Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 284271 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #1196: May 07, 2016 09:25:15 am
      The consistency he lacks will come with age - if the lad is still here when he's 25; we could, potentially, be watching a top player, week in week out.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,691 posts | 3711 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1197: May 07, 2016 11:06:22 am
      We found our Yaya toure; Pogba type of player. He has huge potential. He needs to find consistency. He's brilliant.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1198: May 07, 2016 08:11:17 pm
      We found our Yaya toure; Pogba type of player. He has huge potential. He needs to find consistency. He's brilliant.

I don't really see this type of comparison. He's much more like someone like Vieira or Keane.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,691 posts | 3711 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1199: May 07, 2016 08:20:19 pm
      I don't really see this type of comparison. He's much more like someone like Vieira or Keane.
      OK agree a little with you however he has that directness and burst of energy, sprint of Yaya. Maybe less Pogba agreed because he is not that critical in front of goal.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1200: May 07, 2016 08:59:08 pm
      If we're comparing him to players I can see some Michael Ballack in him... Might be because he's German though.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1201: May 07, 2016 10:41:32 pm
      Future Captain material, so utterly in awe of him against Villarreal on Thursday night, amazing to watch, keep up the hard work Emre.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1202: May 07, 2016 10:49:48 pm
      Future Captain material, so utterly in awe of him against Villarreal on Thursday night, amazing to watch, keep up the hard work Emre.

More forceful than a storm in winter on the Shetland Isles! A real force of nature - super human!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1203: May 07, 2016 10:53:58 pm
      More forceful than a storm in winter on the Shetland Isles! A real force of nature - super human!

Yep, he's that good FMS  8)

Coolness personified  :laugh:
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1204: May 07, 2016 11:16:09 pm

I dint see that myself mate. Both of those players had so much tenacity, they were as much about the tackle as they were about the pass or the shot. I don't see quite that type of player in Emre (not to say he can't tackle mind because he can).

I actually think the Michael Ballack comparison isn't such a bad one. The Yaya Toure one isn't so bad either BUT he will need to add goals to his game in order to justify such a comparison. He has a high ceiling in term of potential and at times his performance is superb but he still has some kinks to iron out in my opinion.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #1205: May 07, 2016 11:19:23 pm
      i have not been a big fan of Can, but can see what he brings to the team and his presents and desire cant be faulted. he was missed when he was not available for selection. well done can
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1206: May 07, 2016 11:22:13 pm
      So many comparisons of the sort of player Can might emulate.

Let's just wait and see, maybe he might set the mould.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1207: May 08, 2016 01:07:42 am
      I dint see that myself mate. Both of those players had so much tenacity, they were as much about the tackle as they were about the pass or the shot. I don't see quite that type of player in Emre (not to say he can't tackle mind because he can).

I actually think the Michael Ballack comparison isn't such a bad one. The Yaya Toure one isn't so bad either BUT he will need to add goals to his game in order to justify such a comparison. He has a high ceiling in term of potential and at times his performance is superb but he still has some kinks to iron out in my opinion.

Emre doesn't have the strike on him that Toure has, he's not as good in the final third, and he offers much more energy and running. As well as this, Klopp continues to prefer him in a deeper role. He reminds me quite a bit of Vieira. Both commanding presences, both knew how to run a game, both very good, but not out of this world when it comes to passing, both excellent at tackling, etc.

Obviously he has a long way to go and if he gets anywhere near Vieira's level he'll be doing very well, but that's the type of player I see Klopp developing him into.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1208: May 08, 2016 12:04:35 pm
      Emre doesn't have the strike on him that Toure has, he's not as good in the final third, and he offers much more energy and running. As well as this, Klopp continues to prefer him in a deeper role. He reminds me quite a bit of Vieira. Both commanding presences, both knew how to run a game, both very good, but not out of this world when it comes to passing, both excellent at tackling, etc.

Obviously he has a long way to go and if he gets anywhere near Vieira's level he'll be doing very well, but that's the type of player I see Klopp developing him into.

If Emre gets to 75% of the player Viera was we will have a hell of a player in our hands. I don't personally think he could ever bring the athleticism and physicality that a Viera had but Emre looks fitter, has a better engine and covered more ground this season which is good to see.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #1209: May 08, 2016 12:31:08 pm
      For me, it's who partners Can in midfield next season as he gets better every time I see him and still only 22.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #1210: May 08, 2016 07:58:13 pm
      For me, it's who partners Can in midfield next season as he gets better every time I see him and still only 22.

Agreed. Let's build our team around him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1211: May 08, 2016 08:08:53 pm
      So many comparisons of the sort of player Can might emulate.

Let's just wait and see, maybe he might set the mould.

maybe he will just be Emre Can and that will be enough.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1212: May 09, 2016 03:02:51 am
      Agreed. Let's build our team around him.

We don't have any player worthy of building a team around (and an ideal world you don't want to build your team around a single player). Sturridge is the only one who is currently at the level that we could do that with, but his injury problems mean that's too big of a risk.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1213: May 11, 2016 06:43:12 pm
      Emre Can: 'Everyone has fallen in love with JĆ¼rgen Klopp
      Emre Can, youā€™ve been playing in England for two years and youā€™ve now received the German Football Ambassador public prize. How does it feel to be recognized by fans from Germany and all over the world?

Itā€™s a great honor to receive the award. I always make sure I work hard every day and give everything in the game, in training and off the pitch too. So I can only say thank you.

Previous winners of the award include Sami Khedira, AndrĆ© SchĆ¼rrle und Mesut Ɩzil. How does it feel to be in such company?

It is a great honor, and it makes me proud to be awarded this prize. Great footballers with big names have won the award already and for me to win now is a beautiful moment.

The German Football Ambassador is awarded to a professional player or coach from Germany who aims to use football to make the world a better place. What initiative or project is close to your heart?

Iā€™m not that experienced yet but when you see all the people around the world that watch football matches, thatā€™s really something beautiful. There are no culture clashes, racism or religion, just football ā€“ thatā€™s great. I enjoy supporting projects involving disadvantaged young people and people with disabilities.

Youā€™ve been in England for two years now. Whatā€™s so different in Liverpool compared to Germany?

They just have a different mentality here; itā€™s something I experience every day. For example when you get in a taxi, the driver knows you are going to the football club. The whole city simply lives for the club and itā€™s a great honor to play for them, not everyone is so lucky. Itā€™s just great fun.

What are the differences between the Premier League and the Bundesliga?

This is a much harder league and referees are more inclined to let things go. The football is also much faster here.

The footballing rivalry between Germany and England is legendary. What do people say when they find out you come from Germany?

German players have a very, very important status in England. Here they often talk about the (strong) German mentality and I think I have taken that on board.

Looking from the outside, it seems the whole of England has fallen in love with JĆ¼rgen Klopp. Is that your perception? What do people say about him?

Yes, I also have the impression that everyone has fallen in love with him. Heā€™s just a super coach who knows a lot about football. But off the pitch heā€™s a very down to earth person who, as everyone knows, is very emotional. Heā€™s also just very honest and the fans love him here.

How was your first encounter with Klopp? What did he say to you and was it inspiring?

It was the same as to every other but he did say one thing that was interesting. The first time we met he said ā€˜Many people think youā€™re a leader but you still have some way to go. But weā€™ll manage Emre.ā€™ That is also how I see it.

Is it easy to accept criticism from him?

Definitely! He is a very honest type. What he said to me at the first meeting was the truth. I know, that the coach is there to help me develop further and our relationship is very, very good. Even with Brendan Rodgers I gained experience in another position, which was very helpful.

At only 15 years old you went from Eintracht Frankfurt to Bayern Munich to become professional. What have you learnt through your football life so far that you would like to tell young players?

You always have to believe in yourself! I think that is the most important thing. And you always have to work hard, regardless of whether it is a training session or a game.

Back then it was like this: I moved at 14 or 15-years old to the boarding school of Bayern Munich. That really helped me, not only on the pitch, but also off the pitch. I had to quickly learn to work for myself and had to grow up very quickly. You get back what you give in life.

At 17 years old you were the captain of the Germany U17 national team and you played for the Bayern Munich first team when you were 18-years old. You always want to set the right tone on the pitch. Where does it come from?

Iā€™m just that type of person. But I believe that I am a different person off the pitch than I am on it. On the pitch I am a bit louder and off the pitch I am quieter. Iā€™m not the quietest, but also not the craziest. Iā€™m just like that.

Who was your idol as a child?

Zinedine Zidane. He was just so fun to watch. When you saw him playing football, you got a smile on your face. If you saw how he stroked the ball. He was a great footballer.

In interviews you have always said that you could still learn more. What exactly is ā€œmoreā€? Do you only want to be better as a footballer? Did you ever have time to think about what you still want to do outside of football?

I can speak three different languages ā€“ Turkish, English and German ā€“ but I would still like to learn another language. I think always think itā€™s important to not just be lazy and sit around at home when youā€™re off the pitch.

Next month when the season is over you will have a little time to sit around at home. But we have a European Championship ahead of us. What role do you want to play?

I want to be at the European Championships. And I also want to play there. It is not my goal to go to the Euros and say ā€˜Okay, Iā€™m sitting on the bench.ā€™ My goal is to be on the pitch, but I always respect the decision of the coach.

But first you are in the Europa League final with Liverpool against Sevilla. How much are you looking forward to the final?

The feeling is great. When you see how far we have come from playing in the Europa League at the start of the season: in Russia and many other countries.

Our main goal has always been to reach Basel in the final and we have achieved that. If you look at what we have experienced in Europe this season, for example, the matches against Dortmund, then I think we really deserve to be in the final. We took a lot of power from those matches and have given everything. Now we want to win there.

http://www.dw.com/en/liverpool-star-emre-can-everyone-has-fallen-in-love-with-j%C3%BCrgen-klopp/a-19249926
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1214: May 11, 2016 09:58:59 pm
      Terrible, terrible performance.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1215: May 12, 2016 07:29:05 am
      Looked like he was saving himself for next week.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1216: May 12, 2016 07:47:32 am
      Bloody awful performance. Sublime to the ridiculous in two games. 
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1217: May 12, 2016 09:58:24 am
      Can and Coutinho collected two trophies yesterday on the lap of honour, were they for young player and player of the season?
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,192 posts | 834 
      Reply #1218: May 12, 2016 11:10:09 am
      One off game from Emre, I think the whole team didn't do well.

Hopefully he puts in the sort of performance he did against Villarreal in Europa League final

Quick Reply