Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 284639 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #552: Mar 09, 2015 08:21:38 pm
      Nowhere near being ready to play in midfield for us.

Yeah, he's got a lot of work to do. He looked slow and indecisive. Far more comfortable with him asserting himself in defence.

Doesn't help when he has played every minute of the previous 18 matches.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #553: Mar 09, 2015 08:40:10 pm
      Nowhere near being ready to play in midfield for us.

bit harsh that. i would give him couple of more games in the midfield before making up my mind. he just had one bad game, wasnt a mare but a bad game. every player have them. still a class player and i still think he is too good to play in defence.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #554: Mar 09, 2015 08:52:27 pm
      bit harsh that. i would give him couple of more games in the midfield before making up my mind. he just had one bad game, wasnt a mare but a bad game. every player have them. still a class player and i still think he is too good to play in defence.

He was the same against Besiktas and we miss his ability to pass out and make those long striding runs from deep.
      His best position atm is RCB.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #555: Mar 09, 2015 09:09:35 pm

He was the same against Besiktas and we miss his ability to pass out and make those long striding runs from deep.
      His best position atm is RCB.

I agree
      When 3 at the back you really need someone that can stride into midfield
      Sakho can do it sonetimes and Johnson to an extent but he's always been a wider player, Skrtel and Toure ain't interested. I think Lovern could do it, he did it a lot with Southampton but I think he's so worried about his defensive game just now that he's not thinking about making the play himself.
      Conclusion : Lovern/Sakho, Skrtel, Can back 3 remainder of season for me
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #556: Mar 09, 2015 11:15:08 pm
      I think we should look into nurturing him as a CB. He could really be a beast at the back for us in years to come, him and Sahko.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #557: Mar 09, 2015 11:54:45 pm
      I think we should look into nurturing him as a CB. He could really be a beast at the back for us in years to come, him and Sahko.

Or perhaps give him more than 2 games in the mid-field before writing him off.

This guy has the potential to be a world class box-box mid-fielder, I would rather have him at that position than as a CB

Honestly the guy has been shifted around everywhere, missed the pre-season and a good portion of the early season.

5-6 games consistent in the mid-field and he will be just fine; I expect to see him and Jordy side by side come pre-season.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #558: Mar 10, 2015 12:10:57 am

This guy has the potential to be a world class box-box mid-fielder, I would rather have him at that position than as a CB

Honestly the guy has been shifted around everywhere, missed the pre-season and a good portion of the early season.

5-6 games consistent in the mid-field and he will be just fine; I expect to see him and Jordy side by side come pre-season.

As a CB/RCB, he is a beast. Rarely do you find a CB that can tackle and be so composed and comfortable on the ball when pressured. I actually think he has the potential to be one of the best CB's in the world from what I've seen :o
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #559: Mar 10, 2015 05:07:27 am
      One bad game and Emre Can cannot play in midfield. Let's turn him in to a CB permanently.

sh*t all season but Markovic is young, only 21, new country, needs time to settle, give him time, stop bashing him.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #560: Mar 10, 2015 05:57:50 am
      One bad game and Emre Can cannot play in midfield. Let's turn him in to a CB permanently.

Sh*t all season but Markovic is young, only 21, new country, needs time to settle, give him time, stop bashing him.

Fair point.

But, he did have an ordinary game in midfield the other day.  ;D
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #561: Mar 10, 2015 06:05:34 am

Sh*t all season but Markovic is young, only 21, new country, needs time to settle, give him time, stop bashing him.

Look around world football just now, good center backs are harder to find than good midfielders
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #562: Mar 10, 2015 10:22:50 am

Emre isnt going to be any more mobile with more games in midfield Im afraid. Those quick turns, short bursts of acceleration are crucial elements in central midfielder. He has lost a good bit of weight, have had more than half a year to get in terms with the speed of PL in the middle of the pitch but still looks way too slow, even against Championship side. Should be kept in central defence imo.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #563: Mar 10, 2015 10:27:36 am
      He's a central midfielder by trade but can play numerous positions. I think peeps are being a little harsh on him.

You have to remember he has gone from no football to playing 18 games on the trot without missing a minute (including extra-time against Chelsea and Besiktas too) - he does look knackered at times. He will be a top central midfielder if we can find a central defender to play with Skrtel/Sakho next season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #564: Mar 10, 2015 11:00:37 am
      I understand why people have been wanting to see Emre play in midfield after his outstanding performances at RCB. 

His reading of the game, the way he powers out of defense with the ball, his tenacity and strength are all traits we've been missing from midfield for years but those traits are almost unheard of in a CB so it gives us a weapon that other teams don't have.

Talking to a coach the other day about his game, where he should play and how to develop his game, he said that if Emre wants to get into the German national team he should stay at CB for those very reasons. 

He is unique in what he brings to a team playing in that position but not so much playing in midfield.  Now that doesn't mean that he can't or won't play in midfield eventually but for now I'd prefer him to remain at RCB.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #565: Mar 10, 2015 11:02:06 am
      He's a central midfielder by trade but can play numerous positions. I think peeps are being a little harsh on him.

You have to remember he has gone from no football to playing 18 games on the trot without missing a minute (including extra-time against Chelsea and Besiktas too) - he does look knackered at times. He will be a top central midfielder if we can find a central defender to play with Skrtel/Sakho next season.

I think some people are being very harsh on him. Basically judging his future as a central midfielder based on one performance which came after so many consecutive matches without rest and choosing not to think about his other central midfield performances.

insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #566: Mar 10, 2015 11:07:43 am
      I think some people are being very harsh on him. Basically judging his future as a central midfielder based on one performance which came after so many consecutive matches without rest and choosing not to think about his other central midfield performances.

Fully agree.

However, he does remind me of Alan Hansen when he brings the ball out the defence and powers forward. He could be a Franz Beckenbauer/Matthias Sammer libero kind of player for the German national team too. Terrific player is Emre Can.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #567: Mar 10, 2015 11:42:47 am

No one has suggested he will not in the future be a top class midfielder, we all hope he does as he has all the attributes.

At the moment he is not yet ready as seen by his performances which is understandable for a 20 year old learning his trade,

Leave him at RCB and give him time to learn.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #568: Mar 10, 2015 01:03:19 pm
      Fully agree.

However, he does remind me of Alan Hansen when he brings the ball out the defence and powers forward. He could be a Franz Beckenbauer/Matthias Sammer libero kind of player for the German national team too. Terrific player is Emre Can.

Sammer, what a player!!! I only watched him in CL and National games, but from what I remember, he was one of the best defenders I've seen, perhaps the best. I remember him being able to make marauding runs, relieving pressure from defence, perfect hollywood balls and commanding at the back. There are certainly similarities there.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #569: Mar 10, 2015 01:20:10 pm
      Sammer, what a player!!! I only watched him in CL and National games, but from what I remember, he was one of the best defenders I've seen, perhaps the best. I remember him being able to make marauding runs, relieving pressure from defence, perfect hollywood balls and commanding at the back. There are certainly similarities there.

Same here. Watched him during international tournaments and CL. He was a monster at Euro 1996.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #570: Mar 10, 2015 08:38:00 pm
      I think where Can plays is dependent on the system. It's a big ask having him (or any CM for that matter) play in a 2 man midfield with Brendan's tactics like we do with the 3-4-3, but we saw how great he looked in formations with a back 4.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #571: Mar 11, 2015 12:28:47 pm
      he could play in goal he's that good, the lad was a bit tired playing all those games back to back with no rest or being subbed. now we have a bit of a break between games he will be back stronger than ever
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #572: Mar 11, 2015 01:35:23 pm

Agreed. Also all players are going to have off days. I'm just glad it came in a game where we get a second shot at winning it.

Edit: That said, I don't really buy the "tired" excuse. He plays in one of the least physically demanding positions, and had more than 48 hours rest. He also didn't play for most of the first half of the season so I would be surprised if there was a cumulative fitness issue.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #573: Mar 11, 2015 03:09:50 pm
      The only problem I have with Can moving out from RCB is that somebody else has to play there.
      He is the best player we have at the club for the role, so leave him there.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #574: Mar 11, 2015 03:11:57 pm
      The only problem I have with Can moving out from RCB is that somebody else has to play there.
      He is the best player we have at the club for the role, so leave him there.

Totally agree mate. 

Quick Reply