Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Leicester [Premier League] Wed 30th Jan @ 8:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of January and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W11 D5 L6

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 147903 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,759 posts | 3411 
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #30: Jun 05, 2014 04:46:19 pm
      Think I'll wait to see what he looks like on the pitch before I get too carried away, I can still remember the Sahin thread and how he was supposed to be a f**king world-beater!
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #31: Jun 05, 2014 04:50:04 pm
      Think I'll wait to see what he looks like on the pitch before I get too carried away, I can still remember the Sahin thread and how he was supposed to be a f**king world-beater!

The equal would be the manager playing Can as a goal keeper or winger.

He played Sahin completely out of position.

That being said, Can is a very quality player who if he settles will do very well here.
      Semple

• 7,851 posts | 143 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #32: Jun 05, 2014 04:51:53 pm
      Not seen a lot of him but his versatility is certainly a positive, as well as his age. He strikes me as someone who just need a little bit of fine-tuning in order to be up their with being 'excellent'. I am pretty sure I saw him play (if it wasn't him, I feel stupid) for a German youth team against Mexico in a final of a youth tournament. Pretty sure it was in Mexico, as every game was full of Mexico fans, and if it was him, I couldn't believe his stature and build at such a young age. He really stood out for me and, if I remember correctly, got a great goal in the final. I remember hearing he was at Bayern and thought 'no chance anyone like us will be buying him'. If it really was him, how stupid I was!! What slightly sickens me is that he is 3 years younger than me. :'(

Anyway, welcome to the club Emre!
      Semple

• 7,851 posts | 143 
      Reply #33: Jun 05, 2014 04:59:23 pm
      I knew I wasn't making it up, although it was the semi-final, not the final. If I also remember correctly, Samed Yesil was playing so he might know him. 25 secs in:

http://youtu.be/NZp4pSR1Q68
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #34: Jun 05, 2014 05:01:21 pm
      Hes certainly confident in possession. Welcome to a team who possesses more than most. ;-)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,015 posts | 2802 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #35: Jun 05, 2014 05:03:20 pm
      if Emre Can was that good would they be selling him after one season for 10m?

It's his release clause, they have no choice so before you start trying to criticise the deal maybe know your facts first.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,597 posts | 1870 
      Reply #36: Jun 05, 2014 05:03:31 pm
      I knew I wasn't making it up, although it was the semi-final, not the final. If I also remember correctly, Samed Yesil was playing so he might know him. 25 secs in:

http://youtu.be/NZp4pSR1Q68

Maybe Yesil can help him settle :)
      Both of Turkish/German descent as well.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,658 posts | 462 
      Reply #37: Jun 05, 2014 05:04:22 pm
      We're not messing about are we.
      Semple

• 7,851 posts | 143 
      Reply #38: Jun 05, 2014 05:09:11 pm
      Maybe Yesil can help him settle :)
      Both of Turkish/German descent as well.

Some underestimate the impact this kind of thing can have on a player signing or settling in to a new club but I agree with you. To add to that, wouldn't be surprised if Big Sami had a word in his ear.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,228 posts | 3184 
      Reply #39: Jun 05, 2014 05:15:49 pm
      Some underestimate the impact this kind of thing can have on a player signing or settling in to a new club but I agree with you. To add to that, wouldn't be surprised if Big Sami had a word in his ear.

You know he did...he looks out for us.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #40: Jun 05, 2014 05:16:33 pm

Exactly...and its great to see we are moving quickly this transfer window.
      I cant comment on Emre Can as I havent seen much of him, but I do like the way we are going about our business.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,228 posts | 3184 
      Reply #41: Jun 05, 2014 05:26:28 pm
      One thing about Can...he looks like he's got a bit of swagger about him, no nonsense, kick you as soon as look at you type of attitude. I like that and think we need more of it in the squad.

althebest1
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,451 posts | 335 
      Reply #42: Jun 05, 2014 06:14:21 pm
      Excellent signing, now go and get Martinez to complete a strong midfield "squad". Right back, left back and another striker if poss, bring on the CL.
      Bier
      Reply #43: Jun 05, 2014 06:17:28 pm
      Excellent signing, now go and get Martinez to complete a strong midfield "squad".

Don't see that happening, wouldn't make sense. Martinez plays the same position as Gerrard, Can and Lucas do. Even if Lucas leaves I can't see Brendan going for a big name like Martinez, as he'd prevent Can from getting any playing time whatsoever.
      harrydunn08

• 5,191 posts | 620 
      Reply #44: Jun 05, 2014 06:18:19 pm
      Can't wait to see him holding the scarf!!  Welcome aboard lad, I'm expecting big things from you :)
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,556 posts | 1767 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #45: Jun 05, 2014 06:22:35 pm
      Don't see that happening, wouldn't make sense. Martinez plays the same position as Gerrard, Can and Lucas do. Even if Lucas leaves I can't see Brendan going for a big name like Martinez, as he'd prevent Can from getting any playing time whatsoever.

i totally agree.

Brendan loves versatility.
      tezmac

• 6,226 posts | 142 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #46: Jun 05, 2014 06:31:06 pm
      Welcome Emre hope your stay will be productive
      bmck

• 5,587 posts | 740 
      • YNWA
      Reply #47: Jun 05, 2014 09:24:12 pm
      Welcome Emre !! BR with a German signing to help get us through any CL peno shootouts. He thinks of everything :)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #48: Jun 05, 2014 09:57:49 pm
      Very shrewd deal indeed .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #49: Jun 05, 2014 10:25:42 pm
      £10m could prove cheap in time. Some incredible reviews about this lad which certainly spark some interest but going to reserve judgement for watching him myself.

Welcome to the club Emre, something just tells me this could be a very good buy indeed.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #50: Jun 05, 2014 10:42:07 pm

Err, didn't we start off in the same vain last season? Hopefully lessons have been learnt. Especially if Brendan has identified players that are possibly playing in the WC.

Difference this term is that there's a lot more cash and incentive for higher calibre players to come and join the wonderful institution that is LFC.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,015 posts | 2802 
      Reply #51: Jun 05, 2014 10:44:07 pm
      didn't we start off in the same vain last season?

Yep, then didn't do anything until deadline day and ended up with Victor Moses...
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,140 posts | 1252 
      Reply #52: Jun 05, 2014 11:14:41 pm
      To be honest, I'm more confident on the Rickie Lambert signing being more of a success BUT ONLY because I know absolutely nothing about Can. Sure, I've seen the Youtube videos, but even I would look world class in a YouTube compilation video.

I sure as hell hope he's an improvement on Lucas. We won't be able to play Gerrard all the time next season so hopefully Can's defensive capabilities makes him a satisfactory replacement for the captain. Of course, we still keep Lucas as he offers depth for a busy season, but against stronger sides he shouldn't be playing (unless we want him to be given the run around constantly).

But only 20 years old, years of development ahead and for less than £10 million in an inflated market is a good deal that can't go wrong. Fingers crossed he turns out next season to be an absolute steal.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,140 posts | 1252 
      Reply #53: Jun 05, 2014 11:19:26 pm
      Yep, then didn't do anything until deadline day and ended up with Victor Moses...

Victor Moses should be the poster boy in warnings for transfer deadline signings. Smacked of desperation. Thank f**k he will never play in a red shirt ever again.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,015 posts | 2802 
      Reply #54: Jun 05, 2014 11:37:29 pm
      Victor Moses should be the poster boy in warnings for transfer deadline signings. Smacked of desperation. Thank f**k he will never play in a red shirt ever again.

I swear to god if we sign him now I am personally going to ban you, and then ban you again and then just for good measure go through and delete every single one of your posts except this one just so you will have the reminder ;)
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,155 posts | 114 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #55: Jun 05, 2014 11:47:40 pm
      Welcome to the club.
      PurpleMonkey

• 9,123 posts | 1473 
      Reply #56: Jun 06, 2014 01:59:24 am
      I wanted to see us sign an improved version of Henderson or very similar and from what I've seen on YT It looks like Can could be that player. He looks to have the athleticism and power, the hallmarks of a box-box player, whether he has the work ethic and teamwork remains to be seen. If he does... I can see a 2nd Henderson in the making :D

I'm really excited and can't wait to see what he can offer. Just Imagine, 2 Henderson's with Gerrard sitting, we'll have total control of the midfield!!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,937 posts | 2582 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #57: Jun 06, 2014 07:12:03 am
      Very happy with this signing, welcome Emre!

If our very own resident German expert is happy with this signing, I'm happy with this signing.

Only kidding, I was made up as soon as I saw the news this morning. (But I always look to see what Bier says  ;)  )

Welcome Emre, to the Greatest Football Club on The Planet.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,759 posts | 3411 
      Reply #58: Jun 06, 2014 01:17:12 pm
      The equal would be the manager playing Can as a goal keeper or winger.

He played Sahin completely out of position.

That being said, Can is a very quality player who if he settles will do very well here.

Yeah but people were having orgasms over him when he signed, he played in a red shirt and looked sh*t and slow! Can only judge what I see with my own eyes and he wasn't even on a par with Hendo.

Good luck to Can, but as said going to hold fire and see how he does before completely judging him in a red shirt.
      althebest1
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,451 posts | 335 
      Reply #59: Jun 06, 2014 02:03:58 pm

There is no reason at all why Martinez and Can cannot play in the same team, Stevie can't play 60 games a season and Lucas could possibly be on his way out.

Quick Reply