Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

13/14 Finalé: Real Madrid v Atlético Madrid - build-up & in-game discussion

Read 14803 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: 13/14 Finalé: Real Madrid v Atlético Madrid - build-up & in-game discussion
      Reply #115: May 25, 2014 10:37:56 am
      Xabi Alonso ‏@XabiAlonso 10h

It can't get better than this one. La Décimaaaaaaaa!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/1dfRO3vcBC

---------

Personally think Istanbul will never be topped - but each to his own

Congrats Xabi!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #116: May 25, 2014 11:25:59 am
      Casillas, Lopez, Marcelo, Coentrao, Pepe, Ramos, Varane, Arbeloa, Carajval, Modric, Khedira, Isco, Xabi Alonso, Irillamendi, De Maria, Benzema, Morata, Bale, Ronaldo.

Ancellotti you genius!
      Madrid you deserve after such adversity, such suffering, such..... Inequity.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #117: May 25, 2014 11:42:35 am
      Madrid you deserve after such adversity, such suffering, such..... Inequity.
      Really?

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #118: May 25, 2014 11:53:35 am
      The players that stood out or me where Di Maria, Marcelo and Isco for Real and Godin for Atleti.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #119: May 25, 2014 11:54:14 am
      Just realised I'm the one who got that wrong. :D

Townsend still a tw*t though.

:lmao:

That honestly made me laugh.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #120: May 25, 2014 12:02:04 pm

I was actually shouting at the TV at how stupid he was Beer when I realised I'd forgot about the change of ends at half time.

Talk about feeling like an idiot.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #121: May 25, 2014 12:07:52 pm
      I was actually shouting at the TV at how stupid he was Beer when I realised I'd forgot about the change of ends at half time.

Talk about feeling like an idiot.

Those candid slip ups are usually the best.  :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #122: May 25, 2014 12:11:22 pm
      Those candid slip ups are usually the best.  :D

Indeed.

But as I said Townsend is a gobs***e of the highest order and it pissed me off he made me look stupid. ;D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #123: May 25, 2014 12:13:44 pm
      Indeed.

But as I said Townsend is a gobs***e of the highest order and it pissed me off he made me look stupid. ;D

:D

"Townsend is still a tw*t though"  :nod:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #124: May 25, 2014 03:41:24 pm
      Quote from vulcan_red
      Less money than the two hundred million it takes to buy just two members of your squad. Madrid bought the trophy, which they have openly stated was their intention many seasons ago. Atletico's effort to win la liga and be 2 minutes from thE CL crowd is amazing. Madrid achievement means absolutely nothing.

We all went mental at winning our 5 European Cups. To win 10 of them is an achievement unlikely to ever be matched.

Atletico aren't exactly Accrington Stanley in the financial markets. But Accrington Stanley play players that are fit and can defend corners properly in injury time. Football is won and lost on grass, not the p/l account.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #125: May 25, 2014 09:52:21 pm
      Real Madrid bought the trophy. Ronaldo and Bale were actually flops in the match until Ramos saved their arses.

As a club, I don't like Real. Constantly telling the world how big and special they are with an arrogance I have  not seen elsewhere.

I look forward to beating them 4-0 again next season if we play them. With Alonso in their team. Him saying La Decima was better than Istanbul when he wasn't even playing last night was very disappointing. Aside from the fact he was talking out his arse.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #126: May 26, 2014 12:45:21 am

I was being sarcastic. Madrid bought the trophy and are now trying to go with the line that they are by some strange interpretation the ....underdog.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #127: May 26, 2014 12:50:07 am
      We all went mental at winning our 5 European Cups. To win 10 of them is an achievement unlikely to ever be matched.

Atletico aren't exactly Accrington Stanley in the financial markets. But Accrington Stanley play players that are fit and can defend corners properly in injury time. Football is won and lost on grass, not the p/l account.

Defend every single corner perfectly, not even Madrid did that. It wasn't the corner that won the match. I was the fact that if   Ronaldo or Bale or Benzema don't play well then maybe Modric or Isco or Morata or De Maria. C'mon man be fair, the big corporate juggernauts have hijacked the leagues of Europe and then try an talk up their success as a fairy story. Madrids 10 cups is commensurate with their investment over 60 years. They have invested the most and got a return on that. Well done. It has nothing to do with the money and ban balance as you say.... then what does it have to do with?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #128: May 26, 2014 02:37:33 am
      Defend every single corner perfectly, not even Madrid did that. It wasn't the corner that won the match. I was the fact that if   Ronaldo or Bale or Benzema don't play well then maybe Modric or Isco or Morata or De Maria. C'mon man be fair, the big corporate juggernauts have hijacked the leagues of Europe and then try an talk up their success as a fairy story. Madrids 10 cups is commensurate with their investment over 60 years. They have invested the most and got a return on that. Well done. It has nothing to do with the money and ban balance as you say.... then what does it have to do with?

Talking of their investment, Madrid are pretty much state funded and their workings as a club have always left me feeling cynical about the state of corruption between themselves, the banks and their government.

The investigation into Real's deal with Madrid city council centres upon an area of land in the north of the city, Las Tablas. Having originally been valued at €421,000 when it was part of a payment by the council to the club in 1998; the same land was then valued at €22.7m in 2011, a 5,400 per cent rise, when the council decided they had to take it back. In lieu of a €22.7m payment, the club was given the land they needed to develop their stadium.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/exclusive-real-madrid-under-investigation-amid-allegations-of-illegal-state-aid-8557550.html

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #129: May 26, 2014 04:00:04 am
      Talking of their investment, Madrid are pretty much state funded and their workings as a club have always left me feeling cynical about the state of corruption between themselves, the banks and their government.

The investigation into Real's deal with Madrid city council centres upon an area of land in the north of the city, Las Tablas. Having originally been valued at €421,000 when it was part of a payment by the council to the club in 1998; the same land was then valued at €22.7m in 2011, a 5,400 per cent rise, when the council decided they had to take it back. In lieu of a €22.7m payment, the club was given the land they needed to develop their stadium.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/exclusive-real-madrid-under-investigation-amid-allegations-of-illegal-state-aid-8557550.html

It's like ancient Rome, keep the peasants entertained and they wont riot; or even see the place is burning around them.
      For me it's straight forward. Madrid, UEFA, whichever corporate juggernaut.. loaded, corrupt and use political spin in the media. They believe that fans think winning will always justify the means and they think winning guarantees more glory hunting or young fans will join the ranks so the voice of dissent disappears within a generation when these 'super' clubs have most of the fanbase covered.

lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #130: May 26, 2014 04:34:13 am
      Quote from vulcan_red
      Defend every single corner perfectly, not even Madrid did that. It wasn't the corner that won the match. C'mon man be fair, the big corporate juggernauts have hijacked the leagues of Europe and then try an talk up their success as a fairy story. Madrids 10 cups is commensurate with their investment over 60 years. They have invested the most and got a return on that. Well done. It has nothing to do with the money and ban balance as you say.... then what does it have to do with?

They're not expected to defend corners perfectly. They are expected to get the basics right. If they can't, don't complain when it goes wrong.

Real spend money. Many clubs spend money. We'll have to spend money just to get out of the group phase next year, never mind start  rolling Europe's best over 4-0. This year, Real beat the Italian Champions, Spanish Champions, last year's European Champions, and finalists. The team scored 9 goals in the last three games, together with 6 in the first, and 4 in the last. The team fully earned and deserve the title this year.

If you don't like it, there's always the Chelsea method two years ago, if that's more to your liking.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #131: May 26, 2014 04:59:40 am
      They're not expected to defend corners perfectly. They are expected to get the basics right. If they can't, don't complain when it goes wrong.

Real spend money. Many clubs spend money. We'll have to spend money just to get out of the group phase next year, never mind start  rolling Europe's best over 4-0. This year, Real beat the Italian Champions, Spanish Champions, last year's European Champions, and finalists. The team scored 9 goals in the last three games, together with 6 in the first, and 4 in the last. The team fully earned and deserve the title this year.

If you don't like it, there's always the Chelsea method two years ago, if that's more to your liking.

5 goals from set pieces, and a couple from breakaways at the end when the games were over...... The stuff of legends .. Move over Brazil 1982 here come 30% possession, knock it over the top for the flock of roadrunners to get on the end of it. Oh what a use of funds to contribute to the history of the art of football. 200 million spunked on JUST TWO players I am in awe.

Chelsea two years ago should have been twatted and were protected by a God with a sense of irony. The same can't be said of Atletico. Chelsea were monied, Atletico aren't. Madrid just bought a title ....it wasn't pretty and it contributes nothing to the sport.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #132: May 26, 2014 07:17:11 am
      Of course Brazil 1982 couldn't defend corners properly either, and were duly punished.

I don't know what you're looking for in that post. If you're looking for Real to not buy players, it's not going to happen. If you want a club game with no transfer fees, that's not going to happen either. Then you complain about the kind of goals they score, as if there should be some new law drawn up to stop how they're scored or something.

Atletico's goal and general play in the final was straight out of the Tony Pulis handbook. Is that what we want European Champions to be these days? The lead goal for Real was a wonderful piece of individual skill and a well-directed header from an awkward angle, at the vital moment when the chips were down.

It's taken Real 12 years to win the European Cup back. So just buying players since then has not been enough on it's own. Of course there will always be Barcelona fans/others with a permanent view regarding Real Madrid, and there's no real arguing with those people. But I always say you need more than cash to win in this game, and that applies to Real as much as anyone else.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #133: May 26, 2014 12:10:47 pm
      But I always say you need more than cash to win in this game

Real Madrid and Barcelona are two of the highest paid teams in spain and in europe and have been for the past decade. They have won all of the leagues in the past decade and 4 CL between them. Atletico is the 3rd highest paid team and broke the duopoly this year. Statistically this will happen once but they are 3rd highest paid. Bayern Munich is the richest team in Germany and has won the league 6 out of the past 10 seasons and the CL once, Dortmund the league twice and they are second richest. Italy have had upsets with Burlesconi's fall from grace and the Calciopoli scandal sending Juve and Milan out of contention. Generally it was Milan who have won the league 2, then Juve four times and the rest Inter when Juve went down and Milan were knackered. Milan won the CL once and Inter once and both were at their peak. In England Chelsea three times, Citeh 2 times and Manchester 5 times. The three richest clubs and each victory coinciding with a period of rapid spending. Chelsea have won the CL once and Utd once. The only team to break a monopoly there was us.

No, money doesn't matter.. what does then.

Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #134: May 26, 2014 12:40:59 pm
      A lot of teams do not put defenders on posts when defending corners. Whether its your local Under 15 team or Athletico Madrid. There has got to be a tactical reason for that.

Of course there is, but I do not know the reason  :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #135: May 26, 2014 03:31:34 pm
      John Terry should take note, this is how you celebrate your team winning the European Cup when you're suspended!

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #136: May 26, 2014 03:44:50 pm
      Xabi Alonso ‏@XabiAlonso 10h

It can't get better than this one. La Décimaaaaaaaa!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/1dfRO3vcBC

---------

Personally think Istanbul will never be topped - but each to his own

Congrats Xabi!

Don't think he even got a medal either did he?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #137: May 26, 2014 05:51:30 pm
      Don't think he even got a medal either did he?
      Not sure to be honest

Quick Reply