Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 284552 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,264 posts | 2825 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #1656: Sep 02, 2017 01:56:20 pm

How is it different ?
      Can refuses to sign a contract so that he can go to Juventus on a free leaving us empty handed after we gave him his breakthrough..at least Coutinho signed a contract giving us leverage and a hefty pay if he eventually wants to leave.

He signed a contract and saw it through. Hes not obliged to sign another one though he might yet.

Its very different. Jn fact they have no similarities at all.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #1657: Sep 02, 2017 03:02:58 pm
      He signed a contract and saw it through. Hes not obliged to sign another one though he might yet.

Let's agree to disagree then..and it could be worse I suppose..you could be Barca and lose Messi on a free next year..we should be able to replace Can :)
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 259 
      Reply #1658: Sep 02, 2017 04:08:15 pm
      Just read Emre agrees to joint Juventus next summer, shame really if it's true.

Sorry I'm not see Shabs post as I always read from the last page :\
      Just read on twitter that Can has given his word to Juventus to join them next season?..

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2017 04:46:10 pm by skolRED »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #1659: Sep 02, 2017 05:29:52 pm
      This does really need to be sorted out.  Our squad is beginning to look good again since rafa days.  Still in the early stages we can't afford to be letting gems like Can go for nothing. 

Maybe we should give him to October and then Bench him. 

Some people have made a very good point.   Can quietly runs down the clock and leaves for nothing.    We will be left with a hole because he is a good player.  Coutinho goes for a record amount of money I mean more than last years world record.   It is obvious which is best for the club? No.    Is it not all about the club.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1660: Sep 02, 2017 05:34:08 pm

Is right Brian...no bullshit from Emre if he goes it was done the right way.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1661: Sep 02, 2017 06:11:56 pm

Spot on, if Emre goes without signing another contract he's made everyone aware of it with plenty of time to sort out his replacement if that's what is needed and he's fulfilled his obligations to us.

I'll be disappointed, probably gutted after watching him develop this season but he'd still leave with my best wishes.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1662: Sep 02, 2017 06:20:11 pm
      Is right Brian...no bullshit from Emre if he goes it was done the right way.
      I disagree, because the majority of the time Can has been here he has been absolutely sh*te! I can remember many times he was the worst player on the pitch. He gradually improved and now he is putting out performances where he could get in any side in the league. He could be MOTM sometimes now. This a more recent thing.
      We could have easily dropped him and got rid, but we didn't.. we were patient with him and just as he gets good, wants to go?
      I can understand the bench him comments if he is going. I wouldn't do it at our expense though, but I would not seek to develop players that aren't in it long term.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1663: Sep 02, 2017 06:23:13 pm
      Spot on, if Emre goes without signing another contract he's made everyone aware of it with plenty of time to sort out his replacement if that's what is needed and he's fulfilled his obligations to us.

I'll be disappointed, probably gutted after watching him develop this season but he'd still leave with my best wishes.
      That's the thing, he came to us as a potential player.. he is only just becoming good and people say he wants to go before we get any benefit from it? It's well known that top players without champions league have a reason to leave, but we have CL.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1664: Sep 02, 2017 06:32:33 pm
      That's the thing, he came to us as a potential player.. he is only just becoming good and people say he wants to go before we get any benefit from it? It's well known that top players without champions league have a reason to leave, but we have CL.

Do you suggest we threaten him or is family in order to keep him Riba?

What exactly are you going to do with him if he wants to leave.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1665: Sep 02, 2017 06:45:54 pm
      Do you suggest we threaten him or is family in order to keep him Riba?

What exactly are you going to do with him if he wants to leave.
      Without talking ridiculous, offer him new contract with an increase in wages that matches his current contribution and reflects our pay scales fairly? I would say if he keeps doing well like he has been, 120k? It is what Ox is getting now. Emre can is on £55,000 now.

Currently,

Sturridge £120k
      Milner £120k
      Ox £120k
      Danny Ings 60k
      Emre Can 55k
      « Last Edit: Sep 02, 2017 06:54:11 pm by Ribapuru »
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,989 posts | 240 
      Reply #1666: Sep 02, 2017 07:02:50 pm
      I am not sure if this is about wages.

The following is from an interview Can gave in March.

“I know I could do much better,” said Can. “I’ve had a few problems, calf problems, but I kept going and I played.

“Maybe it was not good that I played and did not have a break but the last few weeks were better and I feel strong again. I know when I am fit and pain-free I am confident. I know what I am going to do.

“I feel good at the moment. I have to come back to the old Emre because when I am fit I know what I am able to do and I am confident enough to know I can play much better than in the past.”

“I’ve had calf problems for many years and it has been very difficult for me because I’ve played out of position, which means more sprints. Ten minutes into the game I’ve not been able to feel my feet in a few games. I didn’t like to go to the media and say ‘I am injured’.

“I didn’t play well when it was my opportunity to play and it was my mistake. I play in a different position now and I don’t sprint too much. Last week was good, against Burnley was good and I was pain-free.

“When I play as a number eight I have to go forward and sprint more and I had a few problems with my calf. When I play at six you don’t have to sprint too much, you are in the middle and you have to make challenges and don’t have to go too far away. Maybe the trainer has to decide.”

The following is from an interview Klopp gave after the Watford game:

“His mind is not elsewhere. It is an important contract for him at his age. I am 100 per cent sure that we don't sell the player now in this situation, not a player from the first team line-up. He will play here for the next year that is for sure. All the rest we have to see.”

“In England it is two years before. Last year, there was no real readiness for negotiations but this year we have talked. We want him and he also wants to stay. It is about a few little details.

“It's not about having to make a decision about bringing in another player in the same position, the same size, the same skills. Emre is on a good way. He has really improved in a lot of parts and is a really important player for us, can play different positions."

So, I am not sure if Klopp looks at Can as a No.8 and Can wants to play No.6 to prolong his career. The part about bringing another player is telling. Oxlaide is 1.8m in height and Can is 1.84 (not same, but similar size). After the FA cup win Oxlaide said he wanted to be Stevie (Number 8 ). Maybe. Klopp doesn't fancy Can as a No.6 whereas Can wants to play at No.6 (similar to Oxlaide's situation at Arsenal). Just a thought...

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #1667: Sep 02, 2017 07:04:27 pm
      He certainly is showing signs of improvement, from last season. Although early days yet.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1668: Sep 02, 2017 07:06:40 pm
      Without talking ridiculous, offer him new contract with an increase in wages that matches his current contribution and reflects our pay scales fairly? I would say if he keeps doing well like he has been, 120k? It is what Ox is getting now. Emre can is on £55,000 now.

Currently,

Sturridge £120k
      Milner £120k
      Ox £120k
      Danny Ings 60k
      Emre Can 55k

Be said time and time again..to him it was not about money...Juve has been talking to him about building the entire mid-field around him...He want's basically to be a full time starter in his preferred position which is the same position as Jordon plays...we already offered him 100k week...he did not budge this is about what he feels is his future and game time.

Either way..there is nothing wrong with how he is approaching the situation; he is unsure as to his future and he does not want to commit to any club until he is....I applaud that and its the right way to treat the club.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,989 posts | 240 
      Reply #1669: Sep 02, 2017 07:09:45 pm
      Be said time and time again..to him it was not about money...Juve has been talking to him about building the entire mid-field around him...He want's basically to be a full time starter in his preferred position which is the same position as Jordon plays.

Which is also my opinion on this impasse.. fair play to him that he wants to honour his contract and not created any unnecessary melodrama. I believe he wants to stay. But, if he stays it will be a marriage of inconvenience.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1670: Sep 02, 2017 08:09:00 pm
      Which is also my opinion on this impasse.. fair play to him that he wants to honour his contract and not created any unnecessary melodrama. I believe he wants to stay. But, if he stays it will be a marriage of inconvenience.
      So make him Captain and give him a new deal. Regular starter, Henderson will just have to take one for the team.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,989 posts | 240 
      Reply #1671: Sep 02, 2017 08:19:13 pm
      So make him Captain and give him a new deal. Regular starter, Henderson will just have to take one for the team.

Let us not jump into any conclusions Ribs. He is getting there, yes, but there are a lot of games in which he has been below par. In fact, in the Hoffenheim away game he was sub-par. Also, his discipline and positional sense isn't that great. The reason why he has to come up with all those spectacular tackles is because he is not doing the basics right. And, maybe, this is the reason why Klopp doesn't see him in the No.6 role. 
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1672: Sep 03, 2017 06:26:53 am

Do you really believe that this is a rational approach for our club to make? Really?!

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1673: Sep 03, 2017 09:44:17 am
      Here's a thought: if Can wants to play as a #6 (whatever the F**k people think that means today it used to be left-half btw), with more defensive minded duties and Jürgen wants a ball carrying centre-half... 😉

Can alongside Matip with either sweeping as the other came out; sounds like a win win - til such times as FSG pay £70m for VvD obviously.  😊
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,989 posts | 240 
      Reply #1674: Sep 03, 2017 11:23:21 am

Not sure if it would be win win because this is what Can had to say on his role as a defender under Rodgers.

“It was very good to learn how to build the game and it was very important for me,”

“I enjoyed my time there but I feel at home in the midfield position. That’s where I like to be.”
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #1675: Sep 03, 2017 02:39:41 pm
      https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/904101658006781952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redcafe.net%2Fthreads%2Ftransfer-tweets-summer-2017-keep-it-on-topic.429443%2Fpage-919

So FSG finally get a player to fit intro their famous moneyball strategy but they are set to lose him on a free to the moneyball kings..haha oh the irony..and who's the moron that let his contract run until the last year ? guess not only Arsenal are that stupid
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #1676: Sep 03, 2017 03:09:02 pm
      https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/904101658006781952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redcafe.net%2Fthreads%2Ftransfer-tweets-summer-2017-keep-it-on-topic.429443%2Fpage-919

So FSG finally get a player to fit intro their famous moneyball strategy but they are set to lose him on a free to the moneyball kings..haha oh the irony..and who's the moron that let his contract run until the last year ? guess not only Arsenal are that stupid

If true, I hope Jürgen benches him in favor of Grujic.  No need to continue to develop him as a player.  If he misses out on the WC, even better.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1677: Sep 03, 2017 03:24:51 pm
      Not sure if it would be win win because this is what Can had to say on his role as a defender under Rodgers.

“It was very good to learn how to build the game and it was very important for me,”

“I enjoyed my time there but I feel at home in the midfield position. That’s where I like to be.”

What "midfield position"... a DEFENSIVE midfield position? He'd just be playing a slightly higher line than as a dedicated 'centre back' - the role a traditional #6 played. Think Tommy smith if it helps.
      I'm not sure any of these kids actually know what the F**k they talk about when they talk #4, #6, #8 or #10 to be honest and I'm positive [if the quotes then and now are real, that is] Emre Can definitely doesn't... he wants to play #6 but doesn't want to defend? Seriously?  He's taking the piss. :laugh:

Still that said; is Juve really a bigger draw than us and Jürgen now? Sad, if true.  :-\
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1678: Sep 03, 2017 03:37:30 pm
      Still that said; is Juve really a bigger draw than us and Jürgen now? Sad, if true.

Italian women, the lifestyle, probably more money (signing on fee included) and title wins every season....

Quick Reply