Trending Topics

Next match: Tranmere v LFC [Friendly] Thu 11th Jul @ 7:30 pm
      Prenton Park

Today is the 26th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 157805 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #1750: Sep 06, 2017 10:40:13 am
      Give him £60 million release clause. What ever the clause is it'll be a damn sight more than what we'll get as it stands right now

To do what with? We earn upwards of £81 million a season just from TV rights alone. That's before you factor in prize money, gate receipts and commercial deals. We don't need that money, what we need is to hang on to our best players and like Ribapuru said, give one to Can and everyone will want one and when everyone has one we'll become nothing but a feeder club for Europe's elite, with someone swooping in for our best player every Summer.  No thanks, we want to be part of Europe's elite again and I'd sooner us lose the player than become Barcelona's bi*ch. We have Keita coming in next season and he's an upgrade on Can. Emre can either be part of the push for greatness or he can go be a bit part player for someone else.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,607 posts | 4165 
      Reply #1751: Sep 06, 2017 11:37:14 am
      We earn upwards of £81 million a season just from TV rights alone.

Double that.  And that's just the Premier League.

Really astonishing the whole scenario this from Liverpool.  They must have gauged from the discussions that started year ago if he was going to sign, and if he wasn't I can't believe they didn't try and sell him this summer.

I wonder if this one slipped through the net when Ian Ayre was getting off and Michael Edwards came in.  Starting to look like a massive balls up and looks like he is off.

And, I wonder what the motivation was for Liverpool leaking this 'release clause' thing to the press... Hmm? Turn the fans against him so the club don't look like morons when he leaves for 0 perhaps?
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #1752: Sep 06, 2017 12:24:27 pm
      Can is overrated. Give him his release clause, 50 Mio. €, plus that he has to contact Liverpool early enough to avoid what Barca had to deal with the late Neymar transfer. So we can spend the 50 Mio. € right away, plenty of better players out there for that kind of money. Again, Can is overrated!
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,651 posts | 1855 
      Reply #1753: Sep 06, 2017 12:58:14 pm
      If he wants a release clause set it at £150 million, if some club comes along willing to pay that then we get a nice chunk of money. Even if a release clause is reached it doesn't mean a player has to leave.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,953 posts | 1971 
      Reply #1754: Sep 06, 2017 01:07:21 pm
      Ultimately if he wants to stay he will find a solution and sign.
      The club may not want to give him a release clause  (if that's truly what's holding it up) but they certainly wont want him to leave for nothing

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,495 posts | 2305 
      Reply #1755: Sep 06, 2017 01:10:33 pm
      Double that.  And that's just the Premier League.

Really astonishing the whole scenario this from Liverpool.  They must have gauged from the discussions that started year ago if he was going to sign, and if he wasn't I can't believe they didn't try and sell him this summer.

I wonder if this one slipped through the net when Ian Ayre was getting off and Michael Edwards came in.  Starting to look like a massive balls up and looks like he is off.

And, I wonder what the motivation was for Liverpool leaking this 'release clause' thing to the press... Hmm? Turn the fans against him so the club don't look like morons when he leaves for 0 perhaps?

You know the craic.
      If the club say nothing they are aloof, distant and "don't communicate with the fans".
      If they put out a statement, it becomes "oh it's just PR spin".

They really can't win.
      Slagged if they do, slagged if they don't.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,607 posts | 4165 
      Reply #1756: Sep 06, 2017 01:18:50 pm
      They really can't win.
      Slagged if they do, slagged if they don't.

Hardly. I was just wondering what the motivation was with them releasing that particular snippet of information, at this particular point in time, to their three little friends in the media.

We don't normally hear contact intricacies leaked like this from the club so I stand by my interpretation of why - it's to make Can look unreasonable so that when he leaves for nothing LFC look blameless.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,495 posts | 2305 
      Reply #1757: Sep 06, 2017 01:26:11 pm
      Hardly. I was just wondering what the motivation was with them releasing that particular snippet of information, at this particular point in time, to their three little friends in the media.

We don't normally hear contact intricacies leaked like this from the club so I stand by my interpretation of why - it's to make Can look unreasonable so that when he leaves for nothing LFC look blameless.

It was just a general point.
      I didn't mean you in particular, so perhaps I should have been clearer about that.

As a general point, I think it still stands.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,577 posts | 2337 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1758: Sep 06, 2017 02:30:29 pm

The Coutinho effect.
      I reckon Coutinho not being released will make a lot of players reassess contracts with no release clauses.
      That aside you'd have to wonder would this not have been resolved sooner if Can had been offered better wages sooner. 2nd half of the season he was probably the best midfielder, after Coutinho.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,432 posts | 3215 
      Reply #1759: Sep 06, 2017 03:12:32 pm

As opposed to no f**king contact whatever from their enclave in Boston.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,651 posts | 1855 
      Reply #1760: Sep 06, 2017 03:27:19 pm

How do you know its the club that leaked it and not the agent or player or players representatives etc.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,953 posts | 1971 
      Reply #1761: Sep 06, 2017 03:57:33 pm
      How do you know its the club that leaked it and not the agent or player or players representatives etc.

It's not really a story that benefits them so it's unlikely
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,539 posts | 3143 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1762: Sep 06, 2017 04:02:38 pm
      I guess it all depends on who reckons they have the position of strength really. For us fans looking on the interpretation of who "holds the cards" is probably evenly split; depending how we rate him.

Personally speaking I don't see any merit [football wise obviously] in letting him go. He's entering his peak years and it seems a tad pointless to have nurtured him through 'potential' only to let him go, for free, just as he is realising that potential.

That said: if we replace him with better... bye. Will [have] we tho? I'm not sure. 😕
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,320 posts | 726 
      Reply #1763: Sep 06, 2017 05:01:41 pm
      The way fees skyrocketed in this past window, I'd say set that clause at a very high mark (someone said 60 million - not sure that's high enough in context).

I think for any top players, especially one playing outside his home, these clauses are going to be pretty standard.

The bulk of the club's revenue is always going to come from the team being successful, which means paying what you need to, to keep star players.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 323 posts | 62 
      Reply #1764: Sep 06, 2017 06:01:38 pm
      If he does go for nothing then somebody needs to fall on the sword over it.

He was a typical moneyball signing bought cheap with potential.

To not get either the best years out of him or a nice transfer fee through mismanagement is unforgivable.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #1765: Sep 06, 2017 06:12:18 pm
      The Coutinho effect.
      I reckon Coutinho not being released will make a lot of players reassess contracts with no release clauses.
      That aside you'd have to wonder would this not have been resolved sooner if Can had been offered better wages sooner. 2nd half of the season he was probably the best midfielder, after Coutinho.
      I would say VD effect, Van Dijk will probably miss out on champions league for his whole career.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,473 posts | 1209 
      Reply #1766: Sep 07, 2017 02:26:12 pm
      I expect he will sign a new contract which includes a release clause somewhere the region of £75 million.

I also expect him to stay at least two more seasons.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,238 posts | 638 
      Reply #1767: Sep 07, 2017 03:43:37 pm
      The way fees skyrocketed in this past window, I'd say set that clause at a very high mark (someone said 60 million - not sure that's high enough in context).

I think for any top players, especially one playing outside his home, these clauses are going to be pretty standard.

The bulk of the club's revenue is always going to come from the team being successful, which means paying what you need to, to keep star players.

Can may not sign if we set it too high.  He may feel that a steep buyout clause will deter interest from other clubs.  At this point, anything is better than nothing.  If we set it at 25M, he signs the extension, then switches to Juve in the summer, we will habe gotten 25M more than the current alternative we are looking at....
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,320 posts | 726 
      Reply #1768: Sep 07, 2017 04:48:34 pm
      Can may not sign if we set it too high.  He may feel that a steep buyout clause will deter interest from other clubs.  At this point, anything is better than nothing.  If we set it at 25M, he signs the extension, then switches to Juve in the summer, we will habe gotten 25M more than the current alternative we are looking at....

I get it, but I hope our much larger focus is on signing the player and KEEPING him here. I mean if he's just another hired gun, OK. But I would have thought he would be on board for the long haul, for an upward-trending mission to win and win a lot.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,238 posts | 638 
      Reply #1769: Sep 07, 2017 08:43:37 pm
      I get it, but I hope our much larger focus is on signing the player and KEEPING him here. I mean if he's just another hired gun, OK. But I would have thought he would be on board for the long haul, for an upward-trending mission to win and win a lot.

I agree.  If Jürgen wants to keep him then I hope we manage to do just that.  However, if Can is dead set on leaving, then it would be better for us to get a fee rather than lose him for nothing. 

Even if he is set on leaving, there are still ways to coax him into signing an extension -- tell him that if he doesn't sign, then he won't play in the buildup to the WC.  Sign the extension with a reasonable buyout clause and get a nice pay rise for the next 9 months.  He would still play his best footie hoping to be involved in the WC team.  Then he could transfer to Juve (or wherever) and we at least get some money to reinvest -- or Johnny W gets a nice new yacht....
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,772 posts | 228 
      Reply #1770: Sep 08, 2017 03:32:25 am
      I have been one of Emre's biggest critics and have never understood all the high praise he has received over the years.
      Until this season.
      For all the flaws in a 3 man midfield of him, hendo and Gini, the last few weeks have by and large worked pretty well.
      Yes, the current stagnation in his contract renewal has been poorly handled BUT I see no reason to drop him because Of this and jettison Phil straight back in. Can doesn't dersve to be dropped
      If his issues are playing time then I can kind of see his reasoning for it signing a long term deal yet BUT if it's purely because he wants to head to juventus and end up being Kheidera's longterm replacement, then it's kind of odd.
      I say keep selecting him until he warrants being dropped and allowing the club the opportunity to make their own mind up
      If he was to leave, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed because I think we are more than covered currently and going into 18/19 season.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #1771: Sep 08, 2017 02:59:51 pm
      Just get him signed up - who cares about the release clause?

I get the 'feeder club for Europe' and I would ask, 'hows that worked out for us lately'? We are a feeder club to Barca etal (Masch, Alonso, Suarez and almost Couthino) selling our best players. At least if he has the clause we can reinvest - if we get nothing for him does anyone thing our owners are going to replace him out of their own pocket?

Sign the lad up, get him playing well and see what happens - way he is going this season he will be in demand. We have to ask, why the hell we are in this situation to be fair - why have we let it run on for so long.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,277 posts | 3324 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #1772: Sep 09, 2017 08:05:56 am
      Ultimately if he wants to stay he will find a solution and sign.
      The club may not want to give him a release clause  (if that's truly what's holding it up) but they certainly wont want him to leave for nothing

Obviously. As if he should be able to go for f**k all. Major balls up but it's happened and I'd be stunned if they didn't give him the clause at this point.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1773: Sep 09, 2017 11:21:33 am
      Just get him signed up - who cares about the release clause?

I get the 'feeder club for Europe' and I would ask, 'hows that worked out for us lately'? We are a feeder club to Barca etal (Masch, Alonso, Suarez and almost Couthino) selling our best players. At least if he has the clause we can reinvest - if we get nothing for him does anyone thing our owners are going to replace him out of their own pocket?

Sign the lad up, get him playing well and see what happens - way he is going this season he will be in demand. We have to ask, why the hell we are in this situation to be fair - why have we let it run on for so long.

You will when the big clubs around Europe start cherry picking our players each season. Did you see Coutinho sign for Barcalona this Summer? The owners made a stance and said we're the big club and we keep our best players. We sold Sterling but had we been investing in the squad like we are now, he wouldn't have been one of our best players. Suarez was sold to Barcelona I grant you so out of the last decade, we've sold two players to top European clubs. That hardly makes us a feeder club which will will be if every player has a release clause.

This entire situation is another example of poor planning from the transfer department. Until that's overhauled we're going to continue seeing debacles such as this and Van Dyke.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,284 posts | 1908 
      • From Doubters to Believers
      Reply #1774: Sep 09, 2017 11:27:20 am
      Really can't see the problem if the lad wants a release clause built into a new deal, in fact you would have thought the owners would welcome such a move so as to ensure financial reward if Can decided to seek pastures new, how old is he 23 ? so plenty of quality years ahead of him of which we should see the best part of,
      i'd be inclined to put a minimum of £80m on his head and if he develops into the player we all hope, we can increase that figure as time goes on, the important thing is he's our player and a pivotal part of Jürgen's plans, so why sell him on, he's a top player and as recent events have shown we are no longer a selling club, we are building, and building something very special,

with Naby imminent the quality in midfield will obviously improve, atm tho, its not too strong, with the Ox to come in also we can see that Jürgen is addressing the issues of a weak central area,

Get this lad signed up asap, and make sure he knows he's a pivotal part of the grand plan, i think we have yet to see the best of him and bringing in players such as Keita will only bring the best out of Can.

YNWA

Quick Reply