Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Central defenders

Read 3573 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Central defenders
      May 19, 2014 06:57:38 pm
      Don't think too many would argue that after the season we just had that our priority should be central defence. No matter how much we might like what we have the simple truth is none of them could organise the defence like Carra could and none of them are dominant in the air like Sami was.

Yet looking through the transfer thread here, or indeed anywhere you look, it seems all were linked with is Steven Caulker, Dejan Lovern and at a push Javier Mascherano as our targets for the position. All 3 have there strengths of which in my opinion Lovern is the one to go for.

But if were talking about stepping up from this season and going for the title while competing in the champions league are we setting the bar a bit low in our search to shore up the defence?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Central defenders
      Reply #1: May 19, 2014 07:19:06 pm
      Don't think too many would argue that after the season we just had that our priority should be central defence. No matter how much we might like what we have the simple truth is none of them could organise the defence like Carra could and none of them are dominant in the air like Sami was.

Yet looking through the transfer thread here, or indeed anywhere you look, it seems all were linked with is Steven Caulker, Dejan Lovern and at a push Javier Mascherano as our targets for the position. All 3 have there strengths of which in my opinion Lovern is the one to go for.

But if were talking about stepping up from this season and going for the title while competing in the champions league are we setting the bar a bit low in our search to shore up the defence?

I understand what you're saying Brian but I think the fullback/wingback positions are more in need of improvement this summer.  The CB's might not be the very best but they're stronger than our options at FB at this time.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      Reply #2: May 19, 2014 07:22:48 pm
      I understand what you're saying Brian but I think the fullback/wingback positions are more in need of improvement this summer.  The CB's might not be the very best but they're stronger than our options at FB at this time.

Not sure Debs. I cant recall once seeing any of them grab things by the scruff. None of them really take command of crosses coming in on top of them. Yes we need a full back maybe 2 and that might help with cutting out crosses but I think we need a Hyppia type to come in also
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: May 19, 2014 07:27:34 pm
      Not sure Debs. I cant recall once seeing any of them grab things by the scruff. None of them really take command of crosses coming in on top of them. Yes we need a full back maybe 2 and that might help with cutting out crosses but I think we need a Hyppia type to come in also

You're right about the fb's cutting out crosses but also the tracking back or being good enough not to lose the ball when attacking would also help the cb's.  We need better fb's mate on both sides, as good as Flanno's been this season.

Somehow I don't think we'll get one mate, it's not how Brendan sees his CB's.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4: May 19, 2014 07:36:03 pm
      You're right about the fb's cutting out crosses but also the tracking back or being good enough not to lose the ball when attacking would also help the cb's.  We need better fb's mate on both sides, as good as Flanno's been this season.

Somehow I don't think we'll get one mate, it's not how Brendan sees his CB's.

I agree, we're in dire need of better full backs before we look at CB's in my opinion. I think we'll be fine with Skrtel, Agger, Sakho, Kelly and Ilori, although, I wouldn't mind us replacing either Skrtel or Agger for a Ramos, Carra, Puyol type CB.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: May 19, 2014 07:57:04 pm
      I wouldn't mind us replacing either Skrtel or Agger

I think both will stay this summer but one or both could go next year, depending on how well the others develop.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #6: May 19, 2014 09:41:40 pm
      I personally think we have quality in the middle but the flanks need replacing. One or two starting fullbacks to come in. Probably only one though. Have the five central defenders battle it out for 2 positions. And maybe stick an extra DM next to Gerrard who's sole task is to protect the back 4 and cover for Gerrard. Would love Mascherano back.

-----------------Mig---------------
      Flanagan----Skrtel--Sakho----Enrique/New LB

-------Mascherano----Gerrard-------

----Sterling------------------Coutinho---------
      ---------Suarez-------Sturridge------

You can do 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 or a variety of different formations. Gives us more cover as well as always having extra help at the back and maybe allowing Gerrard to push up a little more. The fullbacks can push up and we can still have 3 at the back with the two CB's and the other DM (Mascherano).
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #7: May 19, 2014 09:50:18 pm
      Skrtel, Sakho, Agger, Toure, Coates, Kelly, Wisdom, Ilori

I don't think we are lacking in numbers of 'senior' centre-backs.

Full backs are definitely a greater concern - especially the type of system we play which relies on them providing a lot of energy and thus more liable to rotation.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #8: May 19, 2014 09:54:30 pm
      I think reddebs is absolutely right, full-backs should be our priority. Ideally, 2 full-backs to go straight in to the starting 11. May seem harsh on Flanno but I don't think he is quite ready yet, especially considering the importance of the position in Rodgers' system.

As for centre-backs , I think we only have to replace Agger (looks like he will wants to leave). Some may not agree but i'd like Skrtel and Sakho as our first choice pairing, playing as many games together as possible. With 2 new full-backs and maybe a DM ( Mascherano  :roll: ) I think we would see a massive improvement.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #9: May 19, 2014 10:05:22 pm
      Each of our centre backs have attributes that many a team would beg to have in their's. The problem is though that there are some areas that our centre backs lack quality in and they need improving quickly if they're to remain at the club. I don't think Brendan will put up with another season like last in terms of our defensive record. If I was Brendan I would seriously do my best to persuade Hyypia and/or Carragher to come in and do some defensive coaching during the summer with Agger and Skrtel (Sakho will be at the World Cup).

I know that throughout the season I have questioned whether certain players should or should not be at the club but there was once a time when Agger and Skrtel were one of the best defensive partnerships in the league and I think they could be again with some thorough work done in pre-season. Skrtel could improve on his positioning (Palace's 3rd goal and some of his own goals where he aimlessly dangles a leg out) and his marking whilst I think Agger could work on his anticipation (where a striker will dribble next with the ball), his strength and his burst of pace for the first 3 yards (was evident that he was lacking this when we beat Cardiff 6-3 and Campbell jogged passed him with ease to score).

The only change I would make in our central defensive areas is probably bring in Ilori for Toure. I would then see how we go for the first few months of next season, if changes need to be made then make sure we have some sort of kitty for January to bring somebody in and possibly send Ilori out on loan again if needs be. At times our full backs haven't done our centre backs and favours so this has to be taken into account too before hauling everybody's arse out of the club who just happens to play at centre back.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #10: May 19, 2014 10:15:40 pm
      Like a few have said above I'd be more keen on getting one or even two full backs before a centre back.

I think our senior four are good enough and don't see any drastic changes needed there.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11: May 19, 2014 11:18:56 pm
      The one major improvement we could make at CB is someone vocal who can organize the defence, especially with younger players like Kelly, Wisdom, Ilori hopefully making some appearances next season.

I think we will replace Coates and possibly even Agger this summer, and while there is no doubt that we also need a full back, I think we will bring in at least one experienced CB too.

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #12: May 20, 2014 12:20:51 am
      I would say that we can't have Agger AND Skrtel as our first choice centre backs.
      Sakho is still a youngster...only 23, and for a CB that is the time you need a solid and experience CB beside you in order to progress.
      I like Coates but maybe not the right timing for us.
      Illori looks a very classy player but needs a commanding partner which neither Agger or Skrtel are.
      Sakho will get there but not yet.
      Thats why i see BR looking for a established CB to come in and take our defense by the scruff of its neck.
      Personally i can see Coates being sold, Kelly on loan, Skrtel being sold, Toure being sold and Illori being used with Agger as a fill in for a new CB.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #13: May 20, 2014 01:20:49 am
      I would say that we can't have Agger AND Skrtel as our first choice centre backs.
      Sakho is still a youngster...only 23, and for a CB that is the time you need a solid and experience CB beside you in order to progress.
      I like Coates but maybe not the right timing for us.
      Illori looks a very classy player but needs a commanding partner which neither Agger or Skrtel are.
      Sakho will get there but not yet.
      Thats why i see BR looking for a established CB to come in and take our defense by the scruff of its neck.
      Personally i can see Coates being sold, Kelly on loan, Skrtel being sold, Toure being sold and Illori being used with Agger as a fill in for a new CB.

Yes lets sell the lot of our CB's and trust an unproven Ilori. Even if we sign one we only have 3 CB's. What happens if two get injured?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #14: May 20, 2014 09:00:13 am

I think that would be madness mate.

I think Dagger will be off and one will come in to replace him and it could very well be Caulker.

Although we conceded a lot of goals last season I don't think selling a low of CB's is necessarily the solution.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #15: May 20, 2014 10:32:17 am
      Full backs are definitely a greater concern - especially the type of system we play which relies on them providing a lot of energy and thus more liable to rotation.
      Won't argue JD with that but I would add that even with better wing/full-backs we will still be susceptible to the counter.

I see our 'problems at the back' being a bit deeper than just signing another centre-half. What I saw was a defence who just weren't comfortable together at times and seemed not to trust each other as a unit [keeper, back four and holding/defensive mid'].

For me the problem starts with Simon - when we play a high line, leaving a lot of space behind and little cover in front of the centre halves - he just doesn't sweep or command that space [even vocally] in a manner which breeds confidence. And, if I'm being honest, Stevie too offers less cover than a dedicated defensive midfielder.

Lack of cover, on the flanks, in front and behind the centre-halves, has (in my opinion) often left our two centre halves with little option other than to drop off the ball/attacker or, when it's played over the top, to defend facing their own goal. Neither of which are conducive to good defending practice.

In my opinion is that there's less need to sign a new centre-half than maybe a sweeper-type, vocal, decisive 'keeper and a dedicated holding/defensive mid' to play alongside Stevie [which, of course, may sacrifice some of our attacking prowess].
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16: May 20, 2014 11:07:40 am
      Like many, I think Fullbacks is where we are wholly inadequate.
      Given the systems reliance on them, we need the best fullbacks we can get,
      and another high energy midfielder to cover them.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #17: May 20, 2014 03:12:46 pm
      Like everyone else, FB is where we really need to strengthen. We could do with one on each side to be honest.

When it comes to CB, I think LCB is fairly settled. I'm pretty happy with Agger and Sakho as our options. This might be an unpopular opinion, but for as good as Skrtel was this season, I think we can improve on him.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #18: May 20, 2014 03:17:15 pm
      Like everyone else, FB is where we really need to strengthen. We could do with one on each side to be honest.

When it comes to CB, I think LCB is fairly settled. I'm pretty happy with Agger and Sakho as our options. This might be an unpopular opinion, but for as good as Skrtel was this season, I think we can improve on him.

We have an improved option mate with Ilori.  He might be young but oh my can this lad play  ;D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #19: May 20, 2014 03:23:03 pm
      We have an improved option mate with Ilori.  He might be young but oh my can this lad play  ;D

Oh I'm very high on Ilori, but is he ready right now to come in a be CL defender? Tough call.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20: May 20, 2014 03:27:19 pm
      Oh I'm very high on Ilori, but is he ready right now to come in a be CL defender? Tough call.

Well he handled Barcas defense pretty much single handedly when Granada beat them the other week Mossy and he'll have far better players around him than at Granada.  He was very vocal at organising everyone, something we lack badly despite all the experience and yes he would have caught Ba after Stevie's slip.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      Reply #21: May 20, 2014 06:17:47 pm
      As an aside from the transfer talk Id love to see Ilori and Kelly play together for a few pre season games
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #22: May 20, 2014 06:54:24 pm
      Our problems aren't stemming from lack of ability in FB/WB or CB or even GK positions, they're stemming from a chronic lack of organisation in the back five. Not one of them, be it Goalkeeper or Defender is stepping up to organise the defence and as a result they're all at sixes and sevens with no one singing from the same hymn sheet. Simply looking for the next talented defender won't solve the underlying issues,  what we need is a leader in there, an organiser, someone who gets everyone on the same page and rather than look at their ability in defending, we need to be looking at a player's ability in leading. We need someone with good leadership and organisation skills more than anything right now. What position they play in across the back line is of secondary importance.

Quick Reply