Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Loic Remy (QPR)

Read 41973 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,269 posts | 4935 
      Re: Loic Remy (QPR)
      Reply #253: Jul 21, 2014 04:51:44 pm
      I wish to Christ people would stop comparing spurs season last season to what might happen to us this..

So do I Bri.

Lazy presumption to make just based on selling one big name player.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #254: Jul 21, 2014 04:56:59 pm
      So do I Bri.

Has nobody thought Spurs had the season they had because City are so good Arsenal and Chelsea had good seasons as they should with there squads and most of all because we bounced back and had an exceptional run. Spurs didn't turn sh*te for selling 1 player and nor will we!
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,923 posts | 964 
      Reply #255: Jul 21, 2014 05:00:52 pm
      Has nobody thought Spurs had the season they had because City are so good Arsenal and Chelsea had good seasons as they should with there squads and most of all because we bounced back and had an exceptional run. Spurs didn't turn sh*te for selling 1 player and nor will we!

WTF?!?!  That's the 2nd reasonable post I've read from you in a matter of minutes  :f_doh:

You need to take your level-headed perspective elsewhere as there is just no room for it on this board!!   :roll:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #256: Jul 21, 2014 05:04:36 pm
      WTF?!?!  That's the 2nd reasonable post I've read from you in a matter of minutes  :f_doh:

You need to take your level-headed perspective elsewhere as there is just no room for it on this board!!   :roll:

ha ha. Summer transfer board is always fun Harry
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #257: Jul 21, 2014 06:51:24 pm
      So do I Bri.

Time will tell, but I've not been convinced that the signings we have made thus far make up for the loss of Suarez, let alone improve on where we finished last season to win us the league.

Squad fillers for mine these types, and players who would join us in a heartbeat under any circumstances.

Premium quality is now very much desired.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #258: Jul 21, 2014 06:59:52 pm
      Time will tell, but I've not been convinced that the signings we have made thus far make up for the loss of Suarez, let alone improve on where we finished last season to win us the league.

Squad fillers for mine these types, and players who would join us in a heartbeat under any circumstances.

Premium quality is now very much desired.

Can and Markovic could easily become that premium player pretty quick and then you might look back and think we moved in the right way with these young 20 year olds just about to come into their own.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #259: Jul 21, 2014 07:43:20 pm
      Can and Markovic could easily become that premium player pretty quick and then you might look back and think we moved in the right way with these young 20 year olds just about to come into their own.

Markovic is of the lot, the player who I believe will command a regular first team role and add something to the side. Lallana too is a good footballer... Lambert, Remy, Lovren, Can... Not sure and with our champions league status and with the funds available, I'm no longer sure we have to take the risk... But if the manager is landing his prime targets so be it... He's earnt the trust I guess.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #260: Jul 21, 2014 08:27:35 pm

Key word "could". Signing young players come with risks. They could become world beaters here or they could fall out of place. No matter how good they look playing for another team, that is irrespective to how they will play for us. The ceiling is high for those two but you can't place all your eggs in players that could be.

You need a mix of "proven" players and "could be" players. I say "proven" because any proven player can move to another club and fail, the risk just is not as high on proven players than on  potential players. You just tend to spend more.
      harrydunn08

• 5,923 posts | 964 
      Reply #261: Jul 21, 2014 08:50:56 pm
      Key word "could". Signing young players come with risks. They could become world beaters here or they could fall out of place. No matter how good they look playing for another team, that is irrespective to how they will play for us. The ceiling is high for those two but you can't place all your eggs in players that could be.

You need a mix of "proven" players and "could be" players. I say "proven" because any proven player can move to another club and fail, the risk just is not as high on proven players than on  potential players. You just tend to spend more.

Yes, but even the proven players and world class signings that some teams make could turn out to be total sh*t.  Fernando Torres was a proven world class player when he went to the Chavs.....  "Ifs and buts" and all that make for interesting debate, but the most important thing is that BR is getting the players that he believes will make us better.  After all, he is the one working with the lads every day in training, and he is the one whose job and reputation is on the line if they don't work out. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6390 
      Reply #262: Jul 21, 2014 09:02:18 pm

Proven players also have bad spells of form, don't ever live up to their potential and also get season ending injuries. So there is no guarantee that buying "proven" players is the best option either. It appears that Brendan is trying to build a deep team capable of absorbing the aforementioned.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #263: Jul 21, 2014 09:03:30 pm
      TBH even if it is just a preseason, I think this American tourney they are about to play in will help BR judge just what is needed.  As far as I know, the full team hasn't even assembled together yet and have not played one semi competitive game. 

We have money... we definitely do with the sale of suarez but I think BR secretly is wanting to see a couple more preseason games with his possible 1-2 starting XI (saying 2 starting XI as we have so many games next season) to see just what is required.

people need to realize that to be competitive on all fronts, we almost need to field two teams.  injuries, exhaustion etc will definitely happen during the season, that's why BR has always said he needs multiple players for the same spot and players to be able to play in more than one position.  just what is needed imo isn't crystal clear, on paper is always different to real life. 
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #264: Jul 21, 2014 09:31:45 pm
      I wish to Christ people would stop comparing spurs season last season to what might happen to us this..
      Some of them could be wishing it goes that way , just to say " i told you so we should have signed this fella and that fella .

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #265: Jul 21, 2014 09:35:05 pm
      Some of them could be wishing it goes that way , just to say " i told you so we should have signed this fella and that fella .

It wouldn't be the first time and probably not the last time ears.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #266: Jul 21, 2014 09:44:04 pm
      It wouldn't be the first time and probably not the last time ears.
      I can't believe the negativity among some Reds AZ , last season i could understand including meself but definitely not this transfer . We're getting the deals done quick as lightning and some right good deals at that . Remy will give us 20 goals at least and Lambert will add another 12 or so , that's Suarez goal tally sorted there already . The defence is been sorted the crux of our problems last season , so i don't know why all the begrudging going on among certain members .

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #267: Jul 21, 2014 09:49:33 pm
      I can't believe the negativity among some Reds AZ , last season i could understand including meself but definitely not this transfer . We're getting the deals done quick as lightning and some right good deals at that . Remy will give us 20 goals at least and Lambert will add another 12 or so , that's Suarez goal tally sorted there already . The defence is been sorted the crux of our problems last season , so i don't know why all the begrudging going on among certain members .

I know for myself I don't think this is going to be an easy year, so many new players..but the spine of the team is there and where Bale was the one and seemingly  only focal point of the Spurs, LFC in my opinion is a far more balanced squad and with what we have added we should be scoring the same goals and giving up less.

So again not going to be some kind of easy road but this idea of the sky is falling is a bit much.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #268: Jul 21, 2014 10:57:21 pm
      Yes, but even the proven players and world class signings that some teams make could turn out to be total sh*t.  Fernando Torres was a proven world class player when he went to the Chavs.....  "Ifs and buts" and all that make for interesting debate, but the most important thing is that BR is getting the players that he believes will make us better.  After all, he is the one working with the lads every day in training, and he is the one whose job and reputation is on the line if they don't work out. 

Read the second paragraph of my post. I pointed out that there is risks in signing proven as well. Every single deal has risks involved. I simply said that proven is less of a risk than players with potential.

I also said I believe in a mix of proven and potential players. Not one or the other but a good mix gives you a balanced team

Proven players also have bad spells of form, don't ever live up to their potential and also get season ending injuries. So there is no guarantee that buying "proven" players is the best option either. It appears that Brendan is trying to build a deep team capable of absorbing the aforementioned.

Any player can get injuries. I can name players who had bright futures get injuries that ended their career. There is equal risk in injuries between potential superstars and players.

I never said it was the best option. I said a team needs a good mix of players with potential and proven players. Not one or the other. Refer back to the second paragraph of my original post. I simply said it is less of a risk because the proven players have confidence and know their abilities. I also said they are more expensive, but sometimes you have to spend a little more to avoid a little more risk. It is all about balancing it all out. Very tricky to do but I believe we have some of the best in the game doing just that.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #269: Jul 21, 2014 11:04:34 pm
      Any player can get injuries. I can name players who had bright futures get injuries that ended their career. There is equal risk in injuries between potential superstars and players.

Don't disagree with you and understand what you are saying....I think the point is that although the risk is equal to the player the risk is far greater to the team "if" it happened to the 60 million player.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6390 
      Reply #270: Jul 21, 2014 11:12:10 pm
      Don't disagree with you and understand what you are saying....I think the point is that although the risk is equal to the player the risk is far greater to the team "if" it happened to the 60 million player.

Yes, if you have a 45m player that gets injured and misses the season it hurts more than if you had 2 20m players and one of them got hurt. I'm thinking Brendan is trying to build good depth this time around.

Although if he builds depth AND somehow gets in a marquee type signing, more power to him, I hope it works out.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #271: Jul 21, 2014 11:24:43 pm
      Cant say I'm jumping up and down about this one. Not over impressed with Remy, and I also thought Bony was the better of the  two.
      I think Brendan is trying to get Suarez's 30 goals from a number of different sources. I imagine  he will be looking to get 10-15 each from Remy, Lallana and Sterling, with Studge adding his complimentary 20, and a few more from the middle of  the park as well.
      May not have top draw signings, but there are a good few goals amongst those we've brought in.
      Bit of luck regarding the jelling, and we could have another terrific season.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #272: Jul 22, 2014 01:17:40 am
      Still think the biggest issue with spurs was the manager change. moreso than the players brought in.

What did they finish 6 points less than the year before and they lost Bale, the manager and had 6 new players?

Just 3 points mate. And BR is no AVB.

Remy is decent. One in two striker. Dirt cheap. Can play as a wide forward too. Nothing wrong with this deal. He'll probably get about 25 starts.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #273: Jul 22, 2014 01:22:04 am
      Totally agree Thaddeus.
      Think he is a great buy for the price...almost a non risk in this current inflated footy economic climate.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #274: Jul 22, 2014 01:32:46 am
      Yes, if you have a 45m player that gets injured and misses the season it hurts more than if you had 2 20m players and one of them got hurt. I'm thinking Brendan is trying to build good depth this time around.

Although if he builds depth AND somehow gets in a marquee type signing, more power to him, I hope it works out.

Those two 20M players will not bring the quality that 40m player will. If you have on gaping hole in your lineup would you want 2 players for 20M or 1 player for 40M? One of those 20M players will sit on the bench and one will play. Yes you have depth if he gets hurt. The 1 player for 40M will bring better quality to the first team. You are suggesting added depth. I understand that. But depth does not alone make you win trophies.

We are at the point where all the players we have added plus some of the youth coming through (Ibe, Suso, etc.) we have quality depth. Plus the signings of Remy and Lovren if/when they come through along with a new LB Brendan is looking at will further increase that depth. With Suarez gone there is a hole in the Starting XI. I do not think we need 2 more attackers to come in. We need that game changing 40M player. If he gets hurt then we still have depth. Otherwise we will be playing one 20M decent wages to be surplus.

Its like saying lets buy 4 guys who will cost 10M instead of 1 guy who will cost 40M because if someone gets hurt we have 3 other guys to play. Quality and quantity need to be balanced. I think we have nailed the quantity part this summer with lots of players coming in and few going out, which really has increased our depth. Now we need to increase quality. Not saying those we have signed are not quality, but I want to see a real game changer coming to Liverpool.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #275: Jul 22, 2014 01:45:50 am
      Its like saying lets buy 4 guys who will cost 10M instead of 1 guy who will cost 40M because if someone gets hurt we have 3 other guys to play. Quality and quantity need to be balanced. I think we have nailed the quantity part this summer with lots of players coming in and few going out, which really has increased our depth. Now we need to increase quality. Not saying those we have signed are not quality, but I want to see a real game changer coming to Liverpool.

Mate, agreed that a game changer would be nice, but making a 40 mil signing does not guarantee a game changer. Ozil is an example (though I do recognize not every big signing is Ozil). So its about balancing risk too. Sometimes banking on one of two 20 mil signings being the next big thing is a safer bet.

For those concerned, and think we need a big signing, we have time and we have money, so just chill. And the big signing may not come in the area of the park which was left empty by our last big name.

On topic; Remy is not a game changer, but if he scores at the same rate as he did last season (14 goals in 24 starts), then he is very good business. Plus he fits the model, bloody fast, versatile forward.

Quick Reply