturridge did at some point when they first arrived.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #126: May 20, 2014 09:29:47 pm
      Haven't watched him the last year or two, but going forward or defending, he was the best full back in the world. There is no denying that.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #127: May 20, 2014 09:32:41 pm
      the anti mourinho factor will make him blossom here at anfield.....  :lmao:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #128: May 20, 2014 10:17:03 pm
      Don't like him but am coming around to the thoughts of him here, cant believe im saying that.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #129: May 20, 2014 10:39:28 pm
      Don't like him but am coming around to the thoughts of him here, cant believe im saying that.

:D

I think he's a great fit for what we need at the moment. We're clearly not going to pay £30m for Shaw but we have a lot of areas that need attention in our squad. A world class left back to come for a signing on fee and a fat pay packet will fit very nicely with our summer plans.

His style of play suits us perfectly and if we're going to integrate Ilori into the side I'd be happy with him coming through learning from that level of experience. Imagine how good it would be for young Flanno to learn from him too, feels like I'm in the minority but I have no issues with it at all.

Could put this differently, how many people would be happy with this deal if it meant Brendan could get Reus over Lallana?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #130: May 20, 2014 11:18:53 pm
      Could put this differently, how many people would be happy with this deal if it meant Brendan could get Reus over Lallana?
      I'd be happy to take Carlton Cole if it meant getting Reus.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #131: May 21, 2014 12:30:58 am

You're aiming too low, I want Reus, Lallana and Shaw ;D
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #132: May 23, 2014 10:49:33 pm
      He would be a sound transfer on a free. Win win and still a fine player
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #133: Jul 07, 2014 11:40:16 am
      With a heavy heart, we have to say, ciao Ashley.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28182668

Off to Roma, see you on the 24th.

Quick Reply