Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?

Read 28775 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Does Brendan Need A Trophy Next Season?
      Reply #46: May 29, 2014 12:53:30 pm
      Hate to say it, but we only have to look at the mancs to see that its possible to win trophies and still qualify for the CL on a regular basis.
      I know this all comes down to squad depth, but it is achievable.
      Hopefully in a few years we'll be in that position but next season staying in the top 4 with a title challenge would suffice.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #47: May 29, 2014 12:54:03 pm
      As hard as it is to foresee if we'll  become a top 4 team every season, surely everyone must have faith and hope because of the way BR has done it without pumping money into the team. He's got them playing game by game.
      After a defeat or a mediocre performance, the players pick themselves up by the scruff of the neck and make right the wrongs from the last game.

It's the right attitude, it's the attitude of winners so the odds are that success in the form of trophies will follow.

No ones gonna be able to play half heatedly under Brendan.

I think two people have this season (played like they don't give a sh*t), whether that's because the manager never had the personnel to cover their positions or he saw something I never is a different story.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #48: May 30, 2014 03:43:06 pm
      It's very hard to say. Without getting into a whole diatribe here, I'll say no. But it would have to come with finishing in the top four and reaching a semi-final, for example.

Continuing to be in the Champions League is, at the moment of where we're at as a club, more important than winning the League Cup and finishing midtable like a few years ago. Because it'll be the first time in the CL for a number of players and Brendan himself, keeping us steady and in a spot to again play in the competition in 2015-2016 is still more important next season. After that I'll say we need silverware.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,439 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #49: May 30, 2014 03:51:06 pm
      We need to build on next season ,expectations will be higher and a trophy would be grate as long as the team is developing I'll be happy.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #50: May 30, 2014 03:56:17 pm
      Think we should see how much he is backed by the owners first in this current transfer window as that will be the deciding factor given that other teams competing will strengthen.

We should be making sure we get a trophy next season though, if it's based on this season. a strong 2nd place finish in the league on a thin squad is a promising sign. Our cup runs haven't been good enough under Rodgers so I expect things to be improved there.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1531 
      Reply #51: Jun 02, 2014 11:52:16 pm
      Think we all do, don't we ?
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #52: Jun 03, 2014 01:39:06 am
      Number 6 please. And an end to the long wait while your at it.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #53: Jun 03, 2014 03:55:58 am
      No he doesn't. However there is a balance between stagnation and progress. Top four is what we need and as often as possible. I said this for Rafa as well. Fourth is good for the bank balance. We are ahead of schedule, it is nice to challenge but if the others spend a heap I wouldn't risk throwing everything to get a trophy at the risk of atrophy.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #54: Jun 03, 2014 04:33:00 am
      Agree with 'Bubby' on this, next season we are still in transition and possibly the following one also,
      Let's remind ourselves where we have come from, a 7th place finish in season '12/13' to 2nd last season was truly remarkable,
      With the smallest squad to, granted we only had 3 comps latterly 1,
      Next season I'll be happy sustaining a CL spot with another assault on the title , for me that is progression, if we have a good cup run or dare I say win one then even better,

our bread & butter remains the league title always will, and yes CL has become a must but they both come hand in hand,
      A full on assault on the league should in itself take care of that elusive CL berth,

Next season ' We Go Again', Brendan will love the challenge of having CL, he will want to test himself against Europes best managers, and I think with the success & progression he has brought so far FSG will give him the platform to have a go and I mean a proper go in Europe, and even if we are in a tough group initially then fine , when have we ever feared anyone in Europe ?

To be the best you have to beat the best , and if that happens in the group stage or the final what does it matter,
      No one expected us to finish  2nd or even challenge for the EPL last season, so why can't we be the same dark horses in next seasons CL,

Whoever else is bought this summer they will be brought in to fit in , I believe Brendan has made this clear to FSG and prior to signing his contract, next season will mark the 5th FSG has been at the wheel , we are 1 year ahead of schedule so yes we are still in transition, but what a foundation we now have ,

The future is looking very very good IMO and will only get better , success , progression it's happening before our very eyes , the silverware is imminent ,  19, 20, 21, 6, 7 , 8, not lotto numbers, they are title & CL figures I believe are possible under Brendan Rodgers , we have a history of the improbable,
      Sir Bob brought home 3 Eropean cups & plenty more, remember that wee miracle we had at the Ataturk....

BELIEVE !!

YNWA

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1668 
      • YNWA
      Reply #55: Jun 03, 2014 08:05:49 pm
      No, not for me, but it would be nice :)  We've had a brilliant season and we've got CL next year to look forward to. As long as we consolidate, retain the CL place ie. stay in top 2 / 3 of the PL, and hopefully have a decent run in the CL, and may in the home Cups, that would be great. Obviously really hope we strengthen and win the PL, and maybe a cup, but don't think that is a 'must'. We won 11 games in a row in the run in this year, and still missed out - it's not an easy league to win.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #56: Jun 04, 2014 07:02:56 pm
      Well we massively over-achieved last season, and anything similar this time around ought to be applauded. There is a huge amount of fortune involved in the cups as we showed this season with extremely unlucky defeats away at first Man Utd and then Arsenal. If we keep getting draws like those and breaks like we got in the two games it'll be hard for us to win one, but if we keep improving as a team out turn will come. The acid test of course of a good side is in the league and the Champions League. Given what he'll be up against I would have thought another top four finish would be a good achievement (though not the limit of our ambitions), and the same could be said for getting out of the Champions League group.

It's worth remembering though that the fact we've only won one Carling Cup in the last seven seasons is hardly Brendans fault, and if it takes a little longer to improve upon that it's worth being patient as we have an excellent young manager.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #57: Jun 04, 2014 08:27:19 pm

Another one?

To please some of the fans yes.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #58: Aug 18, 2014 11:46:52 am
      Okay ladies and gentlemen - we have a possible four trophies to win this season. They are the Premierleague, the Champions League, the FA Cup and the Carling Cup. If YOU could only pick us to win ONE of the four listed, then which one would it be?

I understand most people are going to opt for the PL simply because it has been 24 years since we had won the league. It'd be a nice trophy to win and would get that monkey off our back. BUT, if I had to choose, I'd cheekily want us to win the Champions League. It'd be a big F-you to the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, City and especially United. The whole of Europe would need to recognise us. It is the elite trophy and how good would it feel to have the blue champions league badge with '6' printed on it?

Bring it home Brendan!
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #59: Aug 18, 2014 12:02:39 pm
      Carling cup....  kidding

PL in a hartbeat as I haven't yet experienced league win. Bring it on
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #60: Oct 02, 2014 12:57:59 pm
      Okay ladies and gentlemen - we have a possible four trophies to win this season. They are the Premierleague, the Champions League, the FA Cup and the Carling Cup. If YOU could only pick us to win ONE of the four listed, then which one would it be?

I understand most people are going to opt for the PL simply because it has been 24 years since we had won the league. It'd be a nice trophy to win and would get that monkey off our back. BUT, if I had to choose, I'd cheekily want us to win the Champions League. It'd be a big F-you to the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, City and especially United. The whole of Europe would need to recognise us. It is the elite trophy and how good would it feel to have the blue champions league badge with '6' printed on it?

Bring it home Brendan!

What the heck was I smoking.

Given how things are seemingly turning out, I would take a good run in the 2nd half of the season and the FA Cup trophy.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #61: Oct 02, 2014 01:10:45 pm

Given how things are seemingly turning out, I would take a good run in the 2nd half of the season and the FA Cup trophy.

keep taking the meds mate we need a complete turnaround in our season if we are to get anywhere near a trophy
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #62: Oct 02, 2014 01:51:44 pm

I will take 4th place in PL. It will keep us in the money and perhaps we will buy few quality players.

Although, my original forecast was not too far from CR.

At the moment, I am very pessimistic - which is not my nature. But, I don't see BR changing much during the games and we seem to be stuck in a rut.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Re: Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?
      Reply #63: Oct 02, 2014 02:45:42 pm
      Surely a Coca Cola/Capital One/Andrex Bogroll Cup or whatever its called this week, would be a step backwards... given the reason Kenny was sacked?

I mean I loved our days out at Wembley.. but it just wouldn't add up, in my view.

Teams progress, or go backwards. You can't congratulate someone for going backwards.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #64: Oct 02, 2014 06:19:24 pm
      You can't congratulate someone for going backwards.

Sure you can....

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/blogs/fla-man-runs-marathon-backward-while-juggling
      Fla. man runs marathon backward, while juggling
      Joe Salter had his heart set on a Guinness World Record as he 'joggled' backwards for 26.2 miles in the Quad-Cities Marathon in Illinois.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #65: Oct 02, 2014 08:44:13 pm
      I would like to think that one of the four outcomes will apply to us come the end of the season.

1. We consolidate a top four position and anything else being a huge bonus.

2. We finish outside of the top four, but win either the FA Cup or Champions League.

3. We win the league

4. All of the above

Just to note, in Kenny's 2nd season he secured us 8th in the league, won us the league cup and got us to the FA Cup final despite being edged by Chelsea. He was then sacked. I do worry for Rodgers.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #66: Oct 02, 2014 08:57:53 pm
      The league cup is starting to look appealing at this stage!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #67: Oct 02, 2014 10:11:28 pm
      I would like to think that one of the four outcomes will apply to us come the end of the season.

1. We consolidate a top four position and anything else being a huge bonus.

2. We finish outside of the top four, but win either the FA Cup or Champions League.

3. We win the league

4. All of the above

Just to note, in Kenny's 2nd season he secured us 8th in the league, won us the league cup and got us to the FA Cup final despite being edged by Chelsea. He was then sacked. I do worry for Rodgers.

Don't worry for Rodgers.

He originally only had a three year contract up till next year.

He negotiated last May (with Luis' performances) a new longer one, till 2018 ,before this season's recent underwhelming performances.

Convenient.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #68: Oct 02, 2014 10:58:55 pm
      Same thing you always are?

Quick Reply