Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Rickie Lambert (Southampton)

Read 24036 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Rickie Lambert (Southampton)
      Reply #276: May 31, 2014 07:09:29 pm
      Well this is a welcome surprise.  What a great piece of business this signing will be not just as an extra striker who will give us other options but one who will fit in perfectly with how we play.

I bet he's feeling on top of the world that after 17 years he'll finally become a senior Liverpool player  ;D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #277: May 31, 2014 08:08:41 pm
      Well this is a welcome surprise.  What a great piece of business this signing will be not just as an extra striker who will give us other options but one who will fit in perfectly with how we play.

I bet he's feeling on top of the world that after 17 years he'll finally become a senior Liverpool player  ;D

There's a lot of people who reckon that if we hadn't had Owen breaking through and Fowler as main striker, he would have had a better chance with us.
      It's a pretty hard view to argue against.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #278: May 31, 2014 08:14:49 pm
      Hopefully he'd have a similar impact to that of Bellamy in his second stint with us.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #279: May 31, 2014 08:25:11 pm
      There's a lot of people who reckon that if we hadn't had Owen breaking through and Fowler as main striker, he would have had a better chance with us.
      It's a pretty hard view to argue against.

They could be right mate but if this goes through he's got a fantastic opportunity to prove how wrong we were.  I like that sort of player  ;D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #280: May 31, 2014 08:27:35 pm
      They could be right mate but if this goes through he's got a fantastic opportunity to prove how wrong we were. I like that sort of player  ;D

Not many try harder than a player coming back to his boyhood club with a point to prove.

I don't see the problem some have with this. It's a good bit of business, and perhaps more importantly it shows that FSG have changed their approach about players ages and become more flexible.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #281: May 31, 2014 08:34:09 pm
      Not many try harder than a player coming back to his boyhood club with a point to prove.

I don't see the problem some have with this. It's a good bit of business, and perhaps more importantly it shows that FSG have changed their approach about players ages and become more flexible.

Let's hope it's their belief in Brendan.  Maybe he's made them realise that by buying more experienced players on short contracts, who can improve the squad straight away, doesn't mean we don't buy potential.  The two compliment each other if they're the right quality.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #282: May 31, 2014 08:35:04 pm
      I said way back on page 1 of this thread that I wouldn't be too fussed if missed out on Lambert, but I'm really starting to warm to this transfer the more I think about. Could be a boss addition for 2 years or so.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #283: May 31, 2014 08:37:56 pm
      I said way back on page 1 of this thread that I wouldn't be too fussed if missed out on Lambert, but I'm really starting to warm to this transfer the more I think about. Could be a boss addition for 2 years or so.

Serious...I just don't see any downsides at all to this. If he sits on the bench and does nothing he's only cost us 4m. And the likelihood of him contributing nothing at all is zilch. And I highly doubt his purchase means we can't get our other targets.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #284: May 31, 2014 08:41:20 pm

Not so sure about the bit in bold mate. I think FSG were o.k. with buying Dempsey, just not at the price that Fulham wanted for him. Similarly with Lambert, if the price wasn't right (cheap) maybe we wouldn't be buying him either. 

I think it is with the players costing "real money" that FSG may have stronger views on resale values, although to be fair Lallana is 26 so maybe they are a little more relaxed?

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #285: May 31, 2014 08:44:16 pm
      Not so sure about the bit in bold mate. I think FSG were o.k. with buying Dempsey, just not at the price that Fulham wanted for him. Similarly with Lambert, if the price wasn't right (cheap) maybe we wouldn't be buying him either. 

I think it is with the players costing "real money" that FSG may have stronger views on resale values, although to be fair Lallana is 26 so maybe they are a little more relaxed?

I was thinking more about the policy of buying young players only, then improving them, something a lot of people including Gerrard and Suarez (on record) have disagreed with them about.
      In fairness, I never thought that was written in stone, but many seemed to take it that way, and I've done it meself as well.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #286: May 31, 2014 08:45:19 pm

Is 26 close to retirement or something? Don't get this argument about his age, he has many years ahead of him yet. He's barely gotten started. FSG also paid £20m for Downing who was a little older than Lallana is now so seems like nothing has changed to be honest. The question about them spending big should be associated with people aged 30+ not their mid 20's.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #287: May 31, 2014 08:52:24 pm
      Is 26 close to retirement or something? Don't get this argument about his age, he has many years ahead of him yet. He's barely gotten started. FSG also paid £20m for Downing who was a little older than Lallana is now so seems like nothing has changed to be honest. The question about them spending big should be associated with people aged 30+ not their mid 20's.

See Swabs post above yours mate, it explains the point better than I can.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #288: Jun 01, 2014 12:34:31 am
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #289: Jun 01, 2014 12:48:21 am
      Remember when we signed McAllister and I thought, what a shame, maybe a couple of years ago....

And look how he turned out.

I wont make that mistake again.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #290: Jun 01, 2014 09:34:51 am
      I think lambert is awesome. I know there's the age thing but we'll have a player who's dreamed of this since he was a boy. I bet he was gutted when we let him go but now we,ll have a player who will run through a wall for us. I'd rather have Lambert coming off the bench than Aspas to get us a goal in the last 10 mins.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #291: Jun 01, 2014 09:40:08 am
      Atleast my opinion was clean. You are no doubt the most foul mouthed poster I've come across. England and Liverpool are two different teams yes... but some Liverpool fans support England too,.. and you could see 8 Liverpool players all playing for England this summer... Sterling, Sturridge, Lambert, Gerrard, Henderson, Johnson if we sign Lallana that is 7, If Flanagan is called up from stand bye that is 8.. It's a bad time to be a Liverpool fan and England hater right?

I do honestly rate Lambert but I just think he is a bit older than what we should be going for. If we land Lallana it could work out well. He's not over priced... but if we just get Lambert only I'll be disappointed. Seriously, stop hating and keep it clean.

So I am the most foul mouthed poster you have come across, thanks mate I'll take that as a f***in compliment,

But your still talking sh*te, Lambert will only play well if we sign Lallana too, for F**k sake fella pull your head out of your ARSE,

When did I say it was a bad time to be a Liverpool fan or hater, they are your words not mine, perhaps this is what you  truly feel after all the history of your posts are hardly the most positive I've ever come across ,

If you don't like reading what I post or how you can always use your ignore button,  f***in Simples !!

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #292: Jun 01, 2014 09:46:28 am
      Lambert is a very talented team player. I am happy with this proposed signing and suspect he will play a lot more games than some expect. I can actually see him playing with Suarez or Sturridge in a more orthodox front partnership than SAS is in certain games.

Will add to the squad in his own right - not merely as a sub.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #293: Jun 01, 2014 11:33:43 am
      Imagine having the option in certain games to have Suarez in the number 10 role using his creative skills to feed Sturridge and Lambert.
      Surely that would be very fruitful.
      The more options the better.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #294: Jun 01, 2014 05:00:34 pm
      4 million pounds well spent if you ask me. Quality player, will help in training, comes off the bench and can grab a goal. All in all... Well he's twice the player Aspas is and we'll most likely get around 4mill for him so I'm happy with that trade.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #295: Jun 01, 2014 05:03:57 pm

Literally.
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 10 
      Reply #296: Jun 01, 2014 07:49:46 pm
      At least he won't give the ball away like aspas has done, thinking back to the chelsea game shocking, 100% better option as back up
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #297: Jun 01, 2014 08:36:22 pm
      Two not that obvious things on the Lambert transfer, and apologies if they've been posted before but I can't be trawling through nine pages.

Firstly, the move makes a lot of sense not just from a "playing in the team" perspective. Almost every time we come up against a big target man these days we are found wanting, and our defenders have a "WTF is this? I've never come across this type of opponent before" look about them. The reality is of course that they haven't, not in training anyway, because we haven't got one. The nearest thing we have to a target man is Iago Aspas, so the acquisition of Lambert will significantly improve our capacity to practice defending set-pieces and crosses against a proper header of the ball. It ought to help the likes of Sakho, Mignolet and co no end to come up against Ricky Lambert at Melwood every day.

Secondly, my guess is that it's Brendans idea in a perfect World to not just have him as an "alternative", but to bring on Ricky on late in games when we're in front and need a bit of presence to hold the ball up top. It's hard to find fault in this philosophy (as of course it's hard not to see that in certain games an alternative approach to Sturridge/Suarez may well be needed). Another bi-product though of Lambert coming on late on in games is it will give us a huge profile defensively from set pieces. Ricky is a fine header of the ball and as strong as an ox, my guess is he'll save us at least half as many goals as he'll score.

All in all I'm hugely in favour of what appears to be a very sensible move.

True it's different training against a very very experienced big striker, and our back line can only improve by dealing with him week in week out in practice. I also think he will be used in the games between CL ties against ( so called ) lower opposition.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #298: Jun 01, 2014 09:15:04 pm
      I don't think Rickie will be coming here to sit n the bench, I expect him to see plenty of action, even as part of a front 3 at times.

For £4million I think this a very shrewd signing.

Quick Reply