Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 289737 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #1472: Mar 08, 2017 11:24:32 am
      Cue the "he isn't worth 70k" posts. He's a German international and features regularly in our first team, OF COURSE he's worth 70K per week in todays market.

Only at Liverpool do we as fans worry about overpaying players, that's the result of the conditioning which the successive carpetbagger owners have bred.

You don't hear Arsenal fans saying "Mertersaker ain't worth 100K a week, he ain't in the team" or Manc fans saying the same about Luke Shaw (even though in both cases it's probably true). No, all THEY worry about is whether or not they're winning trophies.

Us on the other hand, "sell Sturridge, he's on 120K a week and he's not in the team", or "sell Can he isn't worth 70K a week".

It's simple, if Jürgen wants Can (and I've no idea if he does) then he's worth 70K a week. If not, sell him and sure as sweet f*** someone else will pay him it.

You'll be moaning that we're paying too much in wages next and that our wage bill doesn't meet where we finish in the league :D.

Mertesacker is club captain & Shaw got paid that much to fend off Chelsea. Overpaying for players is what's gotten us into the position we're in today (constant 6th-7th place finishes) and that's a result of not offering enough when it comes to signing the really good players.

I couldn't give two shits whether he gets it or not really but him asking for 70k for parity reasons is a joke. He's not a starter so he shouldn't be paid the same as those who start far more often than he does. This is one of those times where I strongly agree with incentivised contracts.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1473: Mar 08, 2017 11:26:43 am
      Nail.Head.

What the Fuk has some of this support base become?..

If fan's want to worry about certain topics like this then why can't they? Didn't realise there was a set of rules that everybody had to follow.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #1474: Mar 08, 2017 11:31:22 am
      If fan's want to worry about certain topics like this then why can't they? Didn't realise there was a set of rules that everybody had to follow.

Its not the job of supporters to worry what player X earns, that's down to the manager who will have a formed opinion of player X, if Klopp believes Can is worth £70K so be it...

If Danny ain't worth £100K & Can ain't worth £70k then let's not have a moan when we can't attract players because our pay structure is sh*te.
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #1475: Mar 08, 2017 11:38:44 am
      I was asking what your point was, bringing Lucas into the discussion for no apparent reason. As for my point, I thought it was fairly obvious: I don't think he did very well in that game and doesn't really deserve the praise he's been receiving, particularly as he should have been sent off at a point of the game where we were struggling to keep a hold of the match.

I've seen people giving him good grades while at the same time saying 'he was lucky to stay on the pitch', which I find weird - they're basically praising a player knowing the only reason he did not potentially cost us a game was due to a bad decision by the referee.

Sorry mate I disagree with this on a few points, firstly, he DID have a very good game. Everybody did, and he played his part as well as everybody else. Secondly, not every foul is a yellow card offence, the incident you refer to, I presume, was the one when he got injured ( probably not seriously, if at all) but I actually thought it looked worse than it was due to the opposing player jumping far higher than was necessary.

Look, I get that since he came back in from injury he has performed a whole lot worse than we hoped he was capable of, and that we have seen glimpses of in the past, but to say he didn't have a good game it unfair at best!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1476: Mar 08, 2017 11:43:58 am
      Its not the job of supporters to worry what player X earns, that's down to the manager who will have a formed opinion of player X, if Klopp believes Can is worth £70K so be it...

If Danny ain't worth £100K & Can ain't worth £70k then let's not have a moan when we can't attract players because our pay structure is sh*te.

Whilst I agree that this is ultimately up to owners and manager it is the right of every fan to question anything and everything they want to on an open forum, if you see it as irrelevant then don't enter that particular discussion, fairly simple really.
      For the record in today's market Can is easily worth £70k per week and I do think he is an ok squad player going forwards into next season but i would not want him as a regular starter unless he improves dramatically.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #1477: Mar 08, 2017 11:46:56 am
      Can deserves 70k a week when he starts performing consistently to a high standard.

Until he does so he is in no position to dictate his salary.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1478: Mar 08, 2017 12:09:45 pm
      Cue the "he isn't worth 70k" posts. He's a German international and features regularly in our first team, OF COURSE he's worth 70K per week in todays market.

Only at Liverpool do we as fans worry about overpaying players, that's the result of the conditioning which the successive carpetbagger owners have bred.

You don't hear Arsenal fans saying "Mertersaker ain't worth 100K a week, he ain't in the team" or Manc fans saying the same about Luke Shaw (even though in both cases it's probably true). No, all THEY worry about is whether or not they're winning trophies.

Us on the other hand, "sell Sturridge, he's on 120K a week and he's not in the team", or "sell Can he isn't worth 70K a week".

It's simple, if Jürgen wants Can (and I've no idea if he does) then he's worth 70K a week. If not, sell him and sure as sweet f*** someone else will pay him it.

Spot on 'Mick.

It's why Klopp is manager and we're all sat around typing bollocks on the internet ;)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1479: Mar 08, 2017 12:48:55 pm

I don't know why you're so sure someone else would pay him that sort of money. Apart from Juventus, the other clubs he's been linked to don't easily pay that sort of money to their players.

As for Shabs' point that "it's not the job of the supporters" to worry about players wages, well, that pretty much extends to absolutely everything - it's not our job to worry about tactics either, it's also entirely up to the manager, but we do worry, we do discuss it, and no one seems to have a problem with that. Don't know why some people feel the urge to limit what people should or not care about.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #1480: Mar 08, 2017 01:05:41 pm
      I don't know why you're so sure someone else would pay him that sort of money. Apart from Juventus, the other clubs he's been linked to don't easily pay that sort of money to their players.

As for Shabs' point that "it's not the job of the supporters" to worry about players wages, well, that pretty much extends to absolutely everything - it's not our job to worry about tactics either, it's also entirely up to the manager, but we do worry, we do discuss it, and no one seems to have a problem with that. Don't know why some people feel the urge to limit what people should or not care about.

The only 'concern' I have with wages is when we underpay players & have a performance related wage structure which itself is a shackle on player recruitment...

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1481: Mar 08, 2017 01:20:45 pm
      Is it good value paying a player of his quality £70k who is at best a squad player.
      Willian at the Chavs on similar wages!

There again he looks at Lovren and Migs on similar salaries and feels he has a valid cause.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1482: Mar 08, 2017 01:22:47 pm

I got the impression (could be wrong) that Klopp likes Can and would like him to stay; but if Can doesn't revise his demand Klopp would be willing to let him go.

Ever considered the fact Klopp doesn't think he's worth it either?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1483: Mar 08, 2017 01:32:07 pm

Don't know why some people feel the urge to limit what people should or not care about.
      It's less about "limiting" and more about "separation" of the two (football and finance) really, in my opinion obviously.

For an awful lot of football fans it's the football which comes first: they are the type like to talk football rather than read the 'Financial Times'. The type who celebrate winning cups more than they celebrate a new shirt deal.

I guess, for most of us, that [football] is the actual reason why we started following the Reds.

"Football first" for me but each to their own.😎

Is Emre Can good enough to play for Liverpool?

That's the real question... NOT...

Is Emre Can good enough to play for Liverpool at £30k a week but not good enough to play for Liverpool at  £70k?

He's either good enough or he's F***ing not. End of. (in my opinion obviously).  😆

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2017 01:47:07 pm by bad boy bubby »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1484: Mar 08, 2017 01:54:22 pm
      If it's Emre Can or someone better, then I take someone better. If it's Emre Can or someone worse....well then let's keep Can.

That's pretty simple isn't it? 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #1485: Mar 08, 2017 01:56:38 pm
      If it's Emre Can or someone better, then I take someone better. If it's Emre Can or someone worse....well then let's keep Can.

That's pretty simple isn't it? 

I'd pay him.

I think he's good enough, albeit going through a bad spell, but as I've said a few times I think he'd make a better CB than a CM but not sure if that's how he sees himself.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1486: Mar 08, 2017 01:58:22 pm
      I got the impression (could be wrong) that Klopp likes Can and would like him to stay; but if Can doesn't revise his demand Klopp would be willing to let him go.

Ever considered the fact Klopp doesn't think he's worth it either?

After Leicester Klopp was wondering if any of  them were  worth it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1487: Mar 08, 2017 02:02:47 pm
      It's less about "limiting" and more about "separation" of the two (football and finance) really, in my opinion obviously.

For an awful lot of football fans it's the football which comes first: they are the type like to talk football rather than read the 'Financial Times'. The type who celebrate winning cups more than they celebrate a new shirt deal.

I guess, for most of us, that [football] is the actual reason why we started following the Reds.

"Football first" for me but each to their own.😎

Is Emre Can good enough to play for Liverpool?

That's the real question... NOT...

Is Emre Can good enough to play for Liverpool at £30k a week but not good enough to play for Liverpool at  £70k?

He's either good enough or he's f**king not. End of. (in my opinion obviously).  😆

And "football first" does not necessarily mean people cannot or do not care about anything else.

There's a misguided underlying assumption in many cases that if someone dares to discuss accounting, or players wages, or whatever another person is not particularly fussed with, then that's all they care about instead of putting football first - which is simply not the case in the vast majority of times.

It just happens that some people do not find it that difficult to care about winning first, but also being interested in other aspects of the football club.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #1488: Mar 08, 2017 02:10:16 pm
      Emre Can ‘could return to Germany’ if Liverpool contract dispute continues.

Jack Lusby
      NewsRumour Mill
      8 March 2017
      With Emre Can still yet to agree a new contract with Liverpool, the German midfielder is believed to be the subject of interest from around Europe.

The 23-year-old’s representatives have been in talks with the club for months, but no breakthrough has been made regarding Can’s future.

Can will enter the final year of his contract this summer, leaving Liverpool in a difficult situation in the transfer market, as they consider whether to cash in on their asset.

That is exactly what the Mirror‘s David Maddock suggests could happen, due to the midfielder’s wage demands.

Currently earning around £35,000 a week, Can’s representatives are said to be asking for over double for the midfielder to sign an extension.

But as the club “will refuse to pay over the odds,” Maddock claims a host of clubs from the continent could make their move for the Germany international this summer.

He names Bayer Leverkusen, Hoffenheim and RB Leipzig as possible destinations in Can’s homeland, while Juventus are also credited with an interest.

It would be a disappointing end to a promising spell on Merseyside if Can were to leave at the end of the season, despite a relatively muted campaign under Jürgen Klopp in 2016/17.

The 49-year-old clearly rates his compatriot, with only four players having made more appearances than Can this season so far, which makes the possibility of Liverpool refusing a wage increase to around £70,000 a week bemusing.

Can is currently enjoying a run in Klopp’s starting lineup due to injury to Jordan Henderson, and was hugely impressive in Saturday’s 3-1 victory at home to Arsenal.

He is set to keep his place for Sunday’s clash with Burnley, with the captain still sidelined with a foot injury.

This magnifies the need to settle Can’s contract dispute, though Klopp is believed to be pursuing Leipzig’s Naby Keita as he looks to add to his midfield ranks in the summer.

While it has been previously suggested that Can could leave if no agreement is made, this is mere common sense.

And that the same source claimed the Reds were chasing Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette among six high-profile summer targets a week ago pours doubt on these reports.

Speaking in November, Can reaffirmed his commitment to the case at Anfield.

“I am very happy here in Liverpool,” he said. “It is a big club and I am enjoying it playing here.”

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/03/emre-can-return-germany-liverpool-contract-dispute-continues/

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1489: Mar 08, 2017 02:12:26 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1490: Mar 08, 2017 02:27:19 pm
      One thing I don't agree with is the club (or the agent) doing their business by leaking info to the press. Just sit down together and each of you make your best offer. If neither will  budge,  then move on and let him find a new  club in the summer. All  this back and forth is useless and honestly just drags the club down.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1491: Mar 08, 2017 02:43:02 pm
      I don't know how much the lad is on (rumoured 35k a week) but he hasn't really done much to warrant a pay rise, not really fussed if he stays or goes but come next year he is only a squad player.

In fairness Couts hasn't done much to justify his recent pay rise either but he's still worth every penny.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1492: Mar 08, 2017 03:07:35 pm
      Liverpool don't need to shift their stance on Can.

It's up to him to coerce the club into giving him a better contract. And to do that, he must put in much better performances on the field.

That's brutal, but fair - this is Liverpool FC, not some mid table fodder.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1493: Mar 08, 2017 03:44:02 pm
      I don't overly give a f*** about Emre Can, other than he's a decent player. Nor do I give a f*** about supporters discussing salaries of any player.

I was simply making the point that successive American owners have turned us into accountants rather than football fans. I personally only give a f*** about wages on two occasions:

1. When our frugality causes us to miss out on players who the manager wants to sign.

2. When reporters talk bollocks and give the impression we pay more in player wages than Man City.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1494: Mar 08, 2017 04:05:52 pm
      I am not a fan of Can, whether you believe he is good enough or not, surely he deserves a 70-80k a week rise?

The manager seems to believe in him and consider him an integral squad player, a player that's in and around the first team, surely that warrants a 70-80k wage?

Quick Reply