Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Brazil National Team

Read 1629 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Brazil National Team
      May 28, 2014 04:56:57 pm
      Brazil are one of the hot favourites to win the World Cup this year for a number of different reasons, with the most noticeable one being that they are the hosts. I for one do not believe they'll have what it takes to win the world cup. I do not find their squad at all overwhelming. The one stand out player in their team in Neymar, who admittedly has had an average first season at Barcelona. I understand the squad Scolari has picked, as he's previously worked with many of these players, but I genuinely think he's got it wrong.

Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Toronto FC, on loan from QPR), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Atletico Mineiro).

Defenders: Marcelo (Real Madrid), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (AS Roma), Maxwell, Thiago Silva (both Paris St-Germain), David Luiz (Chelsea), Dante (Bayern Munich), Henrique (Napoli).

Midfielders: Paulinho (Tottenham Hotspur), Ramires, Willian, Oscar (all Chelsea), Hernanes (Inter Milan), Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Fernandinho (Manchester City).

Forwards: Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk), Neymar (Barcelona), Fred (Fluminense), Jo (Atletico Mineiro), Hulk (Zenit St Petersburg).

Firstly, I find it quite damning how Scolari has selected a group of players based on his past experience working with them opposed to selecting a group of players on merit. One controversial decision he has made is leaving out Atletico defender Mirranda. The Atletico defender has been one of the stand out defenders in the La Liga this season, yet has been completely overlook. Instead, David Luiz, who has made only 19 league appearances this season, has been selected before him.

Filipe Luis, again, another Atletico defender (left back) who has been completely overlooked. He has been part of an incredibly resilient Atletico team which won the La Liga and were 2 minutes away from Champions League victory. He has featured in 32 league games this season - quite an adequate amount in one of Europes top teams.

Looking at midfield and attack, I find it bizarre as to how Paulinho has been selected before Coutinho. I also find it bizarre as to how Willian has been selected ahead of Coutinho. It's not like Coutinho has set the world alight, but he has been convincingly better than Paulinho at the least. Another player Scolari picked through past relationship. And then we've got Bernard, who has done nothing as he's barely featured, and Jo.. Need I say no more about him.

I don't rate this Brazil team. Many of the players selected have either had average seasons, or barely featured for their clubs. My money is on Spain, yet again. They may have won the confederations cup, but the importance that possesses in comparison to the world cup is minute. If England were to be drawn against either Brazil or Spain, I'd chose us to play Brazil every day of the week.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Re: Brazil National Team
      Reply #1: May 28, 2014 05:04:54 pm
      Whoops, this should perhaps be merged. Didn't know this part of the forum existed.

Quick Reply