Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 281949 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #1518: Mar 14, 2017 08:38:13 am
      What exactly has he done to merit being given a new contract at ALL?  Let alone on his alleged wage demands.

If we are truly aiming to be a title winning side that can compete in the Champions League consistently, what has he shown during his time with us to suggest that he can be anywhere near the required level, even as a squad member?

He's average at best.  Like 90% of our squad.  Sell him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1519: Mar 14, 2017 08:49:21 am
      Seems like he wants to play where he feels is his best position.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/841570594881695745
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1520: Mar 14, 2017 09:01:52 am
      So what if Can wants a 100K, the club can afford it...

Any wonder why players don't show loyalty to a club when a club does not show loyalty back...
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1521: Mar 14, 2017 09:07:57 am

Any wonder why players don't show loyalty to a club when a club does not show loyalty back...

What sort of football model is this where every player gets what ever they want?
      He is an employee nothing to do with loyalty, he doesnt play for free.

How long do you think we would be in business if every player was offered £100K a week.

When he shows he is worth £100K a week fine.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1522: Mar 14, 2017 09:48:31 am
      If all our first team were on 100k a week their part of our wage bill would be 57M.

The clubs wage bill is 200M.

Seems to me then that there are plenty at LFC stealing a living and it's probably not the 23 year old German midfielder who has been one of the most used players for the last 3 seasons.

No way would Henderson command 4x his transfer fee so he shouldn't be on 4x the wages IMO.

That wage/fee formula doesn't make any sense in real life, and Alberto Moreno was one of our most used players up to last season as well (more games than Emre Can for sure): did that alone merit him becoming one of our best paid players at the end of last season?

That's simply flawed logic and a way of making complicated a question which is pretty simple: does Emre Can deserve 100k a week? Or can we do much better with that money?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1523: Mar 14, 2017 09:52:28 am

So it's about £100k a week plus playing in a specific position where someone else has been doing a far better job?

One would think he was at least good to be making so many demands.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1524: Mar 14, 2017 10:01:06 am

So what's the excuse for players like Sterling, Suarez, Torres, Mascherano etc. being shown loyalty yet screwing the club over?

But he's not going to be one of the top most used players going forward unless he considerably improves so why is that not allowed to be taken into consideration?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1525: Mar 14, 2017 10:06:36 am
      What exactly has he done to merit being given a new contract at ALL?

Like I just said - I think he's played the most games of any outfield player in the last 3 years.  That fact proves that both the previous, and current manager see him as an integral member of the team.

Now whether they are right or not - and that's another question - on that basis alone he is more than entitled to ask for better terms than he got when he was 20 and had never played a Premier League game.

Not rocket science.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #1526: Mar 14, 2017 10:13:24 am
      I think the gamble of letting him leave and him potentially blossoming isn't worth it.

I think he's going to be a very good midfielder when he starts to focus on one part of his game.

I'd pay him more and let him stay, i'd hate to see him go somewhere and turn into a boss. The attributes he pocesses are all there, he just needs a bit more football intelligence to be a very very good player.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1527: Mar 14, 2017 10:16:04 am
      That wage/fee formula doesn't make any sense in real life, and Alberto Moreno was one of our most used players up to last season as well (more games than Emre Can for sure): did that alone merit him becoming one of our best paid players at the end of last season?

No because the manager had decided he wasn't going to use him as often in the future.

That's simply flawed logic and a way of making complicated a question which is pretty simple: does Emre Can deserve 100k a week? Or can we do much better with that money?

Assuming it is £100k, which I doubt, then it's a possble extra £65k a week (£3.3M) a year.  From the clubs moneyball perspective - how much is a new £100k per year centre mid going to cost in wages and transfer?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1528: Mar 14, 2017 10:23:18 am
      No because the manager had decided he wasn't going to use him as often in the future.

And that could well be the case here again, especially as a player who has been mediocre at best seems to be demanding to play at a specific position. As the Moreno case shows, sometimes a player being used frequently says more about the lack of depth in the squad than his actual importance to the team.

Assuming it is £100k, which I doubt, then it's a possble extra £65k a week (£3.3M) a year.  From the clubs moneyball perspective - how much is a new £100k per year centre mid going to cost in wages and transfer?

I don't think Emre Can has improved at all since he arrived. So one could say a player of similar quality would be whatever he cost in transfer fee (£8m?) and £35k wages (knowing the transfer market is far from efficient so those are conjectures at best), offset by whatever Can's transfer fee would be.

Getting a central midfielder who in the current market makes around £100k, however, should mean actually improving on Can and not simply signing a player of a similar level. In that case - it would probably cost more, but I thought we cared about winning, not accounting?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1529: Mar 14, 2017 10:26:56 am
      What exactly has he done to merit being given a new contract at ALL? 

I may be mistaken, but didn't he score the winner on Sunday too?

Not a reason in it's self, but at least he's trying.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1530: Mar 14, 2017 10:28:09 am
      And that could well be the case here again, especially as a player who has been mediocre at best seems to be demanding to play at a specific position.

Of course it could be! That's my point.  And if it is he won't be getting a new contract and with him entering the final years of it the club will look to sell him so no need for anybody to sweat about it.

it would probably cost more, but I thought we cared about winning, not accounting?

Me and you care more about winning but unfortunately we don't get to write the cheques. 

Gut feeling is that Klopp likes him, gut feeling is that while he shouldn't be an automatic first team player he's an improvement in the 18 ahead of Kevin Stewart and Lucas and the club will give him an extra couple of million a year especially with us playing European football next year.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #1531: Mar 14, 2017 10:36:09 am
      Not his biggest fan but I'd still probably give him a new contract and a bit longer to try and prove himself. Selling him and replacing him with another central midfielder is exactly the kind of mistake we've been making for too long now. Yes we'd probably have a better player in the first team but we'd still be stuck with Kevin Stewart as our backup and the squad depth stays the same.

Keep Can and sign a midfielder. That's what we should be doing.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1532: Mar 15, 2017 02:56:20 am
      Not his biggest fan but I'd still probably give him a new contract and a bit longer to try and prove himself. Selling him and replacing him with another central midfielder is exactly the kind of mistake we've been making for too long now. Yes we'd probably have a better player in the first team but we'd still be stuck with Kevin Stewart as our backup and the squad depth stays the same.

That makes no sense whatsoever.  How much is "a bit longer" to try and prove himself?  another season?  Because a new contract would likely be 3+ years, at least.  So basically you'd be giving him another THREE SEASONS to prove himself. 

And why is it a "mistake" to replace him with another central midfielder?  If we can find a better one (which really shouldn't be too hard), why would it be a "mistake" to replace Can?  "no no, we can't replace a mediocre player with a better one."  Huh?  Don't give me this rubbish about "gelling" either, we signed Mane and he was ready from the word go.  It can be done.

No, the club cannot afford to give 100K a week to mediocre players who contribute very little.  Because if even the average players are on 100K a week, then even the moderately good players will want 150K or more a week.  See the problem here?  FSG don't have/won't spend that kind of money.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1533: Mar 15, 2017 12:09:58 pm
      That makes no sense whatsoever.  How much is "a bit longer" to try and prove himself?  another season?  Because a new contract would likely be 3+ years, at least.  So basically you'd be giving him another THREE SEASONS to prove himself. 

And why is it a "mistake" to replace him with another central midfielder?  If we can find a better one (which really shouldn't be too hard), why would it be a "mistake" to replace Can?  "no no, we can't replace a mediocre player with a better one."  Huh?  Don't give me this rubbish about "gelling" either, we signed Mane and he was ready from the word go.  It can be done.

No, the club cannot afford to give 100K a week to mediocre players who contribute very little.  Because if even the average players are on 100K a week, then even the moderately good players will want 150K or more a week.  See the problem here?  FSG don't have/won't spend that kind of money.

Personally think there's a middle ground between you lads on this one. Chats is saying for all that people aren't convinced by Can most people would agree he's better than Kevin Stewart and as such we should move Can down to back-up and Stewart even further down or moved on.  In this sense I agree because that would improve the squad and the first team, clearly the best way to progress on the pitch.

Do take your point though about the £100k, if we're giving back-up players £100k then the knock effect would be too great and therefore could come around to understanding the club's position on this one. Either take a contract that reflects back-up status or we'll have to sell him.

Unfortunately from Emre's perspective he sees himself as a near guaranteed starter, when fit. So to him that should be reflected in the offer, so you can quite easily see where the conflict will arise from. In all eventualities I think we can all agree we want someone better coming in for CM in the summer that knocks everyone down a peg.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1534: Mar 19, 2017 06:42:53 pm
      Who would've thought.  The whipping boy for so many weeks, likely get MOTM today, or certainly one of main contenders.  Form is turning around,  really good today from the lad.
      Is benefiting from Hendo's absense tbh, think he's enjoying the extra responsibility playing more of a 'Hendo role'.
      Am not saying he's the new SG, he's plenty to learn, but he's far from the ball of sh*te some on here have been peddling.
      Needs to keep it going though and perform at this level more consistently.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1535: Mar 19, 2017 06:46:39 pm
      Who would've thought.  The whipping boy for so many weeks, likely get MOTM today, or certainly one of main contenders.  Form is turning around,  really good today from the lad.
      Is benefiting from Hendo's absense tbh, think he's enjoying the extra responsibility playing more of a 'Hendo role'.
      Am not saying he's the new SG, he's plenty to learn, but he's far from the ball of sh*te some on here have been peddling.
      Needs to keep it going though and perform at this level more consistently.

You know how it goes mate.
      The forum needs a scapegoat, along with a bandwagon to jump on for many.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1536: Mar 19, 2017 09:05:24 pm
      The forum needs a scapegoat, along with a bandwagon to jump on for many.

And what is even more predictable is that when said player finally has a decent game the so called bandwagonners apparently had it all wrong the whole time! Can played well today but the German Kante he is not. I'd happily see a three-four player churn in our midfield over the summer. I like Gigi, he brings a bit of everything to the table but It wouldn't bother me too much if Can, Lucas, Stewart and even Hendo were replaced if I'm honest.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1537: Mar 19, 2017 09:43:13 pm
      Can was undoubtedly excellent today.

However after his promising first season here I expected him to be performing like he did today on a regular basis by now.

If he keeps this performance level for the rest of this season he will deserve a new contract.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1538: Mar 21, 2017 10:52:28 am
      The forum needs a scapegoat

Football fans need a scapegoat.  Always been the case.  It's nothing special about modern day.

I remember going to Anfield one season and everyone used to groan and scream when Gary Ablett got the ball and he hadn't done anything wrong.  Some of the stuff that used to get shouted at him I wouldn't expect at the ground today.

Anyway, everyone can get off the platform and hop back onboard the Emre Can train.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #1539: Mar 25, 2017 10:14:26 pm
      He's f***in sh*te . Hope i made that clear. What is it with fans who rate F***ing sh*t players ? He's slow , cumbersome , lacking positional sense and an all round poor Footballer.
      Just watch him play. He's sh*te. Not suddenly going to turn into a worldbeater , and thats what i want playing in our midfield. Not some F***ing inconsistent lightweight.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1540: Mar 25, 2017 11:01:56 pm
      He's f***in sh*te . Hope i made that clear. What is it with fans who rate f**king sh*t players ? He's slow , cumbersome , lacking positional sense and an all round poor Footballer.
      Just watch him play. He's sh*te. Not suddenly going to turn into a worldbeater , and thats what i want playing in our midfield. Not some f**king inconsistent lightweight.

Are you related to Federer by any chance?

Quick Reply